Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I rarely get to do this, but I found some good news.
    Our google mobility data suggests that from Christmas Day onwards, the Irish people have copped on and realised how serious this is and from then on we increasingly altered our behaviour.

We haven't seen a dislocation from normality like this since March. I can say with some confidence now that any restrictions applied should work well and maybe even kick in a little earlier than restrictions usually would.

538464.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Intel?

Fb

majcos wrote: »
    HSE operations report 5/1 as of 8pm

Covid cases hospitalised 873 - increase from 770

ICU confirmed Covid cases 75 - increase from 72
    1 death in ICUs last 24 hours
    Confirmed Covid cases ventilated - 42 increase from 38
    Available ICU beds 22

That's us 4 off the number we saw in hospital in April I think

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

Is a rash a symptom of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Are builders providers and tile outlets to close or remain open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Yes. The guidance from NPHET now is that we need to take to the boats...

if you build a boat in the upstairs bedroom all you have to do is destroy the roof / ceiling and you're set

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Many ski resorts have opened up again despite being a driver of cases last year. And there's talk of allowing crowds at cheltenham.
    Meanwhile they are closing schools and construction.
    You really couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

That's us 4 off the number we saw in hospital in April I think
    Close. 879 on April 13th.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

At this stage anything appears to be a symptom

Give you doctor a call in the morning

they've no builders to provide to

I'm sure they'll close, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Some leaders have gotten it so wrong. While ours haven't be quite as bad as UK, they weren't far off.

It took 3 waves to bring in travel restrictions.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1344236795374964736?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No word of closing them yet , people still need items for home maintenance.

Yes, but also, everything is a symptom of covid. I wish I was kidding, the thing can manifest in so many different ways.

Mind yourself!

Most common symptoms:

fever

dry cough

tiredness

Less common symptoms:

aches and pains

sore throat

diarrhoea

conjunctivitis

headache

loss of taste or smell

a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes

Serious symptoms:

difficulty breathing or shortness of breath

chest pain or pressure

loss of speech or movement

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Where can i find charts for case numbers by county over time?

Many ski resorts have opened up again despite being a driver of cases last year. And there's talk of allowing crowds at cheltenham.

Ah yeah it's so unfair. Close the schools and construction and ffs stop tourism

I couldn't safely see my family but people can go skiing!?

octsol wrote: »
    Where can i find charts for case numbers by county over time?

Here:

/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Some leaders have gotten it so wrong. While ours haven't be quite as bad as UK, they weren't far off.

It took 3 waves to bring in travel restrictions.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1344236795374964736?s=20

Is there another thread to talk about NZ's response?

Here:

/

Update:

l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

No builders = Loads more food in the local deli. No going up and getting breakfast rolls missing most of the makings.

Get In!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://mobile.twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1346264283676602369

Study from UK: decrease in deaths as priority groups vaccinated. Late Feb when top 4 groups vaccinated (care home residents, healthcare workers, over 70s and extremely vulnerable) the lethality of the virus should fall by 90%.

So we can open up at level 2 or 3 in March?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We don’t control what the U.K. does or mainland Europe. Although allowing Ski slopes to open shows a different attitude to the pandemic by several mainland European countries than the prevailing attitude here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Switzerland kept ski resorts open and is now talking about closing schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

My understanding is that the antigen test is fantastic for groups and populations but completely useless for an individual because the margin for error is so wide?

Your understanding is wrong, look at Slovakia. Antigen test is game changer they said, test the majority of the population over a weekend they said... yeah was a failure complete failure. US also used Antigen tests are they are not in great shape either.

Antigen tests are more useful for daily testing or for use in 3rd world countries that don’t have readily access to molecular resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Do you live outside of Ireland? What relevance does people being able to ski have in Ireland?

I don't see what the issue with skiing is anyway, it's no different to any other type of individual outdoor activity and queues / lifts etc can easily be managed to maintain social distancing.

Aprés ski was almost certainly the source of the infections we imported back in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

embraer170 wrote: »
    Switzerland kept ski resorts open and is now talking about closing schools.

Yeh its crazy. They showed pictures on the news of ski resorts the other day. Gangs of people crowded into lifts. No wonder the Swiss are seeing some of the worst daily deaths in the world, regularly over 100 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There are loads of people who went away for Christmas. Who are still travelling. And no requirement for them to quarantine as there is no enforcement.

But yeah lets close the rest of the shops that's sure to so it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Is there another thread to talk about NZ's response?

I'm not sure. That's not about NZ response. It's about the contrast in leadership vs lack of leadership.

The UK bringing in border controls is a tacit admission that maybe telling people they have to live in a bubble and not see anyone to suppress a virus while simultaneously allowing anyone in, is perhaps not the best long term approach.

Great to see them and us pivot / U turn on this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Final call on this thread - Part XXXI is pending

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yeh its crazy. They showed pictures on the news of ski resorts the other day. Gangs of people crowded into lifts. No wonder the Swiss are seeing some of the worst daily deaths in the world, regularly over 100 a day.

Even more shocking for a country with an advanced and well funded healthcare system.

Some regions not only kept ski resorts open but also the resort restaurants, while shutting restaurants outside the resorts. One of my quotes of the year is the Canton Vaud (administrative region) chief medical officer statement:

"We believe that there is a health benefit in allowing families who ski to be able to have a hot chocolate. We do not want to let a child eat his sandwich in the snow at noon"

(Google translate of: "Nous estimons qu'il y a un intérêt sanitaire à permettre aux familles qui skient de pouvoir prendre un chocolat chaud. Nous ne voulons pas laisser un enfant manger sous la neige son sandwich à midi" https://www.lacote.ch/articles/regions/vaud/vaud-ferme-samedi-soir-ses-restos-sauf-sur-ses-pistes-de-ski-1022414)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Hopefully this is the last thread......seem to remember that been said before

��

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement