Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty - Part 2 - Read OP for mod warning (06/01)

• 28-12-2020 9:47pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread here

Threadbans and other mod warnings carry over

Mod warning 06/01/21
    Beasty wrote: »
    A large number of posts deleted

The tragic death of the Garda is completely off topic. Anyone even mentioning it will be subject to a minimum threadban

Mod:

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

Threadbanned Users:
    Kimsang
    blueshade
    Blueshoe
    Lonesomerhodes
    AndrewJRenko
    the dunne
    Penfailed
    ohnonotgmail (lifted 03.01.23)
    Jelem
    V8 Interceptor
    CtevenSrowder
    protonmike
    Howard Beale
    Helltonever
    November Wren
    Glenfieldman
    Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Imagine if there were actually two Gemma O’Dotherys..

No, god no don’t imagine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Raichu wrote: »
    Imagine if there were actually two Gemma O’Dotherys..

No, god no don’t imagine it.

You mean in the nip? You want to be the meat in a Gemma sandwich?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Who are we to judge!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Who are we to judge!

Is that not the whole point of this thread(s)?

You mean in the nip? You want to be the meat in a Gemma sandwich?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Who are we to judge!

Don’t put words in my mouth, especially not those ones.

Ah bro I think I’m gonna get sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Can we make a conspiracy and hide this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

godtabh wrote: »

:D

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The old thread ended on "666".....just saying like? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

godtabh wrote: »

Well she started it. She has no problem voicing ill informed, and generally nasty, opinions about everything and everyone so really should she be surprised when everything and everyone have better informed but equally nasty opinions about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

touts wrote: »
    Well she started it. She has no problem voicing ill informed, and generally nasty, opinions about everything and everyone so really should she be surprised when everything and everyone have better informed but equally nasty opinions about her.

Yeah but I think this is actually a good point. She is an extremist hatemonger but responding to her in equal amounts of abuse and hate lower people to her level. I personally think when challenging her extremist hate that we shouldnt be responding with extremist hate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah but I think this is actually a good point. She is an extremist hatemonger but responding to her in equal amounts of abuse and hate lower people to her level. I personally think when challenging her extremist hate that we shouldnt be responding with extremist hate.

The best response to the likes of her is no response. An educated response is not changing her mind no matter what & responding in kind is giving them attention.

The old “don’t feed the troll” rings true here! Obviously Gemma and co like to invoke a response and sometimes ignoring is impossible, but I really think just talking about them as little as possible is really the key to getting them to effectively.. well fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The best response to the likes of her is no response. An educated response is not changing her mind no matter what & responding in kind is giving them attention.

The old “don’t feed the troll” rings true here! Obviously Gemma and co like to invoke a response and sometimes ignoring is impossible, but I really think just talking about them as little as possible is really the key to getting them to effectively.. well fcuk off.

Completely disagree on this. She needs to be challenged not ignored.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

To what end? Do you think challenging her views will change her mind or just drive her more into lunacy?

And when I say ignored, I mean by general public Gardaí intervention where necessary etc is important, but I really don’t see any point to engaging with the likes of her, because it’s more drama for their followers.

LOOK EVERYONE AN IGNORANT PERSON TRYING TO CHANGE ME

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How would anyone challenge her? Shes never done an interview or had a conversation with anyone who disagrees with her idiotic views. Shes a coward. A chickensh1t.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In before anyone claims otherwise, but she's a vile racist woman

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To what end? Do you think challenging her views will change her mind or just drive her more into lunacy?

And when I say ignored, I mean by general public Gardaí intervention where necessary etc is important, but I really don’t see any point to engaging with the likes of her, because it’s more drama for their followers.

LOOK EVERYONE AN IGNORANT PERSON TRYING TO CHANGE ME

If nobody challenges her then her and her followers will take that as agreement.

If nobody challenges her then her and her followers will take that as agreement.

To be fair does she even take criticism as valid anyway? The other problem she won’t speak to anyone who could properly put them in their place and an argument between herself and you or I for example leads to nothing.

If she’s out acting the bollocks, engaging her solves nothing. She won’t start to change her mind, she’s a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To be fair does she even take criticism as valid anyway? The other problem she won’t speak to anyone who could properly put them in their place and an argument between herself and you or I for example leads to nothing.

If she’s out acting the bollocks, engaging her solves nothing. She won’t start to change her mind, she’s a lost cause.

oh absolutely she is a lost cause but other people seeing what she posts might see the reactions to her and stop going down her rabbit hole.

oh absolutely she is a lost cause but other people seeing what she posts might see the reactions to her and stop going down her rabbit hole.

Definitely I don’t think her actions should be ignored and should be blasted back to outer space - I just think Gemma should be ignored.

I guess what I’m saying is a thread like this is grand, but I wouldn’t entertain her directly in any fashion, be that commenting on one of her videos or speaking to her in real life.

Though, if I ran into her, I can’t say I wouldn’t give her a dressing down, if she invited it.

And I don’t mean in a sexy way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

O'Doherty speaks to an anti-society/authority demographic that'll find her whether we give her oxygen or not. Those people want to find rabbit holes and will discover all those corners antithetical to somewhere like Boards. As to O'Doherty, her views are abhorrent and misanthropic, but she also strikes as potentially mentally ill. I've often wondered if the tragic death of her husband caused a breakdown she has never recovered from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

It doesn't take much effort to discredit whatever crazy notions she tends to come out with.
    And when you consider how tiny her following is, which has not grown at all over the last few years, I think that shows that you're better off not completely ignoring it and instead addressing what she comes out with to help put off any new potential followers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pixelburp wrote: »
    O'Doherty speaks to an anti-society/authority demographic that'll find her whether we give her oxygen or not. Those people want to find rabbit holes and will discover all those corners antithetical to somewhere like Boards. As to O'Doherty, her views are abhorrent and misanthropic, but she also strikes as potentially mentally ill. I've often wondered if the tragic death of her husband caused a breakdown she has never recovered from.

What happened her husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What happened her husband?

Passed away from an illness a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That’s sad.
    I wonder if it coincided with her antics starting?
    Maybe she really does need psychiatric help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Motor Neuron disease I believe, absolutely awful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Criticism only confirms to her that THEY are everywhere and that THEY really are out to get her. In any case she can't handle criticism, at all, she has never been able for it. The merit in criticism is for society to affirm that it considers her views repugnant, but I think it's best to try and ignore her entirely because:
    1) criticism only reinforces to her that she's under seige
    2) the overwhelming majority of her views are so whacked that the kind of person who would be influenced by them is likely a lost cause already

She believes that the state/government is conspiring against the population, which she believes consists of indoctrinated lemmings, but has no problem bringing court cases against the state, as if the judiciary and legal system exists in a vacuum which this all-encompassing conspiracy somehow fails to touch. I realise that court cases are just another opportunity for her to promote her vitriol, but it shows how disjointed her thinking and beliefs must be. There is absolutely no use reasoning with someone like her.

I think denying her the oxygen of publicity is the most effective way of dealing with her. Criticism just invites her into a coversation that she doesn't respect and wants to monopolise.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Birneybau wrote: »

Think that is ultimately what tipped her over the edge.

Watching her husband deteriorate in front of her eyes, over a number of years, probably led to her losing her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Birneybau wrote: »

Sure is, which makes her behaviors all the more weird and nasty....

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Watching her husband deteriorate in front of her eyes, over a number of years, probably led to her losing her mind.

Do you think this explains her vileness?

Her thought out and intentional and deliberate vileness? I mean, it takes a hell of a lot of effort to behave the way she does...

I'm not sure he actually deteriorated. I think he died soon after diagnosis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

walshb wrote: »
    Do you think this explains her vileness?

Her thought out and intentional and deliberate vileness? I mean, it takes a hell of a lot of effort to behave the way she does...

I wasn't ameliorating her behaviour, just stating a fact.

She's just a nasty piece of work.

I think SHE thinks there is method to her madness. Unfortunately so do some scumbag morons.

Think she enjoys being the Pied Piper to the rat(lickers)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement