Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pearl jam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The old Point was a classic venue. Always liked it there, I have to say. My first PJ gig was there (2006) so it'll always have a special place in my memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

I had a serious gra for the old Point, it wasn’t perfect but there was just something about it. My first visit there was for the WWF European Rampage in 88 or 89. First gig was the Foo’s and the Manics in 95 I think, first seen PJ there in 96

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Now, this could be absolute nonsense, and it is complete hearsay. But a fella I know has a strong indicator of why Pearl Jam haven't played in Dublin in an age. (Which coincides with the story of the security guard from above).

So, I was told the following theory by a man who runs one of Ireland's festivals and is pretty high up with one of the two main promotors.

Basically Pearl Jam have a grá for The Point/o2/3Arena. I don't know the mumbo here, but something like the sound travels in way that it didn't bleed with the monitors. They noted this at their sound checks for the 2000 gig. So for their more lengthy European tours that would see a sizable amount of songs played throughout, they leased out the Point for a day or two prior to the beginning of the tour leg as somewhere to run through songs ahead of the tour. And this is precisely what they did in 2006, and 2010.

The issue seems to stem from, and again this is speculation, but this lad tends to be spot on, is money.

The Pearl Jam people feel strongly about playing the Point. However for the cost of Pearl Jam, at 12,000 capacity, tickets would be crazy high, which Pearl Jam's management won't sanction. MCD have proposed one or two others (definitely Marley Park), but Pearl Jam's people reasonably enough said that logistically Dublin has to be the first stop. And any first stop has to be indoor. And so they find themselves at an impasse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Now, this could be absolute nonsense, and it is complete hearsay. But a fella I know has a strong indicator of why Pearl Jam haven't played in Dublin in an age. (Which coincides with the story of the security guard from above).

So, I was told the following theory by a man who runs one of Ireland's festivals and is pretty high up with one of the two main promotors.

Basically Pearl Jam have a grá for The Point/o2/3Arena. I don't know the mumbo here, but something like the sound travels in way that it didn't bleed with the monitors. They noted this at their sound checks for the 2000 gig. So for their more lengthy European tours that would see a sizable amount of songs played throughout, they leased out the Point for a day or two prior to the beginning of the tour leg as somewhere to run through songs ahead of the tour. And this is precisely what they did in 2006, and 2010.

The issue seems to stem from, and again this is speculation, but this lad tends to be spot on, is money.

The Pearl Jam people feel strongly about playing the Point. However for the cost of Pearl Jam, at 12,000 capacity, tickets would be crazy high, which Pearl Jam's management won't sanction. MCD have proposed one or two others (definitely Marley Park), but Pearl Jam's people reasonably enough said that logistically Dublin has to be the first stop. And any first stop has to be indoor. And so they find themselves at an impasse.

But they could just do two dates or three? Sure U2 played a string of dates there. Also Pearl Jam have no trouble playing outdoors anywhere else, and even multiple outdoor dates....so yea I don't buy it.

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Also Pearl Jam have no trouble playing outdoors anywhere else, and even multiple outdoor dates....so yea I don't buy it.

It's not playing outdoor, it's starting a European leg outdoor. Which they haven't done in the past 6 or 7 tour legs. You can't exactly hire an outdoor venue for a day or two to soundcheck before beginning a tour leg.

But ya, look. Each to their own. I certainly do trust his hypothesis though. The man has literally booked Pearl Jam before, so I can't see why he would say it if it wasn't essentially the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

It's not playing outdoor, it's starting a European leg outdoor. Which they haven't done in the past 6 or 7 tour legs. You can't exactly hire an outdoor venue for a day or two to soundcheck before beginning a tour leg.

But ya, look. Each to their own. I certainly do trust his hypothesis though. The man has literally booked Pearl Jam before, so I can't see why he would say it if it wasn't essentially the case.

Fair enough, but why not just do two dates indoors here?
    Also ticket prices makes no sense as Eddie has no trouble charging a hundred a head for his solo shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mushy wrote: »
    Sound was never good but still liked it as a venue. First one there was The Offspring in 2004. Think ozzy Osbourne may have been last one

Was at that same Offspring gig and was my first and only time at the old point and my first big indoor gig

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Fair enough, but why not just do two dates indoors here?
    Also ticket prices makes no sense as Eddie has no trouble charging a hundred a head for his solo shows.

Mate, I have no idea. Just sharing with fans what I heard off a very reliable source.

Although to hazard a guess, if Vedder tickets were well north of €100, you'd imagine the bands would be significantly above that again. And it doesn't matter how many shows you put on, they won't sell if the price is considered too high.

Also worth noting Vedder did not book his tour with Pearl Jam's people/management and also he did not even use Pearl Jam's previous Irish promoter.

But again, I have no idea. Just sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

MCD should just swallow their pride and sanction the Point* for 2 nights.

What other indoor venue would be suitable here?

* Or the 023 as I know of somebody who called it that, given that it was the 02 and now officially 3 Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

fluke wrote: »
    * Or the 023 as I know of somebody who called it that, given that it was the 02 and now officially 3 Arena.

I've heard it called the three point oh two :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Talk about milking the ****e out of merch

2020 ROME 12/19 STREAMING EVENT BLANKET

https://shop.pearljam.com/collections/stream/products/2020-rome-12-19-streaming-event-blanket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ha, we just bought that blanket. We were at the last Rome gig so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Talk about milking the ****e out of merch

2020 ROME 12/19 STREAMING EVENT BLANKET

https://shop.pearljam.com/collections/stream/products/2020-rome-12-19-streaming-event-blanket

Can be perceived like that alright.
    But sometimes we overthink these things. At the end of the day, it's just a harmless product put out into the market. If people are willing to buy it then so be it. It's up to them - nobody is forcing their hand.
    I know sometimes there's a notion of "selling out" with these things. But I don't narrow it into parameters like that. If I knew a product that would sell and make me profits, I'd have it straight on to the Net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Anyone know if the full Howard Stern interview with Eddie is online in video anywhere from last month?

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Anyone know if the full Howard Stern interview with Eddie is online in video anywhere from last month?

I heard it on Sirius with a free trial.

sparrowcar wrote: »

I have the audio of the whole show if you want I'll post a link tomorrow. Pm me if you want it or if anyone wants it.

Here is the show if anyone wants it

http://sendanywhe.re/3T65TUDZ

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

London based tribute band has received letters from Pearl Jam's lawyers:

https://twitter.com/Pearljammband/status/1351160820659531781?s=20

Maybe Pearl Jem got same letter? Their social media seems to be hidden currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

No arguments with that tbh... A band called Pearl Jamm, selling merch and trading off the original band....they released a tweet or 2 and the tide is against them from what I've seen

finhex wrote: »
    London based tribute band has received letters from Pearl Jam's lawyers:

https://twitter.com/Pearljammband/status/1351160820659531781?s=20

Maybe Pearl Jem got same letter? Their social media seems to be hidden currently.

Pearl Jem changed their name a while ago. Called "Light Years" now.

https://www.facebook.com/lightyearscelebrate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Pearl Jem changed their name a while ago. Called "Light Years" now.

https://www.facebook.com/lightyearscelebrate

Thanks! Their FB says that "we have worked with Pearl Jam on choosing our new name and will be continuing to celebrate their wonderful music when we will see you at a show in 2021".

So they decided to follow instructions from Pearl Jam lawyers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

finhex wrote: »
    So they decided to follow instructions from Pearl Jam lawyers :)

Whereas Pearl Jamm are being dicks about it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

No arguments with that tbh... A band called Pearl Jamm, selling merch and trading off the original band....they released a tweet or 2 and the tide is against them from what I've seen

Ya, I am pretty sure Pearl Jamm were selling gear with 'PJ' on it. In Pearl Jam recognised fonts and logos.

Also, of our course the band have given legal remit to their people, all bands too, what sort of company has every decision analysed by the band. Sure nothing would get done. They don't sit in on the minutes of each meeting or legal matter like. Even worse from the forums is that some people seem to think that the band are sitting on their computers going "F*** these guys, and these, and, oh, better sue them too!", which is laughable.

That said I wish the Pearl Jamm guys all the best. Sincerely to play in a tribute act requires an heighten amount of fandom. But they need to divorce their emotions from this. Like the Pearl Jem lads were in the same boat a few months ago and just went "Ah ya, fair enough."

Ya, I am pretty sure Pearl Jamm were selling gear with 'PJ' on it. In Pearl Jam recognised fonts and logos.

Also, of our course the band have given legal remit to their people, all bands too, what sort of company has every decision analysed by the band. Sure nothing would get done. They don't sit in on the minutes of each meeting or legal matter like. Even worse from the forums is that some people seem to think that the band are sitting on their computers going "F*** these guys, and these, and, oh, better sue them too!", which is laughable.

That said I wish the Pearl Jamm guys all the best. Sincerely to play in a tribute act requires an heighten amount of fandom. But they need to divorce their emotions from this. Like the Pearl Jem lads were in the same boat a few months ago and just went "Ah ya, fair enough."

Yep. I mean, having a tribute band with one extra letter added to the end is a bit much anyway. I don't think you'd get away with calling your tribute band "Led Zeppelinn" or "Metallicaa" for example. Surprised they've gotten away with it for this long!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Thats about all the band are good for in the last few years .....

P€arl J£m ........

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Thats about all the band are good for in the last few years .....

P€arl J£m ........

We get it man. Change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We get it man. Change the record.

Side A or Side B ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

So Pearl Jamm have went the arsey route and renamed themselves....

Legal Jam

• Advertisement

Behaving like spoilt brats, to be honest

Advertisement