Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3/4 standout courses to play this year

• 02-01-2021 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for suggestions for venues to play within Ireland (pandemic permitting). I'm a 18 HC, but I believe I'm lower I just haven't had opportunity to play to get lower. But I would like to play some courses that are marquee venues within my abilities. Im a member of Enniscrone GC, and have played most around Mayo & Sligo. So looking further a field. Lahinch and Portmarnock are on it. All thoughts welcome. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Over this side of Ireland

Druids glen
    The Island
    Baltray

European as well but too bard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I’d say the three best are Portmarnock, Royal County Down, and Royal Portrush. If you want to throw a parkland into the mix, I think Mount Juliet is the best in the country. And for scenery and overall experience, it’s hard to beat the Old Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Not tied to any type, Lough Erne appeals to me prob cause of distance.. I'd say cost of a rd on the big courses will probably deter me unless I can get an offer..

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Head to Donegal. Rosapenna x 2 (soon to be 3), Portsalon, Narin, Ballyliffin x 2 and Murvagh.

Trust me you’ve no need to go any further.

thewobbler wrote: »
    Head to Donegal. Rosapenna x 2 (soon to be 3), Portsalon, Narin, Ballyliffin x 2 and Murvagh.

Trust me you’ve no need to go any further.

That wud be an idea.. I'd have 1 mate that wud defo go, and wud ye believe it's golf we only wanna play, not interested in a big piss up away from the wives..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭bailey99

In terms of prices:

Mount wolseley
    Macreddin
    Esker Hills
    Tulfarris
    Bunclody
    Druids heath (I thought it was super last year)
    Connemara
    Carne
    Knightsbrook
    Dooks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don’t ignore the highly underrated Slieve Russell, the front 9 are sublime.
    Concra Woods close by but don’t touch it at this time of the year as too wet.
    Personally though I’d go straight North to Donegal, all great courses...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

If you're in the west get down to Portumna GC! Green fees are more than reasonable too!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

slave1 wrote: »
    Don’t ignore the highly underrated Slieve Russell, the front 9 are sublime.
    Concra Woods close by but don’t touch it at this time of the year as too wet.
    Personally though I’d go straight North to Donegal, all great courses...

Slieve Russell probably the most underrated parkland in Ireland. Played Mount Juliet in the summer and honestly would rate SR above it. Much better setting and better maintained. MT had grass cuttings on fairways which I couldn’t get over while isn’t manicured to the level you would expect a top 5 parkland to be.
    Honourable mention to Headfort New. It does get very wet and wouldn’t be maintained to the same degree as SR but an unbelievable layout and extremely challenging.

Links wise undoubtedly the most underrated that few mention is County Sligo/Rosses Point. Head and shoulders above Strandhill and I rate better and more playable than Enniscrone. However it doesn’t get any better than Rosses Point, Strandhill & Enniscrone over three days.

Would rate County Sligo over the likes of Royal Dublin and Murvagh. Best in the West by a country mile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

They’re good alright, but the OP seems to be based in Sligo, plays those courses all the time, and is specifically looking to play other courses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

They’re good alright, but the OP seems to be based in Sligo, plays those courses all the time, and is specifically looking to play other courses!

Apologies, I only read the recent message and was referring to underrated courses.

Slieve Russell (regularly hold opens for €35-40)
    Druids Glen (€55 & €60 on Monday & Tuesday opens)
    Baltray but will cost around €100 in an open.
    North Donegal you’ve got any amount as in Ballyliffin x 2, Rosapenna x 2. I’ve heard great things about the new layout down the road at Nairn & Portnoo.

Lough Erne is a good shout and a very tough test.

Another idea could be to base yourself in the South East for a few days and play Arklow, Carlow, Bunclody & Rosslare. Nice options and again some of these are highly underrated.

Alot of good suggestions, I think I'm gonna look into Donegal, and try and include Lough Erne. I'm in Mayo and a member of Enniscrone, so I've played most in Sligo also.

What about Carne?

bailey99 wrote: »
    What about Carne?

ya play it, played it on the 27/12. Very good course. Play it a few times a year

Good condition? How are the kilmore nine condition wise?

In terms of prices:

Mount wolseley
    Macreddin
    Esker Hills
    Tulfarris
    Bunclody
    Druids heath (I thought it was super last year)
    Connemara
    Carne
    Knightsbrook
    Dooks

if you are ever going to be in Druids Glen or Heath - play both over two days.

Stay in hotel - one of best hotels in the country.

B
    if you are ever going to be in Druids Glen or Heath - play both over two days.

Stay in hotel - one of best hotels in the country.

We did this. I only heard bad things about druids heath but the four of us all thought it was superb. Some fantastic holes on it. Very enjoyable.

B

We did this. I only heard bad things about druids heath but the four of us all thought it was superb. Some fantastic holes on it. Very enjoyable.

Look is very very harsh - but well worth playing if there.

You would never go there and not play the glen .

Good condition? How are the kilmore nine condition wise?

Haven't played the 9, played the 18. Condition was good considering the rain we had the previous week. Greens in great nick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Carne is fantastic. Played the 27 back in September, and absolutely loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

If you're planning a trip to play a "standout course", it's a good idea to play it twice so you know where you should hit the ball etc.

We did it last year in Co. Louth and there were at least 3/4 holes where I was able to improve by say, picking a different club off the tee, knowing anything left is in trouble and avoiding it or learning from how my playing partners played the hole.

Your own course, Eniscrone is a great example of a course where you learn from playing it. I still haven't figured out how to play the 3rd hole!

If I was going to Donegal, I'd love to play the 2 Ballyliffin courses twice on one trip rather than try and play 4 different courses.

Kiith wrote: »
    Carne is fantastic. Played the 27 back in September, and absolutely loved it.

The welcome is always good in Carne, course isn't as hard as Enniscrone I feel. Rough isn't as long and u have a chance to recover..

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Went away with 2 brothers around Christmas and played 2 separate open competitions in successive days. 1 in Rosslare and 1 in Mount Juliet. All 3 of us were in no doubt as to which was more enjoyable - Rosslare. But during the summer I'm sure MJ would come into its own. Frustration of lost well hit drives would have played a big part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

MorganIRL wrote: »
    The welcome is always good in Carne, course isn't as hard as Enniscrone I feel. Rough isn't as long and u have a chance to recover..

I played both course back to back last summer. I played with an absolute gent who knew enniscrone very well, he was giving me great advice all the way around and bar one hole where i topped a drive I was playing great stuff and was able to do what he was telling me to do for the most part. Without him I think my experience would have been completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Baltray but will cost around €100 in an open.

Baltray was €50 in open last time I played

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

willabur wrote: »
    Without him I think my experience would have been completely different
    Considering i got completely lost on the first fairway (was actually the 12th iirc), i would well believe it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I played both course back to back last summer. I played with an absolute gent who knew enniscrone very well, he was giving me great advice all the way around and bar one hole where i topped a drive I was playing great stuff and was able to do what he was telling me to do for the most part. Without him I think my experience would have been completely different

Think that gent may have been me!

Mid August? Both of us down on holidays? Played with an older couple from Cork?
    I recall you saying you were heading for Carne the next day.
    40pts off about mid teens handicap if I recall correctly?

If not, ignore me, I'm clearly going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

JCDUB wrote: »

This how man love starts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

JCDUB wrote: »

Hah, yes!! Thanks again. 40 pts of 12 which was good enough for 3rd on the day. It was a very enjoyable start to a great trip down west

Followed your tip on the fishing trip out to bartragh island. Brilliant day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hah, yes!! Thanks again. 40 pts of 12 which was good enough for 3rd on the day. It was a very enjoyable start to a great trip down west

Followed your tip on the fishing trip out to bartragh island. Brilliant day

Ah super! Delighted you got a prize that day. Glad I could be of assistance.
    It really is a course where a bit of previous knowledge goes a long way.
    Great to hear you did the boat trip too, one of the highlights of our holiday, apart from the golf, obviously.

Hopefully we'll catch up on the course again some time.

Advertisement