Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs with no strict time limits

• 10-12-2020 10:04pm

Heading to Galway on December 28th for a couple of nights with the other half. Is there any pubs around the city centre that dont have any strict time limits when it comes to grub and drinks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Heading to Galway on December 28th for a couple of nights with the other half. Is there any pubs around the city centre that dont have any strict time limits when it comes to grub and drinks

They seem to be fairly strict in most, but weekends definitely with maybe more leeway during the week. I’d say bigger venues are less fussy. Can’t you stay longer if you are far away from other tables?

inisboffin wrote: »
    They seem to be fairly strict in most, but weekends definitely with maybe more leeway during the week. I’d say bigger venues are less fussy. Can’t you stay longer if you are far away from other tables?

Yeah hopefully they will be less strict during the week. Just trying to get a heads up on where to go. It would be nice to go somewhere where you can just relax and enjoy your few drinks and without having to rush down your meal

Yeah hopefully they will be less strict during the week. Just trying to get a heads up on where to go. It would be nice to go somewhere where you can just relax and enjoy your few drinks and without having to rush down your meal

I think if you're more than 2 m from another table you can stay longer. That was my understanding. So ask when you are booking maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Many pubs were quite lax about this from the get go - one barman told me that they felt it worked better for them to let people relax, not to rush them - and in doing so, it meant a lot less people circulating in/out of the pub.

I'm not even sure if the max time limit applies anymore, was it only for the previous set of restrictions? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think if you're more than 2 m from another table you can stay longer. That was my understanding.

Places that have more than 2 metres between tables do not need to keep the time limits. It applies to the lay out of the establishment, rather than where you are sitting. However, some places may be bending this rule ?

"Bookings:Where physical distancing of 2 metres is maintained between tables, there is no requirement for pre booked time slots or a limitation on the duration of time spent, although bookings should be encouraged rather than walk-ins. However, where physical distancing has been reduced to 1 metre, customers must pre book a time limited slot, up to a maximum of 105 minutes. The Guidelines also state that parties cannot book multiple tables to prevent anywork or business related parties/social gatherings including office parties."
    https://www.rai.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/4-December-2020-Failte-Ireland-Issues-Updated-Guidelines-for-Restaurants-Pubs-and-Hotels-1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

If you're having a meal at 8 or 9pm then most places will have no more sittings after you're done so they'll not be moving you on.

Panda5000 wrote: »
    If you're having a meal at 8 or 9pm then most places will have no more sittings after you're done so they'll not be moving you on.

Not everywhere. Friends were moved on (surprised)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

First off: love the username. Reminds of TV3 highlights of Champions League matches :D

Secondly: sounds like a residents bar would be your best bet. The best pubs in Galway are closed as it stands. Once Friday 18th comes most people are finished work for 2020 so it'll be near impossible to get a table longer than the current limit.

Up to yourself really but be prepared for a very subdued atmosphere no matter where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

First off: love the username. Reminds of TV3 highlights of Champions League matches :D

Secondly: sounds like a residents bar would be your best bet. The best pubs in Galway are closed as it stands. Once Friday 18th comes most people are finished work for 2020 so it'll be near impossible to get a table longer than the current limit.

Up to yourself really but be prepared for a very subdued atmosphere no matter where you go.

I'd love to know which pubs are the 'best' ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

O'Connells, Murphys, Freeneys perhaps.

Or maybe Tig Coili's, Garavans, Dew Drop - all takeaway only.

• Advertisement

Freeneys, Tigh Coilli's, Dew Drop, Roisin Dubh off the dome are all spots I'd be bringing non-locals in regular times.

Freeneys, Tigh Coilli's, Dew Drop, Roisin Dubh off the dome are all spots I'd be bringing non-locals in regular times.

I'll allow it. Plenty of other good pubs open too though, Neachtains (arguably the best in town), Bierhaus, Caribou to name but a few.

I'll allow it. Plenty of other good pubs open too though, Neachtains (arguably the best in town), Birthdays, Caribou to name but a few.

We've very different tastes in pubs if Caribou is one of your top pubs :D

We've very different tastes in pubs if Caribou is one of your top pubs :D

Clearly, I look for good food and good beer. Outside of that I'm not fussed about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

sure they'll all be shut again come the 28th

Clearly, I look for good food and good beer. Outside of that I'm not fussed about anything else.

For good food, go to a restaurant.

Pubs are for craic, music and pints. Not necessarily in that order.

For good food, go to a restaurant.

Pubs are for craic, music and pints. Not necessarily in that order.

No need to go to a restaurant when lots of pubs are doing good food, thanks for your sage advice although I'll be completely ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Taylors Bar. Great space out back should be more that 2M there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I don't understand how Taylors is open. My understanding is that they're bringing in takeaway food for consumption, when the rules specify there must be an onsite kitchen.

Seems very fast and loose considering they had a covid scare last time they were open.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I don't understand how Taylors is open. My understanding is that they're bringing in takeaway food for consumption, when the rules specify there must be an onsite kitchen.

They have a kitchen.

The rules don't say that 100% of food has to be prepared in the kitchen (very few restaurant would do that), just that there has to be one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

They have a kitchen.

The rules don't say that 100% of food has to be prepared in the kitchen (very few restaurant would do that), just that there has to be one.

I thought all the food they serve is from Roost and none of it done onsite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It sounds like what she's saying is if there's a kitchen and a microwave it's enough to reheat a takeaway as long as they technically have a kitchen on-site.

Tbh I thought it was a great way to support struggling restaurants by allowing food brought in. I don't know what's the harm if the pub enforces the distancing and time limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Seems very fast and loose considering they had a covid scare last time they were open.

Should be sound, sure they've only had the one outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Arghus wrote: »
    Should be sound, sure they've only had the one outbreak.

I think that was a different place.

I thought all the food they serve is from Roost and none of it done onsite?

Define "done".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It doesn't take much of a kitchen to cook a pizza

Thanks for the feed back guys. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts about staff at a certain pub removed.
    Recommendation threads are not an opportunity to bring up personal stuff.
    Keep to recommendations only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would consider myself a contributor to this forum and I will offer two responses;
    In these times slim opportunities are best kept a secret ;-)
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Sorry that neither are helpful to the OP but it’s slim pickings when it comes to a stool and a drink. Have 3 restaurants booked tomorrow myself; u20 lunch, senior dinner, Mayo post-mortem supper. Will get the chipper on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Good job on keeping your contacts low, no wonder we're going back to lock down before this year ends.

Honestly if people weren't so selfish and could be trusted the restaurant industry could stay open longer and we could all enjoy it.
    sgthighway wrote: »
    I would consider myself a contributor to this forum and I will offer two responses;
    In these times slim opportunities are best kept a secret ;-)
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Sorry that neither are helpful to the OP but it’s slim pickings when it comes to a stool and a drink. Have 3 restaurants booked tomorrow myself; u20 lunch, senior dinner, Mayo post-mortem supper. Will get the chipper on the way home.

Advertisement