Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic at Deansgrange

• 10-12-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Its absolutely ****e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The new road markings make it worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There are too many cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

10 min from bakers corner today at half 10 not a school run time. They want the rock road one way and thats before the apts get built. Its well fked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Traffic flows better now as traffic turning left from Kill Lane onto Clonkeen Road are fully seperate from cars continuing straight on Kill Lane. It takes a bit of getting used to and I'm sure things will click into place in the next few weeks once people are used to the new layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

TheW1zard wrote: »
    The new road markings make it worse!

Get with the programme you evil Planet Destroying Wizzard you.....Only good Wizard is a Bicycle/Skateboard/Scooter/Monowheel/Donkey&Cart using one !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7F25rNsnyo

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Obviously it's the bike lane in Dun Laoighaire causing this

I cycle to work and pass all the suckers out, that said, its still ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's nothing at all to do with the lane markings, it's the newer traffic light timings. I live right beside the place, so I can guarantee you this is what it is.

What makes it worse are the utter arseholes who refuse to abide by the new lane markings and decide that "right turn only" doesn't apply to them. Why does driving turn pretty much everyone into a brainless, selfish c**t?

No I actually have seen people on Twitter blaming the bike lane in DL for this

They need a turn right filter light heading towards Dunlaoghaire also.
    The locals should get together and complain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

GT89 wrote: »
    Traffic flows better now as traffic turning left from Kill Lane onto Clonkeen Road are fully seperate from cars continuing straight on Kill Lane. It takes a bit of getting used to and I'm sure things will click into place in the next few weeks once people are used to the new layout.

Only noticed this the other day and I was going straight. There was a bus behind me though so it didn't matter :)

The outrage on twitter is directed towards the light sequence not the bike lanes.
    More bike lanes and less traffic please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

They need a turn right filter light heading towards Dunlaoghaire also.
    The locals should get together and complain!

I live beside the library and was very much in favour of the new cycling infrastructure which is now not to be..

However I am delighted now it is not going ahead as the current traffic difficulties would no doubt be blamed on it.

It almost like DLR said....OK you won't let us put in the new cycle lane so now drive away to your hearts content (if you can)

Traffic has been bad at that junction for years. The only solution is less cars traversing it. Messing with light sequences and lane markings will not improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Traffic is crazy everywhere these days. I am nowhere near Deansgrange or any of the new works and I just heard from my neighbour that it took him 40 minutes to drive a 5-10 minutes distance home when he went to get a Christmas tree.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I live beside the library and was very much in favour of the new cycling infrastructure which is now not to be..

However I am delighted now it is not going ahead as the current traffic difficulties would no doubt be blamed on it.

It almost like DLR said....OK you won't let us put in the new cycle lane so now drive away to your hearts content (if you can)

Traffic has been bad at that junction for years. The only solution is less cars traversing it. Messing with light sequences and lane markings will not improve things.

What was the new infrastructure? Why isnt it going ahead?
    Cheers

What was the new infrastructure? Why isnt it going ahead?
    Cheers

thread about it here. Hundreds of objections to one of the main parts of it which was to make Deansgrange road one way for a stretch..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058129058&page=4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Just went through it at about 4pm today (i drive a coach for work) and it's an absolute disaster. The new wide cycle lanes and road marking are making it harder to do my job and make pick up's on time. My vehicle is spending more time now on the road throwing carbon into the atmosphere than it did before the cycle lanes where put in. Slow clap for whoever had this bright idea.

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Just went through it at about 4pm today (i drive a coach for work) and it's an absolute disaster. The new wide cycle lanes and road marking are making it harder to do my job and make pick up's on time. My vehicle is spending more time now on the road throwing carbon into the atmosphere than it did before the cycle lanes where put in. Slow clap for whoever had this bright idea.

nothing to do with the cycle lanes. There are no new cycle lanes in Deansgrange on the approaches to the crossroads. A combination of new road markings and traffic light phases are to blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    nothing to do with the cycle lanes. There are no new cycle lanes in Deansgrange on the approaches to the crossroads. A combination of new road markings and traffic light phases are to blame.

There are new widened cycle lanes.

There has been zero alternation to the number of traffic lanes. The cycle lanes have been widened by about 10cm.

I repeat: as someone who literally lives beside Baker's Corner, these traffic problems are not caused by cycle lanes. They are caused by changes to the light phases, largely at the Deansgrange Road junction.

Pedestrians have been given priority, so unlike pre-pandemic when the green phases would last about 30 seconds, they now last about 10 seconds.

Well actually, let's be honest, the problem is truly too many cars on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It’s almost comical the lengths to which some people who are part of the congestion problem will go to blame anything else under the sun except the level of car traffic itself.

Traffic is absolutely unbelievable out there today, there's simply too many people in too many cars. It feels great cycling by them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Duckjob wrote: »
    It’s almost comical the lengths to which some people who are part of the congestion problem will go to blame anything else under the sun except the level of car traffic itself.

"You're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic!"

I do cycle to work but to say it couldnt be improved is incorrect.
    Now everyone queues in the bus lane and i cant get past them on my bike.
    Stupid car drivers, stupid traffic engineers in dlrcoco!

Not on Kill lane from Foxrock church. Not on Clonkeen road and not on Deansgrange road. Some very minor changes from Bakers to Deansgrange crossroads but hasn't altered the traffic lanes as MJohnson pointed out..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well actually, let's be honest, the problem is truly too many cars on the road.
    Cars on the road tend to be there when people have to go from place to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

SeanW wrote: »

You’d swear there are no other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I think they have changed the timings all over the city. Raheny a place where we rarely had bad traffic now has jams because of altered sequences. Same also in North Strand and other places.

SeanW wrote: »

What does that matter? They’re still the cause of the traffic. The purpose of each individual journey doesn’t matter to the physics of the situation.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    What does that matter? They’re still the cause of the traffic. The purpose of each individual journey doesn’t matter to the physics of the situation.

Proper infrastructure can alleviate traffic.
    They did works, traffic is worse.

Advertisement