Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭moany fuc

migrant wrote: »
    The reason is in the title of this thread.

Can you explain???

Was under the impression Brexit caused the delivery delays, not the more then one week dispatch times for in stock Prime items.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

migrant wrote: »
    The reason is in the title of this thread.

No its not, are you trying to say Brexit is delaying the dispatch of items solely? Forget about customs checks, its the cause of delays leaving the warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

moany fuc wrote: »
    So delivery problems or not, customs or not. Amazon seem to not give a crap about this market anymore when they cant even dispatch items.
    Someone must be able to shed some light on it at this stage. Bit funny how they've suddenly stopped dispatching orders. Wouldn't they be losing money that way? Must be something else going on

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I had a quick goo over the thread and didn't see it mentioned, so apologies if I missed it:

Someone in a facebook book group I'm in (in another EU country) bought a book with free delivery but saw the shipping company who filled out the export form put in £90 as the cost for shipping the item as the retailer did not list the delivery fees separately. This meant he had to pay a significantly larger amount in VAT. I don't think it was Amazon but rather Book Depository, owned by Amazon, so I'm thinking it could happen to their parcels too.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

I’d no shipping cost is available, the next option when clearing is to use the carriers published tariff which is normally substantially higher than the actual rate.. hence the €90 cost for shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I'm sure Amazon must have millions of order now with all the people locked down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Books seem to be coming from France now as well as Germany for me, 5 days maximum currently between order and delivery which in the current climate is not bad at all and that is on about 20 different individual orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

VG31 wrote: »
    Firstly, he should get the Book Depository to reimburse him for that.

Secondly, books are VAT zero-rated in Ireland so you won't have that issue here.

It could apply to any item though. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen it, as plenty of retailers list free delivery.

Anyway, this was an oversized graphic novel collection, and comics are taxed at 9%, sadly. Amazon have been adding this on at checkout. A 1200+ page deluxe hardback book with an RRP of $125 is taxed the same as an issue of the Beano. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Two items ordered on the 6th, finally dispatched on the 13th and out for delivery this morning with the postman! Dispatched from the UK through Trafford Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yet I, not Prime, ordered 2 items fulfilled by Amazon on 9th January and they were dispatched this morning.

Arrived today following dispatch on 13th. No postal delays, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - it's taking forever for them to actually dispatch stuff - could be some pre-checking they need to do on orders going out of UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

sdanseo wrote: »
    Under the trade agreement, almost all consumer goods have no duty applicable. For terminology purposes, Duties and Tariffs are the same thing.
    You can check on the EC Taric website whether duty applies to the commodity you are importing: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...on.jsp?Lang=en

I always order Sold & Dispatched by Amazon items and ignore everything else (e.g. not dealing with 3rd party sellers ever).

Can I expect these to be duty-free (+VAT of course) after 1 July 2021 regardless of value?
    ...or do I still need to expect the situation vary regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

xboxdad wrote: »
    I always order Sold & Dispatched by Amazon items and ignore everything else (e.g. not dealing with 3rd party sellers ever).

Can I expect these to be duty-free (+VAT of course)?
    ...or do I still need to expect the situation vary regardless?

If the order is <E22, then no duty or VAT. Duty will be applied if the item's over the E22, and VAT is payable if it's over E150. Those prices include P & P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If the order is <E22, then no duty or VAT. Duty will be applied if the item's over the E22, and VAT is payable if it's over E150. Those prices include P & P

Thats backwards.

I'm asking about this part of the summary post specifically:

"Under the trade agreement, almost all consumer goods have no duty applicable"

I'm not asking about VAT, I'm asking about the import duty applied on items Sold & Dispatched by Amazon, from the 1st of July, regardless of value (300 EUR for example).

Can I expect these to be duty free? (VAT to be paid of course)

Thank you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It depends on the origin of the product.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It depends on the origin of the product.

Does Sold & Dispatched by Amazon not eliminate this question?
    These always arrived in 1-2 days from ordering, e.g. they're already in the EU or the UK with which we have a trade agreement now granting duty free handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭corkie

These always arrived in 1-2 days from ordering, e.g. they're already in the EU or the UK with which we have a trade agreement now granting duty free handling.

Duty Free only applies to Items solely produced/manufacturer in UK.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

If they are imported to UK and sold on to EU, duties will be required.

corkie wrote: »
    Duty Free only applies to Items solely produced/manufacturer in UK.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

If they are imported to UK and sold on to EU, duties will be required.

Oh, that's a bummer... Thank you.
    So my only hope is they'll create an amazon.ie otherwise it'll never get back to 1-2 days shipping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭jusvi2001

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Arrived today following dispatch on 13th. No postal delays, that's for sure.

What was the estimated delivery date?

It does not.

• Advertisement

Timing on a tablet cover ordered Saturday 9th, is probably made in China.

Before 1/1 woukd be dispatched within hours and be with me either next day or 2 days.

Now its taking days to a) pick the item and another few to dispatch.

Friday, 15 January

11:33 AM

Initiated customs clearance process

Rochester, GB

9:03 AM

Package departed an Amazon facility

Rochester, Kent GB

Wednesday, 13 January

11:07 AM

Package arrived at an Amazon facility

Rochester, Medway GB

Tuesday, 12 January

Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    What was the estimated delivery date?

22nd January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

Can u set a filter for Sold & dispatched by Amazon?

robwen wrote: »
    Can u set a filter for Sold & dispatched by Amazon?

What I do is:
    • Prime checkbox checked
    • Display items with 4 stars at minimum
    • Look for at least a few hundred ratings (e.g. not picking 5 star items with 12 ratings)
    • Then I check on the details page to make sure it's Sold & Dispatched by Amazon (at this point I don't have an overwhelming amount of items to go through anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jonnybangbang

VG31 wrote: »
    Not St Helen's, but I have a package with no tracking updates since Tuesday last week that was supposed to arrive two days ago. Another order placed around the same time had very similar tracking but that showed up in Dublin a day early.

Tuesday, 5 January
    3:17 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Rochester, GB
    3:07 PM
    Rochester, GB
    1:24 AM
    Rochester, Kent GB

Monday, 4 January
    2:33 PM
    Rochester, Medway GB
    Package has shipped

I have a very similar story to this one, I ordered two items on 4th of January. One item was due on the 12th but arrived on the 11th of January.

Second item was due for delivery on the 12th. No sign. checked status on 13th of January.... apologies , item is running late. Item may come in next day. if item has not arrived by 14th of January you can claim refund the next day.

item still has not arrived today, When I check the status of order now on amazon now it gives me an option to "Claim a Refund". When I click this button I'm brought to a screen "Occasionally parcels arrive a day or more after they are expected. Please come back here if it hasn't shown up by Friday, 6 Jun for a refund or a replacement."
    So I have to wait 5 months ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

I have a very similar story to this one, I ordered two items on 4th of January. One item was due on the 12th but arrived on the 11th of January.

Second item was due for delivery on the 12th. No sign. checked status on 13th of January.... apologies , item is running late. Item may come in next day. if item has not arrived by 14th of January you can claim refund the next day.

item still has not arrived today, When I check the status of order now on amazon now it gives me an option to "Claim a Refund". When I click this button I'm brought to a screen "Occasionally parcels arrive a day or more after they are expected. Please come back here if it hasn't shown up by Friday, 6 Jun for a refund or a replacement."

That sounds like a bug on the site. I was able to get a refund today. You should contact them through the chat.

Another parcel with similar tracking but sent later a few days later showed up today, 3 days early. A week from the UK is still very long though.
    Friday, 15 January
    3:07 PM
    Delivered
    Dublin, IE
    9:26 AM
    Out for delivery
    Dublin, IE
    3:04 AM
    Package arrived at the final delivery station
    Dublin, IE

Friday, 8 January
    7:55 PM
    Rochester, GB
    1:26 PM
    Rochester, Kent GB
    11:00 AM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Rochester, GB

Thursday, 7 January
    2:01 PM
    Rochester, Medway GB
    Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Are there any tracking updates for your 'lost package' on the site? Where did it stop moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jonnybangbang

Prunty wrote: »
    Are there any tracking updates for your 'lost package' on the site? Where did it stop moving?

Tuesday, 5 January

3:17 PM Completed customs clearance process
    Rochester, GB

3:07 PM Initiated customs clearance process
    Rochester, GB

1:24 AM Package departed an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Kent GB

Monday, 4 January

1:20 PM Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Medway GB

Package has shipped
    Ridgmont, Bedfordshire UK

Also, in the last 5 min, i contacted amazon customer service through their online chat. It seemed like an automated customer service agent but with the click of a few automated answers i was issued with a refund straight away.

Anyone with an annual Prime membership got a refund for part period? Ours auto renewed in November :(

• Advertisement

Anyone with an annual Prime membership got a refund for part period? Ours auto renewed in November :(

Are you using PRIME for the shows? If you are, then no refund will be due AFAIK...

Advertisement