Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post Parcel Lockers (Like ParcelMotel)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    When you get a text from An Post saying that you have a package coming, it has a link that allows you to change the delivery location to a post office or one of these lockers. This link has a map for you to select from. However this link only works per user/one off basis, so no general map to lock at, that I can find anyway.

When I looked at the map before Christmas, there was 10 lockers in the country.

If I get that text for a Prime order that's pending I'll try and scrape whatever JSON it uses.

EDIT: it's a PM order, not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

plodder wrote: »
    I got notified over the weekend of a delivery and decided to use this option. So, waiting to see what happens today now it's out for delivery. It's hard to find information about the service on the anpost website though*, which makes me wonder how solid it is. I've always had a concern that this type of service (incl. parcelmotel) would have problems at particularly busy times of the year. There's bound to be occasions when packages back up, waiting for spaces in the lockers to come available. They should have an option to collect at post offices/delivery centres during business hours and then have a number of lockers outside each of them. Post offices are the one advantage An Post has, and they don't seem to utilise them sufficiently imo.

* there's a link titled "Click and Collect" but it's dead ==> "Oops 404 We couldn't find the page you were looking for."

ParcelMotel does mention that in December, you could be waiting up to 48 hours for collection due to demand.
    Also the past few years, for my local locker anyways, they have set up a temporary pickup point to help cope with demand in the local GAA club(Kilmacud Crokes) that has a lot more capacity than just a locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

phoenix49 wrote: »
    Have an item delivered to a locker in Liffey Valley SC, does anyone know where exactly the lockers are? Can't seem to find any info on their website. Thanks!

They're just inside the door if you're walking in from Tesco. From inside the shopping centre it's the exit between Dunnes and Costa.

g6ImW2e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

bk wrote: »
    plodder, once it reaches the locker, you should get a text message say that it is in the locker and giving you a PIN code to unlock the locker. If you don't get a text in a day or two, double check the tracking, it should show where it is.
    Strange. The tracking info says it's been delivered, but not to the place I requested, though that could be saying the message came from the DSU rather than where it was delivered to. It's not that clear. Haven't got a text with a locker PIN yet either. I might call out to the place it was supposed to be delivered to and see if they have it.

Update: looks like the package was delivered to home, unsigned for. The tracking info shows:
    14 January 2020 10:54
    Your item was delivered BALBRIGGAN D.S.U., CO DUBLIN
    14 January 2020 05:53
    We have received the addressee's request for a change of delivery BALBRIGGAN D.S.U., CO DUBLIN
    14 January 2020 05:53
    Your item is out for delivery BALBRIGGAN D.S.U., CO DUBLIN
    12 January 2020 14:17
    We are processing your item in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    12 January 2020 12:52
    Change to delivery requested by customer PARCEL MANAGEMENT WEBSITE,
    12 January 2020 10:44
    Your item was accepted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    So, they received my request for change of delivery, but decided against it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

I had a similar story, they indicated that it was delivered to the original address (my office) even though I indicated that I want it to be delivered to a locker. However, they did not actually deliver to my office and later tracking showed it got delivered to a locker, two days later. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

How long do An Post leave the item in the locker for?

Since found out they leave it in the locker for 48 hrs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They just added one at Lidl East Wall. First one I've seen, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Looks like something similar being installed outside Lidl Shankill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Strange. The tracking info says it's been delivered, but not to the place I requested, though that could be saying the message came from the DSU rather than where it was delivered to. It's not that clear. Haven't got a text with a locker PIN yet either. I might call out to the place it was supposed to be delivered to and see if they have it.

Update: looks like the package was delivered to home, unsigned for. The tracking info shows:

phoenix49 wrote: »
    I had a similar story, they indicated that it was delivered to the original address (my office) even though I indicated that I want it to be delivered to a locker. However, they did not actually deliver to my office and later tracking showed it got delivered to a locker, two days later. :)

I also had some weird tracking details, listed as a failed delivery attempt on the day it was originally expected to my house and then it took another day to actually go into the locker.

Does the DSU bundle up the parcels for the home delivery routes? If they do the locker I chose is right beside the DSU so don't know why it took another day to walk it across to the locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Lidl - East Wall.

• Advertisement

hCtmKl4.png

Kye60IT.png

AIzQT1z.png

This is an interesting one. Useful for the vertically challenged.
    9pHWJCG.png

dam099 wrote: »
    Does the DSU bundle up the parcels for the home delivery routes? If they do the locker I chose is right beside the DSU so don't know why it took another day to walk it across to the locker.

Parcels go from the parcel depots not the DU (unless theyre one and the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ED E wrote: »
    This is an interesting one. Useful for the vertically challenged.
    9pHWJCG.png
    .. or more likely, people in wheelchairs?

Alun wrote: »
    .. or more likely, people in wheelchairs?

If PM is anything to go on the bottom lockers would be wholly inaccessible to a wheelchair user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If PM is anything to go on the bottom lockers would be wholly inaccessible to a wheelchair user.

Have a look at the an post lockers - the lowest locker is about 50cm off the ground at the lowest level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Lower doesn't necessarily mean the absolute lowest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl seems to be a main location partner here as there's one in the Maynooth one also.

L1011 wrote: »
    Lidl seems to be a main location partner here as there's one in the Maynooth one also.

API was awkward so I didn't dump it but some are colo with DUs, only benefit is they're 24hrs. Really the product will only succeed if they can get into the last mile.

Are there many lidls with a PM locker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I think they need to sort out the service glitches before expanding the range of locations. They need to either commit to delivering to exactly the location requested, or else do it the Deutsche Post way and attempt a home delivery and then use the locker only as backup. I'd sometimes use PM and switch the delivery location to the other end of the country if that's where I'm going to be, which is a really handy service, but if you couldn't rely on it actually working, then it would be disastrous. But, this has the potential to be a great service ..

An Post mail carriers use a paper based inventory system, I hope the parcel division don't but it speaks to how the organisation works. Doesn't lend itself to dynamic routing.

Edit: looks like my locker request was ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

One of the lockers installed in the foyer of Lidl in Portmarnock. Certainly wont be 24/7 access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

An Post mail carriers use a paper based inventory system, I hope the parcel division don't but it speaks to how the organisation works. Doesn't lend itself to dynamic routing.

Edit: looks like my locker request was ignored.

You seem to have issues others don't have with virtually every single service provider in the country.

Maybe there's something you are not doing right as no one could possibly have that many problems with such a number of companies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW You can send Amazon Returns via the lockers. Very handy. I've done it twice now and worked well both times.

Just print off the An Post return postage from Amazon, stick it on the box as usual, go to the An Post Parcel Locker, click on send package and scan the bar code on the package for one of the doors to pop open for you to put it in.

All very handy and convenient. Specially in these times, if you want to avoid interacting with people in the post office.

It doesn't cost anything, of course assuming Amazon give you the free return, that can depend on the reason for the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

are these working out for people? I am interested in using one soon, are the reliable ?

Can i get a customer in kerry or cork to pop into there local post office branch and put the delivery address attention of (Lidl Tallaght Belgard Locker) , will that work ? or what setup is involved

this service is out a couple of months now am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ash2020 wrote: »
    are these working out for people? I am interested in using one soon, are the reliable ?

Can i get a customer in kerry or cork to pop into there local post office branch and put the delivery address attention of (Lidl Tallaght Belgard Locker) , will that work ? or what setup is involved

this service is out a couple of months now am I right?

You might want to check out ParcelMotel's service which is available now.

https://parcelmotel.com/send/

You can send to another PM user, and they can collect the package from their local PM, or you can send it to a house address, and they will deliver it to their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

You might want to check out ParcelMotel's service which is available now.

You can send to another PM user, and they can collect the package from their local PM, or you can send it to a house address, and they will deliver it to their door.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately Parcelmotel is not close enough for some of my Donegal and Kerry customers, anpost is more ideal for them , i am close to lidl anpost locker myself which make it ideal for me to receive, I wonder can I schedule my anpost parcels to be delivered to to my local lidl locker as a way of rescheduling a missed delivery,

does anpost email the recipient of an incoming parcel whens it been delivered within Ireland ? i know when I receive parcels from abroad they keep me informed of a delivery date via email but not sure if this applies to a nationwide delivery

I work night shifts and some days I will definitely miss the day time delivery, to have a access to a late night locker sounds like a brilliant service

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ash2020 wrote: »
    Hi Andrew, Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately Parcelmotel is not close enough for some of my Donegal and Kerry customers, anpost is more ideal for them ,

Just to be clear - you can get PM to do the 'last mile' delivery to the door of your recipient as part of their service if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Does anyone know if you can use these lockers for AddressPal??

The new AP system now wants to deliver to HOME address but gives no option to use a Locker. If I change my home address to local Parcel Locker... will it work and at what stage does the locker code get sent (when postman puts into a locker OR from a head office somewhere??)

Thanks

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Masala wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use these lockers for AddressPal??

The new AP system now wants to deliver to HOME address but gives no option to use a Locker. If I change my home address to local Parcel Locker... will it work and at what stage does the locker code get sent (when postman puts into a locker OR from a head office somewhere??)

Thanks
    Yes, you can : https://addresspal.anpost.ie/how-it-works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Spocker wrote: »

Sorry, I'm a bit slow in the uptake here today after a bad night's sleep. If I want to get delivery from the UK to a parcel locker instead of my home address, my understanding is as follows:

1. Give my UK Addresspal Virtual Address.
    2. I will then get a notification when the parcel is received in the UK.
    3. I will be asked for delivery options ( does this happen when it reaches the UK depot or the Irish depot)
    4. I can select a parcel locker at this stage.

Is this right? Instead of automatically sending it to a local post office, I can just select a parcel locker? If so, then that is excellent. Also does this work for untracked items?

Advertisement