Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a video app with real time sub titles for a very deaf 95 year old

Options
  • 29-12-2020 1:44pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Title says it all.

Mother in UK is 95, and more than profoundly deaf, so using a phone is becoming a real issue, if she gets 10% of what's said on some days, we're doing well.

What's changed things is that her husband is now starting to have health issues, and she's not coping well, and with the Covid situation over there, there's effectively no local support. We can do very little from here, with the present travel restrictions.

Ideally, as there's a computer in the house that's pretty new,we need a Windows based program like Zoom, but with real time sub title option that will display the text on screen without too much delay.

This forum is probably the most active right now, hence the post, as this is becoming a real problem that we have to try and resolve urgently

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Title says it all.

Mother in UK is 95, and more than profoundly deaf, so using a phone is becoming a real issue, if she gets 10% of what's said on some days, we're doing well.

What's changed things is that her husband is now starting to have health issues, and she's not coping well, and with the Covid situation over there, there's effectively no local support. We can do very little from here, with the present travel restrictions.

Ideally, as there's a computer in the house that's pretty new,we need a Windows based program like Zoom, but with real time sub title option that will display the text on screen without too much delay.

This forum is probably the most active right now, hence the post, as this is becoming a real problem that we have to try and resolve urgently

Maybe Google Meet would work?

Join meetings directly from a Calendar event, an email invite, or directly from Gmail. All of the event details are right there when you need them, whether you’re joining from a computer, phone, or conference room. Helpful features like live captions, low-light mode, and noise cancellation make meetings more productive.

On your computer, go to Google Meet.
    Join a video call.
    At the bottom, click turn on captions or turn off captions.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

+1 for Google Meet! The captions aren't perfect, but quite impressive tbh and even more so when it's that you're talking to family so any of the errors can be eliminated with context/knowing how they speak.

Hope it works out for you OP, must be tough for you both but fingers crossed you can get a decent solution and have a proper connection again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

voldejoie wrote: »
    +1 for Google Meet! The captions aren't perfect, but quite impressive tbh and even more so when it's that you're talking to family so any of the errors can be eliminated with context/knowing how they speak.

Hope it works out for you OP, must be tough for you both but fingers crossed you can get a decent solution and have a proper connection again.

Thanks both, going to give it a go here first, as I have a couple of laptops I can experiment with here first to see how it works. Seems reasonably easy to do, and I can set the remote end up from here using teamviewer, so no messing their end at all, just sit there and talk/read the conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks both, going to give it a go here first, as I have a couple of laptops I can experiment with here first to see how it works. Seems reasonably easy to do, and I can set the remote end up from here using teamviewer, so no messing their end at all, just sit there and talk/read the conversation

Also any Google Pixel 3 phone and upwards has the tech built-in to it, drains the battery but could help I suppose?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Fieldog wrote: »
    Also any Google Pixel 3 phone and upwards has the tech built-in to it, drains the battery but could help I suppose?

For the rest of the family, we can use pretty much all the technology we have, for the parents, they have a Win 10 all in one, recently upgraded, so fast enough, but that's their limit, we have trouble getting them to remember to turn their mobile phones on when they go out, and don't even think about smart phones, they are still using non smart phones that just about can text, but don't try anything fancy, and at this stage, we're not going to rock the boat by trying to get them to upgrade, if I can get a viable link working with Meet, that's the critical issue of being able to communicate with Mum when her hearing is making voice calls impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This forum is probably the most active right now, hence the post

The first words in the site FAQ section

How To Be A Better Poster

Post in a forum where the subject is relevant.

You should put posts where they belong. A library where people put books in any section they want will soon become unusable. Resist the temptation to say, "I'm not going to post in the right forum because more people read THIS forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement