Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster vs Munster, Sat 2nd Jan 5:15pm, Eir Sport 1

Options
  • 01-01-2021 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Ulster:
    (15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney;
    (1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter (Capt.), Matty Rea, David McCann, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Callum Reid, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Marcell Coetzee, Nathan Doak, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham.

Munster:
    Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Ben Healy, Craig Casey;
    Liam O’Connor, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (c); Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Jack Crowley, Darren Sweetnam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

So Munster sending a largely 2nd choice 15 whereas Ulster are close enough to full strength.

Big ask for Munster, McCloskey did a load of damage in this game last year

Kilcoyne, N.Scannell, L.Coombes, and Crowley all due to play for the first time this season

14 out of the starting 15 are "homegrown" players and all 23 are IQ

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I knew none of the frontline internationals would take part, but I thought it would be a stronger side. No Kleyn, Conway or JJ for example.

It's great to get Kilcoyne and Scannell back from injury. It's a big game for Scannell as his form wasn't great prior to his injury. KOB and Marshall have done well in his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I make that 9 IQ players 24 or under in the Ulster 23?

Stockdale
    McIlroy
    Hume
    McCann
    Reid
    McBurney
    O'Toole
    Doak
    Moxham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

yerrahbah wrote: »
    So Munster sending a largely 2nd choice 15 whereas Ulster are close enough to full strength.

Big ask for Munster, McCloskey did a load of damage in this game last year

Kilcoyne, N.Scannell, L.Coombes, and Crowley all due to play for the first time this season

14 out of the starting 15 are "homegrown" players and all 23 are IQ

Ulster have a lot of youth in the team.

If I was Munster I’d be wanting a Ulster win and keep fingers crossed for some magic next week. I’m sure Munster would prefer us than Leinster in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    I make that 9 IQ players 24 or under in the Ulster 23?

Stockdale
    McIlroy
    Hume
    McCann
    Reid
    McBurney
    O'Toole
    Doak
    Moxham

I think it's a fantastic mix. Some of our best players and internationals to try to get us over the line, Academy players McCann and McIlroy starting, two more Academy players (in badly-needed positions) potentially making debuts off the bench.

• Advertisement

All attention on next week as expected but getting the injured players back (N Scannell, Kilcoyne, Healy and L Coombes) is great. Kilcoyne's return is timely with Cronin out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Gav Coombes omission solidifying his place in the first choice 15, if there was any doubt. Well deserved given the season he’s had. I wonder could he feature in the 6N (maybe against Italy) at this rate?

I don't think there's any question over Coombes spot in the backrow.

It's a big opportunity for Daly. The injury and Ireland callup have seen Mike Haley nail down the 15 shirt for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I don't think there's any question over Coombes spot in the backrow.

It's a big opportunity for Daly. The injury and Ireland callup have seen Mike Haley nail down the 15 shirt for the time being.

Daly should be targeting 13 anyway, not the back 3 IMO

Edit: wondering now what a 15 Scannell, 13 Daly, 12 Goggin could be like.

Daly should be targeting 13 anyway, not the back 3 IMO

Edit: wondering now what a 15 Scannell, 13 Daly, 12 Goggin could be like.

I think his best opportunity will be in the back three. Earls has maybe one season left after this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I think McCloskey will be looking to test Healys shoulder at every opportunity

The 9-10-12 combination of Casey, Healy and Scannell will have their work cut out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If Munster actually wanted a chance of a win, they'd just have to add a bit of experience in the right areas, they haven't so I wouldn't expect to see them winning.

Very light in the back 5 pack-wise, which means Ulster will be looking to maul any chance they get. Very young back 3 too. Centre looks like another weak area that Ulster could exploit.

Starting Niall Scannell instead of off the bench also seems a bit bonkers to me. I'd only be looking to give him a 20 minute run out.

Scannell was at the presser for the Leinster game so he was going to be involved. Add in an extra week's training and it's not a surprise to see him start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Scannell was at the presser for the Leinster game so he was going to be involved. Add in an extra week's training and it's not a surprise to see him start.

I saw the presser, doesn't make a difference to my opinion. He will be blowing hard after 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Anyway of watching this live other then Eir? Coming up unavailable on Premier Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting decision for Ulster not to start 15 Chris Farrell's on Eir Sport this week, after how well he did last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

I hope that Healy & Casey have cracking games today...can't see is winning, but hopefully we keep it close

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Starting Cloete is essentially a guarantee of penalty concessions.

The dude never learns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Lovely score.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Pass from Stockdale looked a touch forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lovely score.

Lovely, slick passing aside from Stockdale who owes Faddes a beer for gathering that pig of a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Pass from Stockdale looked a touch forward

thought the same myself but good move nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    Lovely, slick passing aside from Stockdale who owes Faddes a beer for gathering that pig of a pass.

Agreed, and there was a second one later from Faddes in a similar position that was a rocket too. Soften it a bit.

Second lovely score for Ulster there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

McIlroy looks very sharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Billy Burns is a shrewd operator. No hesitation and always a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That lineout prior to the Mcilroy break was ridiculously squint. Caught in an Ulster left hand.

Absolutely no effort there to roll away - was so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Really not a fan of Cloete. Good on the deck but every other aspect of his game is average.

Adamson is letting Ulster hold on to the ball for a long time at every ruck.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Adamson is letting Ulster hold on to the ball for a long time at every ruck.

Timoney robs one after Munster release on the floor.

Advertisement