Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfing goals for 2021

Options
  • 01-01-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

2020 was a year I wanted to "improve my game". I had joined a club in 2018 and was just getting into playing regularly. By 2019 I had gotten a couple of lessons, I was working on flexibility and I was playing as much as possible. Getting off the tee wasn't great. But 130 to 90 yards shots to the greens were ok, and putting isn't too bad, rarely 3 put. Schotscope V3 attests. Then lockdown. And that was the year. Just getting into the swing of things and then interruptions again.

2021 then.

1 lessons from the club pro

2 continue to stretch and work on flexibility

3 slowing down my swing

4 building from the preceding 3 a drop in my handicap.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2020 was a funny year. Played more golf then i'd ever played in the first few months, and then get out as much as i could during the various lockdowns. Never really felt like i got a good run leading up to the 2nd lockdown though, and didn't feel like i improved much after that. Few lessons in early 21 will get me on the right track though.
    1. Single digit handicap. Currently 10.8, and want to get my WTS down to single digits. It will take a fair bit of work, but i'm confident i can do it.
    2. Play more clubs again this year. Will be joining Dooks, and want to play all the great looking courses down that neck of the woods.
    3. Win another competition, to show my first in 2020 wasn't a fluke.
    4. Play some match play. Never played it, and i'd really like to try it
    5. Make the Ryder Jug team (hopefully the Boards society can restart with a but more normality)
    6. Improve the amount of shots i have in the bag. I generally play the same shot regardless of conditions (usually quite high). I need to be able to draw/fade when i want, and to be able to play lower shots when needed (which will be a lot out west).
    7. Top 3 in my Enniscrone society this year, and be fighting for the trophy on the last day. Won cat 2 last year, so will be tough, but doable i think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Last year I said play more, I went from mid 60's rounds to 11 so this year nothing fancy, just play golf and let whatever happens with my quality of the game happen

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Rejoined a local club in September till this time next year.
    I had been a member in 2016 (first year of playing) and have played very sporadicilly in the intervening period.
    There are a group of us now signed up for the next 12 months.
    Previous played off 18 but entered very few competitions. Young kids and a busy life have limited my golf over the past few years and I generally only every get out for 9 holes. Awaiting my handicap at the moment. I probably don't take it serious enough to improve enough as I enjoy getting out for the walk and the chat with whomever am playing with.

My kids have been given sets of clubs for Xmas.

Goals for the year:
    -Get out with the kids to the local par 3 once a month - just to get them into it!
    -Play 9 holes at least once a week when courses re-open, ramping up to 27 or 36 holes a week as we come into longer evenings/better weather.
    -Improve my 18 hole scores on the course (currently up on 112 shots (yeah - poor I know but would love to knock 12 shots off by end of year) - I know I can do better.
    -Play the odd competition or three to help improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I won Scratch Cup in 2020 at my club Castlewarden. I got down to single figure again with the new WHS with a 9.1.

This year:

Maintain 9.1 and lower.
    Cross off a few more links from our Project Links goal (play every links in Ireland)
    Win another major
    Top 3 at the SMLinks in August
    Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Had big plans for 2020 as I was only back due to work and young family and couldn't commit to even 1 rd a wk b4 2020

2021 I have joined Enniscrone, links course (it's where I was a member 8 yrs ago) so plan to get 36 holes a week and ramp it up for summer when the courses re open

• Get HC when course reopen
    • Get a lesson with an instructor
    • expect 18-20 HC, so plan to get it into low tens by end of yr.
    • try and play a new course every few months
    • Be competitive/win society capts prize ( big jump but gotta have a challenge)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Get out for a round. Everything else is a bonus after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I had no goals last year and it was probably the way to go. Like most it was the least amount of golf I've played since I started playing.Still I got cut and played a few good rounds in some quality courses so surely this year can be better.
    • Play more team comps with my brothers
    • Play at least two new courses during my May week off for golf
    • Stay within two shots of current HC (11.4) , 16 last year.
    • Lesson , more lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

My goal for this year is to play 20 rounds of golf!

Between child number 4 due in a few weeks and the pandemic I will keep the goals simple

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Shoot under 100 for at least 3 rounds in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

redzerdrog wrote: »
    My goal for this year is to play 20 rounds of golf!

Between child number 4 due in a few weeks and the pandemic I will keep the goals simple

Good luck with new baba. My little brother just had quads....he won’t be playing for several years...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

1. Continue with lessons until at least April (about 1 per month, 2 done in Nov/Dec)). Wish I did this 3 years ago when started.

2. Consistently have rounds in with no scratch (only happened a couple times in 2020).

3. Drop at least 3 shots off handicap to HCI of 20 (was drop of 1 off old system in 2020’and got that).

4. Sub 90 scores consistently by backend of year (was sub 100 for 2020 and got there).

5. One eagle, just one would do (none 2020)

6. In top 3 of a comp (didn’t happen in 2020)

7. Get 65 9/18 hole rounds in (about 55 in 2020)

8. Win upside down claret jug (comp me and 3 buddies do every year)...again ðŸ˜႒. The is is the most important one.

9. Golf trip in Spain or Portugal before year end.

10. Play Doonbeg, Adare, Tralee, Old Head, Ballybunion and Lahinch without breaking the bank account (got 3 of these in 2020, would be happy enough to get 3 in again).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Suppose. We have to be somewhat realistic under the circumstances.

I've enjoyed the few breaks and it seems to have done my game good. Back really enjoying it and playing a little better. I haven't played well for a good 2 years now.

1) i don't think I'm playing well enough. But I would like to win the little winter matchplay a few here play, from the golf society.

2) id like to get a level par round. I can shoot mid 70s , but have to have the day of my life. I've too many wild shots to go low. But you never know . I'm putting well so could happen this year.

3) made great progress on North West links and can start thinking of finally playing every Links course in Ireland over say next 3/4 years. Prices are lower and they need our business (you would imagine)

4) id like to play golf from a ferry in UK . Maybe Liverpool area . But this is possibly getting too ambitious.

5) On swing and coaching - Same as every year . Hit wedges better. The 72 would be no problem if I could do this.

That's about it. I'd love a few social nights around the majors . But that isn't going to happen.

I'm not even thinking about a flight 2021.

On positive side. I'm fairly lucky and well set up for covid . So I can take the hit on golf front when I consider i don't have any real worries. If there is no golf for parts of this year ..I'll take Jan/ Feb on the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Golfing goals for me are up in the air this year. Atmosphere at my club soured for me last year so interclub is no longer a consideration and winning club majors not motivating as it should.

The WHS has me a bit confused as well in terms as setting a handicap target.

I think my goal is going to be to play every weekend with my regular 3 ball, have the craic and if I play well and win a comp or two all the better

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Everything I had down for 2020 is now for 2021.
    A new club this year but the main outlook will be to enjoy playing with family once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I want to hit in the 40's on my local par 3, got very close this year with a 51

Want to get a few lessons

Just play anywhere anytime as much as i can

get better at putting

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

My handicap is 69 but I want to get it to 67
    Usually I play for money but non of my friends will play as they are 78

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Suppose. We have to be somewhat realistic under the circumstances.

I've enjoyed the few breaks and it seems to have done my game good. Back really enjoying it and playing a little better. I haven't played well for a good 2 years now.

1) i don't think I'm playing well enough. But I would like to win the little winter matchplay a few here play, from the golf society.

2) id like to get a level par round. I can shoot mid 70s , but have to have the day of my life. I've too many wild shots to go low. But you never know . I'm putting well so could happen this year.

3) made great progress on North West links and can start thinking of finally playing every Links course in Ireland over say next 3/4 years. Prices are lower and they need our business (you would imagine)

4) id like to play golf from a ferry in UK . Maybe Liverpool area . But this is possibly getting too ambitious.

5) On swing and coaching - Same as every year . Hit wedges better. The 72 would be no problem if I could do this.

That's about it. I'd love a few social nights around the majors . But that isn't going to happen.

I'm not even thinking about a flight 2021.

On positive side. I'm fairly lucky and well set up for covid . So I can take the hit on golf front when I consider i don't have any real worries. If there is no golf for parts of this year ..I'll take Jan/ Feb on the chin.

Hi fix

If you do end up planning a ferry trip, I’m not sure where in Ireland you’re based but one option to consider is going from Ballycastle in NI, to Campbeltown in Mull of Kintyre. Then you’re at the doorstep of Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes, 2 excellent courses. You could even get another ferry over to Islay and play The Machrie, another excellent course. (Ardfin also close by to Machrie but super exclusive).

Dunaverty is another course on the same part of land as the 2 Machs, and is meant to be fun although not in the same league as the others.

These courses would usually have opens as well as other offers, which would reduce the price considerably if you could time it right. Although for the quality, there not that expensive anyway, especially if you compare with Liverpool. I’ve played the 3 first ones I mentioned (albeit the Machrie before the recent renovations) and I would absolutely recommend. Good value to be had there, and the scenery is outstanding. Plus whisky tours if you like that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I only really started playing in 2020, played a little bit in my teens and then would maybe play twice a year since then. So will keep it simple:

Shoot in and around 90 consistently. Constantly shooting 95-98. Would love to break 90 at least once.

Handicap I'd be happy as long as it doesn't get any higher. When I got mine in June it was 23. Got it down to 20.2. Then when WHS came in got cut again to 17.2. If I could finish the year staying at 17.2 I'd consider that an achievement. Particularly given Goal #1 above.

Play Enniscrone & Carne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Hmm, very hard to say for 2021. My firstborn is due in March, so I suspect that will affect my golf. Also, God knows what impact the pandemic will have. But, I still think there was enough good golf in me in my last few rounds that I can get my handicap down a few shots. I'm off 17 at the moment and haven't put in a really good 18, but I've had good runs in my last few rounds. In my last 6 rounds....

level par for a run of 9 holes
    +4 for a twelve hole round
    -1 on a 5 hole run
    no particularly good run on two rounds in a row
    level par on the front 9

I think I'm putting enough good shots / holes together to put in a couple of scores, so I'll hope to get down to 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Got down from 10 handicap to 8.3 now so would like to continue that route. Would love to make the Bruen team this year (was in great form in 2020 but flopped during the trials so consistency is seriously required here). Would love to win a monthly medal for the first time but that's a very hard thing to do in our club, off my handicap.
    But most of all just want to play a lot of golf when we are allowed back ( I'm guessing march) and keep improving ( specifically from 100yds in).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Play a game of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭willabur

Goals for this year.

1: Get to single figures, stay at single figures. I think there is a 7/8 handicapper in there somewhere
    2: Win a medal comp
    3: Play inter-clubs again (by far and away the highlight of the year)

I do realise that if I am successful at 1 it will make it difficult to achieve 3

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Goals for 2021

Get new ping driver fitted, the old g30 is ready for a well earned rest

Actually do some strength training instead of watching YouTube videos on the subject

Win a gross, get me wedges right and this is doable

Win a team medal, that’s the big one ☝️

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hi fix

If you do end up planning a ferry trip, I’m not sure where in Ireland you’re based but one option to consider is going from Ballycastle in NI, to Campbeltown in Mull of Kintyre. Then you’re at the doorstep of Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes, 2 excellent courses. You could even get another ferry over to Islay and play The Machrie, another excellent course. (Ardfin also close by to Machrie but super exclusive).

Dunaverty is another course on the same part of land as the 2 Machs, and is meant to be fun although not in the same league as the others.

These courses would usually have opens as well as other offers, which would reduce the price considerably if you could time it right. Although for the quality, there not that expensive anyway, especially if you compare with Liverpool. I’ve played the 3 first ones I mentioned (albeit the Machrie before the recent renovations) and I would absolutely recommend. Good value to be had there, and the scenery is outstanding. Plus whisky tours if you like that sort of thing!

That sounds amazing - and have not ruled anything out. Will definitely do Scotland again. I just have a bit of a connection with Liverpool - musically and from a soccer perspective.

You are right - the prices in England have gone a bit crazy to be honest. Royal Birkdale is now £250 at a sensible time of year - that is 280 euro for one round of golf - in a place that could have rough enough weather.

Never really understood England to be honest - or it seems to have changed a good bit. There used to be a sort of British pride in not gouging people , but maybe England has changed. It seems to be a sort of, flash place now - the have and the have nots.

Agree - Scotland seems to have a more sensible attitude to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think if i manage to keep to single figures, I will have done well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's some serious golfers in here - fair play to ye! I feel out of place!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

That sounds amazing - and have not ruled anything out. Will definitely do Scotland again. I just have a bit of a connection with Liverpool - musically and from a soccer perspective.

You are right - the prices in England have gone a bit crazy to be honest. Royal Birkdale is now £250 at a sensible time of year - that is 280 euro for one round of golf - in a place that could have rough enough weather.

Never really understood England to be honest - or it seems to have changed a good bit. There used to be a sort of British pride in not gouging people , but maybe England has changed. It seems to be a sort of, flash place now - the have and the have nots.

Agree - Scotland seems to have a more sensible attitude to all this.

I’ve always found England to have that difference between the have and have nots (I’m 45 and originally from there). Much bigger differentiation in class than here in Ireland. And golf is more a sport for the wealthy there thanks it is here.

I think the prices depend more on how far away you are from a large metropolis, whether it’s England or Scotland. You’ll pay £200-300 for the top courses in Scotland as well, the ones anywhere near Edinburgh or Glasgow anyway. St Andrews is probably the only one that doesn’t just up its price because it can.

If you want value for excellent courses in England, you need to go to places like Cornwall (St Enodoc would be the best), Woodhall Spa in Northamptonshire, or the northern border regions (esp Silloth) because they are a big drive from anywhere, much the same as Machrihanish is from Glasgow.

But green fee prices for the top courses are the same over here in the SW or near Dublin and Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Shoot a round in the 70's and get down to around 12.0 - currently 15.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

3 Goals for me - if we can actually get out and play.

1. Get handicap from 8.7 to 6.5ish. anywhere in the 6's and I would be happy.
    2. Improve scoring on Par3's at my home course. Looking at my stats for each hole the par3's are what i score the worst on. Need to hit the green more.
    3. Beat my best round of 74(+3).

Advertisement