Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflatable Tender Dinghy Recomendations

Options
  • 31-12-2020 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Many of such threads are quite a few years old at this stage so rather than resurrect an old zombie thread here we go again....

We've been using a plastic tender which is back breakingly heavy and impossible to use on my own as I've to rely on the roof rack to transport it.
    Lately we've been using our open canoe to tender out to our moored sailboat which is generally fine but this'll be less suitable when we transfer the boat to the sea next year.
    This will be less useful as we'll be unable to bring the canoe along behind as we sail or stow it aboard on, what will hopefully be occasional longer overnight, trips.

Having just bought a new 2.5hp Yammy outboard the budget is strained for the next while however I could stretch to one of the lesser branded inflatables available.... Zodiacs, Avons etc are out of the question but perhaps the WavEco's, Gladiator or Seatecs.

Has anyone any opinions or experiences of either?
    Any alternatives or suppliers that I should be aware of??

Most reviews tend to be on the websites that are selling them so am looking for more independent, and perhaps more local, opinions.
    Any advantage in slatted floor vs air floor?

Thanks folks!!

https://marineparts.ie/waveco-st-inflatable-boats-available-2.3m-2.6m-or-3m-slatted-floor-or-air-floor/

https://www.osmarine.ie/ribs-and-inflatable-boats-Kerry-Ireland/inflatables?product_id=2971

https://www.svb24.com/en/seatec-nemo-230-dinghy-slatted-floor-2-5-person-2-25m.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Forget any canoe or similar. For safety’s sake I’d do without lots to buy a decent inflatable. Look at the stats – most boating/sailing accidents happen between shore and boat. Also, 80% of males drowned annually are aged over 30.

I have an Avon Rover (280?) that is 30-odd years old and still in great condition. It has a slatted floor, sometimes the slats get bunched together in the stern, which leaves the forward area 'soft'. A drawback to a slatted floor is on returning to your mooring/dinghy after heavy rain you will get your feet wet while bailing out. Another is that it is impossible to keep a course when rowing in a breeze. A friend has a Noahyacht inflatable he imported from China that has a false floor above a vee air floor and he is very pleased with it.

Ultraviolet light and bad storage are the main causes of damage; look after it and it will look after you.
    What yacht did you end up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Inflating and hauling in and out of car can be a bit of a dose if that’s the idea. Fills most car boots.

Most seem to keep a small rigid row boat on the shoreline upside down. Secured with chain and lock to a tree, lump of concrete or something. Then just bring the oars/paddles home.

Advertisement