Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ogham wrote:
    Hard to work out what's happening there 😕 Maybe it's to do with where the order is shipped from ??

It doesn't look correct. Vat at 21% had been added twice. No idea where the discount is coming from

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Caranica wrote: »
    I've a package ordered on 31 December, due 09 January. Cleared customs 03 January and no progress since so I'm definitely thinking they're holding off.

Ordered something last Saturday, cleared customs Monday afternoon. Had a delivery date of this Saturday but arrived Wednesday afternoon (Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've said it before but this whole mess shows how dependent we are on the UK for retail shopping and goods - hearing even Revenue has recognised this now with emergency "temporary" changes being put in to try and get the trucks moving at the ports again.

We in Ireland are a lot closer to the UK than the EU than some might like to admit - culturally, historically (and yes a lot of bad history there from both sides), and from even an online shopping perspective, I would bet that more Irish people buy things from the UK (including cars which is another mess now) than we do from the rest of Europe. I haven't been to the shops this week yet but I know that bill will be going up too (unless maybe you like the stuff in Aldi or Lidl which I don't).

Yes the UK brought this all on themselves, but this small issue (Amazon UK shopping) shows that the impacts of this will hit us a lot harder than probably most places in the EU. Once again our interests weren't properly represented at the table, but we should get used to that as well with the UK now out of the (dysfunctional) club.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

I ordered two items both under €22 with the less 20% vat, last Saturday and Sunday.
    Got an email this morning that they have combined the shipping for both items, to Mayo with An Post tracking.
    Has anyone received a combined delivery? What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I've said it before but this whole mess shows how dependent we are on the UK for retail shopping and goods - hearing even Revenue has recognised this now with emergency "temporary" changes being put in to try and get the trucks moving at the ports again.

We in Ireland are a lot closer to the UK than the EU than some might like to admit - culturally, historically (and yes a lot of bad history there from both sides), and from even an online shopping perspective, I would bet that more Irish people buy things from the UK (including cars which is another mess now) than we do from the rest of Europe. I haven't been to the shops this week yet but I know that bill will be going up too (unless maybe you like the stuff in Aldi or Lidl which I don't).

Yes the UK brought this all on themselves, but this small issue (Amazon UK shopping) shows that the impacts of this will hit us a lot harder than probably most places in the EU. Once again our interests weren't properly represented at the table, but we should get used to that as well with the UK now out of the (dysfunctional) club.

100% agree, I'm going to write my TD and ask the state to refund the import duty on the Philips Air Fryer I've had my eye on for a while. What do they want me to do, shop in DID (don't like, funny odour)?

• Advertisement

Prunty wrote: »
    100% agree, I'm going to write my TD and ask the state to refund the import duty on the Philips Air Fryer I've had my eye on for a while. What do they want me to do, shop in DID (don't like, funny odour)?

You're missing the point, but taking your example seriously.

The problem with shop local is generally a much reduced range of products significantly higher pricing, and especially in these Level 5 times - significantly higher postage and delivery times.

There's a reason why so many people buy on the likes of Amazon.

The problem with shop local is generally a much reduced range of products significantly higher pricing, and especially in these Level 5 times - significantly higher postage and delivery times.

I'm not going to go into the shop local vs support billionaire Jeff Bezos argument.

This is a thread for bargain alerts and deals, can you leave the politics out of it? I'm sure there is an Irexit thread somewhere if that's your bag.

Prunty wrote: »
    I'm not going to go into the shop local vs support billionaire Jeff Bezos argument.

This is a thread for bargain alerts and deals, can you leave the politics out of it? I'm sure there is an Irexit thread somewhere if that's your bag.

Ironically there's not actually many Bargains being posted at all on this subforum since this came in.

I don't buy into that local vs Bezos argument. Irish business needs to get more competitive if they want to survive in not only CV-19 times, but the world of online retail generally. If something is local and close enough in terms of pricing, I'll buy there.. but a lot of stuff just isn't stocked or - as above - significatly more expensive.

But yes, feel free to keep posting your bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

people buy off amazon cos its cheapish and easy,(order from your phone and do something else insted of having to go to a shop) the .de site is cheaper then .co.uk for most things, but for some reason everyone wants to use the .co.uk site.

Ironically there's not actually many Bargains being posted at all on this subforum since this came in.

I don't buy into that local vs Bezos argument. Irish business needs to get more competitive if they want to survive in not only CV-19 times, but the world of online retail generally. If something is local and close enough in terms of pricing, I'll buy there.. but a lot of stuff just isn't stocked or - as above - significatly more expensive.

But yes, feel free to keep posting your bargains.

Tricolour flag already discounted and further reduced when the vat is deducted at checkout. A steal at just under 5 pound with free Prime delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014GZRJSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3Hc-Fb2MV4G0Z

• Advertisement

kaahooters wrote: »
    people buy off amazon cos its cheapish and easy,(order from your phone and do something else insted of having to go to a shop) the .de site is cheaper then .co.uk for most things, but for some reason everyone wants to use the .co.uk site.

That's probably down to awareness. Again people here are used to buying from, and prefer IE/UK sites - language, familiar products, shipping is faster/cheaper etc

Most probably don't know you can buy from the .de/.fr etc - but then you have annoyances like wrong plugs, longer shipping times and so on to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 macshah

While in Ireland :-)

kaahooters wrote: »

No it isn't, not when you include delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Ireland should really have some bilateral agreement with the UK that deals with all this stuff we're so much more affected than the rest of the EU from Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

scottigael wrote: »
    Ireland should really have some bilateral agreement with the UK that deals with all this stuff we're so much more affected than the rest of the EU from Brexit.

We're in the EU, they're not.

There is no IRE-UK deal, only an EU-UK deal.

And really, in the grand scheme, is this really much of a bother? 2 or 3 weeks of shipping delays is nothing. Same thing will happen with Lunar New Year next month when China shuts down for 2 weeks, and in August when Germany shuts down for 2 weeks.

No one is going to starve or go without while these delays are getting sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

zell12 wrote: »
    Delivery date is what matters, you will be charged.

But I've ordered many items in the past through Amazon and although they originated in China, they seemed to come through Amazon.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we do - we have the common travel area, we can live/work/vote in the UK; special arrangement have been put in place for the North's trade with the EU. But we're also in the EU, there are limits to how much they can bend the rules to accommodate us. The Amazon problems are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things - most items are now the same price as they were before, a few things are more expensive; OK the overall choice has reduced but I'd expect that to improve over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

This might be a silly question but will most products over 22gbp coming from Amzozn not be due duty as they will most likely be produced in China/Asia?

awhir wrote: »
    This might be a silly question but will most products over 22gbp coming from Amzozn not be due to duty as they will most likely be produced in China/Asia?

VAT over €22, VAT and duty only over €150,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Prime will definitely be cancelled in the coming weeks, ordered a few items (under the £22 limit) last weekend and they've still to be dispatched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

RogerThis wrote: »
    I ordered two items both under €22 with the less 20% vat, last Saturday and Sunday.
    Got an email this morning that they have combined the shipping for both items, to Mayo with An Post tracking.
    Has anyone received a combined delivery? What happened?

Yes, I just received a box with three items, each under 22 this morning. Ordered at the weekend and Monday given as expected delivery. Delivered by Amazon themselves.

As I had expected, shipping together is not the same as ordering together ( I had separately ordered).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Yes, I just received a box with three items, each under 22 this morning. Ordered at the weekend and Monday given as expected delivery. Delivered by Amazon themselves.

As I had expected, shipping together is not the same as ordering together ( I had separately ordered).

Thanks, that's really interesting. I wonder will An Post have a problem with combined packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

RogerThis wrote: »
    Thanks, that's really interesting. I wonder will An Post have a problem with combined packages.

They will be too busy to be bothered looking at Amazon parcels. Amazon are probably one of very few UK retailers doing things properly. I guess that no or very few Amazon parcels will be looked at - or maybe 1 in a thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We legally can’t sign any bilateral trade deals

The same as ever other eu country

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭antomack

Notice that paying with my Visa card gives me priority delivery option that doesn't appear for paying by Mastercard.

Not that it seems to come any quicker as the estimated delivery date is the same for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Amazon is really ****ing us over in terms of VAT / import. Prime is now at least 2 weeks for delivery. According to their terms they apply the rate VAT of the destination country so if that is the case I think we are liable for import tax only if the value of the goods is

Prime for UK they can get same day delivery and they get more shows on Prime Video, we were minimum of 2 days and a lot of stuff we just don't have on Prime Video.

I don't think we can sign up for Prime from de or fr sites, maybe I am wrong?

Shemale wrote: »
    Amazon is really ****ing us over in terms of VAT / import. Prime is now at least 2 weeks for delivery. According to their terms they apply the rate VAT of the destination country so if that is the case I think we are liable for import tax only if the value of the goods is

Prime for UK they can get same day delivery and they get more shows on Prime Video, we were minimum of 2 days and a lot of stuff we just don't have on Prime Video.

I don't think we can sign up for Prime from de or fr sites, maybe I am wrong?

VAT of the destination country was always the case.

Delivery times are probably the whole Brexit mess, not just Amazon themselves. Sure Amazon.de is still less than a week delivery with no prime.

You can get a VPN if you want UK Prime/Netflix etc.

You can sign up for prime on .fr and .de, but no free delivery to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shemale wrote:

The price you pay at checkout now is almost identical to the price you paid before Brexit.
    Shemale wrote:

It's all down to the customs in the UK. I have around 8 different deliveries on the way from Amazon. One typical example was ordered last Sunday night and was dispatched arou 7 hours later. By 4pm Monday it had reached customs in the UK where it is still sitting

DPD have suspended deliveries from UK as a result of the customs mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

hbpnjlE.png

My guinea pig item from the OP (utility knife) still in motion, this is prime eligible... :( - but saw it's coming from seller 'Bilbury' so maybe it would be cleaner if sold directly from Amazon.

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    My guinea pig item from the OP (utility knife) still in motion, this is prime eligible... :( - but saw it's coming from seller 'Bilbury' so maybe it would be cleaner if sold directly from Amazon.

I have orders from over a week ago that were in stock, Prime eligible and sold direct from Amazon that still haven't even got to the customs step in the UK. Get to the back of the line! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement