Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Banks are a joke: I'm closing my Irish bank account

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Whoever starts up the Irish version of Monzo,Starling N26,Revolut etc will become a multimillionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Its always a shocker to Irish people that German banks needed to be bailed out.

But they did. And their scandals were far far worse ..and are still ongoing.

yup, germanys private sector banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wanderer78 wrote: »

thats interesting, no mention of germanys public banks, sparkasse and kfw! id imagine most, if not all you mentioned, are in fact germanys private sector banks!
    Yeah no sorry ..public banks in germany got bailed out too KFW and IKB.

KFW owned IKB ..IKB went under ...got bailed out. Then KFW got bailed out.

the Sparkassen also got a bailout in all but name.

They owned the landesbanken which was about to fail...so they sold their stake in it to the German govt ....and then the tax payer bore the brunt of the fail

FRANKFURT WestLB was another public german bank that got a bailout.

Yeah no sorry ..public banks in germany got bailed out too KFW and IKB.

KFW owned IKB ..IKB went under ...got bailed out. Then KFW got bailed out.

the Sparkassen also got a bailout in all but name.

They owned the landesbanken which was about to fail...so they sold their stake in it to the German govt ....and then the tax payer bore the brunt of the fail

was unware of those bailouts, can you link me, thank you? i still advocate for public banks though, ive researched enough on them now, even though i do realize theyre just as vulnerable as private sector banks

yup, germanys private sector banks!
    And the public ones just as much my friend.;)

Sparkassen especially.

• Advertisement

was unware of those bailouts, can you link me, thank you? i still advocate for public banks though, ive researched enough on them now, even though i do realize theyre just as vulnerable as private sector banks
    I have nothing against public sector banks.
    Sure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2017/10/24/the-wondrous-german-public-sector-banks-arent-all-they-are-cracked-up-to-be/

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/business/worldbusiness/08cnd-west.html

https://www.ft.com/content/b90e3848-fe9a-427e-8a17-3facd01ff4be

Sparkassen is not really an actual bank by the way ..its a term for a type of bank

Its a system.

I have nothing against public sector banks.
    Sure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2017/10/24/the-wondrous-german-public-sector-banks-arent-all-they-are-cracked-up-to-be/

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/08/business/worldbusiness/08cnd-west.html

Sparkassen is not really an actual bank by the way ..its a term for a type of bank

Its a system.

ah i ll go with my resources, which call it a public bank, including a sparkasse ceo, but i think ireland should start with a public infrastructure bank similar to kfw, as scotland just has

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

Fleeced is the word with Australian bank's. Just had a look at my old bank in Oz. ANZ. For a personal loan there is an 150 AUD application fee, 10aud monthly loan admin fee and then 300 if you have the audacity to pay it off early.

None of that with Irish bank's

ah i ll go with my resources, which call it a public bank, including a sparkasse ceo, but i think ireland should start with a public infrastructure bank similar to kfw, as scotland just has
    Savings banks in german speaking countries are called a sparkasse

Their are 400 separate instutions in germany that are sparkassen.
    Savings banks in German-speaking countries are called Sparkasse (pl: Sparkassen)

You have Sparkasse Schwyz etc its a regional swiss bank ..because there are sparkassen in switzerland because they speak german ..but these sparkassen have nothing to do with sparkassen in germany.

Savings banks in german speaking countries are called a sparkasse

Their are 400 separate instutions in germany that are sparkassen.

You have Sparkasse Schwyz etc ..because there are sparkassen in switzerland because they speak german ..but these sparkassen have nothing to do with sparkassen in germany.

im aware of germans sparkasse, ive been researching this a long time now, sparkasse members were here giving talks after 08, explaining their system, im sold, but im aware, all financial institutions are problematic, public and private

• Advertisement

im aware of germans sparkasse, ive been researching this a long time now, sparkasse members were here giving talks after 08, explaining their system, im sold, but im aware, all financial institutions are problematic, public and private
    interesting :)

interesting :)

always good to learn more though, from people such as yourself

always good to learn more though, from people such as yourself
    Sure you have taught me just as much i would say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I just have an ebs account (which is free), and use revolut and monese. I don't have to pay any pesky fees.

Currently in the process of switching to EBS because they're free, they are the last bank in Ireland not to charge customers for day to day banking. This site gives a good comparison of charges across all the different banks and EBS wins hands down everytime
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money-tools/current-account-comparison/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

cheerio OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

deandean wrote: »
    The only cash I have used in the last few months is a 2 Euro coin for a shopping trolley.

The Cancer Society will give you a key ring with €1 and €2 sized pieces. Now I’m never short (but that’s because I’m 6’5”).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Cash back is usually no fees. I do that mostly when in need of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fleeced is the word with Australian bank's. Just had a look at my old bank in Oz. ANZ. For a personal loan there is an 150 AUD application fee, 10aud monthly loan admin fee and then 300 if you have the audacity to pay it off early.

None of that with Irish bank's

But that's for a loan. You don't need a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    When I worked in England, the bank charges were a lot higher than here. Particularly if you went overdrawn or had a cheque or direct debit bounced on you.

Not sure what is like now but it always amuses me to see people like the OP who think it should be free. Why should any business offer its services for free? Does the OP work for free?

I agree in principle, and caveat emptor. But they have the use of your money while they are holding it on your behalf. That is not a thing of no value, especially if you have large deposits.

Irish banks pay little to no interest, while constantly and consistently increasing charges to consumers. They have the market to themselves with a small number of players and they doubtless conspire to ensure no one steps out of line. Like the insurance industry, it's a cartel that isn't a cartel.

The EU, while it has overstepped in other areas, should prioritise being able to bank with any financial institution in the Eurozone (and mandate your salary for example, to a French bank) without additional charges, should the institution provide that service. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

sdanseo wrote: »
    The EU, while it has overstepped in other areas, should prioritise being able to bank with any financial institution in the Eurozone (and mandate your salary for example, to a French bank) without additional charges, should the institution provide that service. Period.

What is stopping you from doing so? There are many Eurozone banks that would gladly passport to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

My credit union have written to tell me that they no longer want my money! But they do want me to take out a car loan.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement