Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster joinery

• 06-01-2021 7:17pm

Anyone have experience with this company. I am having a nightmare getting them to come back out and their installation. False promises of their service engineer calling out, literally on promise 6

Comments

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with this company. I am having a nightmare getting them to come back out and their installation. False promises of their service engineer calling out, literally on promise 6

Raising it here cos I am in cork and they are a cork company

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes our estate of 24 houses have had serious issues with the standard of workmanship on doors and windows, AFAIK each home has had windows and doors either replaced or fixed, ****e work, ps the houses are approximately 12 years old

Raising it here cos I am in cork and they are a cork company
    Decorated some of their premises years ago some set up, turbines, company buses, really slick operation, but they're as rough ****

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

Things are crazy busy at the moment for these guys, and with the threat of lockdown / stopping construction, they must have been a real panic over the past few days with people trying to get them in.

I have a good experience using Munster joinery over the past few months. They did a good job and got things done on time. But I am not going direct, there is a builder who has been project managing things so he has more clout because he would be doing a lot of business with them.

My colleague also mentioned that she is using them for her new house at the moment, I think she said something about experiencing some delays but it's not surprising given the current circumstances. There may also be some issues, for example, with Eastern European staff who went home for Christmas now having to delay their return or isolate.

That doesn't excuse the fact that they left you hanging so many times, but as far as I'm aware, they have a good reputation.

jgalvin wrote: »
    Things are crazy busy at the moment for these guys, and with the threat of lockdown / stopping construction, they must have been a real panic over the past few days with people trying to get them in.

I have a good experience using Munster joinery over the past few months. They did a good job and got things done on time. But I am not going direct, there is a builder who has been project managing things so he has more clout because he would be doing a lot of business with them.

My colleague also mentioned that she is using them for her new house at the moment, I think she said something about experiencing some delays but it's not surprising given the current circumstances. There may also be some issues, for example, with Eastern European staff who went home for Christmas now having to delay their return or isolate.

That doesn't excuse the fact that they left you hanging so many times, but as far as I'm aware, they have a good reputation.

Tbh they're a pretty poor reputation, but are massive in europe and here, but obviously they must be doing something right to be so successfull, locally I know one other estate also over 12, years old whose householders have had big issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

Got all windows and doors replaced a few years ago with them, very happy with the work and the service call 2 weeks later to make any adjustments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Gru

We are another one in an estate Munster Joinery put in windows and Doors around 2007,

nothing but problems with warping windows (one so bad you could fit a fist in the gap), leaking water under doors when it rains, glass in doors cracked on the inside, leaking rain water through the glass in the doors, Wooden Doors rotting away in spite of annual varnishing with ronseal by multiple residents (so its not like we are all doing it wrong), broken seals in windows, windows literally just falling out of some homes with no force applied, and huge draughts around the windows/windowsills.

allegedly came with a 10 year warranty but not one neighbour could get them out to fix the problems before the 10 years was up and once it was, we were told "they are over the 10 years"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Watch out if you've got their windows where you can remove the glass from the outside without leaving a mark. A friend of mine had forgotten the key to his holiday home last year & we were wondering if we'd have to break something to get in 'til a neighbour happened to walk buy & pointed out that it had Munster Joinery windows. He took a screwdriver, popped off the plastic wedges all around the glass & then we carefully took the pane of glass out. Took < 5 mins, could do it a lot faster if you practiced a bit & weren't too worried about breaking the glass of course. I believe you can't do this on their newer models.

Gru wrote: »
    We are another one in an estate Munster Joinery put in windows and Doors around 2007,

nothing but problems with warping windows (one so bad you could fit a fist in the gap), leaking water under doors when it rains, glass in doors cracked on the inside, leaking rain water through the glass in the doors, Wooden Doors rotting away in spite of annual varnishing with ronseal by multiple residents (so its not like we are all doing it wrong), broken seals in windows, windows literally just falling out of some homes with no force applied, and huge draughts around the windows/windowsills.

allegedly came with a 10 year warranty but not one neighbour could get them out to fix the problems before the 10 years was up and once it was, we were told "they are over the 10 years"
    Exactly the same problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Used them 4 years ago when doing our house because it was the cheapest option, and as they say, you get what you pay for. Poor quality on windows and doors, paint coming off door already, we had 1 window randomly smash during the summer. I'll be replacing them all in the next year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Similar experience here - awful quality. We could literally push our windows out from the wall as they weren't attached at the bottom! Also had to get front door replaced as it warped, and the replacement quickly developed a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Could be worse lads you could be working for them, slave like conditions in the factory they were probably a bit cheaper than they compeidtors. You pay for what you get I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought their reputation was for being expensive but good quality!

I wonder was that once their reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

One word.... dirt

No

kerryjack wrote: »
    Could be worse lads you could be working for them, slave like conditions in the factory they were probably a bit cheaper than they compeidtors. You pay for what you get I suppose.

Agree saw it in action, all (practically) non Irish bussed to work from all over Co Cork and Kerry, hard workers used to harsh conditions
    ( 5 years ago I'm commenting on)

Never worked in the place myself but know a few lads that do, any one complain about the place or the conditions they are gone, they are a law on to themselves and have threatened to pull out of the place many times if they don't get there own way. nothing else around that part of cork and kerry regarding employment so are only show in town. Its alleged that a lad hung himself in there factory one day and they put up a partission around him and worked on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

12 years old that might be the answer

kerryjack wrote: »
    Never worked in the place myself but know a few lads that do, any one complain about the place or the conditions they are gone, they are a law on to themselves and have threatened to pull out of the place many times if they don't get there own way. nothing else around that part of cork and kerry regarding employment so are only show in town. Its alleged that a lad hung himself in there factory one day and they put up a partission around him and worked on.

I sold them stuff years ago and was on site several times. Penny wise pound foolish sort of a set up IMO ........ workers seemed happy enough down there though to be fair but it was before the recession.

Augeo wrote: »
    I sold them stuff years ago and was on site several times. Penny wise pound foolish sort of a set up IMO ........ workers seemed happy enough down there though to be fair but it was before the recession.
    Ya you could look at it another way they have brought in a lot of money to the area and people have built nice houses and reared there families out of the place and no body is held there against there will and you have to be a bit ruthless to survive in business. Appopigies for talking tread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

We were warned numerous times about the quality but given our budget we were kind of forced into going with them. I dont regret it because it worked for us at the time, we were doing a full renovation from 4 empty walls to move in so the pressure was intense, but now that we are settled and have a bit of savings again I cant wait to get every single bit of Munster Joinery kit in my house replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Funny, that's what I heard too.

Am looking to get some (unfortunately large and expensive) sash windows replaced in the next few months. Was going to go with them, thinking at least they'd be good quality. Eeek.

(I mean, if you google just about any company, you're bound to find negative reviews, but still..)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Awful company. Terrible to deal with. They don't care less about their customers.

Unfortunately there are little options.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭fm

Mardyke wrote: »
    Awful company. Terrible to deal with. They don't care less about their customers.

Unfortunately there are little options.

There's loads of options, people are just buying the cheapest option

fm wrote: »
    There's loads of options, people are just buying the cheapest option

Can you give the better options?

I will be getting a porch soon and want to go with another crowd.

I am not sure what the story is with their triple glazing, i am suspecting they are using a thinner pane cos on mine if i open the window its normal low level traffic noise, when i close it its like a weird echoing/vibration type noise coming through. I thought triple glaze would nearly eliminate the sound but its like its magnified or something, possibly might be no gas or something and the sound isnt being blocked sufficiently.

Anyway, if i ever move or get a new house i will be willing to pay double for a quality that i can be guaranteed of

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

We used them for doors in 2008 for a house build. We went cheap on the doors and expensive on the windows ( Marvin) We knew we would have to replace them down the road so tail end of last year we ordered 2 new double doors, front double door and sliding door from Senator. Sister in law go similar recently and the quality and install/follow up was very good. From MJ the doors i think were Iroka wood and you could see expansion and cracking as the years went by. Had to replace all the door seals as well ( which for a big roll of it 70Quid was a bargain tbf)
    I did however build the garage with the window and door seconds that they had in the factory and they are still in decent nick to this day.

Girl in the Senator office did advise me that they didnt even know what could be happening today, in temrs of closing the factory due to Covid restrictions when I rang about my order. I'd say MJ could be in the same boat.

We used them for doors in 2008 for a house build. We went cheap on the doors and expensive on the windows ( Marvin) We knew we would have to replace them down the road so tail end of last year we ordered 2 new double doors, front double door and sliding door from Senator. Sister in law go similar recently and the quality and install/follow up was very good. From MJ the doors i think were Iroka wood and you could see expansion and cracking as the years went by. Had to replace all the door seals as well ( which for a big roll of it 70Quid was a bargain tbf)
    I did however build the garage with the window and door seconds that they had in the factory and they are still in decent nick to this day.

Girl in the Senator office did advise me that they didnt even know what could be happening today, in temrs of closing the factory due to Covid restrictions when I rang about my order. I'd say MJ could be in the same boat.

All seals on windows and doors in my house have been replaced some several times,
    Front door slightly warped, one top window and frame replaced, all thanks to the extreme shoddy Munster joinery crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

We have a new build bought 6 months ago.

Window and Doors supplied and fitted by Munster Joinery.

I would grade their standard of work as an F-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Slightly off topic but my front door, (approx 10 years old from prior too me buying the house) PVC, needs to re aligned and probably needs the seals replaced as there is a gale force breeze coming in through it and under it. Also My French doors at the back which are 4 years old need too be tightened up too as they don’t meet properly anymore. I’d rather get someone in too do it then fiddle with it my self. Anyone come across a person they’d recommend to ring and come out to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not in living memory I'd expect. Expensive and not worth it is the only reputation I've ever known.

Previous house had to get the full set replaced after ~11 years; substantial number of neighbours have done the same in the five years after.

Advertisement