Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can anyone help me out?
    I am thinking of getting someone an "Dolce Gusto De'Longhi Piccolo XS Pod Coffee Machine" for christmas. But I know they would just buy the Aldi coffee pods - does anyone know if the Aldi coffee pods work with such a machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Can anyone help me out?
    I am thinking of getting someone an "Dolce Gusto De'Longhi Piccolo XS Pod Coffee Machine" for christmas. But I know they would just buy the Aldi coffee pods - does anyone know if the Aldi coffee pods work with such a machine?

I use these and also the Lidl ones in a Dolce Gusto machine. Only issue I've had was with the Aldi americano ones where at one point a lot of them were failing and letting the coffee grinds into the cup. I took some apart and sent photos of the failing part to Aldi customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Can anyone help me out?

yes aldi do 3 types and they are all nice, lidl also do the pods so thats a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Chicken Kiev Bites

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rinleezz

Alun wrote: »
    I had a look in Aldi yesterday. Nothing on the packaging about taking it out of the freezer first.

Personally I don't remember the instructions on the one we have available in Ireland, but I do remember getting one, following the instructions and having most likely the best frozen pizza of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Antares35 wrote: »
    Had a craving for something salty yesterday while shopping in Aldi and picked up a multipack of their salted, cinema style popcorn. Very impressed :)

hey i picked some up for xmas it is salty and delicious,nice one on the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Delighted to see the 1kg Skyr yogurts reappear in Aldi this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Delighted to see the 1kg Skyr yogurts reappear in Aldi this week

Damn that's a lot of yoghurt! I could barely finish a kids yoghurt!

Sorry for OT and not judging but I can't imagine a kilo of yoghurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

lassykk wrote: »

Good for having on fruit for breakfast/lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd go through a kilo of Greek yoghurt every couple of weeks and I never eat it as yoghurt in its own right. Salad dressings, dips, cooking, baking etc.

If you drink smoothies regularly, etc, you'd fly through it even faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭caviardreams

lassykk wrote: »

A standard greek yogurt you buy individually is usually 170g (e.g. fage) so it's less than 6 portions, and those are pretty small to me :o I usually get 4 x 250g portions from the Aldi tub - about 150 kcals a piece so it's not exactly an indulgence. 4 portions isn't exactly a massive amount!

The aldi skyr is my absolute fave - great to see it back - even better than the glenisk green one

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd go through a kilo of Greek yoghurt every couple of weeks and I never eat it as yoghurt in its own right. Salad dressings, dips, cooking, baking etc.

If you drink smoothies regularly, etc, you'd fly through it even faster.

Would it hold that long? I thought it would be a few days max once opened.

A standard greek yogurt you buy individually is usually 170g (e.g. fage) so it's less than 6 portions, and those are pretty small to me :o I usually get 4 x 250g portions from the Aldi tub - about 150 kcals a piece so it's not exactly an indulgence. 4 portions isn't exactly a massive amount!

The aldi skyr is my absolute fave - great to see it back - even better than the glenisk green one

When you put it like that it's not so much. My little lad is allergic to dairy and soya so we are discovering the wonder of coconut based yoghurt which if you ever fancy something different is actually really nice.

Sadly not available yet in aldi but to be on topic the Aldi vegan ice cream, chocolate brownie flavour, is smashing. Its not cheap at €3.49 a tub but it's really nice. Great that it's not soya based too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know does Aldi sell bulgur wheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know does Aldi sell bulgur wheat?
    They do. My sister gets it, asked me to try it (haven't yet).

I think it was in an orange bag/pack like the microwave rice bags/packs.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did anyone else try the extra mature cheddar that came in cube shape covered in a blue wax?

Is that just a christmas special? Pity if it is, it's miles better than the usual extra mature cheddar they do. I far prefer crumbly, super-tangy cheddar than the rubbery-ish one that comes in the black packet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

awec wrote: »
    Did anyone else try the extra mature cheddar that came in cube shape covered in a blue wax?

Is that just a christmas special? Pity if it is, it's miles better than the usual extra mature cheddar they do. I far prefer crumbly, super-tangy cheddar than the rubbery-ish one that comes in the black packet. :(

As far as I know those things usually are just for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Has anybody seen the chicken & broccoli pie in there lately? We haven’t seen them in a good while. They were really good and so handy. Hope they’re not gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I got it, love it. Been sparingly treating myself to it every now and again. It's delicious.

That other one in the black package is awful. No flavour at all.

L'prof wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the chicken & broccoli pie in there lately? We haven’t seen them in a good while. They were really good and so handy. Hope they’re not gone :(
    There was chicken and leek, but no broccoli. I looked as I was passing all freezers in the one in Swords 20 minutes ago, Very few of the chicken and leek though, loads of the steak. I will be stopping in the one in Ashbourne shorlty and will check there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tried it yesterday - outstanding.

Suckit wrote: »
    There was chicken and leek, but no broccoli. I looked as I was passing all freezers in the one in Swords 20 minutes ago, Very few of the chicken and leek though, loads of the steak. I will be stopping in the one in Ashbourne shorlty and will check there too.
    sorry for the delay, there was none there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dee_mc wrote: »
    Tried it yesterday - outstanding.

Hi,
    Is this a regular item or was it just for Xmas?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The waxed truckles are always Christmas items

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

L1011 wrote: »
    The waxed trickles are always Christmas items

Damn. 'Googles "how many days until Christmas?"'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Absolutely delicious they are, went into aldi last year on the 2nd of January and they had them at half price as the date was short, bought 3 that where left, did the same this year and got the last 2 at €2:49 each plus 2 extra mature red Leicester( tasty but not as good as the cheddar) at the same price.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone any suggestions for cheese that’s similar? I’ve tried most of the supermarket cheddars and none of them really do it, they aren’t strong nor crumbly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anyone any suggestions for cheese that’s similar? I’ve tried most of the supermarket cheddars and none of them really do it, they aren’t strong nor crumbly enough.

Aldi's Ardagh Extra Mature White cheddar 350g in a purple ziplock wrapper is great value, tasty and Iv'e found if you freeze it it ends up a bit crumbly when thawed again. Think its e1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Look up the Producer Code to see who makes it, and then check the maker's website for similar. It's more likely to be a standard cheese packaged for Aldi than a special run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Have you tried the Deluxe Vintage Cheddar from Lidl?
    It's very crumbly and I find it strong enough, and for the price you can't really go wrong.
    Edit: Tried to include an image, but it's not working. It's in a black wrapper, matured for 15 months.

Advertisement