Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Its going the wrong way at the moment but who knows where its going

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Hi.

Would be grateful for clarification to get me through the haze of VAT, Import declarations etc....

If I want to buy a 31 year old vehicle registered on NI plates but I think could have been stored in ROI what will I have to pay above the price and VRT. Will I have VRT liabilities? Do I pay VAT or import duties.

Thanks for reading. Any advice welcome?

Oh and car originally from UK into NI - all pre 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emmetb786

Does anyone have any idea how this will affect me importing a vintage car? Online in the FAQ, it states that clearing a vintage car (over 30 years old) is 200 euro. I feel as if there is probably some hidden cost that I’m missing and I don’t want to get an unwanted surprise when I go to clear it. Would anyone know if this would affect me importing a 1987 e30 bmw 325i sport ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to gauge the total cost of the purchase before I make it. Thanks in advance !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Emmetb786 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how this will affect me importing a vintage car? Online in the FAQ, it states that clearing a vintage car (over 30 years old) is 200 euro. I feel as if there is probably some hidden cost that I’m missing and I don’t want to get an unwanted surprise when I go to clear it. Would anyone know if this would affect me importing a 1987 e30 bmw 325i sport ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to gauge the total cost of the purchase before I make it. Thanks in advance !

I don't have an answer but am likely doing the same shortly for a 30 year old Merc 300CE C124. I'd appreciate you sharing how you get on and good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

If it’s from the UK you’ll have to pay 21% vat on the value of the car, this is collected at the port of entry.
    Once that’s paid the car will be released and you’ll have 30 days to get a vrt inspection done, then pay your €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

VRT will still be €200 . Whether VAT is charged or not depends on where the car us being imported from.

Online in the FAQ, it states that clearing a vintage car (over 30 years old) is 200 euro.

VRT is €200. VAT and duty if applicable are separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Neilw wrote: »
    If it’s from the UK you’ll have to pay 21% vat on the value of the car, this is collected at the port of entry.
    Once that’s paid the car will be released and you’ll have 30 days to get a vrt inspection done, then pay your €200.

It's not paid at the Port, you complete an electronic declaration in advance of import and it's collected with the VRT. You can't VRT without the declaration. Thus it covers the VAT on NI imports too.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

looks like the nct cert of equivalence is a thing of the past. I presented car on December 10 after waiting a month for the date. Didn't get my figure of 200 until Thursday. Signs up at nct saying that they no longer accept the mot.
    Bit unfair in my case when I should have had it all done in december. Such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ccmp wrote: »
    Signs up at nct saying that they no longer accept the mot.
    Bit unfair in my case when I should have had it all done in december. Such is life.

It's not unfair. Only road worthiness certificates from other EU countries can be accepted. The UK is not in the EU. It might as well be Zimbabwe, Vietnam or Bolivia...

But I guess if they had been a bit quicker processing your car, you would have got the NCT cert. That's a bit unfair alright. That said, the Irish test is better and it only costs €54. Not bad for a complete check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Tomal wrote: »
    Hi.

Would be grateful for clarification to get me through the haze of VAT, Import declarations etc....

If I want to buy a 31 year old vehicle registered on NI plates but I think could have been stored in ROI what will I have to pay above the price and VRT. Will I have VRT liabilities? Do I pay VAT or import duties.

Thanks for reading. Any advice welcome?

If the car is currently registered in NI then you only pay VRT when importing to the Republic. There are no restrictions on trade between North and South.
    You may have to pay extra VRT for not registering it within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

hi5 wrote: »
    If the car is currently registered in NI then you only pay VRT when importing to the Republic. There are no restrictions on trade between North and South.
    You may have to pay extra VRT for not registering it within 30 days.

OK thats my understanding as well, hopefully no hidden surprises. The car I am looking to purchase has just turned 30 and is currently located in northern Ireland, but was imported from England last July. As buying from a private seller, I assume a hand written invoice will do, as proof. It is over 10 years since I last vrt'd a car and it seems to have gotten alot more complicated.

OK thats my understanding as well, hopefully no hidden surprises. The car I am looking to purchase has just turned 30 and is currently located in northern Ireland, but was imported from England last July. As buying from a private seller, I assume a hand written invoice will do, as proof. It is over 10 years since I last vrt'd a car and it seems to have gotten alot more complicated.

The Revenue site warns that you will need to have a papertrail proving the car was "properly" imported into the North otherwise VAT will be charged. I assume that means a handwritten invoice will not be enough

Isambard wrote: »
    The Revenue site warns that you will need to have a papertrail proving the car was "properly" imported into the North otherwise VAT will be charged. I assume that means a handwritten invoice will not be enough

OK, so the seller from Northern Ireland who purchased the car from a private seller in England in July 2020, will need to have an invoice aswell. The car was imported into Northern Ireland before brexit.

I have a feeling that the days of a hand written receipt might be numbered!

w124man wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the days of a hand written receipt might be numbered!

If that is the case, the days of purchasing a second hand from Northern Ireland are finished too. I will drop revenue an email and hopefully get some confirmation, I will report back if I get a response. One thing is for sure the governments vrt take from second hand cars is will fall through the floor this year.You would like to think that they would have an interest in maintaining this tax take. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Isambard wrote: »
    It's not paid at the Port, you complete an electronic declaration in advance of import and it's collected with the VRT. You can't VRT without the declaration. Thus it covers the VAT on NI imports too.

VAT is not collected with VRT. You have to pay Revenue directly.

Does anyone know anyone who's been through it yet, with anything?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

OK, so the seller from Northern Ireland who purchased the car from a private seller in England in July 2020, will need to have an invoice aswell. The car was imported into Northern Ireland before brexit.

If the v5 shows change of ownership to an NI address on or before 31 dec 2020 I cant there being an issue with revenue.

One thing is for sure the governments vrt take from second hand cars is will fall through the floor this year.You would like to think that they would have an interest in maintaining this tax take.

You say that as if its the Governments fault that all this has to be done. The fault lies with the UK and their leaving the EU. If you brought a car in from Japan, Australia etc, the same rules apply so why is it the Governments fault that we have to pay all this extra crap on UK cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

One thing is for sure the governments vrt take from second hand cars is will fall through the floor this year.You would like to think that they would have an interest in maintaining this tax take. Thanks for the feedback.

If the Government don't get the VRT on second-hand cars, they will get it on new ones. Without new cars, there can't be second-hand ones, unless imported. Interesting to see what the Audi/Merc/BMW Brigade will purchase if they can't buy 'cheap' imports?

w124man wrote: »
    You say that as if its the Governments fault that all this has to be done. The fault lies with the UK and their leaving the EU. If you brought a car in from Japan, Australia etc, the same rules apply so why is it the Governments fault that we have to pay all this extra crap on UK cars?

I understand that vat/levy are not the governments fault. At the minute everything seems a bit vague from revenue, some saying you need a T2l form, other not. No doubt we will learn more in time. My thoughts are UK cars will always be a sizeable portion of the second hand stock in this country, the vast majority of people cannot afford a new car and second hand cars have to come from somewhere.

Tae laidir wrote: »
    If the Government don't get the VRT on second-hand cars, they will get it on new ones. Without new cars, there can't be second-hand ones, unless imported. Interesting to see what the Audi/Merc/BMW Brigade will purchase if they can't buy 'cheap' imports?

A 10k stg car will have 2k VAT added on. In my opinion the price of second hand and classic cars in Ireland will increase because of this and the imports will continue as before after market prices have adjusted. In fairness adding 1k to a 5 k classic isnt a deal breaker if you want the car and cant get the one you want here. Most dealers here sell ex UK cars, prices will increase and as theres nothing cheaper on the market that becomes the new market value. That the same car costs up to 60% less on a UK forecourt to an Irish forecourt wont matter.

Car99 wrote: »
    A 10k stg car will have 2k VAT added on. In my opinion the price of second hand and classic cars in Ireland will increase because of this and the imports will continue as before after market prices have adjusted. In fairness adding 1k to a 5 k classic isnt a deal breaker if you want the car and cant get the one you want here. Most dealers here sell ex UK cars, prices will increase and as theres nothing cheaper on the market that becomes the new market value. That the same car costs up to 60% less on a UK forecourt to an Irish forecourt wont matter.

the VAT won't apply to NI cars but there's little chance of a bargain being got because the prices will rise anyway there , dealer's won't be selling below the maximum they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Car99 wrote: »

True, all used cars will go up in price.

I think classics will go up by a bigger %. Previously, purchase price was not a factor, due to the flat VRT rate.

Now however there is 21% (soon to be 23%) on the purchase invoice and the shipping.

This is not a big deal on, say, £5k cars. However all those high value classic imports are going to be hurt a lot more. Remember Gerry McManus Ferrari 250GT.... ?....23% of that would hurt A Lot.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

I think classics will go up by a bigger %. Previously, purchase price was not a factor, due to the flat VRT rate.

Now however there is 21% (soon to be 23%) on the purchase invoice and the shipping.

This is not a big deal on, say, £5k cars. However all those high value classic imports are going to be hurt a lot more. Remember JP McManus Ferrari 250GT.... ?....23% of that would hurt A Lot.

I agree, Fairly big deal on a 5 grand car really compared to €200! 5000 becomes 6500 over night. I gave up importing them some time back

Thanks for information on this very confusing situation. The problem is the seller in NI may not have any paperwork so therefore VAT will need to be paid I suppose. Will classics that have had restorations or are repaired Cat cars have any Vat increases or reductions.

Is it better to hold off on purchasing for a few months until all this is ironed out.

Do agree that this is playing into the roll out of electric, Hybrid vehicles as will reduce the amount of diesels coming in. Was listening to radio and they covered some of this explaining if you buy a German marque from UK you pay import duty but not if you buy a UK marque. Does that mean we will all be driving Jags! Its all messed up really.Correct me if wrong on this but thats what I gleaned from it.

galwaytt wrote: »

This is not a big deal on, say, £5k cars. However all those high value classic imports are going to be hurt a lot more. Remember JP McManus Ferrari 250GT.... ?....23% of that would hurt A Lot.

That is his brother Gerry McManus who owns the 843 UYO 250 GT SWB California Spider that cost $28million. If he had to pay VRT+ vat on his collection which includes F40, F50 enzo, laFerrari , Bugatti veyrons, ford GT40, rare astons and many many many more Revenue would have a good payday.Those boys are immune to Brexit and vrt as they can ship cars around the world at their leisure. His collection is stunning .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

If that is the case, the days of purchasing a second hand from Northern Ireland are finished too. I will drop revenue an email and hopefully get some confirmation, I will report back if I get a response. One thing is for sure the governments vrt take from second hand cars is will fall through the floor this year.You would like to think that they would have an interest in maintaining this tax take. Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct there. Let's see how quickly they change the rules to benefit themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Tomal wrote: »
    Thanks for information on this very confusing situation. The problem is the seller in NI may not have any paperwork so therefore VAT will need to be paid I suppose. Will classics that have had restorations or are repaired Cat cars have any Vat increases or reductions.

Is it better to hold off on purchasing for a few months until all this is ironed out.

Do agree that this is playing into the roll out of electric, Hybrid vehicles as will reduce the amount of diesels coming in. Was listening to radio and they covered some of this explaining if you buy a German marque from UK you pay import duty but not if you buy a UK marque. Does that mean we will all be driving Jags! Its all messed up really.Correct me if wrong on this but thats what I gleaned from it.

What's about Nissans? They are made in england

Advertisement