Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Corvo

How are they going to stop Embild, Adebayo or Giannis?

If they do make it to the finals, how are they going to stop Davis? Or another big man from the West should the Lakers somehow falter?

The Harden trade is only worth it if it gives you a legitimate chance at winning a chip. Can we really say that about the Nets considering how shallow the bench is and that their only centre is Deandre Jordan?

That's before you even explore the other pitfalls as Golf said above re Kyrie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Extra cap space is little value if you have zero assets to trade in order to acquire expiring contracts.
    They'll largely be resigned to buyouts and have a host of teams to compete with there.

In terms of their beating, imo this trade isn't just poor long term, I question the short term value.

You add a disengaged unfit high usage scorer who's prowess is most evident in the regular season.
    The Nets have two of the leagues best scorers over the past 10 years, fire power is not what they're light on.
    If the goal is to be an unbelievable scoring team in the regular season, then mission -potentially- accomplished.

Evident things they have to contend with:

Poor defensive backcourt
    Harden effort/fitness
    KD injury history
    Kyrie ongoing issues
    Rookie head coach
    Zero trade assets
    Covid on a very top heavy roster

They're just the obvious ones.

I think they'll struggle to get to the conference finals.

The Heat, Celtics, Sixers & Bucks have the beating of them come playoff time.

You may end up being right although Harden effort/fitness will not be an issue at all . I think Harden will be the most motivated he has ever been. It his last chance to win a ring . It will be great fun though . The league needed it i think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

You may end up being right although Harden effort/fitness will not be an issue at all . I think Harden will be the most motivated he has ever been. It his last chance to win a ring . It will be great fun though . The league needed it i think .

He won't immediately turn it on because he probably can't. That's especially true as players age and Harden is 31. His conditioning has never been an issue but it's never been elite either.
    This won't be resolved overnight and may be the difference maker between having an easier route to the playoffs.

He'll get it together and it'll be great fun in a highlight sense. A must watch NBA Season Pass team but I'd argue they're in a weaker position now in terms of winning a title.

A large part of their trade deadline opportunities are gone.

I think the only reason to do this trade is

1. You think it'll motivate Kyrie to come back.

Wait for it.....

2. You think Kyrie is actually done for the season and you now need the scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,562 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I kinda thought KD's reason for leaving Golden State was to prove that he could do it without a superteam :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Exactly. I'm hearing loads of people mention Harden's attitude. His attitude problems have only been there this year because he's wanted out. He's got what we wanted now so that stuff becomes irrelevant to me.

The playoff failures also are a much more minor issue now he's got a player like Durant to lean on too. One of the best scorers in NBA history. Harden has had to do it himself for the most part in Houston and probably even overachieved some years when he had literally no help. That narrative is definitely a little overdone.

I just don't think you can have the Nets as a loser here. A few days ago you wouldn't have given them a prayer to beat the Lakers in a series. Now you can at least make the argument that they have the firepower to make a series very interesting. Plenty of time to figure things out to peak in the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I kinda thought KD's reason for leaving Golden State was to prove that he could do it without a superteam :p

It was also because Draymond was mean to him.... KD is a pretty sensitive dude, best of luck dealing with Kyrie and Harden ..

Morrison J wrote: »
    Exactly. I'm hearing loads of people mention Harden's attitude. His attitude problems have only been there this year because he's wanted out. He's got what we wanted now so that stuff becomes irrelevant to me.

The playoff failures also are a much more minor issue now he's got a player like Durant to lean on too. One of the best scorers in NBA history. Harden has had to do it himself for the most part in Houston and probably even overachieved some years when he had literally no help. That narrative is definitely a little overdone.

I just don't think you can have the Nets as a loser here. A few days ago you wouldn't have given them a prayer to beat the Lakers in a series. Now you can at least make the argument that they have the firepower to make a series very interesting. Plenty of time to figure things out to peak in the playoffs.

His attitude problems led to a level of disengagement which resulted in him gaining a substantial amount of weight. That lack of conditioning does not become irrelevant overnight. It's going to be very relevant for the next few months.

Playoff failures are a minor issue? I'm a big Harden fan but that's crazy. His inability to generate as many few throw attempts in the playoffs nullifies one of his primary weapons. Furthermore, his inability to defend in the playoffs isn't solved by playing with Durant. He's had players to anchor the defense in the past such as Dwight & Capela but he still can't be hidden.

Of course you can call the Nets losers here, they re-mortgaged the next few years on a player who doesn't solve their shortcomings and hasn't show thus far this season to be the player that he was in the past.

Re-mortgaging your future for the opportunity to potentially compete against the best teams doesn't seem prudent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Why I think Houston undersold:

Because Harden will not be in that shape for long. He's a legit Top 5 player, and the most efficient scorer in modern time - and I say this as someone who doesn't like how he (and Houston) plays. He'll easily be back at 25ppg+ even with KD and Irving.

Harden never misses games - look at how many games he's played over the last 10 seasons. Apart from acting the bollox of course like he was recently.

They got Oladipo in return, who is just back from major injury and free to walk in June if he wants. And 8 pics, at least 2 of which will be very late first rounders. The problem with pics is that evidence suggests that a pic will rarely translate into a Top 10/20 talent.

Houston could have had Ben Simmons (a legit All NBA and top tier 2 way player), instead they get Oladipo, and the always injured Exxum, and Kurucs and some extra balls in the ping pong machine.

There's a saying in the NBA that "whoever gets the best player, wins the trade" but the gap between Harden and everyone else in this trade is huge. Simmons is a lot better than anyone bar Harden in this trade.

Why I think Houston undersold:

Because Harden will not be in that shape for long. He's a legit Top 5 player, and the most efficient scorer in modern time - and I say this as someone who doesn't like how he (and Houston) plays. He'll easily be back at 25ppg+ even with KD and Irving.

Harden never misses games - look at how many games he's played over the last 10 seasons. Apart from acting the bollox of course like he was recently.

They got Oladipo in return, who is just back from major injury and free to walk in June if he wants. And 8 pics, at least 2 of which will be very late first rounders. The problem with pics is that evidence suggests that a pic will rarely translate into a Top 10/20 talent.

Houston could have had Ben Simmons (a legit All NBA and top tier 2 way player), instead they get Oladipo, and the always injured Exxum, and Kurucs and some extra balls in the ping pong machine.

There's a saying in the NBA that "whoever gets the best player, wins the trade" but the gap between Harden and everyone else in this trade is huge. Simmons is a lot better than anyone bar Harden in this trade.

I find that a flawed premise.

Houston didn't sell the 25+ PPG version of James Harden you're referring to though. They sold a far inferior version in a situation where they had limited options. There is a stark difference between MVP Harden in an open market and 2021 Harden in a limited market.

Sure you can make an argument that they made the wrong choice not getting a deal centered on Simmons assuming that was available but neither is an undersell.

I don't think you can't make the argument that they undersold on a Harden which existed before and may exist again the future because that wasn't the version of him that was up for grabs.

His attitude problems led to a level of disengagement which resulted in him gaining a substantial amount of weight. That lack of conditioning does not become irrelevant overnight. It's going to be very relevant for the next few months.

Playoff failures are a minor issue? I'm a big Harden fan but that's crazy. His inability to generate as many few throw attempts in the playoffs nullifies one of his primary weapons. Furthermore, his inability to defend in the playoffs isn't solved by playing with Durant. He's had players to anchor the defense in the past such as Dwight & Capela but he still can't be hidden.

Of course you can call the Nets losers here, they re-mortgaged the next few years on a player who doesn't solve their shortcomings and hasn't show thus far this season to be the player that he was in the past.

Re-mortgaging your future for the opportunity to potentially compete against the best teams doesn't seem prudent to me.

He'll be in condition come play off time. Regular season doesn't really mean much bar building some chemistry. Home field advantage means next to nothing with no fans so whatever seed they are doesn't mean as much as most years. He'll play his way into condition.

Playing alongside Durant definitely helps defensively. Durant is a great defender especially when you take some offensive responsibility off him. Harden's defense also isn't as bad as advertised. Ask any Rockets fan that and they'll tell you that. There are some horrendous highlights out there which have formed helped form that narrative. He's prone to switching off when not on the ball and getting exposed but in the playoffs and now with less responsibility to pretty much run an offense on his own like he did in Houston I expect his defense to improve. Capela is hardly an elite defender either and Dwight spent a lot of time on the sideline given how bad a fit he was in the offense. Ariza did a lot of donkey work defensively in those years but it was a limited team.

The narrative around Harden seems to have morphed into people saying he should have won a title with the Rockets teams he was on. I disagree with that he probably overachieved if anything given that team was never really that good. The one year they were genuinely in with a shot Chris Paul got injured. Still don't think taking that Warriors team with Durant to a game 7 should be viewed anything remotely close to a choke.

The Nets have got the best player in the deal by an absolute landslide and now have a chance of a title where as before the trade they had little to no chance realistically. I can't view them as a loser personally. Harden's stock is low at the moment but soon enough people will remember just how good he is.

• Advertisement

I find that a flawed premise.

Houston didn't sell the 25+ PPG version of James Harden you're referring to though. They sold a far inferior version in a situation where they had limited options. There is a stark difference between MVP Harden in an open market and 2021 Harden in a limited market.

Sure you can make an argument that they made the wrong choice not getting a deal centered on Simmons assuming that was available but neither is an undersell.

I don't think you can't make the argument that they undersold on a Harden which existed before and may exist again the future because that wasn't the version of him that was up for grabs.
    They'll get the good motivated version of Harden that existed before for the play offs though that's the point. He's only out of shape and showing this bad attitude to bring his trade value down and force a move. He's got those things now so it's a matter of time till we see the Harden of old again. I don't really have any doubts about that.

They'll get the good motivated version of Harden that existed before for the play offs though that's the point. He's only out of shape and showing this bad attitude to bring his trade value down and force a move. He's got those things now so it's a matter of time till we see the Harden of old again. I don't really have any doubts about that.

You assume you'll get that Harden, I tend to disagree but that's largely a separate discussion.

The discussion of being undersold though is different. You can't say Houston undersold the Harden that might exist again because they were never going to have that Harden back again to trade.

He obviously did it on purpose as you say but hard to make a case for underselling if that version of him isn't really on the table for them to bargain with.

I remember how good Harden was, as I said, huge fan but his ability in the playoffs which is what he has been traded for is a shadow of what he does in the regular season.

They got a fantastic deal for the Harden they have and imo a very good deal for the Harden you still hope to get.

You assume you'll get that Harden, I tend to disagree but that's largely a separate discussion.

The discussion of being undersold though is different. You can't say Houston undersold the Harden that might exist again because they were never going to have that Harden back again to trade.

He obviously did it on purpose as you say but hard to make a case for underselling if that version of him isn't really on the table for them to bargain with.

I remember how good Harden was, as I said, huge fan but his ability in the playoffs which is what he has been traded for is a shadow of what he does in the regular season.

They got a fantastic deal for the Harden they have and imo a very good deal for the Harden you still hope to get.

You could go around in circles with that sort of discussion I suppose. The Harden they got still posseses the ability to play at an MVP level in my opinion. I don't think the current version is in any way a fair representation of the player they are getting long term so from a Nets point of view I think they've got decent value.

It's just a classic case of player power winning out. Houston were never really going to get good value for him with the way Harden forced the move. In the circumstances they've done ok. I've a feeling they could've got a better package off of Philadelphia but preferred not to play ball with Morey though.

You could go around in circles with that sort of discussion I suppose. The Harden they got still posseses the ability to play at an MVP level in my opinion. I don't think the current version is in any way a fair representation of the player they are getting long term so from a Nets point of view I think they've got decent value.

It's just a classic case of player power winning out. Houston were never really going to get good value for him with the way Harden forced the move. In the circumstances they've done ok. I've a feeling they could've got a better package off of Philadelphia but preferred not to play ball with Morey though.

I'm sure we'll be made aware of what was on the table but I don't know if Morey getting one over them played a part.

Apparently one of the sticking points was Tyrese Maxey who Sixers said wasn't in play.

I'm sure we'll be made aware of what was on the table but I don't know if Morey getting one over them played a part.

Apparently one of the sticking points was Tyrese Maxey who Sixers said wasn't in play.
    Could be wrong but get the feeling they may have strung him a long a bit and only really would've done a deal if they completely rinsed him.

The latest report was the Sixers were sourcing more picks to include in the deal instead of Maxey. I thought at that point that Philadelphia was the destination and the Rockets would accept either the picks with Simmons or Simmons + Maxey. Then suddenly the Brooklyn deal got announced very quickly in a complicated trade with loads of moving parts that didn't have any leaks at all. Not convinced the will to trade with the Sixers was ever really there but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I lowkey think Cavs made a killing from their late involvement. Basically Jarret Allen for Dante Exum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wall, Oladipo and Cousins would have been a fine core.....in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I find this notion that Harden has suddenly become an 'inferior' version of himself hilarious. I would bet a significant amount of money that almost instantaneously you will see Harden turn this around. The whole weight gain thing is a bit of a misnomer anyway. Harden tried his best to get out of Houston 2 months ago, but failed. He started the season unhappy, but resigned to being stuck with the Rockets in the short term. He actually played very well through the first 4 games, averaging 37 points a game. including a game where he dropped 44 and 17 assists. The problem was Houston were terrible (I'm sure Harden was causing difficulties behind the scenes.) Harden after around game 4 or 5 became a complete cancer and essentially quit on the team to escalate the situation. He also in the span of about week gained a significant amount of weight (he was already on the hefty side).

The idea that because Harden piled on a few pounds he is all of a sudden not the same guy any more is just plain stupid. Even playing over weight early on this season he was highly effective before quitting. I should add that I am by no means a fan of Harden's, I find his style of play hard to watch, but he will undoubtedly be highly effective very soon. He's 31, not 35 ffs, and has literally no history of injuries.

All that said I still don't know how all this fits together with the Nets. Harden for all his over indulgent ball handling is an exceptional playmaker. Durant will be fine, he works very well off pin downs, and other Floppy situations. He will make it work. Kyrie... The Athletic are reporting he will be back with the Nets shortly. Theoretically he can make this work, his shooting makes me think it can. If you stagger minutes, when Harden is resting it's KD and Kryie, and when Kyrie's out it's Harden in you can free things up . The issue will of course be Kyrie, and whether he totally buys in to this. Harden will be the man with the ball (mostly). Defense is obviously a huge worry for them also.

In short it could be amazing, or it could be spectacularly bad I feel. If the Nets can get a decent buy out defensive player or two they might have a chance. I'll have to see 20 or 30 games, but I do give them a very good chance of winning the East

buyer95 wrote: »
    I find this notion that Harden has suddenly become an 'inferior' version of himself hilarious. I would bet a significant amount of money that almost instantaneously you will see Harden turn this around. The whole weight gain thing is a bit of a misnomer anyway. Harden tried his best to get out of Houston 2 months ago, but failed. He started the season unhappy, but resigned to being stuck with the Rockets in the short term. He actually played very well through the first 4 games, averaging 37 points a game. including a game where he dropped 44 and 17 assists. The problem was Houston were terrible (I'm sure Harden was causing difficulties behind the scenes.) Harden after around game 4 or 5 became a complete cancer and essentially quit on the team to escalate the situation. He also in the span of about week gained a significant amount of weight (he was already on the hefty side).

The idea that because Harden piled on a few pounds he is all of a sudden not the same guy any more is just plain stupid. Even playing over weight early on this season he was highly effective before quitting. I should add that I am by no means a fan of Harden's, I find his style of play hard to watch, but he will undoubtedly be highly effective very soon. He's 31, not 35 ffs, and has literally no history of injuries.

All that said I still don't know how all this fits together with the Nets. Harden for all his over indulgent ball handling is an exceptional playmaker. Durant will be fine, he works very well off pin downs, and other Floppy situations. He will make it work. Kyrie... The Athletic are reporting he will be back with the Nets shortly. Theoretically he can make this work, his shooting makes me think it can. If you stagger minutes, when Harden is resting it's KD and Kryie, and when Kyrie's out it's Harden in you can free things up . The issue will of course be Kyrie, and whether he totally buys in to this. Harden will be the man with the ball (mostly). Defense is obviously a huge worry for them also.

In short it could be amazing, or it could be spectacularly bad I feel. If the Nets can get a decent buy out defensive player or two they might have a chance. I'll have to see 20 or 30 games, but I do give them a very good chance of winning the East

If you’re going to indirectly reply to the opinions of people you should try leave the condescending attitude and use of words such as stupid at the door.

My points regarding weight and performance are valid because we have proof that is how he actually performed. My point was that The Rockets traded an inferior version of Harden because the previous version was not the one they were bargaining with.

As I said, MVP Harden in an open market is different than this Harden in a limited market. The package receives need to be weighed more against the latter than the former. That was the crux of my point.

Nobody doubts that the potential exists for him to bounce back but it’s not overnight and will take longer at 31 than 21 just like it would take longer at 35 than 31.
    However it’s not simply about weight gain, those players who lead a given lifestyle have a shorter career and the trajectory of that career is often more precipitous

He likely will return to an extremely high level but to me it’s not instantaneous as you suggest nor guaranteed. Your opinion isn’t stupid though it’s just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If you’re going to indirectly reply to the opinions of people you should try leave the condescending attitude and use of words such as stupid at the door.

My points regarding weight and performance are valid because we have proof that is how he actually performed. My point was that The Rockets traded an inferior version of Harden because the previous version was not the one they were bargaining with.

As I said, MVP Harden in an open market is different than this Harden in a limited market. The package receives need to be weighed more against the latter than the former. That was the crux of my point.

Nobody doubts that the potential exists for him to bounce back but it’s not overnight and will take longer at 31 than 21 just like it would take longer at 35 than 31.
    However it’s not simply about weight gain, those players who lead a given lifestyle have a shorter career and the trajectory of that career is often more precipitous

He likely will return to an extremely high level but to me it’s not instantaneous as you suggest nor guaranteed. Your opinion isn’t stupid though it’s just wrong

You’re almost talking like he’s a has been and he’ll never play well again. It’s a few weeks since he - even overweight - put up 44 and 17.

Bottom line for me is they got pennies back on the dollar for him and some picks, when they had an opportunity to have a young All NBA Level Player to build around. I personally don’t believe they’ll get a player at Simmons’ level from those picks as statistically the odds are against it, but sure, they could. No one will really know for years.

• Advertisement

You’re almost talking like he’s a has been and he’ll never play well again. It’s a few weeks since he - even overweight - put up 44 and 17.

Bottom line for me is they got pennies back on the dollar for him and some picks, when they had an opportunity to have a young All NBA Level Player to build around. I personally don’t believe they’ll get a player at Simmons’ level from those picks as statistically the odds are against it, but sure, they could. No one will really know for years.

I’m not talking like he’s a has been. I’m talking as though he’s not MVP Harden right now and won’t be overnight. The assets they received can’t be weighed against his MVP level ability IMO which is what Buyer and many others are failing to comprehend.
    I’m not suggesting they’re weighed against his shape and form in recent weeks but must be considered in light of his age/attitude

He had the Rockets over a barrel and you’re right they got pennies on the dollar if he returns to MVP form but not on current form when you only have 2-3 teams competing for him.

I think he will return to a very high level perhaps not his previous best but it’s not guaranteed and less likely given his lifestyle.

The comment that his return will be effectively instantaneous is ludicrous.

FWIW I agree I’d prefer Simmons too but I still don’t believe the Rockets lost, they just didn’t get as much as they could get. Also there’s a trend in the NBA now whereby draft picks are now being undervalued after being overvalued for so long. Russillo, Simmons & McMullan discussed that yesterday.

You mention statistically they’re odds against to get a player of Simmons standard? Can you share where you read that or how you concluded it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Anyone think the Nets might try to offload Kyrie now that he'll soon be the third best player on the team and has questionable behaviour and commitment? Try and get some defence in a trade?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Anyone think the Nets might try to offload Kyrie now that he'll soon be the third best player on the team and has questionable behaviour and commitment? Try and get some defence in a trade?

I think that’s an interesting idea if they were to have serious issues moving forward but what could you get for Kyrie now?

The Nets are 0-5 when they score <120 points. They have a rookie coach who has acknowledged that he wasn’t brought in as a tactician but as someone who knows Durant & Kyrie. He stated it’s managing ego.

The goal is to live and die by 120+ pts per game with 70-75% coming from Durant/Harden/Kyrie. Pick up whoever is available off waivers and that’s effectively the game plan

I’m not talking like he’s a has been. I’m talking as though he’s not MVP Harden right now and won’t be overnight. The assets they received can’t be weighed against his MVP level ability IMO which is what Buyer and many others are failing to comprehend.
    I’m not suggesting they’re weighed against his shape and form in recent weeks but must be considered in light of his age/attitude

He had the Rockets over a barrel and you’re right they got pennies on the dollar if he returns to MVP form but not on current form when you only have 2-3 teams competing for him.

I think he will return to a very high level perhaps not his previous best but it’s not guaranteed and less likely given his lifestyle.

The comment that his return will be effectively instantaneous is ludicrous.

FWIW I agree I’d prefer Simmons too but I still don’t believe the Rockets lost, they just didn’t get as much as they could get. Also there’s a trend in the NBA now whereby draft picks are now being undervalued after being overvalued for so long. Russillo, Simmons & McMullan discussed that yesterday.

You mention statistically they’re odds against to get a player of Simmons standard? Can you share where you read that or how you concluded it?

I think Harden returns to his best pretty quickly . I cant wait to watch the Nets now

I think Harden returns to his best pretty quickly . I cant wait to watch the Nets now

Perhaps he will, it's been a long time since a team wasn't built around him though.

I'd be interested to know what people view "returning to his best" actually looks like on this team?

20-25 pounds lighter I assume is a given but what sort of production constitutes his best now.

Perhaps he will, it's been a long time since a team wasn't built around him though.

I'd be interested to know what people view "returning to his best" actually looks like on this team?

20-25 pounds lighter I assume is a given but what sort of production constitutes his best now.

Its obvious his stats wont be as good . So are you saying because his stats will drop his level will drop ? He will still be the same James Harden . He just wont be shooting the ball or handling the ball as much . We all know that

Its obvious his stats wont be as good . So are you saying because his stats will drop his level will drop ? He will still be the same James Harden . He just wont be shooting the ball or handling the ball as much . We all know that

I know that hence why I'm asking the question?

For example, does 25PPG, 10 assists, 50% FG%, 38% from deep and some improved defense constitute success?

I tend to think that does but it's a big change in efficiency, curious how others might measure his value.

I know that hence why I'm asking the question?

For example, does 25PPG, 10 assists, 50% FG%, 38% from deep and some improved defense constitute success?

I tend to think that does but it's a big change in efficiency, curious how others might measure his value.

I think now i would just constitute a ring as success . KD, KI and JH could/would have better individual stats elsewhere . They want a ring though .

I think now i would just constitute a ring as success . KD, KI and JH could/would have better individual stats elsewhere . They want a ring though .
    I think Harden can still look like a good/bad trade irrespective of whether they do/don't win a title.

That can't be the only measure of his success, Chris Herring mentioned that their title chances went from 2% to 14% in 538's model which is largest single player jump he has seen.

Caveat being that he felt model underrepresented Nets pre trade chance and corrected too much after the trade.

He feels it likely sits somewhere in-between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

LeVert seems to be stuck at Houston.

Oladipo would rather go to Miami and the deal is apparently stalling. Neither team has issued any statement regarding Oladipo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement