Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭consulatory

garo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I did end up getting the C.120. I couldn't find the operating pressure anywhere including in the Nilfisk catalog but I just checked it is on the Amazon page.
    I got the patio cleaner and also got a dedicated Meguiar's snow foam lance. Is the dedicated car spray nozzle worth it?

I think it is - wider spray. plus i dont have to mess around twisting the other nozzle to be wider all the time. just put the nozzle with car symbol on it and away i go.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

My power washer has packed in, it never had a foam lance or anything

I was going to buy the Karcher K4 which seems to have a foam lance and you can push a bottle into the top. Is this good/bad? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I was going to buy the Karcher K4 which seems to have a foam lance and you can push a bottle into the top. Is this good/bad? thanks

Those bottles arent worth a damn. You can get a decent one for about 30 quid on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look at the nilfisk washers. Get a brass fitting Lance off AliExpress for much cheaper.
    The ones that come with washers are for patios and are absolutely dirt.....

Amazon will be doing black Friday deals so keep an eye.

I won't be buying karcher again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Here you go > Grab one while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Might interest someone here if you use parcel motel, not a bad deal as some of those brushes are normally 12 or 13 euro each

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076BFVBMT/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B076BFVBMT&linkCode=as2&tag=davechci0e-21&linkId=691c035fe65821266a89e4dc466941ec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Picking up a fairly decent car in the morning, looks in superb condition to my untrained eye. I was into detailing for a while around 06 to 12 but things have moved on!

What should I definitely have a pro do to bring and keep the car in top condition?

I don’t think I can stretch to ceramics, will most likely move the car on in a couple of years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

2019 A6 Daytona Grey Pearl - no noticeable scratches or swirls to my untrained eye.

Thinking of giving the car a full-er detail than I usually do in the new year.

Have been keeping it washed regularly using snow foam and two bucket wash and BH QD after.

Every few months been doing this:
    - Snow foam
    - 2 bucket wash
    - Carpro tar x
    - BH Korisol fallout remover
    - GTechniq c2v3
    - BH QD
    - Carpro perl on tryes

Was thinking of adding in claymat, finishing polish, & ceramic coating steps after the fallout remover.
    Tried out the claymat and then Autogylm super resin polish on the 00 ford focus recently, hand polished but imagine machine would do much better job.

Any tips on a polishing machine to pick up valued at under €250?

Am I jumping the gun polishing it when paint work appears in good nick?

Tips on ceramic coating that lasts a long time and ok to apply by a non-professional?

Pan reckons these can be applied by non pro's:
    AvalonKing Armor Shield IX, CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0:, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC-YpSGawRU&t=18s

Now I'm a little hesitant applying these as reading the description on it:
    https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/products/gtechniq-crystal-serum-light

"a coating so hard that if applied incorrectly can only be removed by using 1,500 grit sand paper. Serum Light offers 80% of Professional Serum’s performance, but if applied incorrectly can be machine polished from your vehicle’s paintwork"

I have applied Gtechniq G5 Water to windows 6 months ago, seemed to work a treat.

rodge123 wrote: »
    2019 A6 Daytona Grey Pearl - no noticeable scratches or swirls to my untrained eye. .

Go out in the dark and just put the flash light on your phone over the paintwork at different angles to see the paintwork as it *could* be seen in strong sunlight.
    Any tips on a polishing machine to pick up valued at under €250?

Forensic Detailing just posted a video about the £100 DAS8(the new DAS6): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXKUKzm0CQ

I bought the DAS8 and apart from the included (somewhat cheap) wrench rounding off and being useless, it's pretty good. i got from in2detailing who im not a fan of but they are the main ppl for it. I use Koch Chemie pads & polish - also reccmd. by Forensic Detailing guy.

UK based youtuber who i found v. helpful and easy to watch to understand what's needed. He also has some older videos about polishing with the DAS6 etc.
    Tips on ceramic coating that lasts a long time and ok to apply by a non-professional?

I personally wouldn't do it myself(i'm just at the beginner level of using DA/have polished 2 cars so far) but it seems the stress of learning how to do it and the potential for messing it up would just end up with more correction work. Whats the price diff between a pro doing it and you buying it and doing it?

• Advertisement

You could use a "lightweight" ceramic coating like Carpro Lite,Can Coat,Tac System Moonlight etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Go out in the dark and just put the flash light on your phone over the paintwork at different angles to see the paintwork as it *could* be seen in strong sunlight.

Forensic Detailing just posted a video about the £100 DAS8(the new DAS6): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXKUKzm0CQ

I bought the DAS8 and apart from the included (somewhat cheap) wrench rounding off and being useless, it's pretty good. i got from in2detailing who im not a fan of but they are the main ppl for it. I use Koch Chemie pads & polish - also reccmd. by Forensic Detailing guy.

UK based youtuber who i found v. helpful and easy to watch to understand what's needed. He also has some older videos about polishing with the DAS6 etc.

I personally wouldn't do it myself(i'm just at the beginner level of using DA/have polished 2 cars so far) but it seems the stress of learning how to do it and the potential for messing it up would just end up with more correction work. Whats the price diff between a pro doing it and you buying it and doing it?

Yeah have seen a few of uk detailing guy videos, seems to know his stuff.
    Must find the time to sit down and watch any ceramic coating videos he has.

A quick google is suggesting getting a professional detailer to apply ceramic coating will cost many multiples of doing it myself. Paying for labour hours it takes to get car perfect before appying it I suppose.

Here for example.
    https://ceramicpro.ie/

500 yoyos for the basic package!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Are there any Irish shops selling P&S products?

By the by, just something I will add. Although the machine only cost £100, the polish & pads and panel wipe will add up.

And if I was back at square one, I would contact a local polisher and see if I could cut a deal whereby I do all decon and they come in and do final polish.
    They will have all tools and experience to just do it right.

I bought 3 x 3" pads, 4 x 5" pads (mainly koch chemie yellow, with 1 each of red & purple in both sizes) and still tend to split polishing a car over multiple days as even cleaning them out inbetween polishing sets isn't going to stretch them to do multiple panels in one go).

Also, commit to x amount of sets and then just stop even if you haven't achieved perfection(as you never will).
    I managed to burn some paint by getting carried away with removing all trace scratches from around door handle. It's not a nice feeling.

I went in disciplined but it's too easy to just give it another few passes.

conor-w wrote: »

Reflect auto care are stockists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I believe Autopia now stock them too

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

I washed my car at the weekend and it has lots of water bubbles/spots on it now? How do I remove these and can they damage the paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I washed my car at the weekend and it has lots of water bubbles/spots on it now? How do I remove these and can they damage the paint?

Just wash it again and dry it properly this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Looking very manky these days.

679-A5-F13-77-D0-4-C90-934-C-86-DCEC9-ABD5-D.jpg

D2-CCAE0-C-F8-E5-49-FE-9-D23-98-E34-CF34-E2-A.jpg

92898-D72-3-E20-4674-86-AB-54-D79-CF9-EB5-E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Looking very manky these days.

Same as mine. I was going to wash it this morning but then I read that there is a yellow warning for rain tomorrow in Connaught so I thought what's the point. I'm working from home most of the time so it's really just sitting in the driveway dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

The water spots are due to washing your car in direct sunlight. The soap solution dries much faster in the sunlight (whether it's warm or not) leaving the water residue after you've cleaned your car, it doesn't do damage provided it's not left to bake on the car for a very long time in more sunlight, next time you are washing it make sure you're in the shade, an overcast day with no rain is ideal car washing weather. Or if you want to try fix it right away just wash your car panel by panel using these steps.

1)Rinse the driver side door (as an example,start wherever you want)
    2)Get your soapy wash mitt and clean the door panel
    3)Rinse the driver door panel once again
    4)Dry it off immediately, then move onto the next panel.

doing this all around the car is a good way to make sure you don't have water spots if you're washing in direct sunlight.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Cleaned the car today after many months, spent two hours and she got the TLC she's been waiting for lol

Anyone else think the postage costs from the Irish shops is a bit much in some cases? I wanted to buy 1 or 2 small things, and multiple places were looking for around 8 quid postage, when I'm in the same county as them. Feels like that's a lot for 15 quid worth of stuff, maybe there is no cheaper way for them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Anyone else think the postage costs from the Irish shops is a bit much in some cases? I wanted to buy 1 or 2 small things, and multiple places were looking for around 8 quid postage, when I'm in the same county as them. Feels like that's a lot for 15 quid worth of stuff, maybe there is no cheaper way for them to do it.

It can be alright so now I just generally make a list of items I use regularly stock like those and purchase those along side what ever item I require in a hurry .
    Balances itself out in the end I think.
    Black Friday is coming so expect deals on delivery prices soon.

In fairness €8 isn't much for postage, the stores are probably open to collect stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭championc

An Post postage is damn expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Whats the best approach for dealing with this the seats in my car were clean then in the last week or so all these white marks started to appear on passenger seat and slightly on passenger rear rest are ok. Car was parked up a long time before I bought it in August so possibly to do with that. Is it worth trying a seat cleaner detergent or do I need to take it somewhere the get the interior wet washed and vacuumed ?

What are people's thoughts on buying a DA polisher that does not have a swappable backing plate? Would you get a whole car done with only a 5" backing plate available?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

CIP4 wrote: »
    Whats the best approach for dealing with this the seats in my car were clean then in the last week or so all these white marks started to appear on passenger seat and slightly on passenger rear rest are ok. Car was parked up a long time before I bought it in August so possibly to do with that. Is it worth trying a seat cleaner detergent or do I need to take it somewhere the get the interior wet washed and vacuumed ?

that is the foam in your seats is dirty (or rather than dirty maybe had too much cleaner applied and wasn't removed fully) and some moisture on the seat wicks it out over time you get the stains.

if you have access a carpet extractor like a bissel spot clean (think they are going to be 100 sterling at some point today for black friday down from 150) you could give it a few passes and either get the dirt out of the foam or get the excess cleaning product out if that's what it is

@4.30 https://youtu.be/AaNiHFW11yA?t=260

• Advertisement

What are people's thoughts on buying a DA polisher that does not have a swappable backing plate? Would you get a whole car done with only a 5" backing plate available?

Depends on the car but parts like pillars,boot, bumpers etc can be awkward and you'd be better off swapping to the likes of a 75mm or smaller backing plate. There is so many polishers out there now to choose from

Advertisement