Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Widows last night. It's a fantastic heist movie with a brilliant cast and some lovely touches with the cinematography. There's a scene where Colin Farrell gets into his chauffeur driven car and it shows how quickly the streets move from poor to rich that is superbly handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched Olympus Has Fallen. I was expecting this to be quite bad tbh but I had fun watching it. Plenty of good action and I liked Gerard Butler's character. Reminded me a bit of Metal Gear Solid with the whole 'find this person before the terrorists do' plot. I'll have to give the sequel a look.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tory Belleci doesn't get a mention in the trailer at all.

Over the past few months Amazon have been adding far more movies to their service than Netflix have. Great to see!
    They added a huge number of movies to my service just in the last week and that may have something to do with Customers seeing that Amazon Prime is due for renewal and needing to decide if they will let the €69 annual fee go through or cancel before their card gets debited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah people’s renewal dates are scattered so that wouldn’t be the reason (primary reason anyway). Much more likely is that the start of the year would bring with it a bunch of new film rights - you typically see a big wave of archive content appearing across all streaming services every year on December 31st / January 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

They added a huge number of movies to my service just in the last week and that may have something to do with Customers seeing that Amazon Prime is due for renewal and needing to decide if they will let the €69 annual fee go through or cancel before their card gets debited.

I'm actually paying monthly at the moment myself. I was a bit wary for signing up for a year again because of Brexit, but looks like it might not have impacted us as badly as I feared. I'd still prefer to wait for some kind of reduction/deal for the yearly sub amount, but even the regular yearly sub works out slightly less than paying it monthly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I had it free for a year with Eir and didn't think I'd sign up once I had to start paying but I think now it's worth it, for the original content especially. They don't do as much as Netflix but I think the quality is higher, or at least as good as the best of Netflix's originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

I had it free for a year with Eir and didn't think I'd sign up once I had to start paying but I think now it's worth it, for the original content especially. They don't do as much as Netflix but I think the quality is higher, or at least as good as the best of Netflix's originals.

not so sure on the quality. was watching a bbc program a few months back where they said that amazon, unllike netflix, does not monitor everything uploaded onto its prime video platform...they used a tommy robinson documentary as an example, where it had been banned by netflix but amazon allowed it. apparently there are no controls on its content...which i've found as i've come across a few dodgy documentaries along the way

bb12 wrote: »
    not so sure on the quality. was watching a bbc program a few months back where they said that amazon, unllike netflix, does not monitor everything uploaded onto its prime video platform...they used a tommy robinson documentary as an example, where it had been banned by netflix but amazon allowed it. apparently there are no controls on its content...which i've found as i've come across a few dodgy documentaries along the way

I'm talking about the quality of their original programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've always seen prime video as a bit a free add on to the original Amazon Prime UK delivery benefits so I never really question it's value on its own.

I think there's enough there to warrant the subscription fee, mostly via original content and exclusive movies.

I finally finished Undone which I found a little plodding in the middle. Flew through the final few episodes though and really enjoyed it as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Widows has been added recently, excellent cast and terrific film if anyone hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

gmisk wrote: »
    Widows has been added recently, excellent cast and terrific film if anyone hasn't seen it.

It's showing as not available in my location.

I know there was a few changes brought in since the 01/01/21 but nearly every movie I click into, I'm met with the same message.

This happens even when I click the Free to me tab, I'll have to get onto them and see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's showing as not available in my location.

I know there was a few changes brought in since the 01/01/21 but nearly every movie I click into, I'm met with the same message.

This happens even when I click the Free to me tab, I'll have to get onto them and see what the issue is.

I think you have to sign in to prime video and change your region to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think you have to sign in to prime video and change your region to Ireland.

Yeah I changed my preference to Ireland and changed my primary address back from the address pal to my home. I'll check it out again tomorrow to see if I missed something.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah I changed my preference to Ireland and changed my primary address back from the address pal to my home. I'll check it out again tomorrow to see if I missed something.

They were discussing this in the other Amazon thread a few days ago, might be something in there that will get you sorted.... https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057771671/164

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Watching the man in the high castle.
    Fairly decent so far.
    Just wondering does this go off a cliff?

Just re-posting this one as the results of the Senate runoff in Georgia are coming in. Very relevant to those results, and the entire election outcome from last November.

All In: The Fight For Democracy - a documentary examining the history of voter suppression in the US.

I'm not sure exactly when this landed on Prime but it's a very recent production and has footage including people voting with masks on. It flips between giving a pretty in depth but still very accessible history of voting rights and the subsequent suppression of those rights across the US, while also telling the story of Stacey Abrams campaign to become governor of Georgia in 2018. Obviously this was made to be viewed by Americans before the election but it's particularly interesting watching it post election and results. There's mentions of several of the states that ended up flipping blue, or nearly flipping. There's even a specific mention of one of the Arizona counties that has been on the news all week. Everything Trump has done and said since the polls closed are pretty much forecast, and there were several sort of "light bulb moments" where dots were joining up in my brain with things we've been seeing this week.

I really recommend watching it. I've been aware of voter suppression on a very basic scale for a long time but this really fills in a lot of the blanks and explains the different methods that have been employed over the years and how the Republican Party has always been the driving force behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Thanks to whoever recommended The Missing, really "enjoyed" it? Probably wrong word given the content but I was really taken in by the acting all round.

Can't believe I never noticed Tcheky Karyo before. I've never quite seen someone bring such a basic humanity to a role like that before. He comes across as a real person and that's harder to do than one might think on screen.

Thanks to whoever recommended The Missing, really "enjoyed" it? Probably wrong word given the content but I was really taken in by the acting all round.

Can't believe I never noticed Tcheky Karyo before. I've never quite seen someone bring such a basic humanity to a role like that before. He comes across as a real person and that's harder to do than one might think on screen.

I tried watching that a while back on Amazon but it was missing subtitles throughout. I was halfway through the pilot when I realised that yes, there were supposed to be subtitles during the foreign language parts! Did Amazon eventually sort that out?

• Advertisement

I tried watching that a while back on Amazon but it was missing subtitles throughout. I was halfway through the pilot when I realised that yes, there were supposed to be subtitles during the foreign language parts! Did Amazon eventually sort that out?

It was a weird one.

At first I didn't mind not having subtitles because it added to my frustration for the family, but then I ended up genuinely annoyed!

I couldn't see English on subtitles but finally took a stab and toggled Dansk for subtitles....that gave me subtitles in English for the French and German dialogue.

It was a weird one.

At first I didn't mind not having subtitles because it added to my frustration for the family, but then I ended up genuinely annoyed!

I couldn't see English on subtitles but finally took a stab and toggled Dansk for subtitles....that gave me subtitles in English for the French and German dialogue.

Thanks for that, might go back and give that a go.
    Like yourself, I thought we were supposed to be in the dark like the family when the French were talking near them, but then there were scenes with just French people talking French to each other and I knew that something was up!

I'll say it again, Amazon's subtitle game is appalling!

Is it S1 or S2 of The Missing you're taking about? I remember watching S2 when it aired on BBC and being really annoyed when the truth was all revealed because I had a much more twisty and surprising but still logically sound explanation for it all worked out.

Is it S1 or S2 of The Missing you're taking about? I remember watching S2 when it aired on BBC and being really annoyed when the truth was all revealed because I had a much more twisty and surprising but still logically sound explanation for it all worked out.

Season 1 annoyed me at the end anyway.
    The mayor's conversations with various people really began to grate on me towards the end as he took on more importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Been watching The Boys, a TV show based on a comic book series (written by Northern Irishman Garth Ennis!). Not your traditional comic book fare — it’s a subversion of the genre, where superheroes are puppets of corporations using them to sell movies and win defence contracts. Lots of violence, swearing and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Watched The Vast of Night earlier.

I think I saw it mentioned here a few times. It's set in the 1950s and it's basically a local radio DJ and a girl who works nights on the telephone switchboard trying to figure out what's making the weird noise she heard on one of the phone lines. It's framed like it's an episode of something like The Twilight Zone, and it's got a very particular style to it, which adds to the atmosphere, I think. It's undoubtedly not going to be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. I've had a difficult time concentrating on anything this year, with all that's going on, but this captivated me for the full run time.

Thanks for the recommendation. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Salmon fishing In Yemen

I'd heard of this before but never watched it. Gave it a go last night and I really liked it. Its the kind of film that'd be cannon fodder for critical analysis, I mean the premise is ridiculous, but thanks to Ewan Mc Gregor and the lovely Emily Blunt, the whole thing works in a Local hero-esque kind of way. It has an innocent charm about it and you could do worse in terms of family entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

santana75 wrote: »
    Salmon fishing In Yemen

I'd heard of this before but never watched it. Gave it a go last night and I really liked it. Its the kind of film that'd be cannon fodder for critical analysis, I mean the premise is ridiculous, but thanks to Ewan Mc Gregor and the lovely Emily Blunt, the whole thing works in a Local hero-esque kind of way. It has an innocent charm about it and you could do worse in terms of family entertainment.

I really enjoyed this film. It's just a nice easy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If anyone is stuck for something to watch and fancies something a bit fun and silly - bobs burgers is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've one episode of Preacher left.
    It's absolutely bananas but I've enjoyed the mental twists and turns.
    It helped me fill the ridiculous comic book violence shaped hole The Boys had left in my viewing schedule.
    Cassidy is my favorite of the three.

Though it took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that
    Jesus and Humperdoo are the same actor:o.He's the lead singer from The All American Rejects

Jexi with Adam Devine isn't terrible either.Its about a chap who gets a new AI on his phone and she tries to make his life better but it doesn't go to plan when she gets overly attached. It's easy to watch and grand as a disengage your brain film. It's easily forgettable though.

Advertisement