Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Why should you not escalate it? Humm... the complete lack of evidence they did anything wrong, they would be w main reason.

If you knew the seal was tampered with then there would be a case to answer. I’m loathe to use the term “Karen”...

You just did. Use the term and own using it, or don’t use it.

I’m being taken seriously on this and if I’m right about it, it’s actually a pretty worrying thing to be tampering with, raising questions. As somebody who is taking medication that seriously affects my blood and therefore immune system currently, getting something that could be tampered with like this is worrying. But LOL, who cares about food-poisoning, unsanitary conditions etc. Especially in the middle of a pandemic. Sure, it’s grand.
    Jebus - coke isn't very high margin but why would you bother? Buy it, refrigerate it, sell it. By the time you've found an intact looking bottle, (hopefully) washed it, bought a cheaper cola, and filled the old coke bottle, you've probably spent more time/resources on it than you've saved.

I know, it’s very short-sighted! But I’ve seen crazy acts of cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face in my life. People can be incredibly blinkered when it comes to saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You just did. Use the term and own using it, or don’t use it.

You called the authorities because your coke was over-filled and under-fizzy. And you make a pretty serious allegation based on no evidence except the info above.

When the shoe fits...

You called the authorities because your coke was over-filled and under-fizzy. And you make a pretty serious allegation based on no evidence except the info above.

When the shoe fits...

And it’s being taken seriously. Is everyone involved a Karen? (a sexist term, by the way)

No evidence... oh apart from the evidence outlined. But apart from that... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

And it’s being taken seriously. Is everyone involved a Karen? (a sexist term, by the way)

The evidence outlined is that you felt the bottle was over full, and that it was not fizzy enough for you. And because of that you have called the health and safety authorities on a premises due to your wildly outlandish conclusions.

You might say that the chinese has nothing to worry about if they are ok, but have you considered that you are wasting the time of a government agency because of a flat bottle of Coke, which may, or may not have been tampered with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Jaysis this is beginning to feel like "the return of the shoe" saga all over again!

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    The evidence outlined is that you felt the bottle was over full, and that it was not fizzy enough for you. And because of that you have called the health and safety authorities on a premises due to your wildly outlandish conclusions.

You might say that the chinese has nothing to worry about if they are ok, but have you considered that you are wasting the time of a government agency because of a flat bottle of Coke, which may, or may not have been tampered with?

May or may not have been - the question to be answered. I would have thought that was right in their purview. And if they thought it was a waste of time, I’m sure they would tell me. But they have taken it seriously. They clearly don’t consider it outlandish. Do you think they don’t know how to decide what is and isn’t worthy of investigation? Maybe, just maybe, they have a lot of experience and knowledge here and what I’ve reported has come up before.

But, no, let’s either chuck out sexist terms or like the posts spewing them. Let’s just say “It’s grand” and accept crappy products. That’s obviously the cooler way to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah. You have evidence that your coke was too full and not fizzy enough and you “feel violated”. You accusation is pretty specific that it was intentionally tampered with, by the take away owners, emptied out and refilled with cheaper cola, to save a few quid. And you have no evidence for any of that.

Male version of a Karen is a Kyle, I understand. Take your pick, K.

Yeah. You have evidence that your coke was too full and not fizzy enough and you “feel violated”. You accusation is pretty specific that it was intentionally tampered with, by the take away owners, emptied out and refilled with cheaper cola, to save a few quid. And you have no evidence for any of that.

Male version of a Karen is a Kyle, I understand. Take your pick, K.

It is indeed specific. That’s kind of how it works. A specific accusation was made and is being taken seriously. You better tell the relevant government body that they don’t know their business. You seem to know better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

Can we move on from the saga over flat coke please.

Obvious Desperate Breakfasts, El Duderino and Quazzie I'm not really sure why you're treating the above mod note like friendly advice that you can choose to ignore if you wish

If you intend to keep posting in this thread drop the coke issue now and move on. Last warning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I've posted here about my father in law before but he is getting worse with age.
    He recently stayed with us for 5 weeks as he was waiting on an operation and had to be near the hospital.
    He ate a fine breakfast every day, dinner, supper, gallons of tea/coffee, all the fruit he wanted, sandwiches if he was feeling peckish and let me or my wife treat him to chipper every Friday...all without 1c towards anything.
    He would remind me if things were running low, eh, your low on milk there, eh, there's very little bread left and so on with going to the shops to replenish what had almost run out.
    It got to a head so I said to my wife that your dad needs to contribute towards the cost. Eventually he literally threw €20 at me which fell on the floor. I handed it back saying its fine I don't need it but look after yourself from no on for everything, including toilet paper.
    He told my wife then that he was never more insulted and wouldn't be visiting as often.
    I'll add that in the time he was staying he didn't give my son, his only grandchild €1 of pocket money. We were parked outside centra one day and I went to the bank. When I got back to the car he said 'I paid for the lucozade for your son, its ok but if you have the €2 ill take it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,372 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've posted here about my father in law before but he is getting worse with age.
    He recently stayed with us for 5 weeks as he was waiting on an operation and had to be near the hospital.
    He ate a fine breakfast every day, dinner, supper, gallons of tea/coffee, all the fruit he wanted, sandwiches if he was feeling peckish and let me or my wife treat him to chipper every Friday...all without 1c towards anything.
    He would remind me if things were running low, eh, your low on milk there, eh, there's very little bread left and so on with going to the shops to replenish what had almost run out.
    It got to a head so I said to my wife that your dad needs to contribute towards the cost. Eventually he literally threw €20 at me which fell on the floor. I handed it back saying its fine I don't need it but look after yourself from no on for everything, including toilet paper.
    He told my wife then that he was never more insulted and wouldn't be visiting as often.
    I'll add that in the time he was staying he didn't give my son, his only grandchild €1 of pocket money. We were parked outside centra one day and I went to the bank. When I got back to the car he said 'I paid for the lucozade for your son, its ok but if you have the €2 ill take it'

I hope you reminded him that your son was also his grandson. miserable git

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Jaysis this is beginning to feel like "the return of the shoe" saga all over again!

This reminder made me laugh. What a time that was. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dodge wrote: »
    This reminder made me laugh. What a time that was. Ha
    What's it all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What's it all about?

If I remember correctly, shoes were bought full price, then returned unworn a couple of weeks after & same shoes were bought at a sale price.

What's it all about?
    If I remember correctly, shoes were bought full price, then returned unworn a couple of weeks after & same shoes were bought at a sale price.

Not quite. Somebody bought shoes at full price then noticed that the shoes were on sale a few weeks later. Both them again on sale and returned the ones bought on sale that same day using the receipt from the full price pair, pretending they were the pair that were bought at full price. Boasted about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Not quite. Somebody bought shoes at full price then noticed that the shoes were on sale a few weeks later. Both them again on sale and returned the ones bought on sale that same day using the receipt from the full price pair, pretending they were the pair that were bought at full price. Boasted about it here.

I had to read this four times! :D

Antares35 wrote: »
    I had to read this four times! :D

I got a bit confused writing it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

And the thread went on for days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Dodge wrote: »
    And the thread went on for days

Was it a genius move or was it immoral theft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Was it a genius move or was it immoral theft :D

I missed that one. Would it not just be availing of a reduction in retrospect? I'll get my coat (and return it because it's on sale) :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Don’t sweat about it, he’ll be dead before you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I know a girl who bought Xmas decorations in M&S, proceeded to use said decorations over the Christmas period, then brought them back for a full refund and re-bought them later in their Christmas sale. I promise I'm not making that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I was listening to 2fm a few weeks ago, some woman rang up for a quiz and answered a few questions, (we will call her Ann) she did well. after the quiz the radio presenter asked her where she liked to eat in cork. she mentioned a restaurant. the radio presenter said ok so if anyone at the restaurant named can hear this, then maybe you can give Ann a voucher for your restaurant as a prize and you can get good publicity. How stingy is that like, why didn't 2fm give her a voucher, why guilt a restaurant into giving Ann a voucher. I thought it was very cheeky and cheap of 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I was listening to 2fm a few weeks ago, some woman rang up for a quiz and answered a few questions, (we will call her Ann) she did well. after the quiz the radio presenter asked her where she liked to eat in cork. she mentioned a restaurant. the radio presenter said ok so if anyone at the restaurant named can hear this, then maybe you can give Ann a voucher for your restaurant as a prize and you can get good publicity. How stingy is that like, why didn't 2fm give her a voucher, why guilt a restaurant into giving Ann a voucher. I thought it was very cheeky and cheap of 2fm.

Jeez that's pretty bad alright.
    Just goes to show that those presenters absolutely live on freebies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I hope you reminded him that your son was also his grandson. miserable git

I've reminded him constantly that my mother, who is on disability for the rest of her life and has 7 other grandchildren never forgets them and every time they visit they get a big bag of sweets and at least €20 for themselves.
    Christmas 2016 he gave my son nothing for Xmas saying he couldn't afford it. This is despite the fact he owns 3 houses, has been all over the world and will be again once travel restrictions are lifted, and the same Christmas bragged about giving 2 friends €50 vouchers each for argos. I made the mistake of going for a pint on the Stephens day and letting the anger build up inside me, he got a right tongue bashing off me.
    The following Christmas he gave my son a present meant for a baby despite him being 6 and told me 'that only cost me a fiver in the motorway services on the way'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Don’t sweat about it, he’ll be dead before you know it
    Miserable old shíts like that tend to live on for ages. They are pickled in their own negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Miserable old shíts like that tend to live on for ages. They are pickled in their own negativity.

Reminds me of the old farmer who lived beside us. This lad wouldn't spend Christmas. He was filthy rich but wouldn't let a penny drop without looking for it. He used to visit our house 4 to 5 times a week and would happily take tea when it was offered. At Christmas time he would pull out a wad of notes (at least a few thousand) and in the middle was a fiver which he gave to my mother with the usual "give that to the 3 boys"...(me and my 2 brothers).
    He died and left an absolute fortune to his only nephew who went on a mad one for a good few years - holidays, women, cars etc. The oul fecker would turn in his grave if he had seen it!!

I've inlaws up the country, if you called, they'd offer you tea and sandwiches.
    But ask you how many sandwiches you want.
    They'd end up being easy singles.

Also, if you brought a cake or something nice (for the tea) , you'd be offered rich tea biscuits from stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Also, if you brought a cake or something nice (for the tea) , you'd be offered rich tea biscuits from stock.

You would hardly expect them to waste a good cake on you, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Stop bringing cake, bring Rich Tea.

Advertisement