Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

marcos_94 wrote: »
    So when I brought my M3 in from the UK a few months ago, I kept the full V5C minus a section which the seller sent off to the DVLA marking it for export. So the V5C I had was in the sellers name. You bring the V5C to the NCT centre during the VRT appointment and then after paying VRT and paying for road tax, you get your Irish logbook.

I just checked the old UK reg numebr and you can see its marked for export in the attached image

LOL, I love the look on some sellers faces when you explain this to them - so many times they thought I was trying to scam them.

"No, really, you give the V5 to me and just send that little scrap to the DVLA"

"Yeah, right, mate, not falling for that one...", etc. :)

If the export flag has been set, then it only needs to be NOVA'ed if its brought back to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

LOL, I love the look on some sellers faces when you explain this to them - so many times they thought I was trying to scam them.

"No, really, you give the V5 to me and just send that little scrap to the DVLA"

"Yeah, right, mate, not falling for that one...", etc. :)

If the export flag has been set, then it only needs to be NOVA'ed if its brought back to the UK.

My favourite reaction was buying a car in England a couple of years.
    'Oh I that was for if it's exported 'abroad, abroad' out of the UK, not to Ireland'. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cheensbo wrote: »
    wait until the car's next birthday and it'll be €200
    Except by the time it turns 30 Brexit may have turned UK imports on their head so it could be a good deal more. Be a brave person buys now hoping to register a vintage in the new year with no real idea what way things are going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

A few from London this week

50647882466_faac72fe48_c.jpg

50647882516_9d7a38daed_c.jpg

50669504442_b6e1387ba1_c.jpg

50680485911_218b906c5d_c.jpg

50680560642_36a6351128_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

A few from London this week

50669504442_b6e1387ba1_c.jpg
    My very first car. Death trap, petrol tank leaked directly onto exhaust, doors used to burst open going around corners. But still, rose coloured glasses and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

535185.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The 1700D badge suggests a diesel.

What engine would that be?

I don't think I ever saw that model before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

elperello wrote: »

I haven't either....also oddly enough, a reg check shows it as a 1.6 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There was an Opel 1.7l diesel alright at the time, but not available in most jurisdictions. The main diesel was the 2.3l. Remember it was so big they had to use a bulge on the bonnet? :p

opel_rekord_limousine_4_turig_92.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

The D could be an add on maybe?, it's not the same size font and isn't aesthetically spaced,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

When did Vauxhall stop being a make in Ireland? I'm pretty sure it was before 1979.

cml387 wrote: »
    When did Vauxhall stop being a make in Ireland? I'm pretty sure it was before 1979.

I think it was mid '80's -ish? The result of a survey GM did here i think. Seems we preferred the idea of german build quality to british imperialism. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I think it was mid '80's -ish? The result of a survey GM did here i think. Seems we preferred the idea of german build quality to british imperialism. lol.

Did a bit of digging on that.
    There were two Opel factories in Ireland in the 1960's - which would have sold Opel branded cars. Looks like the Kadett & Rekord would have been Opel from back then, and the Vauxhall (imported) cars were all Opel by the 1980's.

Not sure if there was a period between the 1960's and 1980's where it was 100% Vauxhall.

Testacalda wrote: »
    The D could be an add on maybe?, it's not the same size font and isn't aesthetically spaced,
    cml387 wrote: »

She is an import after 1986.

Maybe someone put an Isuzu diesel in and stuck the badge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I haven't either....also oddly enough, a reg check shows it as a 1.6 petrol.

I had one of those in '79. It was a 1600L and as far as I know they never made that car with a diesel engine. Very few cars were diesel back then. Might have a diesel in it now.

She is an import after 1986.

Maybe someone put an Isuzu diesel in and stuck the badge on.

Wasn’t the Isuzu diesel just a GM engine anyway?

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Wasn’t the Isuzu diesel just a GM engine anyway?

Isuzu built the first 1.7 engine and then joined forces with GM to develop the one that was used in later Cavaliers.

They were well thought of at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Forgot about these, all from the last week or so ;

IMG-20201210-230340.jpg

IMG-20201210-230247.jpg

IMG-20201210-231749.jpg

And this one in Harrods yesterday;

IMG-20201209-WA0010.jpg

Isuzu built the first 1.7 engine and then joined forces with GM to develop the one that was used in later Cavaliers.

That makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    4XMNrBq.jpg

eACozf2.jpg

• Advertisement

Was the lettering on the back supposed to say something more? Did the owner get tired half way through and say "ah, feck it"?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That doesn't look like a Mercedes, which is what those plates correspond to. late-60's/early 70's mustang...

Igotadose wrote: »
    That doesn't look like a Mercedes, which is what those plates correspond to. late-60's/early 70's mustang...

comes back correctly on cartell - Ford Mustang 5.0 - "left hand drive"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

comes back correctly on cartell - Ford Mustang 5.0 - "left hand drive"

Ahh. I was looking on 'carsireland.' Different databases I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

The Isuzu engine wasn't/isn't bad. They were using a version of it up until recently. They might still be using it.

I had a 92 Vectra with the 1.7 non turbo Opel engine. Hands down the slowest car I ever owned. Very good on juice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

They had a habit of snapping timing belts. And as you say, glacier like acceleration

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Wednesday morning on Rochestown Avenue:

536368.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A brace of Triumphs near Killaloe:

IMG-20201215-143314.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Even the garage location looks the period.
    Along with the gas bottles, pity the modern car was parked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Delete if not allowed.

Dad keeps sending me certain pics from this Facebook page in Galway. Loads of vintage cars and tractors.

https://m.facebook.com/South-Galway-Vintage-Club-154302731297431/photos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Advertisement