Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3/4 standout courses to play this year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chef89

bailey99 wrote: »
    B

We did this. I only heard bad things about druids heath but the four of us all thought it was superb. Some fantastic holes on it. Very enjoyable.

I played Druids Heath for the first time last summer and hated it. I hit the ball very well but didn't score well. Playing it a second time would maybe be more enjoyable but I don't know if I could do it. The first few holes on the B9 are bananas. I remember hitting PW off the tee then 8 iron over water on a par 4. Mad.

Kerry & Donegal on the list for 2021, craving links golf.

Three courses I played in 2020 that are serious value for money.
    > Rosslare
    > Enniscorthy
    > Lee Valley (Excellent greens)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

I played rosslare for first time fifteen years ago in an intermediate scratch cup. I was fairly hungover truth be told but played some superb golf.

I arrived at the 15th tee to be told by my playing partners that I was 3 over and in with a great chance of winning.

Two doubles and two bogeys last four holes. I thanked him for mentioning that on the 15th. I probably sobered up on the 15th and the enormity of what I was so close to came to my head..

Went back there three times since and it's a super little links track in fairness. Great grub in clubhouse too and they are friendly out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Over this side of Ireland

Druids glen
    The Island
    Baltray

European as well but too bard.

I’m surprised you didn’t pick these 3 courses as ones to play this year.

Portrush
    Portstewart
    Ballyliffen glashedy

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Ardglass for me. Anyone on here ever play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ardglass for me. Anyone on here ever play it?

Yes but would love to give it another go in somewhat playable conditions. Absolutely stunning first tee shot to get you underway. The four of us had to hit driver on the par 3 second. Probably hit my drive as good as I could and ended up with a 10 footer for birdie, the best 160 yard drive of my life.

The conditions really were horrendous and gave us a right battering but there are some great holes along the way. Some not so memorable ones as well but we were just longing to get back to the Clubhouse and out of the weather at times.

We stayed just outside Ardglass in an Airbnb and played RCD while up there. Nice little spot but not an awful lot going on. A decent watering hole near the entrance to the club helped raise our spirits afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Ardglass is good, an enjoyable round. Outstanding views, some exceptionally memorable holes, and a good, welcoming clubhouse vibe.

But a bit like Greenore, there’s something missing from the mix. It just doesn’t leave you purring like a pure links course.

It’s hard to put a finger on what if is. But I’d guess the weaker holes just balance out the stronger holes a little too much. In both courses the weaker holes just seem to “end in the middle” rather than enjoy any strategy.

Please don’t let me put you off by the way. You will enjoy it, and holes 1-4 and 10-12 are heart tingling good.

Advertisement