Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

ken is a top football contributor. whether he has what it takes to be a top, top, top football contributor, i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If you were to compile a list of every football pundits predictions and see how it turns out then they'd all be wrong 90% of the time, even the best of them.

Football makes no sense and can't be accurately predicted - that's why we watch it.

Yeah, Ken isn't a real football man, but, that's no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's not about predictions.

If Ken was right with all his predictions, it would be pretty boring. It's about the way in which he presents his argument that is his real talent. That's why we all listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Arghus wrote: »
    If you were to compile a list of every football pundits predictions and see how it turns out then they'd all be wrong 90% of the time, even the best of them.

Nah Ken is noticeably low batter on correct predictions. Not quite as bad as Barry Glendenning I’d say but that’s a low bar.

As someone who took a punt on spurs to win the title I’m happy he took the position on this he did on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I suppose predictions are one thing but Ken states them as obvious facts that everyone has missed like kanes decline etc and goes on about them for months at a time.

Mason mount example was fully reasonable and it was funny that franks darling might be dispensed of but he failed to give any credence to the fact he may well stay in the team.

Gerrard going to rangers was more than a prediction that it wouldn't work. He was saying what an incredibly stupid move it was and a no brainer move (stupid) and zero chance of success.

Again it was light hearted and funny how his theories aren't holding much water these days.

Still for entertainment its great.

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote: »
    I suppose predictions are one thing but Ken states them as obvious facts that everyone has missed like kanes decline etc and goes on about them for months at a time.

Mason mount example was fully reasonable and it was funny that franks darling might be dispensed of but he failed to give any credence to the fact he may well stay in the team.

Gerrard going to rangers was more than a prediction that it wouldn't work. He was saying what an incredibly stupid move it was and a no brainer move (stupid) and zero chance of success.

Again it was light hearted and funny how his theories aren't holding much water these days.

Still for entertainment its great.

Yeah actually, predictions are the wrong word really. It’s more assertions he makes bout players or teams or managers that are mostly proved wrong.

Nah Ken is noticeably low batter on correct predictions. Not quite as bad as Barry Glendenning I’d say but that’s a low bar.

As someone who took a punt on spurs to win the title I’m happy he took the position on this he did on Monday.

Name me one pundit who tends to call it right before the fact.

Not defending Ken's ability here, but just curious to see if there's one out there that noticeably can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pretty sure the "remember this is just a football game" in the US Murph intro was commentary interrupted by the news of John Lennon's murder, 40 years ago today.

Just y'know, saying.

I only just noticed that quote an hour ago when reading a piece in The Athletic about the announcement of the murder of Lennon on Monday night football in the US. Thought the same thing, second captains audio bed. Always assumed it was just a general piece of commentary.

Name me one pundit who tends to call it right before the fact.

Not defending Ken's ability here, but just curious to see if there's one out there that noticeably can.

Just to be clearer ; it’s degrees of wrong I’m talking about. You can make a prediction and it’s difficult to do but Ken makes assertions that go really pearshaped. The Real should sell Ronaldo one was terrible. He said spurs should sell Kane earlier this year which actually didn’t sound that outrageous at the time but was wrong. There’s quite a list of assertions Ken’s given that are egregiously wrong. He got the Neymar one right IMO in fairness.

A lot of these assertions I personally would hear them at the time and think he’s totally off at the time. You’d don’t even have to wait for it to be proven incorrect.

That's fair and I suppose for another example there was the Messi saga during the off season. He was losing it at the thought that Messi's departure was a done deal. Even though it was painfully obvious at all times that Messi wasn't going anywhere - in fact it was everyone else that was going to leave first! He was pretty gullible to not see through that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

healy1835 wrote: »
    Lads, leave off Murph. He's the glue that keeps it all together. Richie on the other hand...he just seems to drain the life out of whatever topic he's on to talk about. I like the Players Chair and he's clearly suited to that style of interviewing but it's rare that he adds anything when on as a pundit.

The pundits they mostly have on are fantastic but it's their pundit mates/family - Sadlier, Miguel Delaney and Shane Horgan - really make it a hard listen when they are on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On the Ken being wrong topic I remember when Spurs signed Berbatov he laughed at what a bad signing it would be. Kens description was tha Berbatov was "a slow version of Peter Crouch"

He was right about a lot too, Jose at United for one. Jury is still out on Lampard imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I am writing the following in a very light playful tone but I have noticed Ken has been shown to have been very wrong a lot of recent times and actually in fairness he has been saying this on-air, a few here:

>Gerrard at rangers (thought he would totally fail)
    >Dundalk guaranteed winners of the LOI for the next decade (on the basis of 1 Europa league campaign)
    >Stephen Kenny (as Ireland manager)
    >Mourinho (at spurs)
    >Pogba (that it essentially was Mourinho's problem)
    >Kane (being finished)
    >James Rodriguez (signing for Everton)
    >Everton being in with a decent chance at the top
    >Lampard (doing well)
    >Mount and Abraham (not being able to get into the lineup)
    >Kepa (thought it was just Lampard's tactics)
    >David Silva (his quality as Real Sociedad are on fire)
    >Atlectico Madrid (written off as the Simone has been there too long etc)
    >Bayern (that they can't compete as the TV revenue isn't in the Bundesliga)
    >Henderson (at Liverpool)
    >Brendan Rogers (career in general)
    >Moyes (at West Ham)
    >Neymar at PSG (Barca not looking a great place and PSG doing well in the CL and him playing very well)

....maybe we shouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early has to say about football

No doubt Ken has got plenty of stuff wrong but I would dispute about 60% of these if not more, throwing Kenny and James in there as things that he's wrong about is ridiculous this early. James hasn't contributed since mid October so wouldn't be getting too carried way just yet and Kenny is barely in the job. Not going to go through them one by one as clearly there is some degree of subjectivity to peoples opinions on the game but I think this list is a pretty poor example of things he's been wrong about.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I am writing the following in a very light playful tone but I have noticed Ken has been shown to have been very wrong a lot of recent times and actually in fairness he has been saying this on-air, a few here:

>Gerrard at rangers (thought he would totally fail)
    >Dundalk guaranteed winners of the LOI for the next decade (on the basis of 1 Europa league campaign)
    >Stephen Kenny (as Ireland manager)
    >Mourinho (at spurs)
    >Pogba (that it essentially was Mourinho's problem)
    >Kane (being finished)
    >James Rodriguez (signing for Everton)
    >Everton being in with a decent chance at the top
    >Lampard (doing well)
    >Mount and Abraham (not being able to get into the lineup)
    >Kepa (thought it was just Lampard's tactics)
    >David Silva (his quality as Real Sociedad are on fire)
    >Atlectico Madrid (written off as the Simone has been there too long etc)
    >Bayern (that they can't compete as the TV revenue isn't in the Bundesliga)
    >Henderson (at Liverpool)
    >Brendan Rogers (career in general)
    >Moyes (at West Ham)
    >Neymar at PSG (Barca not looking a great place and PSG doing well in the CL and him playing very well)

....maybe we shouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early has to say about football

Ken is not about war or death or predictions. He’s not that at all. He’s the opposite of that. He’s there to remind us that there’s a world outside of that. That’s why Ken’s important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No doubt Ken has got plenty of stuff wrong but I would dispute about 60% of these if not more, throwing Kenny and James in there as things that he's wrong about is ridiculous this early. James hasn't contributed since mid October so wouldn't be getting too carried way just yet and Kenny is barely in the job. Not going to go through them one by one as clearly there is some degree of subjectivity to peoples opinions on the game but I think this list is a pretty poor example of things he's been wrong about.

Look I said light hearted. I would debate a lot of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Surprise, Surprise, Ken wets himself in delight dissecting Man Us CL exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Surprise, Surprise, Ken wets himself in delight dissecting Man Us CL exit.

I look forward to listening so!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought yesterday's Gaelic Football chat was excellent, Andy Moran is a good replacement for Mike Quirke.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Am I the only one who enjoys it when murph is given a break from the football podcasts? I don't mind the chap but I find it tiring sometimes when he constantly butts in when one of the other 2 are mid sentence or just talks straight over them and then proceeds to, I mean, eh, you know, I mean, completely labour the damn point he's trying to make!
    As I say I like him most of the time, but no harm giving him (or me!) a break now and again. Also it reminds me of the old football show on newstalk days with just the 2 lads

I always like listening to Rory Smith. Always comes across as a really rationale person who has his own independent thoughts.

• Advertisement

Thought yesterday's Gaelic Football chat was excellent, Andy Moran is a good replacement for Mike Quirke.

Yes I enjoyed it too. I mentioned this before but I've no real interest in GAA matches, but the kind of discussion they had yesterday certainly held my interest.

The first part of the GAA Hour discussed it too and it was very good if you're looking for more content on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Nokotan wrote: »
    I always like listening to Rory Smith. Always comes across as a really rationale person who has his own independent thoughts.

Absolutely. He has a really great understated sense of humour too

Nokotan wrote: »

He has a podcast of his own The Set Piece Menu. I only started listening to it this week, but it's really good.

Conversations about football, but quite thought provoking. The quality of the episodes I've listened to so far has been high.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Does anyone get the sense that Jamie Wall was a big Second Captains fan before he became a pundit? Also loved the sound of someone doing the dishes behind Michael Duignan, and how much it distracted him.

Once I hear Duignan is in to talk, is an automatic skip for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The last seven days we've had US Murph slagging Trump and Ken criticising Millwall fans and not one complaint about them here, long may this thread remain an oasis of sanity on this crazy, crazy site.

He has a podcast of his own The Set Piece Menu. I only started listening to it this week, but it's really good.

Conversations about football, but quite thought provoking. The quality of the episodes I've listened to so far has been high.

I started listening this week as well actually after he mentioned it during Second Captains. Really, really good podcasts and aren't really time dependent so the old ones are still relevant which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The last seven days we've had US Murph slagging Trump and Ken criticising Millwall fans and not one complaint about them here, long may this thread remain an oasis of sanity on this crazy, crazy site.

Careful now. If T***p is mentioned too much they will be summoned. They're currently fighting the good fight against the evil Bill Gates and his mind control vaccine but as soon as they're done there, deep state Ken will be on the hitlist.

• Advertisement

Did I miss an episode or did they talk about the fourth official in the PSG game? Totally Football Show & Football Weekly takes on it were very one sided.

Advertisement