Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

gjim wrote: »
    Although I prefer your suggestion over the idea of tunnelling as far as Milltown/Alex, I still can help but think that joining the Green line north of the canal would provide so many advantages that the option should be explored.

There is just about enough room to stay within gradient limits for metros (about 5% by rough calculation) if the line emerged from just under Adelaide road to get up to the Charlemont bridge.

There would be massive disruption to Adelaide Road and Earlsford terrace but at least you're not dealing with well-connected residential NIMBYs so much here - although you might have to take out one or two houses around Peter's place and the Georgian next to the listed presbyterian church.

But the advantages seem very considerable to me - you'd save the cost and disruption of mining out a metro station or even two if the link-up was south of Cowper. There would be little disruption to the running of the Green line during construction. And the severed end of the Green line would be in a far better place to be usefully extended - e.g. it could be redirected down Richmond St - Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, etc.
    534753.jpg

I'm pretty sure that option was explored and found to be impractical. It would also involve severing Adelaide Road, demolition of at least one Georgian building, destruction of historic streetscape, even if the church remained all vistas of it would be ruined, centuries old trees would be cut down, basically it is guaranteed to poke every bear of an objector in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭gjim

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that option was explored and found to be impractical. It would also involve severing Adelaide Road, demolition of at least one Georgian building, destruction of historic streetscape, even if the church remained all vistas of it would be ruined, centuries old trees would be cut down, basically it is guaranteed to poke every bear of an objector in the city.
    I didn't draw that very well - the idea is that it wouldn't involve severing Adelaide Road - it would emerge just south of of it. There would be potentially no affect on the streetscape if the Georgian's facade were kept like they often do in other cities (it would become a "fake building" - https://www.messynessychic.com/2013/01/29/the-fake-townhouses-hiding-mystery-underground-portals/ or like the ones in Paris and London.) - so there would be little or no affect on historic streetscapes or vistas.

But I'd love to hear of what was found when exploring this option? Once the sewer thing became an issue (ignoring the Dunville Av. debacle), all I heard of was how and where to bring up the tunnel south of Ranelagh. The only issue I can think of is the gradient at 5% or so would be relatively steep although not unheard of in metro systems globally.

We're talking about potential savings of 1/2 billion euro by connecting here when you take into account there would be no need to mine out a station at Charlemont or a further station if they decide to link up between Cowper and Milltown which looks more likely. And you save 1.5km to 2.5km of tunnelling.

And because you're not tunnelling under or beside the existing line, disruption to Green line operations during construction would be minimised. And it gives the potential of being able to naturally extend the Green line either SW (towards Terenure) or SE (towards Ballsbridge) from the end of Hardcourt St instead of having a terminus surrounded by suburban back gardens with no scope to extend it - given the nature of the surrounding roads.

Let's face it, they're in danger of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here - what should be the cheapest possible metro/km (by upgrading the Green line south of Charlemont) is going to be a messy, disruptive, expensive and prolonged process if it involves tunnelling, mining stations and CPOing houses and gardens in well-healed suburbia.

I didn't draw that very well - the idea is that it wouldn't involve severing Adelaide Road - it would emerge just south of of it. There would be potentially no affect on the streetscape if the Georgian's facade were kept like they often do in other cities (it would become a "fake building" - https://www.messynessychic.com/2013/01/29/the-fake-townhouses-hiding-mystery-underground-portals/ or like the ones in Paris and London.) - so there would be little or no affect on historic streetscapes or vistas.

But I'd love to hear of what was found when exploring this option? Once the sewer thing became an issue (ignoring the Dunville Av. debacle), all I heard of was how and where to bring up the tunnel south of Ranelagh. The only issue I can think of is the gradient at 5% or so would be relatively steep although not unheard of in metro systems globally.

The tunnel would have to be deep enough to avoid undermining buildings on Adelaide Road, particularly the church, then emerge from the ground and climb to meet the level of the existing ramp and bridge over the canal. There is <100m from the back of the church to the ramp to the bridge, there is no way it would get from several metres below ground to several metres above it in such a short space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

We're talking about potential savings of 1/2 billion euro by connecting here when you take into account there would be no need to mine out a station at Charlemont or a further station if they decide to link up between Cowper and Milltown which looks more likely. And you save 1.5km to 2.5km of tunnelling.

And because you're not tunnelling under or beside the existing line, disruption to Green line operations during construction would be minimised. And it gives the potential of being able to naturally extend the Green line either SW (towards Terenure) or SE (towards Ballsbridge) from the end of Hardcourt St instead of having a terminus surrounded by suburban back gardens with no scope to extend it - given the nature of the surrounding roads.

Let's face it, they're in danger of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here - what should be the cheapest possible metro/km (by upgrading the Green line south of Charlemont) is going to be a messy, disruptive, expensive and prolonged process if it involves tunnelling, mining stations and CPOing houses and gardens in well-healed suburbia.

That almost reads like "well it's ok to demolish a small council estate (Peter Place), rather than CPO further south" (effectively all the houses in that estate would have to go if your suggestion were to be implemented).

You would walking on dynamite politically with that suggestion I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

The only issue I can think of is the gradient at 5% or so would be relatively steep although not unheard of in metro systems globally.
    I was on a luas during one of the earlier snows (maybe 2008) when it failed to make it up that existing slope beside the Hilton. I can't imagine it would get any better if it had to make it up any thing any steeper.

• Advertisement

My drawing skills aren't the best - let me try again:
    534782.jpg

You wouldn't be going directly under any buildings so I don't see the undermining issue - it would be close to existing buildings we seem to able to build new buildings with underground car parking levels next to existing historic stock without issue.

It would be cut 'n cover down the middle of Earlsfort Terrace and across Adelaide Road.

But I agree the issue is the gradient. I'm not sure it's impossible though but it may be.

As you say, you have less than 100m to get from under the ground at the footpath on Adelaide road to above ground to join the existing tracks. The curve gives you a few more meters so it's close enough to 100m.

The tunnel height at the portal would need to be 4m - I'm guessing here. Plus say one meter containing the steelworks to support the footpath (further back under the road you'd have more as the level drops). So you need to rise 5m in the 100m which is 5%. Even if it were 6%, metro systems I believe can deal with these sorts of gradients.

Is it perfect? No but the other options (linking south of Ranelagh) are worse in every respect to the extent that I don't think we'll see the southern section of the Green Luas line upgraded to metro in our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The gradient there would be difficult enough on its own, as would the heavy curve. Combine them both and I'd say that's well outside of design limits.

The "best option" here is determined by the will of the government and how much money they're willing to spend.

Regardless, let's continue this discussion on the appropriate thread for it.

My drawing skills aren't the best - let me try again:
    534782.jpg

You wouldn't be going directly under any buildings so I don't see the undermining issue - it would be close to existing buildings we seem to able to build new buildings with underground car parking levels next to existing historic stock without issue.

It would be cut 'n cover down the middle of Earlsfort Terrace and across Adelaide Road.

But I agree the issue is the gradient. I'm not sure it's impossible though but it may be.

As you say, you have less than 100m to get from under the ground at the footpath on Adelaide road to above ground to join the existing tracks. The curve gives you a few more meters so it's close enough to 100m.

The tunnel height at the portal would need to be 4m - I'm guessing here. Plus say one meter containing the steelworks to support the footpath (further back under the road you'd have more as the level drops). So you need to rise 5m in the 100m which is 5%. Even if it were 6%, metro systems I believe can deal with these sorts of gradients.

Is it perfect? No but the other options (linking south of Ranelagh) are worse in every respect to the extent that I don't think we'll see the southern section of the Green Luas line upgraded to metro in our lifetimes.

What you have drawing is clearly going directly under buildings on Adelaide Road. Those buildings have a half basement level and then foundations below which you need to pass under before the top of the tunnel. The Metrolink Preferred Route document shows an indicative tunnel diameter of 9.2m. The track level would be at least 10m below ground there. No chance you would be able to get up to the canal bridge level in the space available. Thats with little or no space under building foundations, there is a reason why top of the tunnel in the city centre is to be 17+m below the surface.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    That almost reads like "well it's ok to demolish a small council estate (Peter Place), rather than CPO further south" (effectively all the houses in that estate would have to go if your suggestion were to be implemented).

You would walking on dynamite politically with that suggestion I would suggest.
    There's nothing great about having to CPO people's homes (or land in the case of farmers) but it's a cost that society has accepted has to be paid for vital infrastructure development. And it's not exactly consistent to criticise this on the basis that people would have to be displaced - there's an entire apartment block full of people displaced near Tara St. for ML and it was deemed an unfortunate but necessary cost. The number of people in this case would be far fewer than the apartment dwellers.

There's no snobbery involved in my suggestion - nothing could be further from the truth actually - I've zero sympathy for the denizens of D6 after their shameful NIMBYism wrt to Dunville Avenue not that it actually mattered in the end given the canal sewer - it's that the alternatives are simply much worse, more expensive and deliver far less utility at a much higher cost.

So by all means attack the suggestion but it'd be fairer if it were criticised on the basis of a comparison with linking up somewhere between Ranelagh and Milltown. Otherwise it seems just like an argument against completing the metro link to Sandyford.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The gradient there would be difficult enough on its own, as would the heavy curve. Combine them both and I'd say that's well outside of design limits.

The "best option" here is determined by the will of the government and how much money they're willing to spend.

Regardless, let's continue this discussion on the appropriate thread for it.
    Fair enough - further responses will be on that thread.

• Advertisement

Demolition of a Georgian house? Shur you can't be doing that.

I can think of one group who'd be very vocally against that.

Seriously that group instead of preserving Georgian Dublin have allowed it be carved up like a chop shop. A friend of mine had a bedsit in one and there was a recess in the wall. I asked him what it was and he explained it was the old Georgian fireplace that had been split in half with plasterboard to make what was a sitting room, two separate bedsits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: This thread is about the published Swords to Charlemont route. Please post ideas about deviations to that route in the other thread.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Agree completely - there's absolutely no point progressing past SSG without an actual plan. I presume the TBM can just be left underground a bit south of the station box.

No point in leaving the TBM in the ground to continue on at some stage, once the tunnel is in use the bore needs to be done from the suburb to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jumpinsheep

gjim wrote:
    There's nothing great about having to CPO people's homes (or land in the case of farmers) but it's a cost that society has accepted has to be paid for vital infrastructure development. And it's not exactly consistent to criticise this on the basis that people would have to be displaced - there's an entire apartment block full of people displaced near Tara St. for ML and it was deemed an unfortunate but necessary cost. The number of people in this case would be far fewer than the apartment dwellers.

That block near Tara st. has 70 apartments; there is also the DCC Markievicz swimming pool/gym and next to it, also about 10 DCC houses with ederly ppl living there. All the above are basically under CPO threat.

Let's see if NTA/TII is going to submit to ABP by June 2021 or if there will be further delay, given covid19, etc.; won't be surprised if so.

Curious as well to see what comments will be made by politicians (if any, as these are just apts in such a central area that is being completely revamped, and not the "poor" home gardens of the affluent Ranelagh, which seems - from a previous comment by CatInABox- that they would mostly have them back in the end), when the news of 70 apt being CPO'ed (for good then?) will be out again in the news - given the lack of apartments in general and also in the city centre.
    Also 'cause it seems that a CPO of an entire block of 70 apts, it's a first in Ireland (please correct me if it's not the case, reference are welcome).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Imagine the housing scheme that could be built there when the metro is complete with a bit of vision and the abandonment of anti high rise sentiment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cgcsb wrote: »
    Imagine the housing scheme that could be built there when the metro is complete with a bit of vision and the abandonment of anti high rise sentiment.

Wasn't there plans to replace the 70 apartments with new buildings with over 3 times as many apartments?

bk wrote:
    Wasn't there plans to replace the 70 apartments with new buildings with over 3 times as many apartments?

Never heard of this before but plausible if it's not going to be just another office or hotel. Any available reference about it?

Sure is that from when the ML project was made public, in one of the first few documents published, is clearly specified the possibility to build again on top of that underground station; where the College Gate apt block and swimming pool are now.

The latest artist's drawing published for ML Tara st. station, shows a very little park and few trees (where College Gate apt block and swimming pool are now).

While a bit of green would be nice in an area otherwise surrounded by high rise bulding once completed (the new 22 or 23 storey high office/hotel of Johnny Ronan, next to Tara St. Dart station {construction not yet started but has been approved by ABP} + the new building where the Apollo house once was, likely 20 floors high {as few apts built to rent added on top, been approved by ABP}), I find it impossible to think that such a prime city centre location, would be left without any new building (likely going to be high rise, won't make sense otherwise).

I think builders are going to fight over this very valuable piece of land (and its air space), if and when it'll become available to be built upon.
    It's a pity that no information at all are available anywhere, about of what the block and swimming pool could potentially be replaced with.

Never heard of this before but plausible if it's not going to be just another office or hotel. Any available reference about it?

Sure is that from when the ML project was made public, in one of the first few documents published, is clearly specified the possibility to build again on top of that underground station; where the College Gate apt block and swimming pool are now.

The latest artist's drawing published for ML Tara st. station, shows a very little park and few trees (where College Gate apt block and swimming pool are now).

While a bit of green would be nice in an area otherwise surrounded by high rise bulding once completed (the new 22 or 23 storey high office/hotel of Johnny Ronan, next to Tara St. Dart station {construction not yet started but has been approved by ABP} + the new building where the Apollo house once was, likely 20 floors high {as few apts built to rent added on top, been approved by ABP}), I find it impossible to think that such a prime city centre location, would be left without any new building (likely going to be high rise, won't make sense otherwise).

I think builders are going to fight over this very valuable piece of land (and its air space), if and when it'll become available to be built upon.
    It's a pity that no information at all are available anywhere, about of what the block and swimming pool could potentially be replaced with.

The Artist Impression faintly shows the outline of a building next to the Irish Times. When(if) the buildings are CPOed, the land will be in public ownership so builders unlikely to get the opportunity to fight over it. A replacement leisure centre is very likely I'd say with apartments above.

https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/StationsArtistImpressions/MetroLink_Station_ArtistImpressions_Tara_A4_0419.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

bk wrote: »

Nothing beyond a plaza was ever confirmed. I had assumed that they'd eventually sell the land to a developer, but considering the new bent to the council, it's possible that they'd try and keep it to do something with it themselves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Artist Impression faintly shows the outline of a building next to the Irish Times. When(if) the buildings are CPOed, the land will be in public ownership so builders unlikely to get the opportunity to fight over it. A replacement leisure centre is very likely I'd say with apartments above.

https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/StationsArtistImpressions/MetroLink_Station_ArtistImpressions_Tara_A4_0419.pdf

From what I gather, a replacement centre in the area must be found before construction starts. No idea if that'll be a temporary centre, with a permanent one built onsite, but then again, DCC won't own the land, it'll be in the hands of NTA/TII.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    From what I gather, a replacement centre in the area must be found before construction starts. No idea if that'll be a temporary centre, with a permanent one built onsite, but then again, DCC won't own the land, it'll be in the hands of NTA/TII.

There is little chance of a new swimming pool being built in that area before construction starts. They obviously need a big enough site (which are hard to come by in the city centre), design it, go through planning process, etc. Building a replacement on the site is a more realistic proposition, it could be done when the station box structure is substantially complete which would be well before Metrolink becomes operational. The foundations may even be designed/constructed at the same time, its also easier building a swimming pool if starting with a big hole already.

I'd imagine NTA/TII would be happy to give DCC a long lease to operate a leisure centre there to minimise complaints. They would probably want to retain ownership of the entire site anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII have tendered for Procurement Advisor services to assist with the procurement and then the delivery of the MetroLink project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/178797/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

The early 2020 plan was to publish a tender notice for the Metrolink consturction contract in the quarter before the project was to be submitted to ABP for a railway order. By that timeline, the procurement process for MetroLink should commence in Q1 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Sounds very positive. Wasn't expecting it, at least not at this stage. Fingers crossed but I won't be happy till there's great big holes in the ground

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII are procuring an Independent Engineering Expert to review the Railway Order for Metrolink

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/165452/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Must be close to completion if this is what they're after.

marno21 wrote: »
    TII are procuring an Independent Engineering Expert to review the Railway Order for Metrolink

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/165452/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Must be close to completion if this is what they're after.

Good that they are being so thorough with it but it sounds like it could be tight for the application to be made in H1 next year. Tenders returned end of Jan, appoint someone end of Feb, they'd surely need a couple of months to review what is surely a huge amount of documentation, prepare and submit a report, review report and decide what actions to take, make changes if necessary... Late summer would seem like the earliest it could go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good that they are being so thorough with it but it sounds like it could be tight for the application to be made in H1 next year. Tenders returned end of Jan, appoint someone end of Feb, they'd surely need a couple of months to review what is surely a huge amount of documentation, prepare and submit a report, review report and decide what actions to take, make changes if necessary... Late summer would seem like the earliest it could go in.

How would that fit with the schedule?

There is little chance of a new swimming pool being built in that area before construction starts. They obviously need a big enough site (which are hard to come by in the city centre), design it, go through planning process, etc. Building a replacement on the site is a more realistic proposition, it could be done when the station box structure is substantially complete which would be well before Metrolink becomes operational. The foundations may even be designed/constructed at the same time, its also easier building a swimming pool if starting with a big hole already.

I'd imagine NTA/TII would be happy to give DCC a long lease to operate a leisure centre there to minimise complaints. They would probably want to retain ownership of the entire site anyway.

Yes, I agree it would be easier to build a swimming pool if starting with a big hold already.

There is indeed a big hole, where the Apollo House once was (among other nearby buildings already demolished) and it'll be even bigger once Hawkins House will be gone (already in progress); that is big enough for a swimming pool and certainly a metro station too.

DCC could also have used this opportunity to make a deal with Marlet and build there a replacement new swimming pool.

Marlet could also have used this opportunity to make a deal with TII and build a new building on top of a metro station box, I think it could have been cool and modern; also thinking about potential underground shops in what could have been a possible underground walking connection, from there to the Tara dart station (about ~100mt). Plenty of such examples when thinking of metro in Paris, London, and many other big cities.

The idea to move the Tara metro station from its preferred location to where the Apollo House once was, has already been rejected by TII due to a number of reasons; here's the reference in case anyone is interested: https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/MetroLink_PR_Design_Development.pdf#page=271 (from page 271 to 300)

Given those missed opportunity for DCC and Marlet; and as TII own CPO guideline document is published (https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/MetroLink_CPOGuideline_Doc_FinApp_310820.pdf), it seems that those living in College Gate have (unfortunately) their days numbered, along with the leisure centre and the DCC townhouses.

Just noticed in the metrolink.ie website > news > an update published on the 18th Dec 2020: "Market Update for December 2020"
    https://www.metrolink.ie/#/news

While TII mention the RO application will be made in June 2021, I have a couple of questions, in case anyone could help:

1. the Business Case needs to be submitted for government approval prior the RO application. Is it possible to check somewhere online, the business case once submitted and most importantly, the government's decision?
    I understand that by many, it's like a given it'll be approved but still, I'm interested in reading the final outcome, if it's available to the public.

2. what PPP refers to in the update published? here's the text:
    "
    [...] The preliminary market consultation on the main contract packages including in relation to the PPP option has now been re-scheduled for Q1 2021. The intention is to further explore potential interest and market capacity to support the financing of a PPP option and to consult on its planned scope and potential commercial structure with interested sponsors. This consultation will be conducted by TII with the assistance of the National Development Finance Agency (NDFA). [...]
    "

Full text of the Market Update:
    Metrolink wrote:
    Market update: December 2020

TII continues to develop the MetroLink scheme in preparation for the Railway Order
    application which it anticipates will be made in June 2021. Preparation of the Preliminary
    Business Case is also well advanced in accordance with the summary timetable issued with
    the October update.

Current activities funded by TII in support of the development of MetroLink include a
    number of significant developments:
    * Appointment of a preferred bidder for the provision of a Common Data Environment
    * Appointment of an advisor on BIM and Information Management
    * Appointment of a consultant to prepare the MetroLink Sustainability Plan
    * Tender competition launched (November 2020) for the appointment of a Project Conservation Architect for MetroLink
    * Tender competition launched (7 December 2020) for Procurement Advisor to support TII to prepare tender documents and to procure the appointments for i) a Client Partner and ii) a Project Delivery Partner
    * Tender competition launched (10 December 2020) for Independent Expert in support of MetroLink Property Owners’ Protect Scheme (“POPS”)
    * Progression of the enabling works for the station box at Charlemont Station
    * Supplementary ground investigations (boreholes and trial pits)
    * Seasonal environmental monitoring surveys
    * Supplementary preliminary building condition surveys
    * Ongoing archaeological monitoring of geotechnical investigations

An update in relation to the expected selection of a provider of client services to TII is now expected to follow in January 2021, including the anticipated timing for the PIN and OJEU notice.

The preliminary market consultation on the main contract packages including in relation to the PPP option has now been re-scheduled for Q1 2021. The intention is to further explore potential interest and market capacity to support the financing of a PPP option and to consult on its planned scope and potential commercial structure with interested sponsors.

This consultation will be conducted by TII with the assistance of the National Development Finance Agency (NDFA).

TII’s offices at Parkgate Business Centre, Dublin have re-opened. However, in keeping with government guidelines on COVID 19, attendance is by essential workers only. Consequently, the MetroLink team continues to work remotely. At this stage TII proposes to arrange for any consultation to take place remotely, although this will be kept under review following any change in health guidelines.

A Prior Indicative Notice (PIN) will be published by TII in the Official Journal of the EU in advance of any Contract Notice in respect of the metro works and operations.

• Advertisement

J1. the Business Case needs to be submitted for government approval prior the RO application. Is it possible to check somewhere online, the business case once submitted and most importantly, the government's decision?
    I understand that by many, it's like a given it'll be approved but still, I'm interested in reading the final outcome, if it's available to the public.

Projects must have a business case submitted to DTTAS which will be approved if the business case makes sense. For projects over €100m (we can safely assume this will be) the Business Case must be approved by Cabinet. Once the Business Case is approved, TII will submit the project to An Bord Pleanala (railway order).

I'm not sure if the business case will be made available publicly in full. The decision of Government will be published in the media on the day it's approved (like this: https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/1002/1000457-galway-by-pass)[/QUOTE]
    2. what PPP refers to in the update published? here's the text:
    "
    [...] The preliminary market consultation on the main contract packages including in relation to the PPP option has now been re-scheduled for Q1 2021. The intention is to further explore potential interest and market capacity to support the financing of a PPP option and to consult on its planned scope and potential commercial structure with interested sponsors. This consultation will be conducted by TII with the assistance of the National Development Finance Agency (NDFA). [...]
    "

PPP = public private partnership. As opposed to directly funded by the exchequer. You can find more information on PPPs on Google rather than me copying and pasting here.

Advertisement