Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think filming may have concluded in early 2020, before the pandemic. Could be wrong on that

Filming of Cobra Kai S3 was done before the pandemic but afaik the Netflix after party show was only commissioned in November 2020. I don't recommend watching it either way. It was painful.

for those of you all saying its not as enjoyable, can i ask what ye expected from a show that should have always been terrible?

season 3 is still well ahead of what anyone expected from season 1.

its cheesey nostalgia on purpose and takes the piss out of the modern pc world, it exactly all the things everyone like so much about the first 2 seasons.

i do agree tho 2 more short seasons is the max they can get from it and id be happy with only 1 more.

So I should like season 3 because it is better than a pre-conceived notion of what season 1 should have been...?

Season 1 set the bar far higher than expected. Season 3 has failed to continue that form. It's clear to me at this point that they've ran out of ideas; making up whatever allegiances haven't happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Very skeptical going into Season 1 before Christmas. Really liked it. Just finished the third season and loved the nostalgia.

This show is utterly ridiculous and great fun. Really enjoyed all of it so far. Hope they finish it in season 4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 little bit of help

I read online the writers have six seasons planned. Not sure how much more they can really do (they have brought back nearly everyone from the films at this point) Robbie is awful but almost tolerable since he got a decent hair cut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I read online the writers have six seasons planned. Not sure how much more they can really do (they have brought back nearly everyone from the films at this point) Robbie is awful but almost tolerable since he got a decent hair cut

I do like the younger cast, they do have enough I think to carry two more seasons (at most) now that the nostalgia well is drying up.

Kreese can't last beyond next season though, someone will end up killing him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I do like the younger cast, they do have enough I think to carry two more seasons (at most) now that the nostalgia well is drying up.

Kreese can't last beyond next season though, someone will end up killing him.

Yeah krees is done, will they get Swank, I'd say they've asked the question

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Yeah krees is done, will they get Swank, I'd say they've asked the question

Swank would be a tough get, a cameo is possible.

I'd say Miguel, Robby and Samantha will end up on the same team at some point and they'll introduce some rival dojo then, possibly led by a returning Aisha?

EDIT maybe Swank could be leader of that dojo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

The wonder it be Terry Silver that will eventually come in for Kreese...

I'd say Miguel, Robby and Samantha will end up on the same team at some point and they'll introduce some rival dojo then, possibly led by a returning Aisha?

Nah id say she'd jump at the chance. Record viewership. Her career which was very promising went relatively quiet. Other than Trust, I haven't seen her in anything else in years.

One thing for sure, Sean Kanan (Mike Barnes) is well up for a part :D and he's telling anyone prepared to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She has already starred in another Netflix series so maybe not that hard.

• Advertisement

Ok....maybe I'm taking the two time Oscar winner bit a bit literal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I enjoyed season 3. I think one of the main problems is that they're fleshing out the other characters. They had to.
    None of them are as strong as Johnny though. It's not even close. It's his show, and when he's not around the show is weaker for it.

Ralph Macchio's acting reminds me of Seinfeld. You can almost see him grinning to the audience in some scenes. He does have some good moments, but he makes it too easy to side with Johnny.

Ralph does take you out of it at times especially the stuff in Japan but he's still so likeable. It's his role of a lifetime and it still works.

But yeah without Zabka the show falls apart. The guy could have something after this show finishes that's for sure.

Ralph does take you out of it at times especially the stuff in Japan but he's still so likeable. It's his role of a lifetime and it still works.

But yeah without Zabka the show falls apart. The guy could have something after this show finishes that's for sure.

Zabka has always been typecast as a Bully type character. I can't imagine there are many other roles out there for him really. He would be okay in comedy roles perhaps but then, comedy is not what it used be.

Zabka has always been typecast as a Bully type character. I can't imagine there are many other roles out there for him really. He would be okay in comedy roles perhaps but then, comedy is not what it used be.

But that's it, he's been typecast as a bully but he has show depth beyond it here.

I'm not saying I'm expecting him to land serious roles but landing a regular gig on another tv show? I can see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

That whole scene where he talks about his greasy portraits is hilarious, and to be fair, Miguel makes it even better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

That’s a really big worry... they can’t Get much more out of it
    Season 4 next which will end in the all valley competition where is left to go after that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Terry Silver’s arrival and presumably Mike Barnes (“The Bad Boy of Karate”) at some stage will inject a new lease of life.

But that's it, he's been typecast as a bully but he has show depth beyond it here.

I'm not saying I'm expecting him to land serious roles but landing a regular gig on another tv show? I can see that.

Still a bit of a meathead type character in this though. That said there is quite a lot of traits of Gene Hunt's character (Philip Glenister) in him. A kind of a comedy non-pc cop role would suit him.

Bit of humour I discovered in the past week. Martin Kove cameo in the Goldbergs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

Terry Silver’s arrival and presumably “Mike Barnes’ (the Bad Boy of Karate) at some stage will inject a new lease of life.
    :pac:
    Also Hillary Swank from TNKK to bring in at some stage, S5 perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the last episode was bonkers but entertaining, even had a chick boss fight, some of the series dragged out too much, if somebody had that series and edited an hour out of it, wouldnt have missed anything, got a bit convoluted with 3 groups to keep track of

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Limited ourselves to 1 ep a night to stretch it out, absolutely loved it. Lot of side switching and not enough actually showing the kids training though. Love the idea of the the tourney for season 4 and should be entertaining enough with Daniel and Johnny trying to co-sensei.

#BringBackStingray

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The best bits for me are with Johnny and Miguel, especially where Miguel basically has to parent Johnny and mentor him in the ways of the 21st century.

Overall, not as good as the others but still very entertaining. Main gripe was Cobra Kai acting as the mafia and nobody getting police involved at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Main gripe was Cobra Kai acting as the mafia and nobody getting police involved at any point.

Yeah, that was annoying me too. Going far beyond high school bullying. GBH from Hawk. Grand larceny when they stole the charity money.
    I suppose you have to leave reality at the door though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My teenage crush on Elisabeth Shue is there now as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Binged watched in two days, I love it! Eceryone saying it only has one season left is probably right but I hope your massively wrong.

I dont think ill ever watch the karate kid again without thinking Johnny is actually a sound fella

duffman13 wrote: »
    Binged watched in two days, I love it! Eceryone saying it only has one season left is probably right but I hope your massively wrong.

I dont think ill ever watch the karate kid again without thinking Johnny is actually a sound fella

You're alight LaRusso!

Kreese was always the real prick of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

William Zabka has proved himself to be the star of it... naturally funny and probably gives the best performance (although it’s not saying much as performances are largely dogs*it! :D)

Ralph Macchio is particularly poor in comparison.

I thought the set-pieces with the kids fighting - i.e school fight at end of season 2 - was a bit OTT until the fight at end of season 3 in LaRusso’s house... one kid being thrown in through a fecking window! CHRYIST ON A BIKE!:D

• Advertisement

Macchio is fine to me. He's not asked to do much but I do enjoy him bouncing off Zabka and the wife.

The Japan scenes were hard to watch though.

Advertisement