Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

This is incredible, BIRG has broken through 205resistance,is the highest price in ages and nobody speaks. Either because boards.ie is sparsly populated, or the moaning Minnie's have chased away posters from this particular site. This is not today or yesterday posters are being driven away. Personally I have sold out.waiting for a downturn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

I put a sell order at 2.50 (I know ambitious)

Bought av at 1.84

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

rugbyman wrote: »
    This is incredible, BIRG has broken through 205resistance,is the highest price in ages and nobody speaks. Either because boards.ie is sparsly populated, or the moaning Minnie's have chased away posters from this particular site. This is not today or yesterday posters are being driven away. Personally I have sold out.waiting for a downturn

I mentioned in the Shares forum that I was considering getting out last week. I had noted if we didn't break through resistance this time I'm out. The spread got very wide for over a day which I put down to a forthcoming move and when it closed over 200 the other day I decided to hold.

Next major resistance is 226/227 then 290. Will give it a few days to breathe now with the elections as I can make arguments to go up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

rugbyman wrote: »

still holding, in at 1.62.. some good signs given the recent closes above 2.05, 2.1.
    Hopefully we shall see 2.8 soon! Any dips below 1.9 I'll add to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Up 5% this morning on very chunky volume - 500k and it's only midday!

Now that it has broken resistance, a few punters are chasing the price, I suspect.

Also, as PHG suggests, the US elections may help....or not! Impossible to say really what a Biden victory might do.

All indicators are positive now. So, I would expect €2.05(ish) to now be support rather than resistance.

We shall see.

Interesting times.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

AIB is seemingly rooted to the floor ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    AIB is seemingly rooted to the floor ?

AIB certainly a lot less correlated in recent weeks. With BOI at these levels AIB "should" be around 1.40 relative to historic.
    Not a bad day today all the same, highest since mid September, hopefully close ~1.05 and go from there!

Biggest volume in last three months.

Very bullish.

D.

High Beta stock so might be a choppy few days around election but let's hope this momentum continues.

Tiny volume today, only 80k so far.

I'd expect a pull-back unless the price increase on this tiny volume is a big buy yet to be announced.

USA isn't helping either.

D.

• Advertisement

Can someone please remind me, when was the last BofI share split, and what was the split ratio?

Many thanks! :p

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Dinarius wrote: »
    Can someone please remind me, when was the last BofI share split, and what was the split ratio?

Many thanks! :p

D.

According to Degiro's graph

There was one in July of 2017, 30:1

the one before that was in 2010 at 1.78:1

sirboby wrote: »
    According to Degiro's graph

There was one in July of 2017, 30:1

the one before that was in 2010 at 1.78:1

Thanks!

D.

Would expect a Biden-Bounce, but I guess we need to draw breath after a very good month.

D.

Would expect a Biden-Bounce, but I guess we need to draw breath after a very good month.

D.

There is the bounce. You were an hour early :pac::D

All I can say is God Bless Pfizer lol!

PHG wrote: »
    There is the bounce. You were an hour early :pac::D

Wow!

Nice! :)

Given how quickly it fell back in early 2020, there isn't much resistance above here until €3/3.50.

Interesting times.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Some day so far. FTSE rallying, all we need now is a trade deal and that would see bank of Ireland double from here

Closed up 6%, at almost its high for the day, on solid (if not spectacular) volume.

Little or no resistance between here and €4, and it’s still down almost 50% in a 12 month period.

So, either it establishes new resistance between here and €4, or it sails upwards.

And I accept that this is no help whatsoever! 😎

D.

Bought a nice tranche of AIB at 1.00 a fortnight ago , bought more today @ 1.29 as i think it has more catching up to do than BOI

i lightened up on bank of ireland two months ago at 2 euro having bought at 1.50 but thats ok , still have around 8 k in the stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Is Bank of Ireland really worth a punt to invest ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No, by no stretch of the imagination is BOI investment grade.

But if like many here, you enjoy a day at the races or a night at the dogs, it might or might not be worth a bet. The odds are better in any case.

As what Jim said. This is part of my speculative portfolio that I mess around with that wont make or break me but keeps me from stupid trading elsewhere.

If you get in, set a TP and SL and if either hit, then bail

Yes, Berkshire Hathaway wouldn't buy BofI.

But, nimble traders have been able to make a buck from it in the last while.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Jim2007 wrote: »
    No, by no stretch of the imagination is BOI investment grade.

But if like many here, you enjoy a day at the races or a night at the dogs, it might or might not be worth a bet. The odds are better in any case.

What’s your reasoning for that? Interest rate environment, brexit, impending covid impact or all of the above?
    Bought some at €1.80. Well capitalized bank with a low state ownership unlike AIB, hardly that risky?

Closed up 6%, at almost its high for the day, on solid (if not spectacular) volume.

Little or no resistance between here and €4, and it’s still down almost 50% in a 12 month period.

So, either it establishes new resistance between here and €4, or it sails upwards.

And I accept that this is no help whatsoever! ��

D.

Resistance is 2.70 , 4 euro is a year away at least, its already doubled from the yearly bottom of 1.30 , none of the main European banks have more than doubled

What’s your reasoning for that? Interest rate environment, brexit, impending covid impact or all of the above?
    Bought some at €1.80. Well capitalized bank with a low state ownership unlike AIB, hardly that risky?

Jim is an orthodox investor, for him , Tesla was a bad purchase two years ago even with the quadrupling of SP

Bank of Ireland should only be a small investment though,banking is a **** business in this country

Jim is an orthodox investor, for him , Tesla was a bad purchase two years ago even with the quadrupling of SP

Bank of Ireland should only be a small investment though,banking is a **** business in this country

... and I would have agreed with him back then!
    This place has a real risk of becoming a dangerous echo chamber if there isn't someone to be the voice of reason.
    Next time I see something I perceive as a bubble with a cult following I'm jumping on board!

... and I would have agreed with him back then!
    This place has a real risk of becoming a dangerous echo chamber if there isn't someone to be the voice of reason.
    Next time I see something I perceive as a bubble with a cult following I'm jumping on board!

so if given the opportunity to have bought Tesla shares two years ago knowing what we do now , you would have declined ?

• Advertisement

so if given the opportunity to have bought Tesla shares two years ago knowing what we do now , you would have declined ?

Of course I would have loved a 2 year near 10x investment in hindsight but there’s a reason the like of Jim Chanos had a short position in Tesla. Just look how he called Enron and Wirecard. It just wouldn’t sit right with me but what do I know. I don’t have a financial background and I’m new at this.

Advertisement