Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Perez is grand and around average. He will be better then Albon, but not that much better than Albon.

I think Checo had a really good season and he seems demonstrably better than Albon, though the proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for Sergio Perez. I think him and Max will be a good team should keep each other on edge and competitive too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm interested in seeing what insights Perez can bring to car development.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Red Bull now have the strongest driver pairing in FY 21.

At least RedBull have the balls to have two really strong drivers unlike Merc.

Really hope the strategy options it will give RedBull will make for an exciting championship as this year was a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Inquitus wrote: »
    Gonna be really interesting to see how Checo stacks up against Max next year, will really be a chance to gauge them both, also if Checo performs better than Albon and consistently inserts himself into the battle for the top 4 in the race as well as qualifying it will really open lots of tactical doors for RB which have all been firmly closed with a poorly performing Albon at the helm of the 2nd RB.

That's an excellent point.

It has been very difficult for Red Bull to get a shot at covering off the Mercedes' with undercuts etc when the opportunity arises, because Albon has always been so far out of contention.

It seems like almost every week now Horner is saying to the media that he hopes Albon can get himself up to around that 3rd/4th spot to give them some options, but it rarely, if ever materialises.

If Perez can consistently be in contention for that 3rd/4th place allowing Red Bull to try something different in terms of tactics from time to time, I think they will be extremely pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If Sergio doesn't bring the fight to Max will people eat humble pie for being so scathing of Albon?

And if he does bring the fight and they're more consistently challenging Mercedes, will it force Mercedes to reconsider having a more competitive second driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Been a crazy year for Perez fans, first he gets dumped by Aston then he wins a Grand Prix and now he's driving a Red Bull. Absolutely delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Top Dog wrote: »
    If Sergio doesn't bring the fight to Max will people eat humble pie for being so scathing of Albon?

And if he does bring the fight and they're more consistently challenging Mercedes, will it force Mercedes to reconsider having a more competitive second driver?

If Perez struggles as well, then blame will have to go to the Red Bull car itself and how difficult it must be to drive, and also how amazing Max must be to be able to push it

I hope Perez isn't just a slight improvement on Albon, would make the move so pointless then, want to see either a proper improvement on Albon or proof that Albon and Gasly weren't the problem but instead the car is

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm not a perez fan at all, but what he brings is consistent performances.
    If he finishes the majority of the races in the top 4 and within a few seconds of Verstappen, that's a success and much better than albon.

Albon wouldnt have the driving ability to be a pizza delivery driver, let alone the RB. Perez has arguably a better car next year than this year, and he still managed a win this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If Perez struggles as well, then blame will have to go to the Red Bull car itself and how difficult it must be to drive, and also how amazing Max must be to be able to push it

I hope Perez isn't just a slight improvement on Albon, would make the move so pointless then, want to see either a proper improvement on Albon or proof that Albon and Gasly weren't the problem but instead the car is

Agree, I'd be the same on both counts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Some nice driver line ups for next year now.

We've got Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo potentially battling for best of the rest after the top two teams. We've got the Schumacher name back on the grid, which will be special even if it will be at the back. And now we've got one of the best drivers on the grid partnering Max at Red Bull.

It's a shame Bottas is still taking up the only seat on the grid that could make the championship interesting, but there will hopefully be a lot to watch going on behind that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Scott Dixon should have got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rianmcn

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm not a perez fan at all, but what he brings is consistent performances.
    If he finishes the majority of the races in the top 4 and within a few seconds of Verstappen, that's a success and much better than albon.

Albon wouldnt have the driving ability to be a pizza delivery driver, let alone the RB. Perez has arguably a better car next year than this year, and he still managed a win this year.

Totally agree. Essentially, RB want Perez to be Max's Bottas. Will qualify 4th and be in Merc's pit stop window so they cannot split strategies on Verstappen. And also when Max is off form or DNF's, Perez will be there to take home the podium or even more depending on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rianmcn

Also, what happens if Perez is the same gap away from Verstappen as Albon and Gasly were? Maybe the RB car has been a lot worse than Max has made it seem for the past 2 years. Maybe he's even better than we thought? Interesting season ahead, can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Anyone know what’s next for Albon? Surely won’t drop to a test or reserve driver.

Does he go to a different Motorsport? I honestly have no idea what he will do.

Mad to think nearly 200 points won over two years and potentially we may not see him anytime soon racing in F1 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Anyone know what’s next for Albon? Surely won’t drop to a test or reserve driver.

Does he go to a different Motorsport? I honestly have no idea what he will do.

Mad to think nearly 200 points won over two years and potentially we may not see him anytime soon racing in F1 again.

Albon sadly is shafted at this point, he is never going to get the RB seat back, so serving as their test / reserve driver is a pathway to nowhere. Perhaps he can do that for a year and hope that Kimi retires, or Alonso flops and perhaps get a chance with Alfa Romeo or less likely Renault.

If he gives it a year and no drive is forthcoming then he's going to have to go drive in a different formula and hope he gets a chance at some point in the future, he is only 24 so he does have some time on his side. It wouldn't really surprise me if we never see him on the F1 grid again, it's a ruthless sport at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Inquitus wrote: »
    Albon sadly is shafted at this point, he is never going to get the RB seat back, so serving as their test / reserve driver is a pathway to nowhere. Perhaps he can do that for a year and hope that Kimi retires, or Alonso flops and perhaps get a chance with Alfa Romeo or less likely Renault.

If he gives it a year and no drive is forthcoming then he's going to have to go drive in a different formula and hope he gets a chance at some point in the future, he is only 24 so he does have some time on his side. It wouldn't really surprise me if we never see him on the F1 grid again, it's a ruthless sport at the end of the day!

I saw Russell posting support for him online and within the comments Martin Brundle was talking about him and the fact he’s still young.

Tagged Damon Hill mentioning that some former greats weren’t even in F1 until they were older. It’s mad how it’s changed. Hill in his 30s joining F1 would be crazy these days.

Anyone thinking Gasly getting demoted has somewhat saved his career? If Red Bull didn’t make that call we’d probably be seeing Gasly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Way back to Albon is:
    tsunoda failing
    The unofficial Tsunoda/Honda/Red bull contract breaking (if there would have been no linkage the logical step would have been to bring Albon back there)
    Gasly moving to Renault
    Perez failing
    Hamilton retiring and Verstappen being lured to Mercedes

Bad for him would be Daruvala shining in F2 next year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

It's the right decision from red bull on the constructors side aswell as pit stratagies, albon was completely unreliable and to take a gamble on him this year could have and probably would have backfired, not nice to see him lose a seat completely but it's a cut throat business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

https://mobile.twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1339991227459137538

Decision was finalized in Abu Dhabi, talks had to be ongoing for some time. Albon had three races to perform and didn't, everything after was just administration

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont think this is going to work out.
    Perez wont compete with verstappen on outright pace so he will be relying on alternative strategy or messy races to try to bring himself into play. I could see him finishing ajead of max in maybe 2 races in a season.
    I could equally see him taking out max if anywhere close off the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

I'm happy for Perez, looking forward to see how he performs along Max.
    Considering how he was shafted by the team early in the sason to finish the year with his first race win and a Red Bull seat for 2021 it turned out quite well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I saw the news about Perez on twitter. I'm happy for them in that he has a seat for 2021 onwards. Both Max & Perez could become a very competitive pair of drivers when going up against the other teams on the track. They have great ability & potential to do very well with winning races within this new partnership.

For Albon though; it's very unfortunate to hear that he lost his seat to Perez. The consequences of his performance with RB has now been brought to reality.

Being a test/reserve driver for a F1 team is an unusual experience for Albon in that he could have the opportunity to be testing newer cars that could be potentially be better than what he had driven with RB last year or it could be worse than the previous year. The level of thinking being set in his head right now is that testing any new car for RB will be a big indicator in how his future will be secure with the team from now on. He really should be able to spot the big differences with how any new car works compared to previous years because winning races really is important for their new driver partnerships that will be developed with the team into the future.

The dynamics of RB's new engine for the car for the upcoming 2022 season is an interesting thing to observe at this moment. It's seen as being really critical to how their new driver partnership can continue to win any of the new races on the championship table for the whole of that year & in subsequent years afterwards. Their ability to do this as a new look team had worked brilliantly in the past because they were 4 time F1 WC's in recent years. In hindsight; this task of trying to source a new engine for the car really should not be a hard thing to do if they want to improve their impressive record in F1 with winning even more championships under their belt. Their team should have great ability & timing in themselves to find a engine that should be able to win races for the 2022 F1 season.

If they find that their new car that is not up to scratch for 2022; will questions be asked about how it could be influenced by the decision from Honda to end their partnership with them. Time will tell if that does become the case. It would be a great shame to see RB become what Ferrari were like in 2020.

No-one working for RB or their fans will like that reputation. It's RB now to get this job done right if they want to retain 2nd or better for 2022 & beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Red Bull now have the strongest driver pairing in FY 21.

At least RedBull have the balls to have two really strong drivers unlike Merc.

Really hope the strategy options it will give RedBull will make for an exciting championship as this year was a disaster.

Is Perez better than Bottas? I don’t think here’s much in it one way or the other. I think they clearly have a 1-2.

No way Perez is a top driver or will challenge Max.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Is Perez better than Bottas? I don’t think here’s much in it one way or the other. I think they clearly have a 1-2.

No way Perez is a top driver or will challenge Max.

Bottas is a Williams’s/Haas level of driver who lucked into the strongest package in the history of the sport hell even George Russell made a show of him. Only reason he is there is as a rear gunner for Lewis nothing more.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Bottas is a Williams’s/Haas level of driver who lucked into the strongest package in the history of the sport hell even George Russell made a show of him. Only reason he is there is as a rear gunner for Lewis nothing more.

I think that’s hyperbole and Bottas is a middle of the road driver but definitely not amongst the worst.

Do you really think Perez is going to challenge Max in any meaningful way?

I think max will make a show* of Perez

*beat him by more than 0.002 in quali and 8 seconds over the course of a race

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Perez job isnt to challenge Max.

You surely know this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

The last time Max had a decent teammate in Danny Ric, Danny beat him 467 points to 392 with Danny having 2 more mechanical DNFs than Max. I think Perez is going to run a lot closer to Max than what people think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement