Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can anyone help me out?
    I am thinking of getting someone an "Dolce Gusto De'Longhi Piccolo XS Pod Coffee Machine" for christmas. But I know they would just buy the Aldi coffee pods - does anyone know if the Aldi coffee pods work with such a machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Can anyone help me out?
    I am thinking of getting someone an "Dolce Gusto De'Longhi Piccolo XS Pod Coffee Machine" for christmas. But I know they would just buy the Aldi coffee pods - does anyone know if the Aldi coffee pods work with such a machine?

I use these and also the Lidl ones in a Dolce Gusto machine. Only issue I've had was with the Aldi americano ones where at one point a lot of them were failing and letting the coffee grinds into the cup. I took some apart and sent photos of the failing part to Aldi customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Can anyone help me out?

yes aldi do 3 types and they are all nice, lidl also do the pods so thats a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Chicken Kiev Bites

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rinleezz

Alun wrote: »
    I had a look in Aldi yesterday. Nothing on the packaging about taking it out of the freezer first.

Personally I don't remember the instructions on the one we have available in Ireland, but I do remember getting one, following the instructions and having most likely the best frozen pizza of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Antares35 wrote: »
    Had a craving for something salty yesterday while shopping in Aldi and picked up a multipack of their salted, cinema style popcorn. Very impressed :)

hey i picked some up for xmas it is salty and delicious,nice one on the recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Delighted to see the 1kg Skyr yogurts reappear in Aldi this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Delighted to see the 1kg Skyr yogurts reappear in Aldi this week

Damn that's a lot of yoghurt! I could barely finish a kids yoghurt!

Sorry for OT and not judging but I can't imagine a kilo of yoghurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

lassykk wrote: »

Good for having on fruit for breakfast/lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'd go through a kilo of Greek yoghurt every couple of weeks and I never eat it as yoghurt in its own right. Salad dressings, dips, cooking, baking etc.

If you drink smoothies regularly, etc, you'd fly through it even faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

lassykk wrote: »

A standard greek yogurt you buy individually is usually 170g (e.g. fage) so it's less than 6 portions, and those are pretty small to me :o I usually get 4 x 250g portions from the Aldi tub - about 150 kcals a piece so it's not exactly an indulgence. 4 portions isn't exactly a massive amount!

The aldi skyr is my absolute fave - great to see it back - even better than the glenisk green one

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'd go through a kilo of Greek yoghurt every couple of weeks and I never eat it as yoghurt in its own right. Salad dressings, dips, cooking, baking etc.

If you drink smoothies regularly, etc, you'd fly through it even faster.

Would it hold that long? I thought it would be a few days max once opened.

A standard greek yogurt you buy individually is usually 170g (e.g. fage) so it's less than 6 portions, and those are pretty small to me :o I usually get 4 x 250g portions from the Aldi tub - about 150 kcals a piece so it's not exactly an indulgence. 4 portions isn't exactly a massive amount!

The aldi skyr is my absolute fave - great to see it back - even better than the glenisk green one

When you put it like that it's not so much. My little lad is allergic to dairy and soya so we are discovering the wonder of coconut based yoghurt which if you ever fancy something different is actually really nice.

Sadly not available yet in aldi but to be on topic the Aldi vegan ice cream, chocolate brownie flavour, is smashing. Its not cheap at €3.49 a tub but it's really nice. Great that it's not soya based too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know does Aldi sell bulgur wheat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know does Aldi sell bulgur wheat?
    They do. My sister gets it, asked me to try it (haven't yet).

I think it was in an orange bag/pack like the microwave rice bags/packs.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did anyone else try the extra mature cheddar that came in cube shape covered in a blue wax?

Is that just a christmas special? Pity if it is, it's miles better than the usual extra mature cheddar they do. I far prefer crumbly, super-tangy cheddar than the rubbery-ish one that comes in the black packet. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

awec wrote: »
    Did anyone else try the extra mature cheddar that came in cube shape covered in a blue wax?

Is that just a christmas special? Pity if it is, it's miles better than the usual extra mature cheddar they do. I far prefer crumbly, super-tangy cheddar than the rubbery-ish one that comes in the black packet. :(

As far as I know those things usually are just for Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Has anybody seen the chicken & broccoli pie in there lately? We haven’t seen them in a good while. They were really good and so handy. Hope they’re not gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I got it, love it. Been sparingly treating myself to it every now and again. It's delicious.

That other one in the black package is awful. No flavour at all.

L'prof wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the chicken & broccoli pie in there lately? We haven’t seen them in a good while. They were really good and so handy. Hope they’re not gone :(
    There was chicken and leek, but no broccoli. I looked as I was passing all freezers in the one in Swords 20 minutes ago, Very few of the chicken and leek though, loads of the steak. I will be stopping in the one in Ashbourne shorlty and will check there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tried it yesterday - outstanding.

Suckit wrote: »
    There was chicken and leek, but no broccoli. I looked as I was passing all freezers in the one in Swords 20 minutes ago, Very few of the chicken and leek though, loads of the steak. I will be stopping in the one in Ashbourne shorlty and will check there too.
    sorry for the delay, there was none there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dee_mc wrote: »
    Tried it yesterday - outstanding.

Hi,
    Is this a regular item or was it just for Xmas?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The waxed truckles are always Christmas items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

L1011 wrote: »
    The waxed trickles are always Christmas items

Damn. 'Googles "how many days until Christmas?"'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Absolutely delicious they are, went into aldi last year on the 2nd of January and they had them at half price as the date was short, bought 3 that where left, did the same this year and got the last 2 at €2:49 each plus 2 extra mature red Leicester( tasty but not as good as the cheddar) at the same price.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone any suggestions for cheese that’s similar? I’ve tried most of the supermarket cheddars and none of them really do it, they aren’t strong nor crumbly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anyone any suggestions for cheese that’s similar? I’ve tried most of the supermarket cheddars and none of them really do it, they aren’t strong nor crumbly enough.

Aldi's Ardagh Extra Mature White cheddar 350g in a purple ziplock wrapper is great value, tasty and Iv'e found if you freeze it it ends up a bit crumbly when thawed again. Think its e1.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Look up the Producer Code to see who makes it, and then check the maker's website for similar. It's more likely to be a standard cheese packaged for Aldi than a special run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Have you tried the Deluxe Vintage Cheddar from Lidl?
    It's very crumbly and I find it strong enough, and for the price you can't really go wrong.
    Edit: Tried to include an image, but it's not working. It's in a black wrapper, matured for 15 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Space Dog wrote: »
    Have you tried the Deluxe Vintage Cheddar from Lidl?
    It's very crumbly and I find it strong enough, and for the price you can't really go wrong.
    Edit: Tried to include an image, but it's not working. It's in a black wrapper, matured for 15 months.

I was about to suggest exactly the same.
    Great cheddar and holds its own on any cheeseboard of quality farmhouse cheeses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

Aldi had a special buy on the 31st: https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2020-12-31
    Had a good few fitness items. Checked it out and a load of stuff was not there that was advertised.
    Got people to check for me in 3 different Aldi's (as they doing a weekly shop) and the stuff not there either

e.g.

pull up bar: https://www.aldi.ie/crane-exercise-bar/p/803531448730303
    weights: https://www.aldi.ie/straight-barbell-weights-set/p/708633426467200, https://www.aldi.ie/curl-barbell-weights-set/p/708634426467400
    push up board: https://www.aldi.ie/crane-blue-push-up-board/p/803531448730906

has anyone seen these items in your Aldi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

obi604 wrote:

Probably not classified as essential so not put out due to the lockdown guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭obi604

xlogo wrote: »
    Probably not classified as essential so not put out due to the lockdown guidelines.

possibly, but then a load of other fitness stuff was there (form 31st Dec special buys) like resistance bands, 6 in 1 trainer, exercise mats etc

tangy wrote: »
    Look up the Producer Code to see who makes it, and then check the maker's website for similar. It's more likely to be a standard cheese packaged for Aldi than a special run.

Never knew this, appreciate it!

This is what I found on it

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/packager-code/uk-dr001-ec

https://www.fordfarm.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is this a regular item or was it just for Xmas?
    Thanks.

Just for Christmas unfortunately
    Edit: I see others have answered already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I know this is not a food recommendation, however, I really rate the Hotel Collection candles. They're located where the detergents are and priced around 4euro. They're essentially Jo Malone dupes: scents iirc = blackberry and bay; lime mandarin and basil; pomegranate. Handy if you're WFH and like (or need!) the tranquility and fragrance of a lit candle... particularly during video calls :D

In terms of food items, I really like the sweet tomato relish (just bought my third jar this week!). I typically buy chutney to accompany cheese and crackers at Christmas, but decided to take a chance on this as. It has a very mild spice, and is delicious with cheese... and I imagine it would be nice on a burger as well :)

New to me... I have tried the Coconut Rice before, but not the 2nd one.

Coconut Rice - happy112.giflick.gif

Coconut, Chilli and Lemongrass Rice - happy108.giflick.giflick.gif

4088600134055-0-L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    New to me... I have tried the Coconut Rice before, but not the 2nd one.

Coconut Rice - happy112.giflick.gif

Coconut, Chilli and Lemongrass Rice - happy108.giflick.giflick.gif

4088600134055-0-L.jpg

Been buying this stuff a while now, and I just can't justify turning on the instant pot to make my own rice anymore, though in saying that I only eat it with meat/veg/salads etc as I don't think it would compliment a curry all that well (due to the spices in the rice)

But it's absolutely delicious, sometimes I'll make some mayflower curry sauce and pour it over this with chips as a takeaway alternative to a 3in1 for her vegetarian self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

In terms of food items, I really like the sweet tomato relish (just bought my third jar this week!))

Is this the Ballymaloe version?

Would you notice a taste distance between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thanks for the recommendation for the specially selected, sea salt & Chardonnay vinegar crisps, they are really nice. Just wondering are the cheese n onions ones just as nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

obi604 wrote: »
    Aldi had a special buy on the 31st: https://www.aldi.ie/c/specialbuys/dates/2020-12-31
    Had a good few fitness items. Checked it out and a load of stuff was not there that was advertised.
    Got people to check for me in 3 different Aldi's (as they doing a weekly shop) and the stuff not there either

e.g.

pull up bar: https://www.aldi.ie/crane-exercise-bar/p/803531448730303
    weights: https://www.aldi.ie/straight-barbell-weights-set/p/708633426467200, https://www.aldi.ie/curl-barbell-weights-set/p/708634426467400
    push up board: https://www.aldi.ie/crane-blue-push-up-board/p/803531448730906

My friend queued up for some of the fitness items and like yourself, not there.

Staff told her though that there was a delay in shipping so they did not get to any Shop. They told her could be in this Saturday(today)

What she did see though was a fella buying up ALL the resistance bands, shovelling the whole lot into his trolley. Either a PT or to sell on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

anewme wrote: »
    My friend queued up for some of the fitness items and like yourself, not there.

Staff told her though that there was a delay in shipping so they did not get to any Shop. They told her could be in this Saturday(today)

What she did see though was a fella buying up ALL the resistance bands, shovelling the whole lot into his trolley. Either a PT or to sell on.

I saw fitness items being unpacked in my local Aldi (Galway) yesterday. I guess they are prioritising groceries over special buys. Some gaps in the various shelves were obvious.

anewme wrote: »

I saw this happening in my local Aldi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Esse85 wrote: »
    Is this the Ballymaloe version?

Would you notice a taste distance between the two?

No it’s nicer, far nicer. It’s made by Folláin Teo in Cork (at least it used to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

Niche, but enjoyed the veggie No Steak Bakes.
    Nice thick gravy and crispy pastry.

(Even more niche: about 19 minutes in the Airfryer at 180° works perfectly (box says 25-28 in standard oven)

Aldi green beans frozen pack,very nice and handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The Tipperary dry aged black angus rip steak burgers which come in a 2 pack are my favourite shop bought burger.

The taste and flavour off them is fantastic, think they have been mentioned on here before, but I highly recommend them, they are delicious .

andrew1977 wrote: »
    The Tipperary dray aged black angus rip steak burgers which come in a 2 pack are my favourite shop bought burger.

The taste and flavour off them is fantastic, think they have been mentioned on here before, but I highly recommend them, they are delicious .

What price are the??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

bassy wrote: »
    What price are the??.

Around the 2.79 mark for 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement