Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn sausages no longer taste as nice

Options
  • 27-12-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

To make 2020 even worse, the Superquinn Sausage has changed, yuk. the recipe
    must have been altered. not nice at all. Shame on you supervalu/musgraves or whoever you are.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We stopped using them ages ago, and for years they were our family's favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Yip , same here , gave up on them a good while ago too , rotten they are now , no different to any supermarket sausage .
    Butchers for me now .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

After whatever the first cheapening measure was, we did a test of sorts and settled on Clonakilty - weirdly we don't actually like their pudding as much as a few rivals (Kellys of Newport is our normal choice).

Everyones tastes differ on this, but if you've got the time - and who doesn't this time of year - grab a few packs from different brands and gorge yourself senseless in the name of food science.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

After trying a few we now like either Tesco finest or Aldi specially selected. Both have a high pork content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would agree that the Superquinn sausages are gone rank. Clonakilty is the sausage of choice now, McCarthy's (Kanturk) white pudding and Athea black pudding.
    Anyone here tried Inch house (Tipperary) pudding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

L1011 wrote: »
    After whatever the first cheapening measure was, we did a test of sorts and settled on Clonakilty - weirdly we don't actually like their pudding as much as a few rivals (Kellys of Newport is our normal choice).

Everyones tastes differ on this, but if you've got the time - and who doesn't this time of year - grab a few packs from different brands and gorge yourself senseless in the name of food science.

I'm with you on Kelly's for the black pudding. Kearn's were my sausage of choice but haven't seen them since I moved back to Waterford. Plenty of good butchers around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wondered if they got rid of the MSG due to the common backlash against it.

It's still there, but I reckon it might have been higher on the list before but cannot find an old ingredients list. (i.e. they list in order of greatest % first)

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/meat-poultry-sausages-superquinn-pork-492-g-/p-1349780001

Back when they were out first I think they were only in the butchers counter so likely exempt from revealing the ingredients or nutritional info so could hide the MSG content or salt content easily.

I would also imagine they have cheapened out on the spices but I would say they used to be loaded with MSG.

Some other brands have it higher on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if they got rid of the MSG due to the common backlash against it.

It's still there, but I reckon it might have been higher on the list before but cannot find an old ingredients list. (i.e. they list in order of greatest % first)

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/meat-poultry-sausages-superquinn-pork-492-g-/p-1349780001

Back when they were out first I think they were only in the butchers counter so likely exempt from revealing the ingredients or nutritional info so could hide the MSG content or salt content easily.

I would also imagine they have cheapened out on the spices but I would say they used to be loaded with MSG.

Some other brands have it higher on the list.

This might be the explanation I'm looking for.
    As someone who didn't grow up with sq sausages, I could never understand the almost fanatical love for them. When I did get to taste them, they seemed just like any other reasonable quality mass produced sausages to me - on a par with Clonakilty Ispiní or Denny Gold Medal. I couldn't see what made them any different.

Tesco finest (Irish breakfast, summer thyme or Cumberland) are the sausages of choice in our house these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: I edited the thread title for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Zoot1530 wrote: »
    To make 2020 even worse, the Superquinn Sausage has changed, yuk. the recipe
    must have been altered. not nice at all. Shame on you supervalu/musgraves or whoever you are.

I noticed the change maybe 5 years ago not long after SuperValu took over the brand. The recipe was changed then and the sausages were never as good. Both the flavour and the texture changed.

Aldi special selected own brand (you get 12 in packet) are quite decent. Not as good as the original superquinn sausies but better than most of the others on the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Not mad about clonakilty sausages.
    The Aldi premium are the nearest equivalent to the old SQ ones IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Definitely changed.....

Not only that do you remember the bread and rolls done fresh, these were massive oh and the superquinn own brand cakes too....

Musgrave cheap out on everything but still make huge profits.

Such a pity it changed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They were never as good as people said, same with Clonakilty. And overpriced. Just buy them and puddings from a decent butchers.

I noticed the change maybe 5 years ago not long after SuperValu took over the brand.

It's longer than you think.
    Musgrove took over in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

It's longer than you think.
    Musgrove took over in 2011

But didn't make huge changes for a few years.

I'm with the better half 9 years, the local superquin didn't change to supervalu until after I was with her. Maybe a year or two in.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Super valu/Musgraves destroyed superquinn- they just gobbled it up for the market share and store presence. My local one bares zero relation to the store that went before. I still miss it as you could get lovely food for a bit extra

They were never as good as people said, same with Clonakilty. And overpriced. Just buy them and puddings from a decent butchers.

In my experience, butcher sausages can be very inconsistent. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes too salty, sometimes too wet, etc.
    And I'm going on butchers famous for their sausages.
    Obviously, I can't speak for all butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I wonder though is it just that our standards have gone up and we are being nostalgic about some old 80s / 90s thing?

To me, Superquinn sausages are from the days when deli counter pizzas were the height of sophistication and would now be considered awful.

SuperValu has excellent sausages, they’re just not those ones. They’ll typically have a load of artisanal and smaller brands, but their own Signature Tastes sausages are far nicer than the Superquinn nostalgia packs.

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Super valu/Musgraves destroyed superquinn- they just gobbled it up for the market share and store presence. My local one bares zero relation to the store that went before. I still miss it as you could get lovely food for a bit extra

The reality is that it also went out of business.
    It's a shame but that's economics.
    Why would supervalu succeed doing the same thing that sq did when sq failed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have been very tempted to start making my own sausages........initial outlay can be a bit stiff, for good equipment from the likes of,

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/butchers-equipment.html

.....I know it would be a game changer but I've been holding off for a few years now.

Hmmmmm.........

So many gadgets knocking around the kitchen.......I hate that. Pasta rollers, tortilla maker, etc etc etc

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Have been very tempted to start making my own sausages........initial outlay can be a bit stiff, for good equipment from the likes of,

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/butchers-equipment.html

.....I know it would be a game changer but I've been holding off for a few years now.

Hmmmmm.........

So many gadgets knocking around the kitchen.......I hate that. Pasta rollers, tortilla maker, etc etc etc

Unless you eat a whole lot of sausages, it's really not worth the effort. I know this from experience!

Also, if you do, don't cheap out on the mincer. I know this from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Same as.. we had them for decades

Tesco finest or Aldi do us now.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

The reality is that it also went out of business.
    It's a shame but that's economics.
    Why would supervalu succeed doing the same thing that sq did when sq failed?

I used to shop in Superquinn in Blackrock in Dublin and I really don’t see the what all the hype was about. It was a nicer store in the 1990s than the competition but the market changed and the quality went up elsewhere.

SuperValu stores can be excellent, but they vary. For example in Cork, their store (or rather Ryan’s store) in Glanmire stocks things like locally grown bagged salad that is just vastly superior to anything I can get anywhere else, including in M&S. Their range of sausages also includes O’Flynn’s from the English market for example and I can pick up everything from sauces I can’t find anywhere else, like for example at Xmas I needed a good quality orange sauce, which they had. Their Italian food range is far superior to anyone else etc etc. Cheese selection is much better.

Some of the SuperValu stores really are excellent, like the one in Clonakilty even has a full spice bar where you can close your own curry spices (loose) and create all sorts of interesting stuff.

Dunnes revamped stores are also phenomenal at the moment. The delis, butchers and Sheridans cheese counters and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

O'Flynn's.

They’re not as good but I wouldn’t go even close to as far as calling them rank, they’re still better than a lot of what’s out there.

O'Flynn's.

Typo on iPhone ... it has a new habit of retrospectively changing things you’ve typed to entirely different words that it thinks are in context. AI isn’t as useful as they seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The
    In my experience, butcher sausages can be very inconsistent. Sometimes fantastic, sometimes too salty, sometimes too wet, etc.
    And I'm going on butchers famous for their sausages.
    Obviously, I can't speak for all butchers.

Depends on the butcher. My missus started buying the €10 breakfast packs from FX Buckley’s. All of their pork is free range and the quality is far above anything in the supermarkets. They are 100% consistent too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

SuperValu’s that were always a SuperValu are sh1te.
    The ones that were previously Superquinn’s are still decent enough. Particularly for fresh bread.

Case in point is the SuperValu in Northside Shopping Centre. My mother lives in Artane so I’d still drop in once a week as I’m passing for some fresh bread* as it’s still all the original Superquinn bakers and ovens.... (despite Northside Shopping Centre being an absolute sh1thole kip)

*since Covid the fresh bread isn’t as crisply anymore as they are using plastic bags for the bread, and not the perforated plastic bags they used to use that let the bread ‘breathe’. The trouble is they bag the bread when it’s still warm so there’s a lot of condensation in the bag which leads to soft crusted bread.

I’d still pick up the Superquinn sausages every now and again, but they are definitely no longer the ‘original’ version..... Clonakilty ones are decent enough followed by Keary’s

AutoTuning wrote: »
    I used to shop in Superquinn in Blackrock in Dublin and I really don’t see the what all the hype was about. It was a nicer store in the 1990s than the competition but the market changed and the quality went up elsewhere.

SuperValu stores can be excellent, but they vary. For example in Cork, their store (or rather Ryan’s store) in Glanmire stocks things like locally grown bagged salad that is just vastly superior to anything I can get anywhere else, including in M&S. Their range of sausages also includes O’Fynn’s from the English market for example and I can pick up everything from sauces I can’t find anywhere else, like for example at Xmas I needed a good quality orange sauce, which they had. Their Italian food range is far superior to anyone else etc etc.

Yes, individual sv stores can be brilliant.
    Clonakilty, skibbereen, etc but the one in Cork City Centre is rubbish and has been since sv took it over.
    If the sq stores were taken over by enterprising franchisees, they might have fared better but sv took over them directly. I guess customers saw a big disimprovement. Meanwhile, some sv stores are better now than any sq ones were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Like others I think they changed sometime after SV takeover. Stopped buying them after that. Just bland. Wouldn't be something we have often, but it would be Kearns or similar. Or the local butcher which is mostly great.

Advertisement