Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knowledge is Power

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2020 - 29) A Time to Kill - John Grisham.

Grishams' first book. At the time it wasn't a hit. When people went back and read his back catalogue this one became popular. An exciting page turner. Don't usually read fiction. Nice to mix things up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

2020 - 30) The Firm - John Grisham.

This started off well and maintained pace until about 50% of the way through when you find out what's behind the firm. Felt it lost a bit of mystique then and the end was a bit drawn out.

Watched the movie version shortly after finishing it... too much trying to happen at once and a bit jumbled.

All in all - enjoyed the book though.

2020 - 31) The Pelican Brief - John Grisham.

Third of his books I've read in quick succession. Quick light reading which aids in putting you to sleep quickly. Perhaps the weakest of the three I've read to date.

2020 - 32) The Client - John Grisham.

Book number 4. Need a change after reading 4 in a row now.

2020 - 33) Under The Bar - Dave Tate.

Life lessons from under the bar. A very very simple book drawing analogies between life and lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

BossArky wrote: »
    2020 - 33) Under The Bar - Dave Tate.

Life lessons from under the bar. A very very simple book drawing analogies between life and lifting.

you recommend?
    I always liked Tate on social media

I've ordered Chris Duffen's book in the last order from book depository so looking forward to that

paw patrol wrote: »
    you recommend?
    I always liked Tate on social media

The book was written about 15 years ago. It's fine -just pretty simplistic. Wonder if he'll release an updated version. You'll enjoy it if you like his online stuff.

By the way - check out his podcast too.
    paw patrol wrote: »
    I've ordered Chris Duffen's book in the last order from book depository so looking forward to that

I'll see if I can find this one too.

2020 - 34) Networking for Introverts - Rob Brown.

A very quick read.

2020 - 35) Excel Formulas Ninja - Henry E. Mejia

Keeping up to date on new formula.

2020 - 36) The Code - Jocko Willick

Holistic code for life.

• Advertisement

2020 - 37) Invest Like Warren Buffett: Powerful Strategies for Building Wealth - Matthew R. Kratter

A number of quick investing tips.

2020 - 38) Dune - Frank Herbert

2020 - 39) The Chamber - John Grisham

2020 - 40) Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert.

2nd book in the series.

2020 - 41) The Rainmaker - John Grisham

Weird ending. A bit more witty that the others by Grisham that I've read.

2020 - 42) Children of Dune - Frank Herbert.

3rd book in the series. Enjoyed 2nd and 3rd more so than the original.

2020 - 43) Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlich.

I like the idea of this book - but it dragged so badly that I had to start skim reading from page 400-650. Had the uncut version which I wouldn't recommend. Apparently the more condensed version gets the same story across but with 1/3 less words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

BossArky wrote: »
    2020 - 43) Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlich.

I like the idea of this book - but it dragged so badly that I had to start skim reading from page 400-650. Had the uncut version which I wouldn't recommend. Apparently the more condensed version gets the same story across but with 1/3 less words.

I hate feeling obliged to finish I book I am not enjoying!

2020 - 44) Who They Was - Gabriel Krauze.

Really enjoyed this. London gangster roadman memories. Inspired me to watch some "Top Boy" afterwards.

2020 - 45) How Life Imitates Chess - Garry Kasparov.

Interesting enough but dragged towards the end and got too political. Could have been half the length.

• Advertisement

2020 - 46) The Runaway Jury - John Grisham

Dragged this one out over a couple of months in amongst some of the other books I was reading. Probably wasn't as into it as some of the others by the same author. A bit over the genre. Its just brainless reading. Mildly enjoyable but need to get back to non fiction. Reading these because I happen to have some to hand when nothing else is available.

2020 - 47) Literary Places - Sarah Baxter

A quick enjoyable read blending novel plot summaries with an overview of the location. Some nice drawings of the places too.

2020 - 48) Win at Chess - William Hartson.

Good tips & techniques.

2020 - 49) José Mourinho: Up Close and Personal - Robert Beasley

Not the usual type of book I'd read. Got me back up to speed on about 1.5 decades of football news.

2020 - 50) How To Train Your Dragon - Cressida Cowell.

A quick witty read.

2020 - 51) The Partner - John Grisham.

Meh. Very tired of these books. No more.

2020 - 52) Invent and Wander: Writings Of Jeff Bezos - Walter Isaccson & Jeff Bezos.

Good book to end the year and hit 52 book target.

2020 - 53) The Millionaire Next Door - William D. Danko.

Basic finance.

2020 - 54) The Strangest Tea Party - Páidí Murphy

Nice short story.

• Advertisement

2021 - 1) Don't Be ARS'D: At Risk of Self-Doubt - Catherine Nolan.

Change management, goal setting, positive thinking, etc.

Advertisement