Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Banks are a joke: I'm closing my Irish bank account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    alternatives maybe, cryptos, digital only platforms etc

But they're also cashless systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

But they're also cashless systems?

true, but id say the cryptos would plough on, as theyre not under central bank rules, digital platforms probably are under the rules though. you d be surprised what people would do if you told them, we re charging you to hold your money, id say millions went elsewhere when it was introduced on large deposits

true, but id say the cryptos would plough on, as theyre not under central bank rules, digital platforms probably are under the rules though. you d be surprised what people would do if you told them, we re charging you to hold your money, id say millions went elsewhere when it was introduced on large deposits

And the use of krypto would not be acknowledged by banks if it can't be monitored.

And the use of krypto would not be acknowledged by banks if it can't be monitored.

would people really care about that?

would people really care about that?

The banks that control the playing field certainly would.
    You can't get a loan or mortgage in krypto.

• Advertisement

The banks that control the playing field certainly would.
    You can't get a loan or mortgage in krypto.

ah shur all banks control the playing field, we ve allowed them to, we can take back some sort of control over our monetary systems though, and i think the explosion of cryptos is a sign of people wanting that, but you d be surprised of the amount of people dont understand how they work.

of give it time, those crypto folks will figure it out, peer to peer lending has begun in some countries, it allows people to loan money to each other, directly, digitally, but im sure it has limitations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

deandean wrote: »
    The only cash I have used in the last few months is a 2 Euro coin for a shopping trolley.
    Hah !

A two pence piece works just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bitcoin is the future.

Bitcoin is the future.

ah hard to tell, it certainly isnt a currency just yet, way too volatile

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Take it all out and put it under your mattress, nobody will charge you and you can sleep all night safe in the knowledge that you'll never have to pay for an ATM transaction again.

I'm not charged for ATM transactions mate. You are. That's my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Needed cash for kids birthday party (in a park today), had to drive home to get my debit card as use my phone for contactless for everything. Used a Euronet ATM (no charges). First time I've used an ATM all year I think.

No longer have an old school bank account, only n26 and Revolut.

Nice, so there are alternatives if you're living in Ireland. Although, I probably wouldn't trust Revolut yet with large sums of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Wombatman wrote: »
    If you have more than €100,000 on deposit with a retail bank, you deserve to lose your money

Tough crowd here I must say.

Online banks like N26 are great. Very secure and no fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

I'm old enough to remember getting a brown pay packet with my wages in cash. Nothing like that feeling at the end of the week with a bulging wage packet in your pocket. I remember being paid a once off payment to receive my wages by check. Then in later years another payment to open a bank account and get it paid straight in to the bank. There were a few old timers who held out and told us it was a slippery slope and we would regret it. Now I'm the old timer and realise it's too late. They have us all by the balls now.

ah hard to tell, it certainly isnt a currency just yet, way too volatile
    True enough, although when you see the likes of paypal getting involved it looks promising. I bought a bit on Coinbase back at the start of the pandemic.

I'm old enough to remember getting a brown pay packet with my wages in cash. Nothing like that feeling at the end of the week with a bulging wage packet in your pocket. I remember being paid a once of payment to receive my wages by check. Then in later years another payment to open a bank account and get it paid straight in to the bank. There were a few old timers who held out and told us it was a slippery slope and we would regret it. Now I'm the old timer and realise it's too late. They have us all by the balls now.
    I remember the little brown envelope with the pay slip. Before everyone had an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Ah yes the 'I was earning 50 dollars an hour in the mines' d1ckheads. Great and all but a beer costs 10 dollars in a pub you tool.

Pity they're all back now. Shame they didn't stay out there on the farms driving GPS controlled tractors

50 Aus is currently €31.10
    10 Aus is €6.22

So getting €31 per hour and beer is €6, have you seen prices in Dublin pubs, how many people are making €31 an hour here? That's €64,688 a year

I get there's clowns but Jesus that's some bitterness and a terrible attempt at a put down

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

j4vier wrote: »
    It's not just about taxes though. A cashless society means the banks have full control of people's finances which means if for whatever reason accounts get frozen ( legal, IT glitches etc) you could lose everything and/or won't have access to it for periods of time.

Sci fi stuff for some people but looking at what has been happening in the world this year, is it really that improbable?
    ^
    This.

You all of a sudden become 100% dependent on companies and institutions to have access to what is yours... that is MEGA dangerous....if an older person lives alone, looses their wallet, what the fûck can they do ? It will take about 10 days until they have a card and pin both mailed separately ...

One of us by accident looses our wallet, robbed of it at knife point ? What then ?

Cash is one of the foundations of a true and free society, a democracy....

I go inter railing, card gets chewed in a malfunctioning ATM ? I’m not due home for 3 weeks, how do I get food and accommodation ? Or enjoy the rest of my trip ?

Fûck all these headcases wanting a cashless society. If they don’t want to use cash themselves, simply don’t use cash.. they can swipe their cards wherever they like....

Cash should be here to stay, IS here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Hah !

A two pence piece works just as well

Hah!

I'm cashless. I use a 3d printed thingy that I can remove from the trolley. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

How come you can only check your balance at proprietary ATMs in Ireland, ie AIB cards in AIB machines. And AIB customers cannot check available balance in other ATMS.

In contrast to this, you can usually check your balance at any ATM in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

To all the posters who replied to my post saying I was in favour of a cashless society..

I agree fully with many of the concerns that are raised about it. They're all valid. I wouldn't switch over to a cashless society today leaving the infrastructure in its current condition, that would be lunacy. There would need to be all sorts of checks and balances and ways to guarantee your money is safe and accessible to the customer, not vulnerable to political influence, domestically or internationally etc.

There are major hurdles to it ever being realised, and at present seems like it could only exist in some fantasy Utopia. But. I still like the idea.

China is pretty much cashless and it looks like Sweden is going in the same direction. Hopefully we don't adopt the Chinese social credit system. That would be a disaster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

ratracer wrote: »
    Surely the kid has a Revolut account on his/her phone??

I wish....sooner we phase out the €5 note as a present and move to electronic transfers the better....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

parc wrote: »
    I'm not charged for ATM transactions mate. You are. That's my point.

No I am not - I hardly ever use an ATM or cash and if I do, I go to AIB/BOI/Ulster/etc. So I don't get charged.

Also in Australia, you had to go to your own bank ATM or they absolutely FLEECED you with $1-2 for the transaction.

Also - I'm not your mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

deandean wrote: »
    The only cash I have used in the last few months is a 2 Euro coin for a shopping trolley.
    Use a UK 2p coin works everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

hurikane wrote: »
    I now get great enjoyment of hearing how great Oz is and what a sh1thole Ireland is.

*looks out the window at the sun shining on the swimming pool*

Yeah who'd want to live in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

TK Lemon wrote: »
    How come you can only check your balance at proprietary ATMs in Ireland, ie AIB cards in AIB machines. And AIB customers cannot check available balance in other ATMS.

In contrast to this, you can usually check your balance at any ATM in the UK.

GDPR :D:D:D:D

kidding - it's usually the default answer to everything.

Up to 3 years ago you couldn't check a balance on a Natwest account from a Barclays machine, but could on many independent machines and I'd guess its because the independent machines will link you to your account directly whereas the others use the visa/mastercard system for checking is an available balance it there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

True enough, although when you see the likes of paypal getting involved it looks promising. I bought a bit on Coinbase back at the start of the pandemic.

Dont use coinbase. They randomly lock accounts and because their customer service team apparently consists of 3 people scatterred somewhere in India most accounts get locked for months or weeks at a time. Look at their subreddit. Nearly every post is how bad the customer service is - There is no way to get hold of a real person. Its all bots.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wombatman wrote: »
    Lithuanian deposit guarantee scheme protects up to €100k.

If you have more than €100,000 on deposit with a retail bank, you deserve to lose your money.

https://thebanks.eu/banks/18978/deposit_guarantee

Other issues are companies accepting non irish IBANs for direct debits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Feck the cashless society. Can't believe people still think it's a good idea given what happened in 2008

Advertisement