Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Quackster wrote: »
    This change has zero impact on the Irish Prime Video so there's no false advertising at play here.

Good. There is enough disruption as it is.

If I switch to an Irish account
    - presumably EU roaming will work in the EU
    - but what will be available in the UK?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Good. There is enough disruption as it is.

If I switch to an Irish account
    - presumably EU roaming will work in the EU
    - but what will be available in the UK?
    Yeah, Irish Prime Video will continue to work fine in other EU countries but I imagine in the UK you'll just get that extremely limited roaming catelogue, the same as you get using Irish Prime Video in any other non-EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

MBSnr wrote: »
    TBH the only thing I've watched that would have been otherwise restricted are the PL games. But they basically finish this month anyhow. The other Amazon originals are still available in the Irish version but with the other streaming services I have, we mostly find that Amazon is the least used anyhow. If there was a means of just paying for prime delivery without all the other unused stuff like video, I'd take that option.

I've found the Primevideo to have improved the last few months (UK one anyway) and defo delivery times have improved with their own logistics, Dublin anyway (they'd gone off a cliff during the lockdown mostly due to delays on dispatch) having said that from Jan 1 I'll be looking at what kind of impact customs has on prices and delivery times and comparing to other European options and at that point will decide on whether to keep Amazon prime and after that Primevideo will be dip in & out

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Got that email.

I only got them to switch Prime Video to UK address as it wouldn't work at all on my Firestick (same account worked fine on all my other devices).

User interface has gone to sh*t recently, pushing premium content over the "free" inclusive content.
    Looks like Prime delivery will be of less value so will be cancelling.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Got that email.

I only got them to switch Prime Video to UK address as it wouldn't work at all on my Firestick (same account worked fine on all my other devices).

User interface has gone to sh*t recently, pushing premium content over the "free" inclusive content.

I was only in the UK version temporarily and hated the fact that paid-for premium content was mixed in with the free stuff. The Irish version has no premium content, so looks a lot cleaner.

Admittedly I have zero interest in sports, but apart from that, I don't think there's much of a gap between the UK and Irish version anymore. I find that there's far more quality content (both movies and especially tv shows) compared to Netflix. And since it's part of my overall Prime sub, offers fantastic value. I get free shipping and access to free kindle books, for almost half the price of the Netflix sub. How can you argue with that?

My only complaint would be the interface and the fact that non-Amazon movies don't stay on the service very long....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ted1 wrote: »
    Straight away the sport is gone. It was good for rugby in November.
    No interest in soccer. The tennis was also good.

Tennis on Irish Prime.

I believe Football not on here due to Premiersports assume Rugby could be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just got that email. Will it restrict viewing and is there a work around?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is a prime video app on the Firestick that you should be able to get the Irish content on
    User interface has gone to sh*t recently, pushing premium content over the "free" inclusive content. Looks like Prime delivery will be of less value so will be cancelling.

There is a toggle on top of the screen "free to me" it's called & it will only show stuff included with your prime membership.

There is a whole new interface coming to Firestick. The software upgrade has gone out to the 2020 models already. 4k stick should be next few weeks

khalessi wrote:
    Just got that email. Will it restrict viewing and is there a work around?

Smart dns will keep the status quo

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dublin'09

Any recommendation on a smart dns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is a prime video app on the Firestick that you should be able to get the Irish content on

There is a toggle on top of the screen "free to me" it's called & it will only show stuff included with your prime membership.

There is a whole new interface coming to Firestick. The software upgrade has gone out to the 2020 models already. 4k stick should be next few weeks

Which I think is a bit of a joke as its not as if we don't pay for Prime membership.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Tennis on Irish Prime.

I believe Football not on here due to Premiersports assume Rugby could be the same.

Tennis and NFL are available here. Football is not. Indeed I am surprised their leaky geoblocking lasted so long as it was infringing on Premier Sports rights to the Premier League. Sky will switch off service under the Portability Regulation after 30 days if you don’t come home.

As of now, Amazon has no further rugby rights in the U.K. or Ireland. They recently showed the Autumn Nations Cup in the U.K. only as a one off.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Got that email.

Irish Prime Video works on the Firestick but you have to use the Prime Video app, you can't play directly from the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just noticed that New to Amazon is the 2002 mini series Steven Spielberg presents Taken. I watched it first about 10 years ago after picking up the DVD's at a car boot sale, good watch if you can put up with Dakota Fanning. Her acting is good but I just find her annoying.

If there is a Amazon Prime recommendations thread mods feel free to move this.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

I could watch the premier league last night on prime. I tried with a Uk vpn and wouldn’t work. I assume from tomorrow won’t be able to see the premier league games if Ireland south based?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I could watch the premier league last night on prime. I tried with a Uk vpn and wouldn’t work. I assume from tomorrow won’t be able to see the premier league games if Ireland south based?
    Seems like the football will be turned off tomorrow.

Regarding the VPN Amazon have said this .....
    Prime Video doesn’t support streaming content through Virtual Private Network (VPN) or proxy connections. To watch Prime Video, you must disable these services on your device or try switching to another available connection.

Taken from here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Think restrictions don't apply until the new year. Still working here for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Watched part two of the season six of vikings. Enjoyed it, typical Viking shenanigans. Some good battles,plenty of gore and thought it wrapped up nicely

Think restrictions don't apply until the new year. Still working here for me.

EU regulations should apply until midnight 31st December. On the flip side it will be illegal for them to allow UK prime video outside of the UK from 24:01 on 1st of January. Even for UK citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Doodah7

EU regulations should apply until midnight 31st December. On the flip side it will be illegal for them to allow UK prime video outside of the UK from 24:01 on 1st of January. Even for UK citizens

11pm (Irish time) on 31 December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Is there a massive difference in content between the UK and Irish version?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be clear there would be nothing illegal (in the sense of committing a crime) about them doing so - there is no UK law that says “it is an offence for a video on demand provider to offer its services outside the jurisdiction” or similar. But they need to own the rights and comply with local laws in doing so.

What is the case is that they will no longer have the cover of the Portability Regulation in doing so, and as such their original contracts with third party rights owners limiting those rights to the UK can no longer be interpreted in the light of that Regulation, and so they would be in breach of contract in doing so.

Some other services, Netflix included, switch users to the “local” catalogue when they log in outside the EU. (This is not an issue between Ireland and the U.K. because Netflix’s UK and Irish catalogues are almost identical) Amazon seems to take a different approach and limits you to content that they have worldwide rights to (ie Amazon Originals). Sky will be taking the very harsh (and very wrong in my view) of stopping roaming between Ireland and the U.K. entirely which given that all their third party rights contracts cover both Ireland and the UK they simply do not need to do. Indeed Sky allowed roaming between Ireland and the U.K. long before there was a Portability Regulation in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

icdg wrote: »
    To be clear there would be nothing illegal (in the sense of committing a crime) about them doing so - there is no UK law that says “it is an offence for a video on demand provider to offer its services outside the jurisdiction” or similar. But they need to own the rights and comply with local laws in doing so.

What is the case is that they will no longer have the cover of the Portability Regulation in doing so, and as such their original contracts with third party rights owners limiting those rights to the UK can no longer be interpreted in the light of that Regulation, and so they would be in breach of contract in doing so.

Some other services, Netflix included, switch users to the “local” catalogue when they log in outside the EU. (This is not an issue between Ireland and the U.K. because Netflix’s UK and Irish catalogues are almost identical) Amazon seems to take a different approach and limits you to content that they have worldwide rights to (ie Amazon Originals). Sky will be taking the very harsh (and very wrong in my view) of stopping roaming between Ireland and the U.K. entirely which given that all their third party rights contracts cover both Ireland and the UK they simply do not need to do. Indeed Sky allowed roaming between Ireland and the U.K. long before there was a Portability Regulation in the first place.

Sky are doing it because it has always suited their bottom line commercial prerogative to isolate the ROI from the UK wherever possible in order to maximize their price gouging of their Irish customer base. There is no other rational explanation for the historical pricing differential between the two regions. Expect them to double down wherever they can under the guise of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Is prime video to the UK in ireland.

Wanted to watch castle rock which is in the UK one.

Would a VPN work on a smart TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Is prime video to the UK in ireland.

Wanted to watch castle rock which is in the UK one.

Would a VPN work on a smart TV

Yes, you can watch UK programs but there can be niggling issues. I don't know why, but on the main site for me some movies/programs won't work, but if I use the windows app for prime [on PC] they work just fine, someone else might help you a little better regarding smart tv as I don't have one - but if it's the app version you might be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Post 11pm for those of us it thought were in the UK it seems to offer you the usual poor interface, but when you click on things it says it won't wprk at your location. This would be completely untenable. Amazon created content works.
    As an international provider, Amazon should just launch the local catalogue in each place as required, which would be perfectly legal and would offer a relatively seamless service.

I am considering just starting a new "Irish" account. Would they be like to offer Prime free for a while for a new account?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nothing changed for me just yet....... I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

in the middle of watching inception paused it to make a cup of tea.. then geoblocked

first victim of brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 43,821 ✭✭✭✭Basq

unplayable wrote: »
    in the middle of watching inception paused it to make a cup of tea.. then geoblocked

first victim of brexit
    Not Brex-ception..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

unplayable wrote: »

first victim of brexit

Username checks out.

Advertisement