Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x10 - 'Terra Firma: Part 2 ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 17-12-2020 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Discovery 3x10 'Terra Firma: Part 2'

Folks, in relation to spoilers, you don't have to use spoiler tags in the episode threads. If someone hasn't seen the episode yet then they shouldn't be reading the thread, period. When it airs on Netflix doesn't matter. I would suggest that whoever starts the thread put a spoiler warning in the title. I'll add one to this now.

{ ** Spoilers from Below ** }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

So, that was better than the first half, though I think it could have easily been made a single episode and move on. Again, the most interesting part of the episode, finding the ship (and to some extent what's going on with the admiral, because he seemed...dodgier than usual) was relegated to a very few brief minutes. Pretty much the last 5-6 minutes of the funeral drinks could have been dumped with no major loss.

I have to say, the graphics on the Guardian looked amazing, that was a great shot when it reformed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks @ilovesmybrick for posting before me.

Directed by Chloe Domont​

IMDb Link: - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12047894/

Memory-alpha epsiode breakdown: - https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Terra_Firma,_Part_2_(episode)

^^^ Above links probably contain spoiler information.

Star Trek: Discovery | "Terra Firma, Part 2" (S3, E10) Recap | The Ready Room
    Michelle Yeoh Interviewed in this.
    ^^^ US VPN Required ~~ Spoilers and Preview of E11.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    Thanks @ilovesmybrick for posting before me.

I was shocked I beat you to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

It was ok - But there was no real need for it as an episode

I thought Prime Lorca might have shown up actually - but alas they ran out of time, given that this episode had two seperate Michaels

Im just not feeling this show anymore - quite sad really

But when i compare this to other current shows (Mando, the expanse) - It pales in comparison

3 episodes left to tie it all together - depending on the story this could really be something! but past experience suggests its downhill from here

EDIT - almost forgot

Inclusion of Guardian of Forever - fine i guess
    Dubbing his voice with the original from COTEOF - Slightly cringe inducing

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    It was ok - But there was no real need for it as an episode

I thought Prime Lorca might have shown up actually - but alas they ran out of time, given that this episode had two seperate Michaels

Im just not feeling this show anymore - quite sad really

But when i compare this to other current shows (Mando, the expanse) - It pales in comparison

3 episodes left to tie it all together - depending on the story this could really be something! but past experience suggests its downhill from here

EDIT - almost forgot

Inclusion of Guardian of Forever - fine i guess
    Dubbing his voice with the original from COTEOF - Slightly cringe inducing

I think the problem is that they want to create a big single series story, and they have the broad plot points (the Burn, What happened to the Federation) but they don't seem to have the ability to flesh out these stories sufficiently, so we've ended up with quite a lot of fluff and padding. Presumably the last three episodes will directly deal with the Burn and the Federation, so that means the main season 3 story we've seen could fill perhaps 6 episodes at best?

This isn't actually a major issue in itself, except the other episodes aren't really developing the other characters, and those characters were never developed fully enough for us to have an interest in or understanding of them so there is almost no B story lines of note. Detmar is a prime example, her PTSD could have been an interesting standalone episode, with the b plot doing something small to move the story forward.

How much would we really have lost without the Earth/Trill/Vulcan episodes? From the Earth episode-Adira, Trill-the location of Starfleet, Vulcan-their research data. That's nearly three hours of the season, and I don't think we gained that much from it at all. Personally I have no sense of the universe they inhabit or what's going on. The emerald chain is an interesting concept, but I have no point of reference for their level of threat to the federation or how diminished the federation actually is. The only point of reference I can see is whatever Michael fancies doing that week, rather than there being a broader universe in which they are operating. There's just no sense of scale to anything, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

I think the problem is that they want to create a big single series story, and they have the broad plot points (the Burn, What happened to the Federation) but they don't seem to have the ability to flesh out these stories sufficiently, so we've ended up with quite a lot of fluff and padding. Presumably the last three episodes will directly deal with the Burn and the Federation, so that means the main season 3 story we've seen could fill perhaps 6 episodes at best?

This isn't actually a major issue in itself, except the other episodes aren't really developing the other characters, and those characters were never developed fully enough for us to have an interest in or understanding of them so there is almost no B story lines of note. Detmar is a prime example, her PTSD could have been an interesting standalone episode, with the b plot doing something small to move the story forward.

How much would we really have lost without the Earth/Trill/Vulcan episodes? From the Earth episode-Adira, Trill-the location of Starfleet, Vulcan-their research data. That's nearly three hours of the season, and I don't think we gained that much from it at all. Personally I have no sense of the universe they inhabit or what's going on. The emerald chain is an interesting concept, but I have no point of reference for their level of threat to the federation or how diminished the federation actually is. The only point of reference I can see is whatever Michael fancies doing that week, rather than there being a broader universe in which they are operating. There's just no sense of scale to anything, if that makes sense.

I agree with you

They have run out of time to flesh out the main arc - Which IMHO is not actually that interesting (all the Dilithium has exploded - very contrived)

Running out of time is common enough - but what did they use the time for?

Michael, Michael, Michael, Tilly, Michael, Pointless-Mirror-2Parter-Michael

the one character who has had too much time is given even more time; and unless im mistaken, No one was crying out to learn more about her. The other characters are not actually characters IMHO - i mean they could actually sack them all next season, and just replace the bridge crew with newbies - and no one would seriously care, nor would it really effect the plot

So they have pointlessly run out of time, again this is IMHO

Bottom line for me -1 episode (E5 finding the Federation & Starfleet) was decent. The rest have been Average ok (Mirror, Trill), Below average (Unification, Earth, second episode) and the rest have been very poor. And like i said i just find the burn to be a bad/poor over all story

3 episodes left, so fingers crossed - but next weeks episode doesnt look exceptional at all

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This season did NOT need a two-parter based in the Mirror Universe. A complete waste of time.

The season started off reasonably well I think, but the past three episodes have been a real dip in quality for me. Maybe they'll pull it back in the final three and these recent ones fit in somewhere, but overall at the moment I think season 2 was more consistent and stronger. I did a full rewatch just before season 3 came out and was finding it far more enjoyable than on the first watch. I think the attempt to do season long stories, combined with the lack of development of any secondary characters, means that the poorer episodes really stand out more in isolation.

While I'm interested in what they're planning for the Burn and Starfleet (especially with the Admirals kind of shifty behaviour in this episode coming straight after Georgiou's warning), I think this has so far been the weakest of the three series this year. I loved Lower Decks, Picard I enjoyed, though it slipped towards the end. Glancing over at the reddit threads I do find myself wondering if it's just me, because they're so effusive with their praise. I'm glad that Trek doesn't have the same vitriolic criticism that appears to be the case with some other sci-fi franchises, but the only place I'm seeing any valid criticism of episodes is here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's a second week of pantomime villain stuff, just for an excuse to move Georgiou in time for her spin off series.

I thought Picard was flawed in it's slow advancement of the main plot, but Discovery's season 3 takes it to an extreme. Out of 10 episodes, we've have barely 20 minutes or so dedicated to the overarching plot of the Burn, despite being told that this is the key. Picard did gain some momentum in it's later episodes, I can only hope Discovery can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭corkie

I Am The Guardian Of Forever - Star Trek Discovery 3x10

As a bubble episodes in alternative mirror universe and not having effect on the series timelines. As confirmed by her 'fitbit' she did spend sometime in some reality.

'The ready room' is out now as well with Michelle Yeoh Interviewed. Link in previous post.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That was alright. Mirror universe is silly nonsense though. I guess it concludes the Hitler redemption story so not an altogether pointless episode, in the scheme of things.

Mirror-Georgiou won't be missed but she was much more watchable once she softened up a bit in this episode. Pity we got so little of "Prime" Georgiou.

Guardian Of Forever - yeah, whatever. We all kind of assumed that anyway, they should have made it obvious from the start or not at all. A big reveal that is purely for the audience always feels a bit unnatural, I think. Like that "My NAME... is... KHAN >:-( " rubbish. "Okay, Khan. I'm Jim, he's Spock. Who gives a ****?".

Enjoyable enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Basically a 2 part episode to set-up Space Hitler's spinoff series.

There was no reason why they couldn't do this in one episode other than to try and get us to like Space Hitler and watch her show.

I can already see The Burn arch falling flat on its face, it looks like they read fan theories and changed the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thought it was an alright episode. Got most hyped about the coalition and the headlines on the newspaper. Liked the Seven of Nine reference.

I was curious at the end about where Georgiou has ended up. Guessing she'll either be back or another version of Georgiou will turn up later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Slydice wrote: »
    Thought it was an alright episode. Got most hyped about the coalition and the headlines on the newspaper. Liked the Seven of Nine reference.

I was curious at the end about where Georgiou has ended up. Guessing she'll either be back or another version of Georgiou will turn up later.

She ends up in the Section 31 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye a bit dull that episode. The first episode to it was much better and I agree they should have revealed the Guardian in the first episode and sent her through then. Was I sad to see her ho not really. Wonder Woman had more tearfull moments in it than this. Who does Georgio think she is trying to tell Micheal she would be a better Captain than Saru and why did the writers even do that when that's the last thing we the audience want?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Slydice wrote: »

What was the 7 reference?

Just watched the first 3 episodes of the new Expanse series and god the differences are so obvious. No over the top CGI exploding doors or slo mo badge throws and more decent scenes than the 10 episodes of DIS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That has been the longest send off of a character in any show ever (and again it was totally Michael centric - someone just put the their phaser on kill and be done with her)

Seriously why bring her along to drop the character just over half way thru when they already knew she was going to another show - you can get away with the self indulgent episodes when you have 24 episodes per season but not when you half that amount of episodes to tell a single story

And that you should be Captain line was so cringey I actually groaned

So much stuff going on in the show but they are barely touching it
    I will continue to watch as I love Star Trek - but this season has been the worst so far

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just watched the first 3 episodes of the new Expanse series and god the differences are so obvious. No over the top CGI exploding doors or slo mo badge throws and more decent scenes than the 10 episodes of DIS

I think the Expanse is hands down the best sci-fi series of the past 15 years or so. The best I've seen since BSG anyway!

I think the Expanse is hands down the best sci-fi series of the past 15 years or so. The best I've seen since BSG anyway!

Future Sci-Fi anyway.

Person of Interest was great

One thing this showed is that they have absolutely wasted Michelle Yeoh.

• Advertisement

You know what we need?

More crying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

FutureGuy wrote: »
    This season did NOT need a two-parter based in the Mirror Universe. A complete waste of time.

I think they meant it as a fitting sendoff to a much-loved character.

Except they once again overestimated the viewers attachment to the character, because until maybe the last episode where she softened a little, she was just a bag of snark and psychopathy. Character development just isn't the writers thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Another dreadful dog turd, Crying over space hitler, please. It’s lined up now Saru leaves to join the other kelpians ala Nelix and Mikey Spock will ascend to captain of the universe.

Mikey Spock “Lorca !”
    Detmer “ We couldn’t afford him cause we’re **** out of money”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

One thing this showed is that they have absolutely wasted Michelle Yeoh.

+1

Captain Georgiou from Season 1 - Episode 1 wasn't half bad, and I could have seen myself watching a whole show with her as Captain. That version of her felt "Starfleet" enough to be a solid starship captain.

But no...they kill her off because Martin-Green is the contracted lead and Michelle Yeoh's talents are then forever wasted in Discovery to be resurrected as a cartoon villainess who the writers somehow thought we'd actually like.

That's my current theory for this 2-part swan-song for Geogiou...they thought we'd *miss* her and played up the fact that she is leaving. They really didn't need to make this a 2-parter, but since Part 2 was also a Bottle episode my theory from last episode feels solid. They are short of cash, and padded out a script so that they'd get 2 Bottle Episodes for the price of one.

And so Geogiou is off...likely to that Section 31 show that I'm not really all that interested in seeing...assuming it isn't in some kind of production limbo. Maybe Michelle Yeoh just wanted an easy out? Alas before she left, she also planted the seed for what I believe will likely kill any remaining hope I have for this show. She encouraged Michael to be Captain...and since these writers have no concept of subtly, I fear that this is exactly what they have planned. Captain Suru's days may be numbered....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My thoughts

Nice to see some TOS Guardian

Even mirror mick talks too much

So Space Hitler is in her way to her own show

Not getting evil Admiral vive some of ye are saying? Are all admirals evil in Trek world?

I enjoy the Terran verse and would watch a show on it.

Wasted opportunity to bring back Lorca

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

My thoughts

Nice to see some TOS Guardian

Even mirror mick talks too much

So Space Hitler is in her way to her own show

Not getting evil Admiral vive some of ye are saying? Are all admirals evil in Trek world?

I enjoy the Terran verse and would watch a show on it.

Wasted opportunity to bring back Lorca

They don’t have the money for Lorca and beside he would show up the rest of them for the toothpaste commercial actors they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if to join you had to be fully Terran, since we had Detmer without her bionic eye and Airiam v2.0 without her bionic everything.

If they were doing this to send her off to the new series, how come they didn't do what most shows do and use an episode as a backdoor pilot? Supernatural tried it twice, The 100 did it using 1 of the episodes from its final season and the 50 CSIs and NCIS shows did it. I guess the pilot didn't have enough Michael.
    Wonder when it's set. Like would it be far enough in the past that Georgiou meets Michael's ancestor that looks exactly like her?

I'll probably check out the spinoff. I wasn't a fan of Georgiou but I'll admit to not being a big fan of Angel in Buffy (ooh err) but loved the spinoff, apart from a lot of season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭pah

Uuuugggghhhh fukking YAWN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder when it's set. Like would it be far enough in the past that Georgiou meets Michael's ancestor that looks exactly like her?

....Picard Season 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,426 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FGR wrote: »
    ....Picard Season 2?

Michelle Yeoh has been attached to a Section 31 series since January last year, and the show runners attached to that show co-wrote this 2 parter, so that’s pretty much that - pending any upsets Covid may have caused production of it.

For this episode itself, meh... just very frustrating to take an hour and a half away from an already very underdeveloped season to spend time on entirely irrelevant stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement