Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

not that I rate the ICON but the 12z didn't phase the lows, unlike the 0z so a good start.

the UKMO phases them but the bottom low at T96 looks suspiciously deep.. we really need the UKMO on board soon..

UW96-21.GIF?12-16

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    the UKMO phases them but the bottom low at T96 looks suspiciously deep.. we really need the UKMO on board soon..

Somehow it still manages a gap for that high to ridge at t144, could be better could be worse.

FI is around t96 rather than t120 at the moment with this phasing of lows and looks like we could have a new problem that was brought forward first by the 06z in the form of a secondary low although GFS 12z doesn't seem to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

dunno what happened to the UKMO but the lows seemed to "unphase" at T144... odd but I'll take it as a positive!

Edit: Sryan beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Maybe I'm being pedantic (or ignorant) but is "phase" the right term? I've never heard of anything phasing together or being phased together. Fused?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Maybe I'm being pedantic (or ignorant) but is "phase" the right term? I've never heard of anything phasing together or being phased together. Fused?

It's a reference to waveforms no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This 12z is upsetting to say the least, the block pushed West with the usual results. Moving right along...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

This 12z is upsetting to say the least, the block pushed West with the usual results. Moving right along...

The blizzard in FI is very pretty though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The general definition is anything from 120 hours onwards is FI, some would stretch that to 144. However, as you've probably noticed, a lot of this also depends on what's going on more generally. For instance, the current SSW event means that FI is even more unreliable than usual. On the other hand, a large block, for example that which settled over Ireland during that epic summer of 2018, can result in the charts stagnating for a very long period, during which FI becomes somewhat more reliable than usual as an indicator of how long such a pattern might last.

Others have given very detailed scientific explanations of this, but if I could add more of a simplistic outlook, if I'm ever showing these charts to a friend I usually tell them that light green or cooler (towards purple) shows a low pressure system, while light yellow or warmer (towards orange and red) shows a high pressure system. In the Winter, this skews a bit, as light green also qualifies as high pressure relative to everything around it (the entire thing about atmospheric pressure is that it's entirely dependent on its surroundings - a system is only high or low relative to its closest neighbouring air masses, such that while green would normally not qualify as high, when it's surrounded by deep lows (dark blues and purples) it can.

Again another simplification, but very very broadly speaking, high pressure brings dry conditions and clear skies, low pressure brings potentially wet conditions and cloudy skies.

I realise that this is very much not the whole story but for the purposes of interpreting these charts particularly from the point of view of the average Irish weather system, I'd suggest that it's more than enough for someone who's new to reading the charts. The key thing about this to remember is that the colours really don't have that big an impact on whether we're going to get snow because what really matters is where the air is coming from.

What's important to understand is that high pressure systems rotate in a clockwise direction, while low pressure systems rotate in an anticlockwise direction (although the opposite is true in the southern hemisphere). This, combined with which direction the system approached Ireland from (west, east, south or north) is the key to determining if it's likely to bring snow or not.

Take this chart for today, for example (Note to mods: Only showing this to compare with a subsequent FI chart, as it has a very simple and easy to explain setup! This is still an FI post as ye will see further down :D )

gfs-0-6.png?6

What you need to visualise when you look at a chart like this (and to be honest, I've always wondered why Meteociel doesn't include these markings as a feature, I know @Sryanbruen frequently draws them in as I've done here, to illustrate his forecasts) is the direction on the airflow, based on whether the pressure is high or low. As I've mentioned, you can glean that from looking at the colours, so in this particular case, you need to visualise this:

WgqcKnQ.png

As you can see from this image, there are two main points regarding today's weather in Ireland:

1: We are sandwiched directly between a high pressure system to the southwest (the Azores High, or Subtropical Ridge) and a low pressure system to the Northeast. This is why today's weather is so unstable, oscillating between rain and dry and back again.

2: Because of our position between these two systems, the airflow over the country is a northwesterly airflow - the air is coming from the northwest.

If you look at the temperature charts, you can see why this is important:

gfs-1-6.png?6

Superimpose those two images over one another in your mind, and you'll see that the northwesterly airflow we are currently under brings relatively mild air from the Atlantic. This results in rain if the pressure over Ireland is low, or dry is it's high.

Looking to the North and East, you can see the much colder air which the coldies here are dying to tap into - in order to do that, we need the pressure systems to align such that they are pushing air into Ireland from either the East or the North. South, West, or Northwest won't cut it for us because the air over the Atlantic is naturally warm and, crucially, an airmass which passes over the Atlantic will tend to itself warm up as it crosses, such that a cold system which approaches us from the West or Northwest has almost certainly warmed up too much for snow by the time it reaches Ireland.

Now, on to the juicier FI stuff :D I've drawn in the directions of the air flow and marked high and low areas, just as before (again, I've always felt that this would all be a lot easier to explain to folks if Meteociel had charts which showed arrows within the isobars and marked H and L where appropriate, but I digress)

UFHpvrf.png

As you can see, this places Ireland under a northerly airflow, as we sit on the Westernmost edge of a large polar low pressure system.

gfs-1-234.png?6

Again, superimposing the two charts together, you can see why this results in a cold outbreak, and why therefore, such charts are very exciting to those of us here who enjoy cold :D:D:D

Hope this clears it up a little, and again to the far more knowledgeable posters here I do realise that geopotential and pressure are not the same thing, but nine times out of ten for the lay person one can use these charts synonymously without problems arising!
    Love the effort man! Just wanted to mention that one of your diagrams appears to have air circulating anticlockwise around the Greenland High? But good stuff otherwise :)

highdef wrote: »
    The blizzard in FI is very pretty though :P

Correction: The TWO blizzards in FI are very pretty though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

highdef wrote: »
    Correction: The TWO blizzards in FI are very pretty though :D

At day 50?

• Advertisement

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    At day 50?

The first arriving around +300 hours and the second at the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Darwin

On the plus side the Icon model is showing a marked improvement today (as in edging closer to a easterly incursion) than yesterday. GEM also showing similar modelling as yesterdays run. Will be interesting to see what the ECM comes up with this evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully a decent ECM this evening. Far too much uncertainty and big swings from one run to another to take the GFS seriously right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes hopefully the ECM is consistent. The problem with the latest GFS is everything could end up too far north because there is not enough entrenched cold in place to stop an active Atlantic from doing so, so instead of an epic snow fall we get miserable cold rain

West based NAO imminent
    Thats going to dilute the effects of any polar vortex movement cold spells in Ireland and largely replace them with blandness
    Certainly no prolonged cold anyway
    That will be reserved for Greece
    At best you'll be looking at fronts creating snow events in Central and Eastern England as they bump into glancing blows of continental cold there
    As we say down these parts,it's good night Joe doyle
    Day 10 charts can be as beautiful now as they like but that's where they'll stay

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1349010946656763919?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

AuntySnow wrote: »
    West based NAO imminent
    Thats going to dilute the effects of any polar vortex movement cold spells in Ireland and largely replace them with blandness
    At best you'll be looking at fronts creating snow events in Central and Eastern England as they bump into glancing blows of continental cold there

What's the opposite of thanking a post? I know I have no grounds to report you but your post has greatly upset me.....

West based NAO imminent
    Day 10 charts can be as beautiful now as they like but that's where they'll stay

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1349010946656763919?s=19
    372 hrs :O

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

I'm almost sure he was promoting deep cold for NW Europe recently, seems to change his opinion based on model outputs. West Based NAO is defo a possibility but wouldn't be throwing in the towel yet!

Zogabomb wrote: »
    I'm almost sure he was promoting deep cold for NW Europe recently, seems to change his opinion based on model outputs. West Based NAO is defo a possibility but wouldn't be throwing in the towel yet!

It’s 372 hours away! Way too far out

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    372 hrs :O

Yup,theoretical, this is the FI thread
    Rebelbrowser, you can put the valium down for now
    Its not a signal you'd want to be seeing though

• Advertisement

Zogabomb wrote: »

No I do not
    I use the word theoretical in most if not all of my posts here when talking about what they're showing
    Didn't get it into that one because someone rang me,thought it was there
    Word of caution though
    Those are anomaly charts
    372 is not terribly FI in anomalies
    My opinion is we won't know until at least Sunday,what way this is all heading
    My expectation is a cold to very very cold outbreak episode at the end of next week to be honest
    But like everyone, I just don't know

I suspect the glosea5 model detected such a possibilty, as there are increasing signs of its long range forecast from two weeks ago verifying. They did hedge their bets somewhat in subsequent updates, but their general thinking of the boundary between competing airmasses could be somewhere over England with milder air for Ireland could be right. If this does verify there is a possibility we get colder air over here at times, but i don't think it would be sustained

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

right now it looks like this upcoming spell could be a battleground between the mild south-west Europe and cold north-east Europe with the battleground over Ireland and the UK. If you want cold and snow Scotland and north-east England look like safe bets and the fun starts there from Thursday. Still looks up in the air for us and we may not have an answer till later in the weekend or even early next week.

If we get really lucky and a proper cold spell gets going for us the road to this one has not been an easy or straight forward one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

No I do not
    I use the word theoretical in most if not all of my posts here when talking about what they're showing
    Word of caution though
    Those are anomaly charts
    My expectation is a cold to very very cold outbreak episode at the end of next week to be honest

I think he was referring to your tweet.

ECM very good out to +168

ECM1-168.gif
    free image hosting api

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

No I do not
    Word of caution though
    Those are anomaly charts

Sorry Auntysnow, I was referring to Dr. Ventrice when I said "He was promoting cold NW Europe" - if you look back at his tweets, you will see what I mean!

Gonzo wrote: »
    right now it looks like this upcoming spell could be a battleground between the mild south-west Europe and cold north-east Europe with the battleground over Ireland and the UK. If you want cold and snow Scotland and north-east England look like safe bets and the fun starts there from Thursday. Still looks up in the air for us and we may not have an answer till later in the weekend or even early next week.

If we get really lucky and a proper cold spell gets going for us the road to this one has not been an easy or straight forward one!

Indeed it was much more straightforward back in 2018, also 2010 if i am not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

850hPa temps in the prospective cold spell upcoming are looking even more marginal than the last few days of the last cold snap.

Very much returning polar maritime air, recycled many times, chance of some snow but certainly no big freeze on any charts I have seen in last 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECMWF monthly is cold and unsettled but snow predominantly on hills

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

850hPa temps in the prospective cold spell upcoming are looking even more marginal than the last few days of the last cold snap.

Very much returning polar maritime air, recycled many times, chance of some snow but certainly no big freeze on any charts I have seen in last 3 days.

This is what I am seeing as well. I hope we are both wrong but it at this stage, it is looking pretty much like a repeat of the last cold spell. I'm sure many would embrace such a prospect, but for me, I'd rather walk on hot coals.

New Moon

• Advertisement

looking over everything since yesterday and what we have right now this is looking increasingly like another underwhelming cool/cold spell. GFS all over the place and the poor runs with plenty of Atlantic modification outnumber the decent runs. ECM is cool to cold but not even as cold as the last cold spell, all i'm seeing is -2 to -5 uppers at best. All signs of a decent easterly seem more or less gone now and just some northerly action with plenty of Atlantic modification.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement