Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

• 10-01-2021 4:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Tina Satchwell thread in After Hours was closed last night and after some discussion it was decided to start a new one in CA as this is a more appropriate place for it. The case has been back in the news lately due to the discovery of currently unidentified skeletal remains found on the old Youghal-Middleton railway last Tuesday.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dna-dental-records-key-to-identifying-skeletal-remains-39951601.html

This thread can discuss this and other developments / updates however based on how the After Hours thread ended up let's be sensible about this

1) No speculation. Tina Satchwell is a missing person, that is all we know at this time.

2) No accusations. The AH thread made a number of accusations and strong insinuations - this is not acceptable and baseless accusations will lead to a threadban.

3) No memes, jokes or crude remarks, this is not the place for it. It is uncalled for and people close to her could read this thread.

4) The Fred Flannery case (murder/disappearance of 3 men in the same area during the 90s) has no relevance to this whatsoever yet the AH thread was derailed by an extremely long tangent about this so leave it out.

Threadbans
    the.red.baron
    Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

Can we also add no discussion on the accuracy of lie detector tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Early indications are that the remains found in Cork recently are not those of Tina. So pointless speculating re same unless some different information comes to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Happy4all wrote: »
    Early indications are that the remains found in Cork recently are not those of Tina. So pointless speculating re same unless some different information comes to light.

Do you have a link for that? The Sunday World says they're comparing the DNA of the dead person with the DNA of Tina Satchwell and others.

I do agree that speculation is useless, though.

RIP to that person and I hope someone's family will soon get a small measure of comfort from the knowledge that they've been found.

twill wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that? The Sunday World says they're comparing the DNA of the dead person with the DNA of Tina Satchwell and others.

I do agree that speculation is useless, though.

RIP to that person and I hope someone's family will soon get a small measure of comfort from the knowledge that they've been found.

The same paper has another article stating it's unlikely, i.e. older persons and more than 5 years Insitu. But the other headline story will sell more print.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

'The area was immediately sealed off and an exhaustive examination of the site by gardaí yielded further bones, some of which displayed signs of animal activity'

What does signs of animal activity mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Charlie19 wrote: »
    'The area was immediately sealed off and an exhaustive examination of the site by gardaí yielded further bones, some of which displayed signs of animal activity'

Animals eating the remains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Charlie19 wrote: »

I think usually animal teeth marks in the bones.....the bones scattered further than the initial site as in the animal dragged the remains. That type of thing.

The same paper has another article stating it's unlikely, i.e. older persons and more than 5 years Insitu. But the other headline story will sell more print.

Which article came first? Has the story evolved with new information?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt very much that this poor unfortunate deceased is Tina Satchwell. But we shall see.

hurikane wrote: »
    Which article came first? Has the story evolved with new information?

The one saying unlikely is a later one. The early one would have been in the print paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

If it was the remains of Tina I would imagine that forensics would have known by now and the area would have been sealed off. . .It is likley some other poor soul. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    If it was the remains of Tina I would imagine that forensics would have known by now and the area would have been sealed off. . .It is likley some other poor soul. RIP.

It is sealed off!!! Nope the ID of skeletal remains always takes longer,plus the cops know more than whats in media

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Bussywussy wrote: »
    It is sealed off!!! Nope the ID of skeletal remains always takes longer,plus the cops know more than whats in media

Perhaps. I just think it would have been kept quiet if it was recent but we shall soon see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Whoever it is, may they rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Whoever it is, may they rest in peace.

And at least a family somewhere will get some closure.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

The one saying unlikely is a later one. The early one would have been in the print paper

I don’t see it, have you got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

While the skull has been confirmed as that of an adult woman, tests are ongoing to determine that the other bones recovered are those of the same individual.

However, one source indicated all the preliminary signs point towards the woman involved being aged somewhere between 55 and 85 years.

Fragments of disintegrated clothing found at the scene are also consistent with belonging to a much older woman.

The highest profile missing person in Cork is Tina Satchwell from Youghal who was 45 when she vanished without trace on March 20, 2017.

Major searches off both the east Cork coast and in a Castlemartyr woodland failed to reveal any clue of her whereabouts. Her husband, Richard, has maintained she is alive and has pleaded with her to return home.

Gardaí said they are satisfied Tina never left Ireland.

However, preliminary indications are that the remains found in Midleton are those of a much older woman and that they have likely been in situ for longer than five years.

However, detectives believe the bones are more recent, possibly dating to between the last five and 25 years. The bones have now been removed to Cork University Hospital (CUH) for examination by assistant state pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster and a forensic anthropologist.

The skull was examined in detail at CUH on Friday with special focus on the remaining teeth for dental records.

There was no sign of trauma or violence to the skull.

A full list of missing persons from the greater east Cork area over the past 50 years is being compiled.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/dna-dental-records-key-to-identifying-skeletal-remains-39951601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

This report says the deceased was wearing nightclothes so it is probably someone local to the area. Richard was informed of the find by Gardai last Thursday.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6396118/husband-tina-satchwell-gardai-body-found-cork/

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This report says the deceased was wearing nightclothes so it is probably someone local to the area. Richard was informed of the find by Gardai last Thursday.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6396118/husband-tina-satchwell-gardai-body-found-cork/

The story gets stranger and stranger tbh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

gozunda wrote: »
    The story gets stranger and stranger tbh :confused:

Their being in nightclothes could possibly mean it was an older person with dementia who wandered off and died of exposure. It seems odd that Gardaí don't seem to be immediately aware of anyone who fits the profile, though.

• Advertisement

Their being in nightclothes could possibly mean it was an older person with dementia who wandered off and died of exposure. It seems odd that Gardaí don't seem to be immediately aware of anyone who fits the profile, though.
    If there had been a case of an elderly woman disappearing and never found I'd say we would have heard about it. It would have been headline news for weeks. Unless it's a case from many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

That was my thought too, but then how would she have got buried.

I appreciate over time vegetation will take over, but surely there would have been a missing person search before nature had time to cover her?

It's very odd.

inthehat wrote: »
    If there had been a case of an elderly woman disappearing and never found I'd say we would have heard about it. It would have been headline news for weeks. Unless it's a case from many years ago.

I reckon it rules out any one walking any distance to the bridge (adjacent to where the remains were found) and jumping off for example. Anyone wandering around in nightclothes would have been noticed I'd imagine. I guess the autopsy should tell more. Do they release such information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

inthehat wrote: »

not necessarily I would say. If the person lived in a nursing home, had dementia and was already known for wandering off, didn't had any relatives, I doubt it would have been the big headline for weeks. Surely it would have been mentioned in the papers but big headlines? Not sure.

And if she wandered off at nighttime/evening in darkness, it's possible nobody noticed her. I don't know the area though, how remote it is or if there's any village/town close by.

I hope they can identify her and if there is some family/friends they can finally find peace that she's found and what was going on with her.

tara73 wrote: »
    not necessarily I would say. If the person lived in a nursing home, had dementia and was already known for wandering off, didn't had any relatives, I doubt it would have been the big headline for weeks. Surely it would have been mentioned in the papers but big headlines? Not sure.

And if she wandered off at nighttime/evening in darkness, it's possible nobody noticed her. I don't know the area though, how remote it is or if there's any village/town close by.

I hope they can identify her and if there is some family/friends they can finally find peace that she's found and what was going on with her.

The Garda missing persons database doesn't through up any matching older person for the Cork region anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gozunda wrote: »
    The Garda missing persons database doesn't through up any matching older person for the Cork region anyway.

I’m puzzled a bit by all this. Nightwear wouldn’t “necessarily” indicate someone’s age.
    Surely there must be a fairly obvious local missing person other than Tina Satchwell that would match up fairly quickly with these circumstances? Not convinced from what I’ve heard so far it isn’t her but we will await the forensic outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭julyjane

May not necessarily be local. I have a relative who works in a particular job and jokes about coming across so many places where "if someone had dumped a body it might never be found" - someone who knew the area could have driven 100 miles to dump the body. Anyway I hope she's identified soon.

Does anyone remember the case of Conor and Sheil@Dwyer? That is still a big mystery and not a million miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

julyjane wrote: »
    May not necessarily be local. I have a relative who works in a particular job and jokes about coming across so many places where "if someone had dumped a body it might never be found" - someone who knew the area could have driven 100 miles to dump the body. Anyway I hope she's identified soon.

Does anyone remember the case of Conor and Sheil@Dwyer? That is still a big mystery and not a million miles away

Thats who i thought of straight away. They had a car so its not impossible.

I think that was in 1991. From Fermoy - the couple (and their car) who disappeared without trace. Too long ago?

Update from the IT today
    Gardaí investigating the discovery of a skull in east Cork have sent DNA samples for analysis to match against samples held in the Garda missing persons’ database in a bid to identify the remains.

Gardaí are now satisfied, following an initial postmortem examination by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster, that the skull belonged to a woman who was not older than 65 when she died.

They believe from discussions with forensic anthropologist Dr Lorraine Buckley of the State Pathologist’s Office that the remains were at the scene where they were found near Midleton for between one to five years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Am I right in thinking that they never traced their car either?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement