Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

conor-w wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on buying a DA polisher that does not have a swappable backing plate? Would you get a whole car done with only a 5" backing plate available?

You'll definitely need a smaller plate if you want to do a proper job. DAS6 is a great entry level machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Cheers lads, I live in an apt and I've no access to a socket in the carpark, so I was really hoping to get a cordless one, had my eye on the new DeWalt DA, as it can be had for a decent price with no battery. I might leave it if it won't do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

that is the foam in your seats is dirty (or rather than dirty maybe had too much cleaner applied and wasn't removed fully) and some moisture on the seat wicks it out over time you get the stains.

if you have access a carpet extractor like a bissel spot clean (think they are going to be 100 sterling at some point today for black friday down from 150) you could give it a few passes and either get the dirt out of the foam or get the excess cleaning product out if that's what it is

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have any kind of carpet extractor and it wouldn’t really be worth buying one so if it’s a case of it needing that kind of a wet vacuum treatment I’m as well to take it somewhere and get a deep interior clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Cheers lads, I live in an apt and I've no access to a socket in the carpark, so I was really hoping to get a cordless one, had my eye on the new DeWalt DA, as it can be had for a decent price with no battery. I might leave it if it won't do the job.

Shinemate do a few cordless machines that seem to be well reviewed and are a good bit cheaper than the flex versions

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shinemate-12mm-cordless-random-orbital-polisher

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Shinemate do a few cordless machines that seem to be well reviewed and are a good bit cheaper than the flex versions

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shinemate-12mm-cordless-random-orbital-polisher

A tone here have any experience of these cordless ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Do I have to be careful cleaning factory tinted windows or will they hold up the same as normal clear glass? I know with aftermarket tint you have to not scratch the inside. But is factory tint the same for being careful not to scratch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do I have to be careful cleaning factory tinted windows or will they hold up the same as normal clear glass? I know with aftermarket tint you have to not scratch the inside. But is factory tint the same for being careful not to scratch it?

Never had a problem with any of mine, just cleaned as normal.

What are people's thoughts on washing + decontaminating a car in one location, then driving it 30 mins to another location to polish it? Is there something that could easily remove what little dirt would be picked up during that journey, if I had absolutely no access to water in the second location?

What are people's thoughts on washing + decontaminating a car in one location, then driving it 30 mins to another location to polish it? Is there something that could easily remove what little dirt would be picked up during that journey, if I had absolutely no access to water in the second location?

Could you bring enough water to do a rinseless wipe with optimum no rinse when you get there? Never used it myself but it looks pretty good from videos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You could use a self service car wash and just bring your buckets,mitt etc if there was one close. 30 minutes isn't far but this time of year you could pick up a lot more dirt, you could use onr but personally don't like the idea of a "waterless wash" type product

• Advertisement

Yeah I won't be doing it until the weather is decent again I would say, so it would hopefully not pick up too much stuff. I wouldn't be mad on those products either really, at a stretch I could probably fill a bucket or 2 from my kitchen sink.

Yeah I won't be doing it until the weather is decent again I would say, so it would hopefully not pick up too much stuff. I wouldn't be mad on those products either really, at a stretch I could probably fill a bucket or 2 from my kitchen sink.

Could you not connect a hose the the tap in the kitchen?

vectra wrote: »
    Could you not connect a hose the the tap in the kitchen?

I live in an apartment, I would be doing the polishing in the underground carpark. Seems like it would be very handy if I wanted to do a 2 step polish and coating as it would be covered all the time, which is why I'm thinking of it, but I would have to go back to my parent's house to get the car ready for polishing.

I live in an apartment, I would be doing the polishing in the underground carpark. Seems like it would be very handy if I wanted to do a 2 step polish and coating as it would be covered all the time, which is why I'm thinking of it, but I would have to go back to my parent's house to get the car ready for polishing.

watering can and a bucket of warm water to wash and rinse providing it is not covered in Sh17e.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Why not pick up some 5L bottles of water in Aldi/Lidl/wherever and stick it in the boot of the car. You have water then if/when you need it to rinse down.

Does anyone know of an Irish shop that stocks Koch Chemie? Interested in trying GSF, seems to get a lot of great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Potentially a stupid question... what is the alcohol concentration of commercially available IPA Panel Wipe? For example, I have CleanerCar Panel Wipe but nowhere on the packaging/label does it state the alcohol concentration - https://dnddetailing.ie/product/cleaner-car-i-p-a-1l/

I've looked at a few other brands but I can't see it mentioned either, for example Gtechniq - https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto/wash-decon-polish/pw-panel-wipe/

Not answering the question but forensic detailing guy on YouTube has a video making his own panel wipe. Probably not far off what the commercial ones are. https://youtu.be/IhgOHVmkV_I

Theres a guy on ebay who ive bought 99% ipa from and I am pretty sure it ships from inside Ireland so no issues

Not answering the question but forensic detailing guy on YouTube has a video making his own panel wipe. Probably not far off what the commercial ones are. https://youtu.be/IhgOHVmkV_I

Theres a guy on ebay who ive bought 99% ipa from and I am pretty sure it ships from inside Ireland so no issues

Thanks for replying. It makes sense alright if you make it yourself because you'll know the percentage of alcohol and how much to dilute it etc. It's just confusing that commercially available IPA panel wipe doesn't specify the concentration (from the browsing I have been doing) :confused:

I just buy 99% isopropyl alcohol and then mix it at 15% with deionized water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

IPA does not remove polish residue as efficiently as the likes of Gtechniq Panel Wipe or CarPro Eraser. It has been proven in videos by KDS Keltec. With IPA you would need to do 4-5 passes as opposed to 1-2 with Panel Wipe or Eraser. You're much better off with these dedicated products.

Anyone ever try body shop panel wipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yep. It's ok. There's better towels or there tbh but it's ok if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Ive being using one of these at the moment and find it okay, probably could do with a couple more.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Accessories/Chamois-Drying-Towel/xl-trade-microfibre-drying-towel.html

Was looking at this one from The Rag Company as well

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=186&product_id=844

I wouldn't be into spending big money on a drying towel tbh, 20 quid would be my max.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Ive being using one of these at the moment and find it okay, probably could do with a couple more.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Accessories/Chamois-Drying-Towel/xl-trade-microfibre-drying-towel.html

Was looking at this one from The Rag Company as well

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=186&product_id=844

I wouldn't be into spending big money on a drying towel tbh, 20 quid would be my max.

I have the twistress one from the rag company..great towel imo,not overly big compared to other drying towels but I really like it...just be aware,as the description says its not a real high pile towel if thats what you are after as it's a twist weave... i think they were selling those towels off at 12eur a month ago or so on reflectautocare so they may be back on offer in the future...

IPA does not remove polish residue as efficiently as the likes of Gtechniq Panel Wipe or CarPro Eraser. It has been proven in videos by KDS Keltec. With IPA you would need to do 4-5 passes as opposed to 1-2 with Panel Wipe or Eraser. You're much better off with these dedicated products.

But what is the concentration of alcohol in the likes of the Gtechniq Panel Wipe? :)
    Since it isn't specified I assume that it's more likely to be in the range of 10-15% (less likely to damage the car) rather than 50-70% (more likely to damage the car)?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

But what is the concentration of alcohol in the likes of the Gtechniq Panel Wipe? :)
    Since it isn't specified I assume that it's more likely to be in the range of 10-15% (less likely to damage the car) rather than 50-70% (more likely to damage the car)?

I have absolutely no idea. I don't think companies release this information for good reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

Hi, any recommendations for replacing the hose and head parts of the Karcher K4?

https://www.woodies.ie/karcher-k4-full-control-home-kit-pressure-washer-1125070

The pressure is perfectly fine for an electric pump, but the hose is very hard and difficult to maneuver around, and the actual lance is pure cat ****. very heavy, flimsy plastic materials which broke in no time.

I'm looking to replace the hose with something made of a softer plastic/rubber, and I'd like to replace the lance with one of those small hand lances with quick release and multiple head attachments.

I haven't a motion about compatibility, or what's good. I do wash frequently but generally with poor equipment. Would like to step it up a notch!

Thank you !‚

• Advertisement

Is there any issues with ordering products from UK stores these days or extra charges ?

Advertisement