Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NcdJd wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing another Christmas dinner at the weekend for myself and father. Not sure the reasoning behind, just got it into my head during the week! January is always a bit of a bleak month anyway but we are half way through it. Role on spring.

Think its just that time of the year and is encapsulated by the idea of "Blue Monday"
    Blue Monday is the name given to a day in January (typically the third Monday of the month) claimed to be the most depressing day of the year. .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)

I think this year it falls on the 18th :/

I think the idea of keeping the lights on is a good one. Doesn’t have to Christmas lights. Maybe a bit like the Indian Diwali or Festival of Lights which symbolizes a triumph of light over darkness,

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1188263/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

gozunda wrote: »
    Think its just that time of the year and is encapsulated by the idea of "Blue Monday"

I think the idea of keeping the lights on is a good one. Doesn’t have to Christmas lights. Maybe something like the Indian Diwali or Festival of Lights which symbolizes the triumph of light over darkness,

Just looking a the Chinese New year there. The year of the Ox. Wonder should I post a new thread in the vegan forum in celebration of the Cow and all the nutritional benefits it has given human kind over the millennia. In praise of the mighty cow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just looking a the Chinese New year there. The year of the Ox. Wonder should I post a new thread in the vegan forum in celebration of the Cow and all the nutritional benefits it has given human kind over the millennia. In praise of the mighty cow :D

Should be a good year so :pac:

Sure the history of the cow is Ireland
    The key to the understanding of Ireland - Irish history, Irish archaeology, Irish culture, the great sagas - everything is based on cattle. Cows are everything and everywhere,"
    ~ Dr Patrick Wallace, director of the National Museum of Ireland

An interesting article from the Journal of all places
    It was the cow and not money that was the basis on which all wealth was measured. It was also the cow that gave us our founding myth: the Táin bó Cuailnge, or The Cattle Raid of Cooley.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/the-cow-book-extract-3908033-Mar2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I see that the seed savers are up the walls with work. It’s great to see. Hopefully the ordered seeds will be planted.

I’m growing very little this year as my garden was flooded- a neighbour new to the town land keeps blocking gulleys when turning tractors. So I’m going to hang tough until I’ve money together for a polytunnel. By then my lads will be old enough to enjoy it too.

They will have to be happy with the few raised beds near home.

I see that the seed savers are up the walls with work. It’s great to see. Hopefully the ordered seeds will be planted.

I’m growing very little this year as my garden was flooded- a neighbour new to the town land keeps blocking gulleys when turning tractors. So I’m going to hang tough until I’ve money together for a polytunnel. By then my lads will be old enough to enjoy it too.

Polytunnel is a great thing to have. Broadens the scope of what you can grow and sow. Get the biggest one you can is my advice, you'll find you'll fill it up with all sorts of stuff.

• Advertisement

Should be a good year so :pac:

Quote:
    The key to the understanding of Ireland - Irish history, Irish archaeology, Irish culture, the great sagas - everything is based on cattle. Cows are everything and everywhere,"
    ~ Dr Patrick Wallace, director of the National Museum of Ireland

That's a lovely quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I got an advent calender for my mother that had a pack of seeds In it for each day. Now some of them were strange but she will get use out of most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think the idea of keeping the lights on is a good one. Doesn’t have to Christmas lights. Maybe a bit like the Indian Diwali or Festival of Lights which symbolizes a triumph of light over darkness,

Lack of natural sunlight can also result in deficiencies in the immune system especially for those of us.. ahem. of advanced years

Had my annual nct before Christmas and for first time ever I had a low vitamin D reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm planning on doing another Christmas dinner at the weekend for myself and father. Not sure the reasoning behind, just got it into my head during the week! January is always a bit of a bleak month anyway but we are half way through it. Role on spring.

Tomorrow is St Ita's Day, a good enough excuse around here.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I got an advent calender for my mother that had a pack of seeds In it for each day. Now some of them were strange but she will get use out of most of them.

That’s a great idea- where did you come across that? I’ve an uncle and a retired colleague who would love that.

I sent them out seeds for the lockdown as I wouldn’t be visiting.

Last year, my 6yo and I sent out pumpkin and sunflower seeds to her classmates. They were delighted with them and sent photos of the progress. She loved the contact.

• Advertisement

That’s a great idea- where did you come across that? I’ve an uncle and a retired colleague who would love that.

I sent them out seeds for the lockdown as I wouldn’t be visiting.

Last year, my 6yo and I sent out pumpkin and sunflower seeds to her classmates. They were delighted with them and sent photos of the progress. She loved the contact.

I got it on amazon. Was around €30. On the 24th it was Christmas tree seeds. It came with a little clothes line thing and pegs and she hung the envelopes on it and then the pack of seeds after she opened it each day. Something different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Them Vegans are lacking some good quality protein and it's making them narky!
    I'd wager that anyone that has a good fillet steak for dinner, washed down with a pint of milk would be very contented!

Had a nice organic sirloin this evening. I'm equally, contented....even without the milk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

_Brian wrote: »
    If we don’t get out enough during the day we don’ the head torches amd head to the local woods in the dark amd do a 6k loop walk. Humans weren’t made for indoors all the time.

I'm starting to get out in the evening. I finish work at 4 so it's getting bright enough for an hours walk.

Realised tonight I need to leave the kids at home. They're slowing me down. 7 year old can't walk fast or far

We ordered a bike in halfords at the end of December for daughters birthday tomorrow. Was getting emails and texts from them to collect it this evening. Went in bike hasn't even arrived in Ireland. I lost my ****. 4 workers standing having a laugh and not one of them would text, call or email to say not to come in. We are in a pandemic ffs. No idea when it will be in. I'm having my first glass of wine of 2021

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Had a nice organic sirloin this evening. I'm equally, contented....even without the milk :)

A fried egg goes shocking well with a steak.
    So does fried tomatoes, particularly home grown ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

A fried egg goes shocking well with a steak.
    So does fried tomatoes, particularly home grown ones!

Mushrooms and onions would be my accompaniment of choice.

Grueller wrote: »
    Mushrooms and onions would be my accompaniment of choice.

And a pint

And a pint

You must eat small steaks, I'd nearly get 2 in while eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm starting to get out in the evening. I finish work at 4 so it's getting bright enough for an hours walk.

Realised tonight I need to leave the kids at home. They're slowing me down. 7 year old can't walk fast or far

Doing it with the kids is important too. Maybe some times on your own.

It's thirsty work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My mother made an organic mince lasagne this week for me - one of the nicest I've ever had(and that includes trips to Italy proper!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As an organic beef farmer, I'm delighted people are enjoying the produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We ordered a bike in halfords at the end of December for daughters birthday tomorrow. Was getting emails and texts from them to collect it this evening. Went in bike hasn't even arrived in Ireland. I lost my ****. 4 workers standing having a laugh and not one of them would text, call or email to say not to come in. We are in a pandemic ffs. No idea when it will be in. I'm having my first glass of wine of 2021

similar experience with currys/pc world , bought a belated xmas present for myself , got notification from dpd it was being delivered 5th jan, then another saying it was delayed , got 2 texts from currys saying now due 18th,

they had 5 years to prepare for brexit and they still f%$ked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Jeez, Curry's are a nightmare ( going by my one and only visit).
    Young lassie wanted a set of Buds for her birthday.
    ( wireless ear buds that let's them listen to music on the phone etc) so we were going through Navan and saw the Curry's store.
    In we went, she had saved up some money and we had got three of those gift cards from insurance companies as a Covid refund on policies and had give them to her.
    First of all a bouncer intercepted us inside the door.
    What do you want to buy? he demanded.
    Told him, and he instructed us to "stay there and I'll bring them".
    "Can we look at a few types?" I asked.
    "No, it's not allowed, they are in the back."
    So a few minutes later he came back they were what sho wanted, so we were directed to a till.
    Then the crack really started.
    Girl give in the vouchers and said she'd pay the rest in cash.
    "Oh, I'm afraid we cannot accept more than 2 vouchers for any goods"
    I asked why, " company policy" she replied.
    If there was something else we liked to buy, she could put the 3rd voucher towards it, however ...
    I stuck to my guns,but we were getting nowhere, went back and forth over company policy a few times.
    Told the sales girl we would leave them, and be writing to Head Office.
    Then she came up with a master plan.
    She couldn't accept three separate vouchers as payment for any item, but she could accept them to buy a Currys gift voucher..
    So we ended up buying a Currys Gift Voucher with our three One4all vouchers, giving lots of details, email addresses etc, then when the Currys voucher was passed over the counter we passed it straight back along with about €30 to buy the Buds.
    "Would we like insurance?" she asked..
    "Would there be any chance of ever getting a claim settled?" I asked..
    She admitted that she didn't know...

Nearly? Do you have to leave the pint at the bar and walk up for a sip each time?

In the good old days of no lock downs, I’d have a feed of drink with a steak. Then in level, we’d order a well done steak just to get more pints in. Ball burst now.

My uncle could grow anything- he has grapes growing in Tipperary and makes red and white wine from them.... supposed to be pure muck but I’m always amazed he can grow them.

I got Mylar bags from wish for storing harvested seeds. You can iron seal them and they should last a fair few years. I sent on a few to them to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Birdnuts wrote: »
    My mother made an organic mince lasagne this week for me - one of the nicest I've ever had(and that includes trips to Italy proper!!)

Maybe it’s because I was only in Rome but the food I had in Italy was very very average. Very hard to beat Irish food imho. Rome is a horrendous city in almost every way I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

2018na wrote: »
    Maybe it’s because I was only in Rome but the food I had in Italy was very very average. Very hard to beat Irish food imho. Rome is a horrendous city in almost every way I would say

Ya, Italian food is not nice for us, they don't even serve it hot. Except for their pizza - that's savage.

Nearly? Do you have to leave the pint at the bar and walk up for a sip each time?

In the good old days of no lock downs, I’d have a feed of drink with a steak. Then in level, we’d order a well done steak just to get more pints in. Ball burst now.

Haha. No but I'm not a big drinker these days. In my twenties however.......

• Advertisement

Haha. No but I'm not a big drinker these days. In my twenties however.......

It would be nice to get out for a couple of pints some time soon

Advertisement