Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought BOI at 1.39. Got them right at the dip.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

I bought BOI at 1.39. Got them right at the dip.
    Great call.
    Looks like its going to pop upwards again, closed at 3.44 now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    both IRES and Hibernia reported fairly solid earnings in recent quarters , SP is cheap in both cases and dividend yield strong , biggest concern i always hold with REITs is directors over rewarding themselves at the expense of shareholders

Size and lack of diversification makes them iffy for the average investor. Better to seek some thing at least Euroland wide and well diversified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

bankboucy wrote: »
    In regard to Irish banks - everyone is fighting the last war.

This crisis is an income statement recession - the GFC was a balance sheet recession and the largest you and I are likely to see in our lifetimes. Household & Bank balance sheets were completely destroyed with negative equity, the negative wealth effects then hit incomes and credit was completely withdrawn from the economy as Irish banks were no longer able to source inter-bank capital meaning they desperately attempted (& failed) to rebuild their capital base by choking off the oxygen source that was fueling a large chunk of Ireland's GDP which was overly dependent on credit fueled construction related activities (the paradox of thrift writ large). Bank balance sheets then had limited shock absorbers and tangible book value was destroyed in the process wiping out existing shareholders. Bank's were on paper better businesses then (higher ROE) but they were inherently more leveraged and by extension more dangerous as any 2008 vintage BOI/AIB diluted shareholder found out. Ireland Inc. had stupidly tied itself to the banks such that every inch of fiscal space that could have been used to support the real economy with stimulus got pored into zombie banks & got locked up as regulatory capital on bank balance sheets - stagnant and un-lent. In short the Irish bank bailout had ‘no velocity’ in the real economy, zero in fact.

Irish/European bank's today are boring, don’t make as good returns but are orders of magnitude less likely to destroy shareholder equity. On the continent the profit pool for banks has shrunk so much that its clear that there is 2-3x the number of banks needed in most large European countries and consolidation is the only pathway to rational returns where banks earn at least their cost of capital over a cycle. In this one instance Ireland is a country from the future - unless people haven’t noticed, we already have a consolidated banking sector - AIB / BOI / Ulster - own about 70% of the mortgage market and near 90%+ of SME lending. Ulster seems ready to exit stage left too for those not following the news.

Today BOI is stuffed to gills with capital and not sh*tty overnight interbank capital, no boring 0% yielding current account customer deposits & negative yielding corporate deposits (+ some CoCo bonds). BOI has dealt with non-performing loans to a greater degree than most European/Irish banks with NPL exposure down to 4%. The loans they've written for the past 11 years I can assure you have been written to a very conservative standard under the watchful eye of the CBI/ECB & SSM. BOI's legacy culture of being Ireland's least likely underwriting bank team to 'reach' for deals persists (BOI ‘only’ joined the Anglo Irish bank / Celtic tiger madness fairly late..c.2006) and if there's one thing bank execs do well its self preservation and post GFC BOI was not going to be writing PoS loans as it, first fought for survival, then raced to get the government out off its shareholder registrar (Wilbur Ross / Prem Watsa say thanks). CET1 capital buffers are very large at BOI and currently a clear 5% over their new revised 9.27% regulatory minimum. ALOT!!! of bad things need to happen to get to breach regulatory levels and wipe out shareholder equity with dilutive capital raise. Look at the ECB/SSM stress tests to see what the banks have been built to ride out. People also don’t default on mortgages with 30-40% positive equity………..just doesn’t happen.

This crisis is terrible but it wont be enough to destroy book value of the Irish banks. In the last crisis billions of euros was pored into the black hole of balance sheets- the sovereign borrowing for this purpose did nothing to stimulate the real economy - it repaired bank balance sheets and never reached Joe Public’s wallet. Instead of Keynesian spending to boost the economy, austerity was imposed as all spare fiscal space was used to plug the holes in the banks we'd stupidly guaranteed. Rates weren't even at zero then (anyone remember the ECB raising rates in 2011?!!!?) The Irish economy is much more balanced this time - the FDI sectors we rely on should remain robust (Tech / Healthcare / Financial Services). AIB/BOI can actually lend through this crisis given the capital buffers they have - all very different than the last time. Ireland 2009 - 2014 was a financial wasteland mired in an internal devaluation & a deflationary bust. The government this time can, should and is borrowing at near zero rates to support damaged household incomes bridging them from the COVID to the post-COVID economy. Vaccines give us a timeline for this - Q3 2021 for mass vaccination and normal-ish economy. The EU via ECB will be accommodative and has done a fluffed Eurobond with federal like stimulus payments. The ECB will hoover up any bonds we print keeping nominal rates on new Irish borrowing at effective negative rates. State aids rules have been thrown out the window - the Irish government can and should support Irish SME’s robustly to bridge them to health (this includes helping them pay their loans!!). The credit guarantee scheme should see a situation arise where banks SME legacy loan book will be bailed out by new credit guarantee loans for businesses with a post-pandemic future (rightly so).

Now whats Bank of Ireland worth then today?????

In a post-Covid stabilized world of 0% interest rates & Eire growing GDP 2-3% a year. Lets call it Ireland 2022 to be safe (so negative earnings for BOI in 2020 & 2021). I’m going to repeat the write downs on H1 2020 c.700m, into H2 2020 & 2021…so a hit to equity of another c.2bn. Share holder equity of BOI in 2022 would likely be reduced to c.7bn then. Bank of Ireland can earn conservatively 8% on equity so about c.500 million a year in 2022. 50% retained/50% distributed to shareholders. Book will then grow c.3.x% a year in that scenario, so 2023 earnings 637m (7% on 9.1bn), 2024 = 659m, 2025 =682m, 2026 = 706m etc. Maths are super rough!. I'll leave terminal growth rate at 2%. DCF the earnings at a 10% risk free rate - banks are cyclical & don’t deserve a market multiple of 15x. Bank of Ireland's intrinsic value IMO is c.6 euro a share.

I could add in credit for future headcount/cost cuts once IT transformation is complete - but people are people and sacking colleagues/friends requires stomach European's in relatively small communities/markets like Ireland/Dublin don’t have. If real efficiency, branch closures and slashing and burning was done I'm positive RoTE could get up to 10%. Depends on how ambitious Francesca McDonough is and what her post-BOI ambitions are.

The other thing I gave BOI no credit for was the net present value of its carried forward losses from the GFC of c.1bn...have no doubt that is genuine asset sitting inside the bank for the next decade+….…the net present value of that could easily be 500m between friends. If you wanted to be aggressive you could back that out of the price you’re paying today for BOI maybe say its worth 0.59 a share alone.

Saw some folks a few threads back talk about challenger banks - for sure AIB/BOI need to wake up and realize the duopoly they’ve been re-handed in the Irish market is permanent only if they work at it…this needs to be done before a 3rd online digital player emerges with real scale I looked at Revolut/N26 and sorry they’re just not at the races in terms of deposits not even close……AIB/BOI are in a very privileged position collecting such low cost deposits from the Irish population and should immediately team up with PTSB/Ulster & create a cross institution instant payment app to kill revolut & stop Venmo or Square in the future. A digital only millennial sub-brand banking app of BOI should be looked at (Santander is doing something similar).

Finally think with Sinn Fein off the table for possibly the next 4.5 years. The big risk to the banks - Government meddling (this is why AIB imo is untouchable as an alternative investment given 90%+ ownership by the state and even the hints Sinn Fein might control it one day), is somewhat reduced, lets see how stable this coalition is…….the populist thing to do is to drive the banks into unprofitable lending & double down on repossession barriers/asset recourse…….I think Paschal Donohue + others in FF are pragmatic enough to understand that like it or lump it a functioning profitable market led banking system is key pillar of economic prosperity. Ireland already ran the experiment of what happens to an economy without a functioning prudent underwriting led banking system.

Lots of people on here trading BOI - I suggest not doing that - I’ve bought and held since 1.70………when its 20% off my conservative estimation of 6 euro per share intrinsic value (c.4.80) I’ll look again to see if my thesis is still in tact and only then consider my next move. Jumping in and out is a dangerous game - a true trader plugged into the ziegesit is a rare beast (Paul Tudor Jones & Stanley Druckenmiller come to mind)……I’d suggest most here aren’t traders. Big moves in stocks happen on tiny amounts of days......nobody can tell when exactly......but you can tell that over time a business earning 0.60c a share in a quasi-monopoly business with high barriers to entry in a western European democracy with good demographics can easily trade at x10 eps......or 6 euro......dont double guess it.

Let me start with saying that it's a very good post and I am in agreement with most of your analysis. The only part that I question is whether you
    have you taken into account the impact of lower interest rates for longer and the impact that this has on the banks profitability as a lot of their costs are fixed costs.

If you take AIB for example there NIM is down 36bps to 2.10 and will be lower by the year end when you take into account the average balance sheet and the rolling off and on of new bonds as they mature.

The Cost Income ratio (Excluding impairment) has gone from 69% as at 30/06/2019 to 75% at 30/06/2020. And will be higher at the year end thanks to a lower NIM.

All the extra deposits that banks got this year due to covid has ended up costing them circa 13m (9.9bn x13bps assuming all non retail customers are charged negative rates) which will also cause a drag on their income. If we end up seeing real inflation when this cash is spent then yields will rise however if this cash is used for asset purchases all we will see is asset inflation and lower rates for longer and banks being less profitable.

It is also worth bearing in mind that if we do see inflation and rates do rise their could be significant MTM losses on the bonds held in Liquidity Asset buffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bankboucy

Let me start with saying that it's a very good post and I am in agreement with most of your analysis. The only part that I question is whether you
    have you taken into account the impact of lower interest rates for longer and the impact that this has on the banks profitability as a lot of their costs are fixed costs.

If you take AIB for example there NIM is down 36bps to 2.10 and will be lower by the year end when you take into account the average balance sheet and the rolling off and on of new bonds as they mature.

The Cost Income ratio (Excluding impairment) has gone from 69% as at 30/06/2019 to 75% at 30/06/2020. And will be higher at the year end thanks to a lower NIM.

All the extra deposits that banks got this year due to covid has ended up costing them circa 13m (9.9bn x13bps assuming all non retail customers are charged negative rates) which will also cause a drag on their income. If we end up seeing real inflation when this cash is spent then yields will rise however if this cash is used for asset purchases all we will see is asset inflation and lower rates for longer and banks being less profitable.

It is also worth bearing in mind that if we do see inflation and rates do rise their could be significant MTM losses on the bonds held in Liquidity Asset buffers.

Thanks for your thoughts

Yes the interest rate environment isn't favorable for banks - but it isn't like European/irish banks haven't been operating in that environment for years & ECB seems to realize that going deeper into negative rate territory has exhausted its positive effect...IMO rates aren't going any lower from here......it did seem pre-COVID that the ECB may have been on a pathway to raising rates. The interesting thing is that Irish banks NIM's are the envy of European banks (as low as they are), most continental European banks would kill for 2% - which again speaks to the consolidated nature of the Irish banking sector. It is a headwind but frankly I think of it already priced in but optionality not priced in is what if shock/horror all this money printing actually did see the yield curve steepening.....which would be great for spread businesses like banks.

Couple of other thoughts on NIMS / expenses - they're are undoubtedly costs to come out of the two main banks which they can tackle now but the other area that the Irish public is just getting used to is what banks call non-interest income.......we call them fees......in a consolidated market like Ireland as long as AIB does it BOI can introduce/increase all types of sneaky account fees.....I expect these to rise to cover some of the deposit/operating cost lost through NIM compression........if Ulster exits stage left.....I could see AIB and BOI within weeks of each other introduce negative yielding savings account first on large deposits then on smaller deposits & then on current accounts (for retail customers)

Couple of other future catalysts not in my original post but in my bull case are the rolling off of Celtic tiger era risk models (stuffed with defaults)....which should significantly reduce risk weighted assets and by extension their Tier 1 capital requirements.......making mortgage lending more profitable and meaning BOI will have significantly more capital than needed for operations which could be returned to shareholders in opportunistic buybacks in the future which are hugely accretive below book value as BOI is now.

Finally BOI's biggest business - mortgage lending - I feel is set for a secular boom....people have been forced to save something approximating a deposit.....this government will live and die by its ability to drive housing construction up to 30,000 - 40,000 units a year........ for example the new shared equity scheme, the tax refund on new build purchase.....is all there to improve drive the supply of new units into the market against which you would expect BOI to maintain its 25% market share of what will be a growing pie. This will be a boom for BOI/AIB.

The bull case is as follows - (1) Celtic Tiger risk models roll off with lower default assumptions the norm moving forward (presumes COVID NPL's don't sky rocket (2) yield curve steepens (3) Ulster exits the market (4) secular boom in new housing construction. You could see AIB/BOI get back to low mid-teens ROE's.....maybe 12.5%.....on 7bn of equity.....say 840m a year.......investors realize the Irish market is a duopoly and x10 P/e mutliple expands a bit to even 12x P/E............BOI is a 10 euro stock

• Advertisement

Thanks for your thoughts

Yes the interest rate environment isn't favorable for banks - but it isn't like European/irish banks haven't been operating in that environment for years & ECB seems to realize that going deeper into negative rate territory has exhausted its positive effect...IMO rates aren't going any lower from here....

Yes the interest rate are unlikely to go lower but I was talking about the impact on the Liquidity Asset Portfolio where yields have turned negative right out the curve and will significantly impact the banks NIM.
    The interesting thing is that Irish banks NIM's are the envy of European banks (as low as they are), most continental European banks would kill for 2% - which again speaks to the consolidated nature of the Irish banking sector.

The main reason NIM is higher that European banks is because the Lending Rates take into account the capital cost of the RWA's associated with the Lending (Which will be higher due to the 08 crash)

Yes the interest rate are unlikely to go lower but I was talking about the impact on the Liquidity Asset Portfolio where yields have turned negative right out the curve and will significantly impact the banks NIM.

The main reason NIM is higher that European banks is because the Lending Rates take into account the capital cost of the RWA's associated with the Lending (Which will be higher due to the 08 crash)

Yes agree on the liquidity asset portfolio - but this is more of gradual thing as assets roll off they'll be forced to roll over into these.....so the question becomes how long does the curve remain this flat and what proportion of assets will BOI be forced to roll over into them at such unfavorable rates. I could be wrong but I think we might finally see inflation and rising rates a little earlier than some expect......this crisis has no moral hazard argument supporting the fiscal hawks......this crisis is nobodys fault except a bat in china....fiscal authorities will be unleashed....christ the EU managed to get the Germans to sign up to Eurobonds. I was shocked, I'm still shocked. Massive Monetary + massive Fiscal stimlus combined has to be enough to get inflation going or else we can throw out the economics text books. BUT your points taken and I agree not good to have reg capital jammed into negative yielding government gilts.

On NIMS - your point is spot on - whats interesting though is that a recent CBI report looking at mortgage rates in Ireland vs. Eu averages could only explain a proportion of the extra spread Irish banks get to the GFC risk models on RWA......what they somewhat danced around in that report is what I alluded to in my original post which was lets call it 'pricing power'......other might call it lack of competition.........if Ulster leaves this pricing power will only grow.....more entrants come in well it will erode and the benefit from the rolling off of GFC risk models will go to the consumer. My bet I suppose is that this wont happen.....risk model benefits will not be passed on to the consumer, Ulster will leave & VERY 'rational' pricing will emerge from BOI/AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Well, a very Merry Christmas to all! Brexit deal done as expected - not a bad early present :)

Yes agree on the liquidity asset portfolio - but this is more of gradual thing as assets roll off they'll be forced to roll over into these.....so the question becomes how long does the curve remain this flat and what proportion of assets will BOI be forced to roll over into them at such unfavorable rates. I could be wrong but I think we might finally see inflation and rising rates a little earlier than some expect......this crisis has no moral hazard argument supporting the fiscal hawks......this crisis is nobodys fault except a bat in china....fiscal authorities will be unleashed....christ the EU managed to get the Germans to sign up to Eurobonds. I was shocked, I'm still shocked. Massive Monetary + massive Fiscal stimlus combined has to be enough to get inflation going or else we can throw out the economics text books. BUT your points taken and I agree not good to have reg capital jammed into negative yielding government gilts.

On NIMS - your point is spot on - whats interesting though is that a recent CBI report looking at mortgage rates in Ireland vs. Eu averages could only explain a proportion of the extra spread Irish banks get to the GFC risk models on RWA......what they somewhat danced around in that report is what I alluded to in my original post which was lets call it 'pricing power'......other might call it lack of competition.........if Ulster leaves this pricing power will only grow.....more entrants come in well it will erode and the benefit from the rolling off of GFC risk models will go to the consumer. My bet I suppose is that this wont happen.....risk model benefits will not be passed on to the consumer, Ulster will leave & VERY 'rational' pricing will emerge from BOI/AIB

I agree that logically we should see inflation but think that we won't see it materialise as the fiscal spending is not creating any shortage of any commodity or service with the exception of China who is building up it's infrastructure and driving up the price of steel, shipping etc.

If you take Ireland as an example the government's fiscal spending is mainly on filling the void created by Covid via social protection in the form of pup, a bit of spending in health care and construction which will lead to small element of inflation in these sectors.

The notion that people have been forced to save because they can't spend due to lockdown's and once Covid is gone all this cash will be unleashed and will generate inflation is not something that I am buying into as people have been saving since 2015 long before Covid was around and I can't see people just going mad and spending it for the sake of it. They are more likely to use this for an asset purchase such as a property than blow it on a party. Don't get me wrong I do expect there will be an uptick in spending and Inflation as the world gets back to normal but think that this will be short lived and not sustained for a long enough period to create enough inflation for bond yields to rise significantly.

The only way I see real inflation is if the banks who are struggling to make a profit in the current environment start passing the cost onto retail customers via negative interest rates which would really get people spending. This accompanied by a sharp rise in Oil would generate the inflation.

If Bond yields go up off the back of inflation you would expect investors to switch asset class and buy stocks/shares as they pull their money out of the Bond market. Banks would be a big winner in such a scenario as they would start generating healthy profits from the yield curve and are somewhat undervalued at the moment in relation to other sections of the stock market that are overvalued and have already priced in a full recovery with the expectation of future bumper profits from pent up demand that may not materialise or will be short lived. .

My prediction is:
    - that we won't see the inflation and that banks will hamstrung by the lack of a yield curve and the low interest rate environment persisting which will make it difficult for them to rebuild any capital used for impairments.

- That QE will be around for a while as the first sign of this tapering off will crash the stock market unless the future bumper profits materialise.

- That we will see a demand increase in the housing market which will push up prices as institutional investors chase yield and homeowners spend their savings accompanied by an increase in lending for house purchases.

I agree that logically we should see inflation but think that we won't see it materialise as the fiscal spending is not creating any shortage of any commodity or service with the exception of China who is building up it's infrastructure and driving up the price of steel, shipping etc.

If you take Ireland as an example the government's fiscal spending is mainly on filling the void created by Covid via social protection in the form of pup, a bit of spending in health care and construction which will lead to small element of inflation in these sectors.

The notion that people have been forced to save because they can't spend due to lockdown's and once Covid is gone all this cash will be unleashed and will generate inflation is not something that I am buying into as people have been saving since 2015 long before Covid was around and I can't see people just going mad and spending it for the sake of it. They are more likely to use this for an asset purchase such as a property than blow it on a party. Don't get me wrong I do expect there will be an uptick in spending and Inflation as the world gets back to normal but think that this will be short lived and not sustained for a long enough period to create enough inflation for bond yields to rise significantly.

The only way I see real inflation is if the banks who are struggling to make a profit in the current environment start passing the cost onto retail customers via negative interest rates which would really get people spending. This accompanied by a sharp rise in Oil would generate the inflation.

If Bond yields go up off the back of inflation you would expect investors to switch asset class and buy stocks/shares as they pull their money out of the Bond market. Banks would be a big winner in such a scenario as they would start generating healthy profits from the yield curve and are somewhat undervalued at the moment in relation to other sections of the stock market that are overvalued and have already priced in a full recovery with the expectation of future bumper profits from pent up demand that may not materialise or will be short lived. .

My prediction is:
    - that we won't see the inflation and that banks will hamstrung by the lack of a yield curve and the low interest rate environment persisting which will make it difficult for them to rebuild any capital used for impairments.

- That QE will be around for a while as the first sign of this tapering off will crash the stock market unless the future bumper profits materialise.

- That we will see a demand increase in the housing market which will push up prices as institutional investors chase yield and homeowners spend their savings accompanied by an increase in lending for house purchases.

I'll take the over

Post GFC savings rates shot up - people were afraid of debt......money velocity went down

Post pandemic - I predict a kind joie de vivre or YOLO attitude to emerge......borrow for this, pay for that it could all end tomorrow.....get on credit cards.....book that holiday etc etc.

History is on my side - the last global pandemic was followed by the roaring 20's......I can see the same again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The last global pandemic came in the immediate aftermath of the most destructive war in human history *

* To that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Size and lack of diversification makes them iffy for the average investor. Better to seek some thing at least Euroland wide and well diversified.

you regard anything listed on the iseq as " iffy "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭sk8board

In general it would be true of iseq listed companies, if like me, you value diversification above all.

BOI is probably the closest thing on the iseq to a bellwether for the Irish economy itself. I bought for the first and last time in mid May, deep in the 1.30’s, mainly because I’d seen these ‘last one out turn off the lights’ indicators before over the decades, and it seemed vastly oversold, even with the shortest of midterm views.
    As some of those long posts above suggest, I haven’t really checked it since and won’t for a while yet.
    there’s plenty runway for more ups than downs in the next few years.

sk8board wrote: »
    In general it would be true of iseq listed companies, if like me, you value diversification above all.

BOI is probably the closest thing on the iseq to a bellwether for the Irish economy itself. I bought for the first and last time in mid May, deep in the 1.30’s, mainly because I’d seen these ‘last one out turn off the lights’ indicators before over the decades, and it seemed vastly oversold, even with the shortest of midterm views.
    As some of those long posts above suggest, I haven’t really checked it since and won’t for a while yet.
    there’s plenty runway for more ups than downs in the next few years.

BOI is not remotely a bellwether for the irish economy and has not been since 2013 , the stock has been on a near constant downtrend since wilbur ross cashed out in 2014 , it took a major step down post the 2016 brexit vote and another with Covid 19

not one company on the ISEQ is an indicator of the health of the irish economy

the S+P 500 is the most accurate bellwether for the irish economy , we ( our economy ) track the fortunes of american corporations to a near T

No, I look at risk profile. And most people do not want to build up a pot luck portfolio.

No, I look at risk profile. And most people do not want to build up a pot luck portfolio.

you frequently refer to ISEQ constituent companies as " micro caps "

sk8board wrote: »
    BOI is probably the closest thing on the iseq to a bellwether for the Irish economy itself.

Not at all. It may be pulled down a bit by the loan book, but it is mainly impacted by the same issues as all banks across Europe.

Banking today is basically a commodity industry with over capacity and worst of all the going rate in this market is zero - no one wants to pay for their services.

Ireland is a small open economy very much impacted by global trends. Everything depends on our ability to produce high valued goods/services and the opportunity to sell them in what to us is an undervalued currency at no expense to the exchequer.

you frequently refer to ISEQ constituent companies as " micro caps "

Because that is what they are....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I think that people here need to remember the difference between traders and investors.

Jim talks about portfolios and what he would and would not have in them. Fair enough.

But, most people here trade BofI. Like Jim, they wouldn't dream of investing in it. And, if they're making money from those trades, then great.

There is a difference.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Back when the share price was E1.30 it was also dismissed by our friend above !!
    I wonder can he name any other stock that appreciated by over 120% in the same time frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭sk8board

Dinarius wrote: »
    But, most people here trade BofI. Like Jim, they wouldn't dream of investing in it. And, if they're making money from those trades, then great.

There is a difference.

D.

Yeh that’s pretty much it - I bought them based the share discount to their underlying asset value - which if I remember correctly was 0.17 at the time. This was outside my own risk appetite, but Covid simply threw up some (perceived) value back at the time.

Because that is what they are....

relative to the DOW components , yes

its pure rigid orthodoxy however to think investing in any ISEQ listed company is taboo

plenty of them are well run and profitable

Dinarius wrote: »
    I think that people here need to remember the difference between traders and investors.

Jim talks about portfolios and what he would and would not have in them. Fair enough.

There is a difference.

D.

Jim wouldnt dream of investing in any irish company , never mind trade it

cute geoge wrote: »
    Back when the share price was E1.30 it was also dismissed by our friend above !!
    I wonder can he name any other stock that appreciated by over 120% in the same time frame

hes a firm disciple of textbook orthodox investing principles , thus he could never take pride in having bought bank of ireland at 1.30 or Tesla eighteen months ago

its pure ideology with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Dinarius

As Warren Buffet has shown, there is room for both.

Buffet can sleep easily at night with his kind of investing. He doesn't need to be as nimble.

Trading is a different mind-set.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Been watching this stock for a while and I am somehow surprised that it hasn’t exploded as a result of the Brexit deal that many expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Been watching this stock for a while and I am somehow surprised that it hasn’t exploded as a result of the Brexit deal that many expected.

Lot of fund managers are on holidays until next week. I expect action next week maybe 4 euro by end of January.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Banking is the only undervalued sector after 2020, and it's much healthier than it ever was. Money tends to flow out of one sector and into another. A lot of funds are starting to switch away from the frothy Tech stocks where anything with the name "cloud" was selling at sky high valuations.
    I like BoI as it is part of a monopoly now, borrow from the ECB for 0.0% lend back out for 3.5% on Mortgages.
    For Commercial loans its borrow from the ECB for 0.0% lend back out for anything up to 13%. Plus they are shedding a load of staff and have automated a lot of their banking services.
    JP Morgan is another Banking stock to like, they are making a lot of money from retail and commercial banking and have fought back hard against the likes of Square and are now eating away at Squares market.

relative to the DOW components , yes

its pure rigid orthodoxy however to think investing in any ISEQ listed company is taboo

plenty of them are well run and profitable

No, relative to the definition used by most risk management strategies. Now this is 101 portfolio construction. You want to ignore it that is your business and your money. But putting it out as a normal approach is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Lot of fund managers are on holidays until next week. I expect action next week maybe 4 euro by end of January.

There must be a few fund managers propping up Ryanair and FTSE as they are doing well enough

Advertisement