Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfing goals for 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 purdy1984

Well after a rocky 2020 biggest goal is just to play golf saying that we need something to aim for so here goes.

Maintain my new WHS of 17.4 - going to be hard as 5 of 8 my best scores were 20 months ago so will fall have the calculation in April (expect a big jump up in the index (i think)

Want to break 90 4 times this year (only done it 4 times ever)

Play 9 holes in level par

Play a round with no double bogies or worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Long term goals still remain:

Get the index to single figures, currently 14.5
    Break 80 in qualifying.
    Develop a decent short game.
    Improve course management.
    Improve putting, too many left short
    Play more links courses.
    Enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I’ve always found England to have that difference between the have and have nots (I’m 45 and originally from there). Much bigger differentiation in class than here in Ireland. And golf is more a sport for the wealthy there thanks it is here.

I think the prices depend more on how far away you are from a large metropolis, whether it’s England or Scotland. You’ll pay £200-300 for the top courses in Scotland as well, the ones anywhere near Edinburgh or Glasgow anyway. St Andrews is probably the only one that doesn’t just up its price because it can.

If you want value for excellent courses in England, you need to go to places like Cornwall (St Enodoc would be the best), Woodhall Spa in Northamptonshire, or the northern border regions (esp Silloth) because they are a big drive from anywhere, much the same as Machrihanish is from Glasgow.

But green fee prices for the top courses are the same over here in the SW or near Dublin and Belfast.

Sorry - I've probably drifted this thread off topic. But where you want to play in the next year always come up here.

As Irish we typically go

1) Some top Links in Ireland or Northern Ireland
    2) Spain or Portugal
    3) St Andrews.
    4) Some other Open Course

Playing golf in England - seems to be a massive gap in Irish golfers' heads. We probably view it as too similar to golf here. But the variety and quality of golf in England is probably far superior. Well I'm not sure on that - but definitely of equal measure with greater quantity and variety.

To get further off topic - England has done it slef no favours anyway as a place that people would consider viviting from a tourist perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Golfing goals this year different this year as I have to take a year of absence from my club for a variety of reasons, I hope to join a club as a distance member in an attempt to keep by WHS handicap. Therefore goals this year:

1. Try play once a month (on average)
    2. Maintain handicap index of 3.5
    3. Play at least 4 new courses this year
    4. Enjoy every the game more and not put to much pressure on myself to play well every time
    5. Stretch target of shooting a 72 (regardless of course par)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Scotland for me when the world opens up again. Having watched the No Laying up Boys on tour there, I am dying to get over and play a few of them. Especially North Berwick and Nairn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Last year I had 3 goals, to get down to single figures, to break 80 and to win a medal, happily I accomplished all 3, now I can just relax and enjoy golf whenever that me be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I find it hard to set SMART golf goals, mostly because it's just unpredictable how a round will go on any given day. Overall, I just plan to play better more often. So, here's what I got:

1. Play in as many "majors" as I can in 2021.
    2. Play all my 8 society outings in 2021.
    3. Play lots of casual golf with my son and his mates.
    4. Go on my postponed golf trip to Portugal in October.
    5. Reduce my HI by 3 shots by June 30th.

I got 3 shots on my handicap at my home course with the new WHS, mainly as I had a complete collapse in my short game from August and my 8 best scores were awful. I had fixed this in the few games I played between lockdowns and had changed my driver, developing a nice draw with it, so I'm optimistic for my overall game.

I have 3 specific things to focus on in my game:
    1. Turn my hips fully in pitches and chips to improve commitment.
    2. Keep my right leg flexed, not straight in the back swing to keep me more stable.
    3. Swing my driver about 20 degrees to the right to promote a gentle draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Got from 11 to 5.9WHS this year and hoping to continue

Goal no. 1 - Handicap of 4.0whs which would mean to play off 6 in home course. Currently off 7

2. Find a shot shape. I honestly don't know where the ball is going to go most of the time when I'm hitting over 180 yards. Hence I'll generally aim to a spot where I won't lose a ball or short sight myself e.g trouble left, I'll aim for right rough. If I hook it a bit, it'll be grand. If I slice it I'll find it and do something with it. A guy I sometimes play with says he's never seen a guy hit it so far offline as a single handicap and still have a decent score. I take that as a compliment

3. Shoot level par or better

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Should have added play more links golf to my post above. I've only been playing for about 2 years, and I've only played one links course, Dooks.

Based in Cork too, so if the Old Head do an Open Day again this year I'm definitely getting involved. Might try Tralee for an Open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

My golf goals for 2021:
    • Break 100 consistently
    • Break 90 once at least
    • Play a round loosing less than 3 balls
    • Get an eagle
    • Continue to get lessons and do regular structured practice
    • Be able to remove one side of the course – only hit draws
    • Play 3 of Carne, Lahinch, Enniscrone, The Island, Ballyliffin, Co. Sligo, Tralee, Waterville
    • Join a club and get a handicap
    • Enjoy every round!

• Advertisement

mk7775 wrote: »
    My golf goals for 2021:
    • Break 100 consistently
    • Break 90 once at least
    • Play a round loosing less than 3 balls
    • Get an eagle
    • Continue to get lessons and do regular structured practice
    • Be able to remove one side of the course – only hit draws
    • Play 3 of Carne, Lahinch, Enniscrone, The Island, Ballyliffin, Co. Sligo, Tralee, Waterville
    • Join a club and get a handicap
    • Enjoy every round!

Great targets.

If you don't mind me asking - has your course an eagle chance. I love lofty challenges - but would an eagle not be a bit unrealistic if you trying to break 90.

An eagle is maybe in 1 in 5 year event for a person at your handicap - unless your course has a very short layout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭coillcam

• Get assessed for yardages
    • Get more lessons
    • Be more comfortable with 5i/6i and 3w from deck
    • Arrive earlier for practice before tee times
    • Break 90 (Hopefully early in year, had 45 on front 9 before xmas)
    • Make 2+ birdies in a round
    • Place in a club competition
    • Place in work society competition
    • Practice short game every week
    • Play 10+ new courses
    • Play abroad
    • Have fun and socialize more

I play in Donabate quite a bit which is fairly short, so there are reachable par 5's for me, I carry my driver about 240/250 yards on average, and up to 300 total on a good day, so I have the power / distance to reach, just my consistency (big banana slice, tops, duffs etc) is my issue with my bad scores.

I've only had two eagle putts that I can remember in the last three years, so definitely a challenge - also to make me go for it more on driveable par 4's / go for the green in two (even if its not always the sensible option, its more fun!!!)

I play in Donabate quite a bit which is fairly short, so there are reachable par 5's for me, I carry my driver about 240/250 yards on average, and up to 300 total on a good day, so I have the power / distance to reach, just my consistency (big banana slice, tops, duffs etc) is my issue with my bad scores.

I've only had two eagle putts that I can remember in the last three years, so definitely a challenge - also to make me go for it more on driveable par 4's / go for the green in two (even if its not always the sensible option, its more fun!!!)

To be honest - to get lower scores - what you have said , you kind of have to not go for things. It is about taking on the shot that you can do 80 % of the time.
    Going for eagles and trying to shot lower scores off your handicap is not particularly compatible.

But again depends what you want - lower scores or fun high scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

a predictable big banana slice is a hell of a lot of fun to play with!!

If you can hit a ball in the mid200+ then you clearly have the athletic ability to play the long game, my advice is get to know your miss. If you have a slice one day then play with your slice, aim for the fat part of the fairways and greens, concentrate on pace of your putting rather than the line and you'll improve massively

I'm getting lessons at the moment and doing loads of range practice (well in between lockdowns) and slowing but surely getting to being able to hit a draw consistently and being able to remove the right had side of the course for the big miss.

I appreciate taking the safe option every time will usually lead to better scores, but its still fun to try and go for green every so often!

I also got a putt out matt & putt trainer during one of the lockdowns, I definitely think it has help my consistency with my stroke, just need to work on my green reading / pace on the green.

Can't wait to get back out on the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

WHS has totally blown my goals out of the water, got 2.8 so I guess my goal is to try to maintain that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tracker_1

Golfing goal for me will be to do a weekend of links golf in difficult playing conditions.. Makes you think which in turn energises the mind ! Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sorry - I've probably drifted this thread off topic. But where you want to play in the next year always come up here.

As Irish we typically go

1) Some top Links in Ireland or Northern Ireland
    2) Spain or Portugal
    3) St Andrews.
    4) Some other Open Course

Playing golf in England - seems to be a massive gap in Irish golfers' heads. We probably view it as too similar to golf here. But the variety and quality of golf in England is probably far superior. Well I'm not sure on that - but definitely of equal measure with greater quantity and variety.

To get further off topic - England has done it slef no favours anyway as a place that people would consider viviting from a tourist perspective

I’d agree. The Belfrey or Celtic Manor are great spots for a golf holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I actually think not going for the driveable par 4s and possibly the reachable par 5s could be the quicker route to the Eagle. When you go for it, I'd imagine the amount of times you end up with a mad slice is huge. And the problem with that is that you can then write off the bad shot to "ah, I really wound up for that one." whereas if your primary objective with your drive is to hit the fairway, you my have excuses when you miss. You also won't actually lose much distance either. When people try to nail a drive, if it goes well they usually just get an extra 10 yards or so out of it. The idea that you can just swing harder and get an extra 30 yards is fanciful.

But if you can start consistently driving the ball where you want to and then start going for the green from the tee, your chances of making it will be far higher. But they're still hard to come by! I was playing from a handicap of between 11 and 16 for 12 years, had plenty of eagle putts but the one eagle I had was when I pitched in on a par 5 from 60 yards. And the hole was even reachable in two. They're hard things to force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I'd just like to get out and hit a ball again.

Anything else is gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I haven't been able to get out much last two years between work and family issues,so have decided to switch golf clubs joined one ten mins from work,so hoping to get out more in evening times plus has excellent practice facilities,so hoping to get a few lessons from one of the pro's and get in some practice before getting back golfing fingers crossed,would like to lower my handicap as year progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Last years main goal was to break 90 and I did that twice.

This year my goals are to...

-Break 90 in Ballinasloe, Tullamore, Birr or Moyvalley(I’ll prob have two cracks at each this year!)
    -Never shoot in the three digits- even once!
    -Play an Irish links(shameful that I haven’t)
    -Upgrade the golf clubs-missing a 9 iron!(Driver is old!)
    -Play Glasson Gc(I’ll have played all courses in the midlands then)
    -Play a top course in Ireland like Mount Juliet or the O’Meara Course
    -Enter some competitions
    -Keep an average of <95 for the year
    -Shoot an 85
    -Get lesson with driver
    -Play 3 new courses
    -Play Portumna again!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Golfing goals will be to reduce my handicap by 2 shots or more , I am planing to change my driver and irons so hopefully that helps. Maybe make some Inter-Club team this year and regularly break 85 in my home club.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

slingerz wrote: »
    I’d agree. The Belfrey or Celtic Manor are great spots for a golf holiday

Played and stayed at The Belfry on 5 occasions, 2 top courses in The Brabazon and The PGA National and the third course although not having the prestige of the other 2,its still a very good course. Any decerning golfer should put them on their "Must Play" list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

1) Find a new golf club in Galway and settle in.

2) Get my handicap down to 14 or lower.
    Currently 16.6 with new system.

3) Win or even top 3 in a major/medal.

4) Improve my putting. I really need to eliminate 3 putts. I've a real tendency to leave long putts short and sometimes very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My goal is to hit some balls on a driving range. I changed membership to pavilion 5 years ago. Have played maybe 3 times a year since then. Have been using working from home to get back into it, hitting chip and pitch shots indoors. Has kind of given me the grá to maybe start being a golfer again next year, getting quite good!

If I go back I want to shoot level par in 2022. 72, 1 over on home course, is my best but thats about 8 years ago. If I do that I want to shoot one round in the sixties in 2023. Why not??!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

With the season coming to a close, figured it was time to review this.

Did ok this year overall i'd say, though not haven't pushed on quite as much as i'd have liked.

1. Handicap went back up to 13.4, though to be fair i shouldn't have been 10.8 to begin the year with. Thought i'd have been able to keep it around that, but my driving kept costing me.
    2. I did get around a fair bit, and played most of the Boards society rounds. Finally got out in Waterville as well, which was enjoyable.
    3. I also did win a competition, which was very nice. Came close to utterly **** it up, by scrathcing 17 and 18, but still held on for a nice hamper :)
    4. Played in my first matchplay competition, in the Jimmy Bruen. Played the worst golf of my life, but i still played in it :P
    5. Missed out on the Jug, so bring on 2022!
    6. Can't say i have improved the types of shots i have in the bag. Still play pretty much as i did at the start of the year, and still struggle with any sort of intentional draw/fade type shots. My short game has gotten very good though, and i'll be focussing on my driving from now till the start of the new competition year.
    7. Didn't even get to go to Enniscrone this year, due to my daughter coming a month early. So inconsiderate :P

So looking forward to next year, though i suspect it may be tough getting out till the little one is at least a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played 1 team comp 😄

I did play at least two new courses, Ballyliffin and Mullingar. Class views in Ballyliffin but I prefered Mullingar, but I had the better weather and I wasn't expecting such a good course so that colours it a bit.

13.4 currently after a bad run and then very little golf. Got out today for 9 on my own for the first time in about 3 weeks and shot 8over on the front 9 of headfort new. Not in a great spot at the minute with my golf

I had one and honestly I couldn't/didn't practice enough.

Probably the least amount of golf I've played has been this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Interesting reading your pre/post 2021 review as you had pretty much identical HC to me to finish 2020 and some of your goals match mine (single digits, shot types) for the next year. Your comment on driving hits home, I find if I drive the ball well I'll score. Thats not to say my irons are amazing or anything but my short game and putting are good enough that if I'm in or around the green in regulation I'll be ok. Hitting great approaches or being hot with the putter makes no difference to me if I'm not driving well, Arccos confirmed that for me which I got towards the end of the year. Good luck with 2022.

Advertisement