Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x11 - "Su'Kal" ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Painting Saru as an ineffectual captain that might make compromised emotional decisions getting lectured by...Michael Burnham.

Right.

Actually thought this episode had hints of what potential this show has but I just don't care about the characters which is a result of the writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i got one good unexpected laugh out of it, was watching the episode with my wife, I was wondering why Saru hadnt said in the last episode he knew the woman was pregnant, my wife said "because they hadnt thought of it yet"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

silverharp wrote: »
    i got one good unexpected laugh out of it, was watching the episode with my wife, I was wondering why Saru hadnt said in the last episode he knew the woman was pregnant, my wife said "because they hadnt thought of it yet"

Ah, yes, but what you haven't yet realised about Kelpians is that <plot-contrivance> and <mcguffin>.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye well that was a mess. So many things wrong with. Did Discovery not raise its shields or were Osyras troops able to beam through them I wonder. The part on the planet I found boring. This whole episode really was a load of rubbish. Oh look Micheal and Book are going to somehow save the day in the next episode or two now then Tilly will be demoted and Micheal will become Captain. The explanation for the burn was rubbish. I really did get it hard to watch that full episode it was very tedious.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Again, bones of a good episode ruined by poor writing.

Burnham lecturing on objectivity? GTFO. Surely there was someone else who could have been picked for that.

Kelpian feotus randomly mutating to suit the environment? Gonna need more woo and mcguffins to accept that one.

Apparently Discovery's crew are too inept to consider cloaking when they're just sitting in the open. And in a time when everyone has personal transporters, each ship isn't equipped with some form of interference generator to stop people beaming in?

The exchange from Tilly does have precedence - in Season one when she pretended to be Captain Killy. So that's not bad writing.

• Advertisement

Continuity took a holiday near the end. Tilly hair back off her face then next shot it's almost covering her eyes, back behind her head again for next shot. Not sure if they are too bothered about quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

It’s a bit all over the place but Tilly isn’t the first acting captain to lose a ship. They’ll get it back and I assume somehow make her look competent, but still like the new slapstick character. She’s certainly no Janeway and almost as annoying as Neelix.

Seriously, couldn’t they have left one of the many, many competent crew members in charge? Detmer? Reno?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

there was extra whispering.

You got it in one. If S M-G is the best they can get to play "Michael Burnham", then they need to go back to Central Casting and ask for someone with actual acting talent. The whispering habit is the kind of thing they knock out of you in 1st year drama classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Michael saying Saru was unable to be subjective was as stupid as Abrams Kirk taking command of the Enterprise by saying Spock was too emotional.

At least Tilly, as number 1, was left in charge, unlike other ST series where all high ranking officers go on the away missions.

Stovepipe wrote: »

You got it in one. If S M-G is the best they can get to play "Michael Burnham", then they need to go back to Central Casting and ask for someone with actual acting talent. The whispering habit is the kind of thing they knock out of you in 1st year drama classes.

Warning. Bad joke/reference incoming.

Maybe she wants to rejoin Walking Dead as one of the Whisperers

• Advertisement

At least Doug Jones got a break from the make up chair for a couple of eps. Early Christmas present for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At least Doug Jones got a break from the make up chair for a couple of eps. Early Christmas present for him.
    That's always been a Star Trek trope to find some way to give any regular who's usually caked under make up some way to appear human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Tough time being a Star Trek and Star Wars fan with Discovery and the three latest Star Wars Movies. Really disappointing writing.

But then there's Lower Decks, Mandalorian and the final season of Clone Wars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Michael saying Saru was unable to be subjective was as stupid as Abrams Kirk taking command of the Enterprise by saying Spock was too emotional.

At least Tilly, as number 1, was left in charge, unlike other ST series where all high ranking officers go on the away missions.

First officer... no 1 isn’t a rank ffs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So they can last at most 4 hours before dying of radiation poisoning, the shields that protect the ship will take 3 hours to restore and noone thinks that maybe they should wait before going exploring?

And hands up who will be surprised when we (Burnham!) Discover that suck'all can't leave the planet since he has become one with dilithium and needs the radiation to live?
    I'm sure he will manage to have a nice dream that will fix all the other dilithium though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Number 1, came about from Naval operations, as the second in command of a Naval ship, ie, he or she is the First of the rest, as the Captain, by tradition in the RN, at least, is not a member of the wardroom because of his or her isolated position as the Captain (or Master) of the vessel and to this day, does not dine in the wardroom and technically,may not enter the wardroom except by invitation. In small ships, with no room for a seperate wardroom, the Captain will dine in the wardroom but he will have his own cabin. The Captain's day room or cabin is traditionally located close to the bridge. Also, as Star Trek tries to stick to tradition, the Captain is normally announced onto the bridge and visitors to the bridge normally ask permission to enter the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

They are clearly setting Saru up to fail and be usurped by Burnham. This is no way to treat a Star Trek Captain and the writers should be shot

While this is all feminist and woke etc, there's absolutely no need to undermine Saru and make him weak. Star Trek has nothing to prove to feminism, Kathryn Janeway was a great leader.

Micheal Burnham is a terrible character and I may be forced to stop watching when she overtakes Saru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

First officer... no 1 isn’t a rank ffs :)

Neither is first officer. :pac:

Stovepipe wrote: »

She goes for the oscar every time!

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think that was the best episode of the series so far and rather good, and I find myself in shock saying that. Or maybe the least worst episode ever. No, I did actually enjoy that episode maybe just because it kept my attention all the way though which would be a first for S3.

I thought both Tilly's scene during the stand off and Burnham's interaction with the Kelpien was rather good. Or maybe I have just lowered my standards. I think that's the first time they've gone on an away mission that it has grabbed my attention in the way Star Trek of old used to. Apart from the early scene with Tilly and Burnham it's the first time Burnham wasn't really annoying.

This series is so frustrating. The odd time I like it but most of the time I don't.

No. No.

Burnham was annoying. She was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    Neither is first officer. :pac:

Ensign then, which makes feck all sense having her in charge of the ship when there are more experienced crew left, right and centre.
    But who knows who any of them are because this series is doing a terrible job of introducing other members of the crew. The first season of any other Trek show would have all the regulars seem like regulars and not extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kowloon wrote: »
    Ensign then, which makes feck all sense having her in charge of the ship when there are more experienced crew left, right and centre.
    But who knows who any of them are because this series is doing a terrible job of introducing other members of the crew. The first season of any other Trek show would have all the regulars seem like regulars and not extras.

Maybe Saru doesn't know their names either and it was just easier and less socially awkward to pick Tilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭liamtech

i dont wanna become the stereotypical 'Angry Fan', who just continually posts vile opinions on it

That said, again im still kinda stunned by how bad this season is

There is NO re-watchability in most episodes (finding starfleet i did rewatch but thats it)
    There is no real engaging plot
    There are no characters who i care about, beyond an acknowledgement that Doug Jones is cool

The Plot is so contrived. Even if i had done the usual thing, and come up with theories on the burn, look where it ends up?

And why is this kid still alive? Im as decent/enlightened a trekkie as you will find

But 'Kid' gets upset/stressed, and using special (McGuffin) abilities, destroys large chunks of galactic civilization? And they are worried about him? Very simple solution here folks - The needs of the many, etc etc - Sukal look at that!!! What? SNAP

End

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Rawr

It's a bit of a mix, but the episode had some pretty good Trek elements, and for what was essentially a holodeck episode, they did a very good job. I wonder what set they borrowed this dream-sequence from? I say this because they hadn't bothered showing the interior of the Kelpian ship and I was curious to see the interior of a Starfleet / Federation vessel of the time...but we got nothing. I wonder if they got creative with the resources they had and made this nightmare holo-program out of stuff available at the studio, since I still feel that they overloaded the budget. Might also explain why we actually get Saru's actor without his makeup.

Seeing him without makeup also makes me fear that this is indeed Saru's end. The actor might have wanted at least one episode with his actual face, and they have already set up the precedent of crew members leaving when they encounter their own race. They toned down Michael in this one too, which helped at lot...but if she becomes Captain...I'm done. She's not Starfleet material, she's not captain material and if the producers think that passionate "loud-whispering" speeches at people is the same as captaining a starship, then I'll be unable to watch. Saru was an anchor that kept me watching, cast him off and you lose me as well.

FO Tilly is *alright* but I was disappointed with her banter with Oisyraa. Instead of owning the Conn and shooting Oisyraa down, she started back-talking her taunts and trying to throw them back at her. Didn't really feel like a good moment of Captaincy. Should have also withdrawn Discovery as soon as they knew a Chain vessel was approaching. Very stupid move which I don't understand beyond Tilly being crap at the job.

The ending cliffhanger does make me want to watch how this plays out. The "Ship under seige" plot is something we sometimes get in Trek and it's often good. I wonder how Discovery will do it....and can they manage it without Michael using her God-Mode cheat?

liamtech wrote: »
    And they are worried about him? Very simple solution here folks - The needs of the many, etc etc - Sukal look at that!!! What? SNAP

End

Unfortunately not. There'd be a scene where they all cried. They'd then do a toast thing where they would reminisce about him and mourn his passing, although they only knew him for an hour. The writers never miss this opportunity. It's their go to

'So, we done?'
    'Er, we're 3 minutes short'
    'Who's died this episode?' All writers look to each other and in unison...
    'MOURNING SCENE!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Rawr

Unfortunately not. There'd be a scene where they all cried. They'd then do a toast thing where they would reminisce about him and mourn his passing, although they only knew him for an hour. The writers never miss this opportunity. It's their go to

'So, we done?'
    'Er, we're 3 minutes short'
    'Who's died this episode?' All writers look to each other and in unison...
    'MOURNING SCENE!'

Saru: (Toasting) I remember when I first met Sukal...

Tilly: Sir....that was like....6 hours ago....

Saru: ....and that's why I remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

bilbot79 wrote: »
    ... Kathryn Janeway was a great leader.

ah, here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭liamtech

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Kathryn Janeway was a great leader.
    ah, here :D

Say what you want about Janeway, she would have sorted this by now

Arrives in 31st century, straight to earth
    Earth Leader: We are no longer in the federation
    [25 minutes later]
    Earth Leader: We pledge ourselves to Janway (grunt from behind), i mean, the Federation

Arrives at Starfleet Command

Admiral: We have no way to verify your story, so we cannot discuss classified Material
    Janeway: Can i speak to you alone for a moment
    [15 minutes later Admiral reappears bruised battered and concust]
    Admiral: Id like to announce that i have handed over command of the Galaxy, i mean, starfleet, to Supreme Chancellor and Fleet Admiral Janway

Encounters the Orions
    Orion Leader: Pah, Starfleet are no match for us!
    Orion Lackey: Commander theres an incoming private communication for you, from Starfleet
    [10 minutes later]
    Orion Leader: Ok guys iv been thinking of a change of Scenery, lets head to the Andromeda Galaxy, Maximum Slipstream
    Orion Lackey:But commander what about..
    Orion Leader: MAXIMUM SPEED PUT AS MUCH DISTANCE AS YOU CAN BETWEEN US AND THIS GALAXY, NOW, BEFORE SHE GETS HERE

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Saru destroyed as a character in one episode is pretty impressive, its been coming though. I thought captains no longer go on away missions after the TOS. The admiral allowing the ensign to be in command of the single most valuable piece of tech in the galaxy is phenomenal work.

You'd wonder why starfleet didn't actually just put a senior officer on board anyway given how valuable the ship is

Advertisement