Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we going for protein?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Clarence Kennedy did a video on his diet as a vegan...you can imagine the amount of protein he's trying to get at 100/105kg (at the time)

ETA: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fsqg6aJOI

240g protein / 3000 kcals

Thanks for that. I just found it impossible to juggle getting right amounts of fat, calories, calcium and protein so the shakes were simple solution for one macro. Ill watch that video now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

seefin wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I just found it impossible to juggle getting right amounts of fat, calories, calcium and protein so the shakes were simple solution for one macro. Ill watch that video now

I wouldn't worry about using the supplements because they weren't the primary issue and you don't necessarily need 2g/kg anyway so there is leeway.

The video might give you some useful ideas around actual food but supplements still fine imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

seefin wrote: »

He had 3 scoops of pea protein so 30% of his protein came from protein shake. Ill aim to to get down to that percent a day. Anyway enough highjacking the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KathleenF

I’ve ordered before from HP nutrition, they are based in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Im in the same boat i live chatted myprotein yesterdey on their .com site and was assured it will be resent from a European location so we will see what happens!

I just did a live chat with myprotein.ie on my order (stuck with DPD in the UK) and they told me that this new policy of dispatching to EU countries from EU bases was something they're planning to do! I did point out that Brexit happened almost 2 weeks ago and the DPD UK suspension/issues but all I got was that they're resolving this and I will have no VAT etc. charges to pay...seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I suspect a lot of these companies had contingencies in place in case of no deal, that they're re-evaluating in light of the deal.

I've looked at Irish suppliers, and tbh I just can't justify the price difference, at least for whey. I'm not sure how they can compete on the basic whey when if you hold enough yourself, you can get myprotein at 45% or 50% discount.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've looked at Irish suppliers, and tbh I just can't justify the price difference, at least for whey. I'm not sure how they can compete on the basic whey when if you hold enough yourself, you can get myprotein at 45% or 50% discount.

The one I thought of off the top of my head was Bodyfirst. They have 1kg of MP whey for €25 (delivery for orders under €40 is a fiver). It's €24.99 on the MP site.

But MP have the deals where you get a bigger discount the more you spend once you go over €50 at the minute.

I suspect a lot of these companies had contingencies in place in case of no deal, that they're re-evaluating in light of the deal.

I can understand that, but myprotein are telling EU customers on their website that they have a new (Brexit) policy in place...but it turns out that's not true.

And they're telling the likes of me that my order coming from the UK will incur no charges but can't explain why...the smiley faces in their replies doesn't add any reassurance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is there a good Irish based vitamin site? I had been using Myvitamins . "ie" but wondering now could I end up with the same malarkey as its UK based

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    is there a good Irish based vitamin site? I had been using Myvitamins . "ie" but wondering now could I end up with the same malarkey as its UK based

Could try Bodyfirst. I don't work with them, I swear :pac: Just passed the bricks 'n' mortar the other day and thought I'd see what they had 'cause I know they stocked MyProtein.

I have no idea if the vitamins they have are any good...have never used

• Advertisement

MyVitamins is part of the hut group, same as MyProtein, so I'd say it's the same across all their brands/ sites.

KathleenF wrote: »
    I’ve ordered before from HP nutrition, they are based in Kerry.

Thanks for the heads up...looks good.

I had a look at hpnutrition.ie and they have an excellent range of my preferred Solgar brand and at excellent prices...better than my usual purchases with Amazon.

I'm going to try to go Irish from now on (distributors anyway)...feck the Brexit clusterfeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Hp nutrition are as good as anywhere and ireland based.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cole wrote: »
    I can understand that, but myprotein are telling EU customers on their website that they have a new (Brexit) policy in place...but it turns out that's not true.

And they're telling the likes of me that my order coming from the UK will incur no charges but can't explain why...the smiley faces in their replies doesn't add any reassurance either.

Totally agree, these days I expect a higher degree of honesty from any seller.

Thanks for posting your experience as I'm sure others would have gone by what was on their website...

HP Nutrition sounds interesting, no harm going as local as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭vigos

Hp nutrition are as good as anywhere and ireland based.

Anyone have good protein recommendations on hpnutrition that would be similar to MyProtein Impact Whey? Just looking for whey protein without too many added ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

vigos wrote: »
    Anyone have good protein recommendations on hpnutrition that would be similar to MyProtein Impact Whey? Just looking for whey protein without too many added ingredients

7nutrition is good
    Olimp is good
    Optimum is still good
    Bsn is good slightly higher in carbs than some

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've been ordering from The Protein Works and it appears they are acknowledging DHL delays due to Brexit, and say they are trying to rectify the problem. Worth bearing in mind, despite the .ie domain name they have. The information about the delays is only accessible when I went into their help centre FAQ, it is not very obvious if you were placing an order unfortunately.

FWIW when I ordered before delivery was crazy fast. I ordered late Fri night and it's been dispatched this morn. No doubt it will be a bit slower now due to the general Covid/Brexit delays to postal system but they have delivered within 24 hours previously.

Thanks for the heads up...looks good.

I had a look at hpnutrition.ie and they have an excellent range of my preferred Solgar brand and at excellent prices...better than my usual purchases with Amazon.

I'm going to try to go Irish from now on (distributors anyway)...feck the Brexit clusterfeck.

I just did a live chat with myprotein.ie on my order (stuck with DPD in the UK) and they told me that this new policy of dispatching to EU countries from EU bases was something they're planning to do! I did point out that Brexit happened almost 2 weeks ago and the DPD UK suspension/issues but all I got was that they're resolving this and I will have no VAT etc. charges to pay...seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land.

For anyone who is thinking of ordering from myprotein, a quick update for your consideration.

My DPD UK tracking was happily telling me earlier that my parcel was on its way and would be delivered today. The only problem was...it was on its way back to myprotein's address!

Then it told me it was successfully delivered, but myprotein have told me they didn't receive it and the scans are wrong...on lots of items I presume...and they're following it up. Not sure who is at fault for that, but one things for sure, it's a mess...and I get the sense that myprotein haven't a clue what they're doing with the whole Brexit thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

For anyone who is thinking of ordering from myprotein, a quick update for your consideration.

My DPD UK tracking was happily telling me earlier that my parcel was on its way and would be delivered today. The only problem was...it was on its way back to myprotein's address!

Then it told me it was successfully delivered, but myprotein have told me they didn't receive it and the scans are wrong...on lots of items I presume...and they're following it up. Not sure who is at fault for that, but one things for sure, it's a mess...and I get the sense that myprotein haven't a clue what they're doing with the whole Brexit thing.
    Mine is still sitting in DPD depo uk!

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Mine is still sitting in DPD depo uk!

At least you know where it is...or do you;) Even when mine said "Your parcel is at our sortation facility", it never named the depot. I now think it was always lost somewhere in the mess...could be anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

At least you know where it is...or do you;) Even when mine said "Your parcel is at our sortation facility", it never named the depot. I now think it was always lost somewhere in the mess...could be anywhere.
    Thats where it says mine is lol i was just paraphrasing!
    And funnily enough my protein have stated to me its lost and will send out a replacement ive yet to receive the new updated dispatch email ,that was 2 days ago so ill be onto them again in the morning!

Not just them tbh. I've (a non-protein related) package sat with AddressPal showing Heathrow since early December. And Amazon (even with Prime) giving very long delivery times at the moment. It's a complete clusterf*ck.

Luckily, I'm still fairly well stocked on whey, so I'll be waiting to see how this plays out before pulling the trigger on the next 45-50% offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

We're seeing this with a lot of our packages (we have outlets here and the UK - and distribute stock between them too), it's not the costs or companies etc it's the tailback re clearance, Customs, they simply weren't ready for the avalanche of paperwork either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I buy Truetein protein from predator nutrition.

It's a good protein powder option - whey, casein and egg white based.. and more importantly by far the tastiest I've ever had. The vanilla flavour one (only flavour I tasted) mixed with your choice of milk product (like actual milk / soy / etc etc) legit tastes like an actual milkshake. Especially if you mix it and then put it back in the fridge to chill a while.

I never mixed it with water so I can't say how it tastes like that.

Haven't bought any since Brexit and there are postage issues now so no idea how long shipping would take in current climate.

Ordered Fri night from HP Nutrition, delivered before 11am today - that's service. IMG_9107.jpg

Not just them tbh. I've (a non-protein related) package sat with AddressPal showing Heathrow since early December. And Amazon (even with Prime) giving very long delivery times at the moment. It's a complete clusterf*ck.

Luckily, I'm still fairly well stocked on whey, so I'll be waiting to see how this plays out before pulling the trigger on the next 45-50% offer!

At least you know where it is. The myprotein/DPD tracking gives really vague 'updates' and is completely inaccurate. Apparently it's been 'delivered'...but nobody can say where the parcel is. I reckon this will be a long drawn out process of waiting and/or chasing refunds.

In the interests of fairness, myprotein have informed me that they are re-sending orders returned to them by DPD UK (including mine) with a different company and it will have "delivery duty paid". It seems to be pot luck who you get in customer service...finally got a very helpful person who was clued in. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My was due to be delivered yesterday (via MyProtein) and it's stuck in a DPD warehouse.

****ing useless.

• Advertisement

My was due to be delivered yesterday (via MyProtein) and it's stuck in a DPD warehouse.

****ing useless.

I presume it's coming from the UK, so it's either back with myprotein or on its way back.

Advertisement