Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Banks are a joke: I'm closing my Irish bank account

Options
  • 19-12-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Mods, before you move this to banking/finance, hear me out. I think this is relevant to all and the more people who discuss this the better.

This news story about BoI selling its 700 ATMs to Euronet, which will more than likely mean that there will be 700 more cash machines around the country charging you to take you money out.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185359-700-bank-of-ireland-non-branch-atms-sold-to-euronet/

I live abroad where there are no chargers like this. It's a complete joke the way Irish banks treat their customers, and I can't believe people put up with it.

I have decided to close my Irish bank account because of this (I'll let you guess which one it is - it's one of the main ones).

How can the taxpayers bail out failed banks, then sit back while they charge them quarterly fees to deposit their money, and take out their money from ATMs. I would encourage people to figure out alternative means, as it shouldn't be like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭ratracer

You don’t live here, so your closing your bank account here....... Good man!

Meanwhile, this of us living and working here still need a bank account here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Now everyone let's move to the utopia of a cashless society. Make no mistake it's their money, they just lend it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

The only cash I have used in the last few months is a 2 Euro coin for a shopping trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

parc wrote: »
    I live abroad where there are no chargers like this. It's a complete joke the way Irish banks treat their customers, and I can't believe people put up with it.

I have decided to close my Irish bank account because of this (I'll let you guess which one it is - it's one of the main ones).

How can the taxpayers bail out failed banks, then sit back while they charge them quarterly fees to deposit their money, and take out their money from ATMs. I would encourage people to figure out alternative means, as it shouldn't be like this.

You live abroad and are getting free withdrawals which the rest of up pay for in other charges.

Banks were not bailed out. the Banking system was bailed out. The alternative was to wipe out all deposits over the guaranteed level.

Please close your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Cashless society.... I'm actually in favour of it, if the data is managed appropriately. There are too many people operating on the black or grey markets, cash in hand, earning money while in receipt of welfare payments etc. It's not fair to those who work and pay their taxes. I know cashless isn't a perfect system either, and i'm not against anybody earning extra money or finding ways to legally avoid tax, but evasion just costs everybody else more in the long run. I know there's also the argument that "most people only pay their taxes because it's automatically taken from them" and that's probably true, so I'm not soapboxing either.

Back on thread... I am with Bank of Ireland. Considering moving, but not sure who to - suggestions and whys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

This is old news, weren't the ATMs sold earlier this year?

And in the Canaries, all bank ATMs charge a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

“ Euronet does not levy any charges for Irish debit cardholders taking out cash in euros from Euronet ATMs in Ireland”

https://www.euronetatms.ie/

Bank charges are a separate issue to ATM operators charging for withdrawals.

Now, I’m sure you can speculate that maybe they’ll bring in charges in the future, but that’s true for the banks or anyone else who runs ATMs too, so this situation doesn’t make it any more or less likely.

Closing your Irish bank account is obviously your prerogative, but since you’re bringing up your specific reason for doing it, it would appear that you’ve done so on the back of a lot of ifs and buts, rather than facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

Im with the OP. I used to keep my old Irish account alive but the fees they have are outrageous when compared with other countries. No the mention when the government start dipping their hands in your pocket for the "privilage" of having a debit card.

How do these new online banks compare with the traditional ones in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

galway_lad wrote: »
    Im with the OP. I used to keep my old Irish account alive but the fees they have are outrageous when compared with other countries. No the mention when the government start dipping their hands in your pocket for the "privilage" of having a debit card.

How do these new online banks compare with the traditional ones in Ireland?

Been with kbc 3 years now after moving from aib and ptsb. Zero problems with them in that time. Used to be 24hr customer service but now its 8am-11pm due to covid. No fees if lodging 2000 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Cashless society.... I'm actually in favour of it, if the data is managed appropriately. There are too many people operating on the black or grey markets, cash in hand, earning money while in receipt of welfare payments etc. It's not fair to those who work and pay their taxes. I know cashless isn't a perfect system either, and i'm not against anybody earning extra money or finding ways to legally avoid tax, but evasion just costs everybody else more in the long run. I know there's also the argument that "most people only pay their taxes because it's automatically taken from them" and that's probably true, so I'm not soapboxing either.

Back on thread... I am with Bank of Ireland. Considering moving, but not sure who to - suggestions and whys?

That's ok now in a fairly democratic society, but if that changes in the future being cashless will give them extra control over the population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I left bank of Ireland 12 year ago. I’m not joking ask anyone in Thurles, the staff in their branch resembled and acted like the hotel workers in Home Alone 2. Very rude people who’d look down builders, plumbers, painters.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Living abroad and going on about taxpayers bailing out banks.

The best thing about the recession was, all the patriots that headed off and abandoned the country. The thicker they were, the further they went. Small villages were purged of all the idiots, I relished seeing them heading off, hoping they wouldn’t return. I now get great enjoyment of hearing how great Oz is and what a sh1thole Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

deandean wrote: »
    The only cash I have used in the last few months is a 2 Euro coin for a shopping trolley.

Same, only used a 1 euro coin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

gipi wrote: »
    This is old news, weren't the ATMs sold earlier this year?

And in the Canaries, all bank ATMs charge a fee

Not true, if you use your banks atm, there is no fee. Granted its getting much harder to find your banks atm, as they are closing most of them, but by christ do you pay if you cross over atm machines. La caxia charged me 10%, bbva was 6% and increased I think for anything over 100€. These new companies that are springing up everywhere with atm machines are massively expensive, don't know how much as I have never used them, but just hear everyone complaining about the charge. It is disgusting to think of the charges, as I pay around 300 a year per account just to handle my transactions, moved a lot of my dealings to revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

hurikane wrote: »
    Living abroad and going on about taxpayers bailing out banks.

The best thing about the recession was, all the patriots that headed off and abandoned the country. The thicker they were, the further they went. Small villages were purged of all the idiots, I relished seeing them heading off, hoping they wouldn’t return. I now get great enjoyment of hearing how great Oz is and what a sh1thole Ireland is.

Ah yes the 'I was earning 50 dollars an hour in the mines' d1ckheads. Great and all but a beer costs 10 dollars in a pub you tool.

Pity they're all back now. Shame they didn't stay out there on the farms driving GPS controlled tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

It's not just about taxes though. A cashless society means the banks have full control of people's finances which means if for whatever reason accounts get frozen ( legal, IT glitches etc) you could lose everything and/or won't have access to it for periods of time.

Sci fi stuff for some people but looking at what has been happening in the world this year, is it really that improbable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Mods, before you move this to banking/finance, hear me out. I think this is relevant to all and the more people who discuss this the better.

This news story about BoI selling its 700 ATMs to Euronet, which will more than likely mean that there will be 700 more cash machines around the country charging you to take you money out.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185359-700-bank-of-ireland-non-branch-atms-sold-to-euronet/

Had the misfortune of using one yesterday. Maximum €40 withdrawal, I needed €200. 5 withdrawals, wonder how much I’ll be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

j4vier wrote: »
    It's not just about taxes though. A cashless society means the banks have full control of people's finances which means if for whatever reason accounts get frozen ( legal, IT glitches etc) you could lose everything and/or won't have access to it for periods of time.

Sci fi stuff for some people but looking at what has been happening in the world this year, is it really that improbable?

Very true, I was with Santander and I know this sounds untrue, but unfortunately it is not. A guy went in to the branch, he had the same first name as me, don't know what he wanted but the girl mistook him for me and gave him my account details to log in online. Obviously they could not access it with out my passwords so she went about resetting all my log in details. I was out of the country at the time, all my cards got blocked, no access to my online banking, had my wife's cards so we were ok, but without that I was screwed. It took almost 1 month for the bank to get everything sorted, they messed up so many times during this, passing me off to different customer services, different departments, they had full control of my financial life, with cards blocked, direct debit cancelled an absolute mess. Showed me first hand how important cash in the hand was, and to have other options ready if one fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Had the misfortune of using one yesterday. Maximum €40 withdrawal, I needed €200. 5 withdrawals, wonder how much I’ll be charged.

Insane

It's kind of weird and funny reading the comments defending banks and having a go at me for leaving Ireland.

"Oh why don't you pi** of back to wherever you f*cked off to."

How is that relevant? What I'm saying is, the banks are charging you money, for something you shouldn't be charged for, based on how it is in other countries. All this after 2008

There are alternatives surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Cashless society is a bad idea. Some people don't have bank accounts and don't want them.

People working on the black market isn't a good enough idea on it's own to ban the use of cash.

Tax evasion is a system wide issue and the use of bank accounts won't stop this issue. You'll find that super wealthy people are just as likely to evade tax in some way than some lad doing a few nixers cash in hand. It's not right but we're talking small change for the lads working cash in hand. Offshoring money has become an industry and is encouraged and facilitated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is this the modern day equivalent of announcing that you’re closing your Facebook account?

It's kind of weird and funny reading the comments defending banks and having a go at me for leaving Ireland.

"Oh why don't you pi** of back to wherever you f*cked off to."

How is that relevant? What I'm saying is, the banks are charging you money, for something you shouldn't be charged for, based on how it is in other countries. All this after 2008

There are alternatives surely?

There is a simple solution. Use your credit union account. No fees.

silver2020 wrote: »
    You live abroad and are getting free withdrawals which the rest of up pay for in other charges.

Banks were not bailed out. the Banking system was bailed out. The alternative was to wipe out all deposits over the guaranteed level.

Please close your account.

Did you mean to type "us"?

It's not just withdrawal fees. It's also current account fees per quarter and more

For example:

Automated Transactions (Direct Debit/ Standing Orders) 20c.
    ATM withdrawals 35c
    Machine Lodgements 35c
    Cheque Processing 39c
    Debit Card Transaction 20c
    Over the Counter Transaction 39c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

deandean wrote: »

I've actually done the complete opposite. I'm more determined now to use cash than before.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I've actually done the complete opposite. I'm more determined now to use cash than before.

It will certainly reduce fees. You will still need a bank account to have it paid in to but cash is still king

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

j4vier wrote: »

Not to mention the implementation of negative interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did you mean to type "us"?

It's not just withdrawal fees. It's also current account fees per quarter and more

For example:

Automated Transactions (Direct Debit/ Standing Orders) 20c.
    ATM withdrawals 35c
    Machine Lodgements 35c
    Cheque Processing 39c
    Debit Card Transaction 20c
    Over the Counter Transaction 39c

How do banks abroad make a profit if none of them charge for any service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Been with kbc 3 years now after moving from aib and ptsb. Zero problems with them in that time. Used to be 24hr customer service but now its 8am-11pm due to covid. No fees if lodging 2000 a month

I tried twice to open a bank account with them. Never actually did they manage to open the account so I gave up. If they aren't bothered to take my business then I'll go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Not to mention the implementation of negative interest rates.

Banks are charging more fees so they don't need to charge you for negative interest. PR wise that would be a disaster. People would close accounts in droves to avoid it. Yet extra fees are largely ignored.

Advertisement