Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite EU online chandleries?

Options
  • 29-12-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I will continue to buy from Marineparts Direct and from CH Marine. However, sometimes there’s a need to go further afield. E.g. I need a pair of fixed focus 7x50 marine binoculars and don’t want to spend several hundred on Steiners. Merchandise from the UK after 01/01/2021 will carry +/- 30% taxes/duty, so the cost of buying there e.g. Force4 will be prohibitive.

Any favourite sites in the EU? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

I used svb24.com last year and found them excellent. They had 50% off VC Offshore anti fouling and they only charged EUR9 for delivery of a large and heavy box of anti fouling and primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

I bought an item in the UK over the weekend and the seller has informed me today that the Royal Mail have suspended overseas post until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

nokiatom wrote: »
    I bought an item in the UK over the weekend and the seller has informed me today that the Royal Mail have suspended overseas post until further notice

I hope you don't get hit!
    Typical example of the cost of importing from the UK
    Sailing jacket............................€152.00
    Postage.....................................€15.00
    Value for Customs......................€167.00
    Duty at 12%...............................€20.04
    Value for VAT (152+15+20.04)......€187.04
    VAT at 21%................................€39.28
    Total Cost.................................€226.32

Not sure yet if An Post / courier will have a customs handling fee so it could add another €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Am I missing something but haven't we avoided having tariffs imposed on good to/from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Am I missing something but haven't we avoided having tariffs imposed on good to/from the UK?
    AFAIK the only thing I was unclear about was VAT and adding that the Six counties are not included. As an export the UK vendor should not charge VAT but two sites I have bought from do not show a UK price without VAT. Not surprising, given the state of unreadiness in the UK.
    From the Revenue.ie site
    From 1 January The United Kingdom (UK) is no longer a member of the European Union (EU). If you buy goods from the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1 January you may incur charges that are outlined in this page.
    It’s all HERE

• Advertisement
Advertisement