Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I did some repairs to field ditches back in the day with my father. Luckily there was a good supply of stones but they wouldn't have a whole pile of "character" as my father would say. His advice was if you picked up a stone you shouldn't put it down. Just keep turning it till it fitted some way fair.

Thing is its the fella or gal with the very good eye who won't pick up a stone unless they already see its place.

Seems according to Agriland that Teagasc are taking over a 500 acre farm in Cork. Hope this is not being done to rescue someone. Some farmers are ahead of them any way in the research stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    Very sad stories on the Indo today of children from orphanages farmed out to farmers, it's unbelieveable that the neighbours and teachers of these children allowed the savagery to go on.
    Island of saints and scholars m'arse

It leaves a stain on the farming community also, they were only farmed out to those willing to take them for cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anyone here use calf jackets on suckler calves outside and how do ye find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭endainoz

Anyone here use calf jackets on suckler calves outside and how do ye find them?

Bought one a couple of years ago great job on young calves. The calf would want to be licked before using them though, but great to keep them warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

endainoz wrote: »
    Are some lads here posting in the vegan forum again? Why do ye do it to yourselves?!

Of course, why not?
    If a subject catches your eye why not reply?
    Mind you, probably 60% of all posts in the Vegetarian & Vegan thread is made by one person, living in Australia...
    It's so quiet they end up replying to their own posts.

Someone asked about Spring Water and I mentioned the fact that they'd be best asking someone with their own well for water, as the public supply is often heavily treated with chemicals.
    That got removed for some unknown reason too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Of course, why not?
    If a subject catches your eye why not reply?
    Mind you, probably 60% of all posts in the Vegetarian & Vegan thread is made by one person, living in Australia...
    It's so quiet they end up replying to their own posts.

Someone asked about Spring Water and I mentioned the fact that they'd be best asking someone with their own well for water, as the public supply is often heavily treated with chemicals.
    That got removed for some unknown reason too...

There's a small handful of posters ( 4 or 5 ) that make any outsider posting feel unwelcome, via things like, why are you posting here etc.. never seen that in any other public forum but there ya go. I lost the plot yesterday and got carded.

Some very good posters on it too but they don't post much or couldn't be bothered with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Has skynet taken over?

Irish television and all radio was off there in the southeast.
    Some radio stations have come back.

Seemingly some serious problem with transmitters on mount leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

NcdJd wrote: »
    There's a small handful of posters ( 4 or 5 ) that make any outsider posting feel unwelcome, via things like, why are you posting here etc.. never seen that in any other public forum but there ya go. I lost the plot yesterday and got carded.

Some very good posters on it too but they don't post much or couldn't be bothered with it.

Yep, it's a lot like the Christianity forum, two or three dominant posters, and any contrary view gets you booted out.

Not so surprising really, as both are "belief system" based and look upon dissent as highly objectionable.

Water John wrote: »
    Seems according to Agriland that Teagasc are taking over a 500 acre farm in Cork. Hope this is not being done to rescue someone. Some farmers are ahead of them any way in the research stakes.

Interesting development. Since we already have Johnstown castle and Moorepark as research facilities and after teagasc's input in Greenfield.

You'd wonder why such a development would occur?

Still, it'll be politicians and public servants who'll give the say so on any developments. They are fierce cagey with money.
    Ah no I'm kidding.. they spend it like it's water. :p

Cannot obviously see where they might be going with such a project, that's why I'm sceptical. Any of those who have tried running these 'commercial' units have either failed or been, shall we say, been economical with the full facts.

• Advertisement

Cannot obviously see where they might be going with such a project, that's why I'm sceptical. Any of those who have tried running these 'commercial' units have either failed or been, shall we say, been economical with the full facts.

It must be as you say a 'troubled' farm.

Jungle drums had such farms in the southeast with the milk processer taking over the farm and employing the owner as an employee. It can get to a stage when the farm and debts are too big to let fail.

Sure who knows? It mightnt be a dairy farm at all. It could be someone with no successor just offered it at a good rate to teagasc to lease to see what they'd do with it.

We'll know on the open day!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Interesting development. Since we already have Johnstown castle and Moorepark as research facilities and after teagasc's input in Greenfield.

You'd wonder why such a development would occur?

Still, it'll be politicians and public servants who'll give the say so on any developments. They are fierce cagey with money.
    Ah no I'm kidding.. they spend it like it's water. :p

That's the thing. They've sold some of the original farm holdings over the years as part of down sizing and now they're back buying more.

gozunda wrote: »
    That's the thing. They've sold some of the original farm holdings over the years as part of down sizing and now they're back buying more.

I'd be 99% this won't be bought.

Sure in the last recession all the Coillte land was nearly being sold off.

It'll be leased as a commercial business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

endainoz wrote: »
    Bought one a couple of years ago great job on young calves. The calf would want to be licked before using them though, but great to keep them warm.

I ordered 8 of them the other day, got 16 of them in the post today :D There was 2 in every pack

I ordered 8 of them the other day, got 16 of them in the post today :D There was 2 in every pack

It's a great feeling when you get a bargain 😌

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    1950s and 1960s
    I was just relating it to when I was growing up at the same time, all children had shoes and no one had lice....... for very long any way when I was at school.
    One was rescued from his foster parents by Joyces of Ballymoe after a bad beating, They found him on the road covered in blood
    He ended up well set up

Lots of bad stories from then alright
    Sadly not all stories ended as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Eco eye tonight talking about another water body being damaged with N & P.

Intensive agriculture being called as the root cause.

Lough Carra, beautiful looking lake and I’d never heard of it before. No idea if it’s Ag or septic tanks or waste treatment but the destruction of the lake is a terrible shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Lots of bad stories from then alright
    Sadly not all stories ended as well

What gets me that the whole focus is on the RCC while the families and neighbours who were complicit in this get a free pass generally.

There was always the threat of being sent to artane as a boy or to one of the old maids homes. People knew what was going on and said nothing. No different to what happened in Germany.

Saw that too Brian. I think a lot more fertiliser was spread in the 80/90s but buffer zoning the streams that feed it looks like a core move. What I saw in the video largely were sheep. Changing farm practice following up to date research, like the Danu group would also lower fertiliser use, without production loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Eco eye tonight talking about another water body being damaged with N & P.

Intensive agriculture being called as the root cause.

Lough Carra, beautiful looking lake and I’d never heard of it before. No idea if it’s Ag or septic tanks or waste treatment but the destruction of the lake is a terrible shame.

Know the place well as my mothers people farmed a few miles out the road. Great book written by Lynda Huxley(well known ecologist in Mayo for her great work) on the lake in terms of why it is special and the pressures brought to bare on it from the 70's onwards. She rightly points out the states role in the tragic deteriation iof the lake by their agressive promotion of intensive dairy and pig production in the catchment with inevitable consequences:(

• Advertisement

What gets me that the whole focus is on the RCC while the families and neighbours who were complicit in this get a free pass generally.

There was always the threat of being sent to artane as a boy or to one of the old maids homes. People knew what was going on and said nothing. No different to what happened in Germany.

A friend of my fathers ended up in one of them industrial schools. Don't know the full story but to this day he does not know who his parents were or where he came from. It affects him to this day according to my father.

Listening to the stories, fear was a big factor
    some of the most corrupt had power and when confronted were backed by their profession
    Whether Garda church or whoever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

NcdJd wrote: »
    A friend of my fathers ended up in one of them industrial schools. Don't know the full story but to this day he does not know who his parents were or where he came from. It affects him to this day according to my father.

A, relations husband was in artane. I don't think he's ever really talked about it but from what I know his experience was horrific. He's in his 70s now.

Saw that too Brian. I think a lot more fertiliser was spread in the 80/90s but buffer zoning the streams that feed it looks like a core move. What I saw in the video largely were sheep. Changing farm practice following up to date research, like the Danu group would also lower fertiliser use, without production loss.
    The whole of the midlands, north and west has the 'problem' of phosphorus leaching above ground into waterways.

Peat ground by nature is high in phosphorus. It's partly why the Dutch had their phosphorus problem. In the southeast and on my own farm we'd be low in phosphorus. Purely by soil design.

Farming on peat land and wet ground is going to be severly limited and maybe stopped by the powers that be in this country.
    As long as rain falls and the ground doesn't soak you'll have phosphorus entering waterways. And if that comes from agricultural ground which 90% of ground is it'll be blamed on agriculture.
    Rewilding here we come.

The whole of the midlands, north and west has the 'problem' of phosphorus leaching above ground into waterways.

Peat ground by nature is high in phosphorus. It's partly why the Dutch had their phosphorus problem. In the southeast and on my own farm we'd be low in phosphorus. Purely by soil design.

Farming on peat land and wet ground is going to be severly limited and maybe stopped by the powers that be in this country.
    As long as rain falls and the ground doesn't soak you'll have phosphorus entering waterways. And if that comes from agricultural ground which 90% of ground is it'll be blamed on agriculture.
    Rewilding here we come.

Would the land slides due to forestry on bogs & peat soils be a large factor

They'll need Reggie for that job.

Would the land slides due to forestry on bogs & peat soils be a large factor

All that. Any naked peat or soil without cover allows the acid produced in that soil in the waterways.
    You'd see the waterways black.

The Barrow river has its catchment into the Midland bogs. It's a dark river.
    The Slaney river moreso agricultural land and the Wicklow mountains. It's a clearer river.
    It's a humic acid or phosphorus acid. Very mobile type.

Then you can see if you add on phosphorus on top if not taken up by a plant it's straight down the river.

Farmers down here have gotten great results from spreading peat and dung over straw and dung. Matched the soil perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honours maths in a few minutes and broadband gone to pot.

I’d say there was less stress around the Cuban missile crisis 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Hotspot your phone.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,275 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Honours maths in a few minutes and broadband gone to pot.

I’d say there was less stress around the Cuban missile crisis 😂

We went around and disconnected anything that wasnt being used off the wifi. Tablets, laptops,PC it made a difference. Stressful alright

Advertisement