Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x13 - 'That Hope Is You, Part 2' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

That was brutal.
    What logic is there to have so much empty space around the turbo shafts yet they still have cramped Jeffries tubes.

TOS Enterprise was something like 3 to 4 hundred metres long. Given what we have seen of the mind-boggling amount of empty space the federation must have Tardis technology that they have never mentioned before. Dont know who the writers are but they cannot be Star Trek fans.

As much as I disliked Simon Pegg bigging up his own role too much, you can clearly see he was a fan of Trek

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ha ha, I just remembered my favourite part, when they detach the nacelle and the spaceship skids... in space.
    I was just waiting to hear a shriek of tyres it was so bad!

Special mention to the new pyjamas they all seem to be wearing.

They detach the nacelle with a bomb, but seems to be in place in later shots?! :confused:

The physics of an effective hand brake turn at multiples the speed of light and the crew get thrown a few feet... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Acosta

In terms of spoilers it didn't really help that Netflix have a still shot of Adira, Stamets and the doctor just after you click to play the episode. Then again I wasn't expecting any mad twists.

I remember when JJ Abrams was being interviewed before his first Star Trek movie come out. He was speaking about always liking Star Trek, but there was often a lack of good action sequences, which I thought was a fair point.
    Now 10 years on, good action sequences is really all we're left with.

Hopefully we'll get a funny Redlettermedia review to make watching all that ****e worthwhile.

Oh and the burn. What a stinking pile of **** of any idea that was!

GSPfan wrote: »
    What happened to the melody storyline? I’m assuming it was a lullaby that kid knew and some bollox about dilitium sub space transmitted it to everyone subconsciously but did they actually reference it before the end of the season?

To quote Forrest Gump directly from a deleted scene. Bollix is as Bollix does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

breezy1985 wrote: »
    To begin with what's a masculine male ?

And rant on all you want I don't think anyone is gonna believe you don't have an agenda here

How about you tell us what a masculine female is?
    Googling the term, the very first image is this
    https://miro.medium.com/max/409/1*jyY7lGM06pRobLq-EdxN-g.jpeg

If I had an agenda, it was was achieved when I gave MY opinion on DT Disco. Then a couple of people tried to twist my comment into something it was not. Don't have a melt down, it's just my opinion. You can have yours too.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Acosta wrote: »
    In terms of spoilers it didn't really help that Netflix have a still shot of Adira, Stamets and the doctor just after you click to play the episode. Then again I wasn't expecting any mad twists.

I remember when JJ Abrams was being interviewed before his first Star Trek movie come out. He was speaking about always liking Star Trek, but there was often a lack of good action sequences, which I thought was a fair point.
    Now 10 years on, good action sequences is really all we're left with.

Hopefully we'll get a funny Redlettermedia review to make watching all that ****e worthwhile.

Oh and the burn. What a stinking pile of **** of any idea that was!

Thought the action in this was poor. At HQ was poor, the vulcans coming in was poor, was all poor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

So many people on Trek sites who rate every episode as a 10/10 talking about how cool that was.

It sounds rubbish

What's worse is that it wasn't even just an off the cuff kind of thing. They actually spent part of the season setting it up, and that was the best they could come up with?!

I am (was?) generally a fan of discovery. I don't get the people who slate every episode and yet continue watching for some reason. I liked the first 2 seasons and even a lot of this one, but that was one of the worst episodes of Star Trek I've ever seen. Its like they got someone like Michael Bay in, and just gave him a one paragraph synopsis of the storyline and said "Have at it".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Silly writing. Silly silly blocking.

- Book, go use the spore drive. Yay, we are saved.
    - The ship is hollow and 3 kilometers long/wide
    - Didn't we reveal Su'kal was the cause of the Burn about 9 times?
    - They are making a Star Trek show without any thought for what a Trek fan would want. Ni'var ships arrive? Here are some grainy, long-distance copy and paste jobs. USS Voyager ready to go? Barely show it.
    - Did I mention the hollow ship?
    - Stamets has turned into a whiny little b!tch.
    - Fcuking pesticide bombs. Pesticide? Really? Best you could write?
    - Technology makes no sense. "let's beam the enemy off the ship" - erm they can just beam back on immediately.
    - The whole premise is that everyone is far away from each other due to the Burn but Vulcans could be there with a FLEET in what seems like 6 hours? Come on.
    - The data core and the Oryssa fight. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finally got to watch it! There was a lot going on in the episode. Looks like no going back or rewriting what's happened. Towards the end on the dilithium planet, it almost looked like all they needed to do was send down Culber and he coulda sorted it. I liked the story of the mother setting it all up and her closing moments in the recording.

For where it's going next season.. it almost feels like a retour of ToS might be on the cards. I imagine Starfleet are going to emerge as a way bigger power in the quadrant/galaxy if they are the only ones with large amounts of dilithiumand the spore tech. Bookers people might be in a similar position with the spore drives.

Like the Roddenberry quote and ToS theme playing at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

touts wrote: »
    After two good seasons.

The first one was watchable the other two were dreadful. Even if they do go back to Pike and Spock kurtzmann will still be in charges so very little will change in terms of quality story telling. Spock has also been disembowelled by std and it could be difficult to get away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Slydice wrote: »
    There was a lot going on in the episode.

And none of it any good.

The best we can hope for is Riker waking up in season 4 from an awful nightmare he later calls Disco. Picard hasn't really been Skywalkered and Seven prefers sausage for breakfast.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Silly writing. Silly silly blocking.

- Book, go use the spore drive. Yay, we are saved.
    - The ship is hollow and 3 kilometers long/wide
    - Didn't we reveal Su'kal was the cause of the Burn about 9 times?
    - They are making a Star Trek show without any thought for what a Trek fan would want. Ni'var ships arrive? Here are some grainy, long-distance copy and paste jobs. USS Voyager ready to go? Barely show it.
    - Did I mention the hollow ship?
    - Stamets has turned into a whiny little b!tch.
    - Fcuking pesticide bombs. Pesticide? Really? Best you could write?
    - Technology makes no sense. "let's beam the enemy off the ship" - erm they can just beam back on immediately.
    - The whole premise is that everyone is far away from each other due to the Burn but Vulcans could be there with a FLEET in what seems like 6 hours? Come on.
    - The data core and the Oryssa fight. Jesus.
    You forgot the view screen/control panel that can swallow people whole!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The best we can hope for is Riker waking up in season 4 from an awful nightmare he later calls Disco. Picard hasn't really been Skywalkered and Seven prefers sausage for breakfast.

Why is the Seven thing a problem ?

You forgot the view screen/control panel that can swallow people whole!

And the warp core that fall 20 decks down a fun slide hoping off the wall on the way down.

You wouldnt want to be in a hurry to get that core out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭pah

Because it wasn't earned. Like almost everything in these new trek shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

seamus wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode overall, more than most others this season. I'm even willing to accept the magic science to explain the burn, and that explains why Booker can fly the spore drive.

Not happy about Burnham as Captain, doesn't bode well for next season. Also the dead boyfriend manifesting as a holo. Come on ta fvck. More than happy to accept his existence as something Adira could see. Seeing visions of past hosts is well established as something that happens with Trill. But him magically appearing as a sentient separate holo, just turns it into a joke.

Agree, however, I like that she could make it as captain (eventually) but this was very very rushed. The dead boyfriend is very fairy tale storytelling and makes no sense at all.

What is going on with those turbo lifts. It looks like they are massive. I thought they were back at Starfleet HQ for a moment, why is it so big in there. It's bigger than the ship...

I thought it was watchable, but I was on the sauce at the time.

pah wrote: »
    Because it wasn't earned. Like almost everything in these new trek shows.

What nonsense. She wants to ride another woman so what. We don't need half a season of coming out episodes to point out a character who we haven't seen in 10 years is bi now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭squonk

Thinking about it more today, Osiris’ armistice was handled like the writers were preschoolers. I believe that she wanted an armistice and I think giving admiral Vance 15 minutes to have a look over it and see what he thought was total rubbish. It really just seems like something that was thrown in just to give her an excuse to be there. Maybe I’m wrong but I do think she was genuine and I almost want to cry when I think about the double episode TNG would’ve gotten out of just that particular point alone.

I thought the whole thing raised interesting ethical questions because of the type of person she was. Forget all of the other bull crap, as far as I’m concerned that was Trek right there. I thought the double episode in The mirror universe was a lot of crap and I would rather have seen even an episode devoted to that particular ethical point.

Instead we got lots of round house kick’s, phaser fire, turbo lifts that are pure fantasy And nothing actually of substance to show for it all. The very suggestion that the chain disintegrated because Osyras was killed is laughable. You can be damn sure that if she was building up political capital for an armistice there had to be others in league with her who her equally interested in the same thing. I actually think it made little of the Federation. I’m so tired of this rubbish. It made it look like the other races were joining the Federation to get in on the dilithium party and honestly we know that’s not really what the federation are like.

I really haven’t been this pissed off about Trek since Into Darkness. I’m sorry there’s a fourth season being made. They really should’ve left it where it was.

Considering your earlier post directed at me, I am not at all surprised that you see no problem with "the Seven thing".

I don't think a persons sexuality is a "thing". It is a major part of their personality and forms (at least in part) their world view. Seven was an extremely well developed character in Voyager and she was not gay.

In Picard, her renegade ways were believable, but then to show her as gay in the closing moments with a woman she had practically no bond with was not just lazy, it was character assassination and spat in the face of everything that went before it. Not to mention the other woman showed no previous gay attributes.

It was well known that Seven was seen not only as a strong, respected female character in Voyager. She was a sex symbol too. Making her a gay woman with no backstory as to why is in my opinion, a big FU to straight male fans.

I think this point needs hammering home, so that you get it. Imagine S3 of Disco was the final season. Now imagine in the closing few seconds we saw Culber in an a turbo lift playing a bit of tongue wrestling with Tilly....and it wasn't for CPR practice. Would that make any sense? There was no indication that Culber was hetero, or bi. There was no indication that there was any romantic interest between he and Tilly. Would it make sense for a final scene? I think you might now get why "the Seven thing" is a problem.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Seven sexuality doesn't get a mention until the very last episode of Voyager where she is in her own words "experimenting" with Chakotay so how exactly are you so sure she is not bi. And she can still be a sex symbol to straight men except of course the homophobic ones

Also how is being gay a " character assassination" honestly a disgusting comment

Seven sexuality doesn't get a mention until the very last episode of Voyager where she is in her own words "experimenting" with Chakotay so how exactly are you so sure she is not bi. And she can still be a sex symbol to straight men except of course the homophobic ones

Also how is being gay a " character assassination" honestly a disgusting comment

Well, I see you really took your time considering the points I raised. You obviously missed a fair bit of Voyager, or only remember what suits your narrative.

Changing her sexuality with no explanation is character assassination. Read my post. And maybe try answer what I asked you.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Slydice wrote: »
    I imagine Starfleet are going to emerge as a way bigger power in the quadrant/galaxy if they are the only ones with large amounts of dilithiumand the spore tech. Bookers people might be in a similar position with the spore drives.

See that would be interesting. Which is why it will never happen in this show. Or if it does there'll be a brief mention in one episode, then come flying in as the most important plot point in the last episode.

Easily the weakest season of Trek for me.Like I'll still watch it going on, 'cos it's Trek, but I have to say I wasn't looking forward to watching the past few episodes because it's readily apparent how capable the writers of this show are.

Well, I see you really took your time considering the points I raised. You obviously missed a fair bit of Voyager, or only remember what suits your narrative.

Changing her sexuality with no explanation is character assassination. Read my post. And maybe try answer what I asked you.

Tell me where was her sexuality confirmed in Voyager ?

As for Culber if he shifted Tilly I would think Wow he is cheating that's gonna cause problems down the line

Tell me where was her sexuality confirmed in Voyager ?

It didn't have to be confirmed that she wasn't gay, or bi-sexual. Very early on, she made a move on Harry Kim by demanding he remove his clothes for sex. Then she practiced dating with the doctor and went on a few dates. They were all men....just incase you don't remember. She had a sexual relationship with Chakotays holo representation and later went on to the real thing. an alternate timeline points to them being married. No steamy girl on girl suggestions at any stage.

https://loveinterest.fandom.com/wiki/Seven_of_Nine#:~:text=Seven%20begins%20a%20romantic%20relationship,the%20two%20finally%20began%20dating.
    As for Culber if he shifted Tilly I would think Wow he is cheating that's gonna cause problems down the line

That tells me all I need to know. You'll be happy as long as the boxes are ticked. No need to know where the ink came from. Thanks.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

So here’s a serious question....

Stamets is now serving on a ship with his family and he seemingly can’t carry out his duties without prioritising them over any reasonable course of action.

He also seems to be openly aggrieved with his new Captain.

They have found someone else who can pilot the ship.

Is Stamets now a big problem for Burnham?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭squonk

Stamets is now serving on a ship with his family and he seemingly can’t carry out his duties without prioritising them over any reasonable course of action.

Ordinarily you would think so but really I can see them resolving this in a single scene like before before with the whole argument over who was the most important person on the ship. I don’t trust these writers anymore to make sensible decisions

It didn't have to be confirmed that she wasn't gay, or bi-sexual. Very early on, she made a move on Harry Kim by demanding he remove his clothes for sex. Then she practiced dating with the doctor and went on a few dates. They were all men....just incase you don't remember. She had a sexual relationship with Chakotays holo representation and later went on to the real thing. an alternate timeline points to them being married. No steamy girl on girl suggestions at any stage.

https://loveinterest.fandom.com/wiki/Seven_of_Nine#:~:text=Seven%20begins%20a%20romantic%20relationship,the%20two%20finally%20began%20dating.

That tells me all I need to know. You'll be happy as long as the boxes are ticked. No need to know where the ink came from. Thanks.

There is an episode where Detmer is making out with a random man at a party. How come no one is crying about how that isn't earned

Maybe there were no bi or gay women 7 was attracted to on Voyager

I'm fairness to Stamets if Burnhams family were dying on a planet all the rules would have been broken to save them

• Advertisement

There is an episode where Detmer is making out with a random man at a party. How come no one is crying about how that isn't earned

Maybe there were no bi or gay women 7 was attracted to on Voyager

Perhaps because it's not unusual to see someone making out with a random stranger stranger of any gender at a party unless the gender is opposite to the understood and established preference of that person. Also i'm not aware that there was any establishment to Detmers sexual preferences, nor does it matte nearly as much, because she is a minor character with no backstory. But if it was established in any meaningful, or direct way that she was hetero, please do enlighten me.

If there were nobody of your sexual preference on a ship, would you think about having sex with the other gender?

Stay Free

Advertisement