Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Challenge [MTV]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah some poutine and good TV, eh? Perfect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mr E wrote: »
    Ah some poutine and good TV, eh? Perfect. :)

Indeed. Thinking of hopping on a flight over this weekend actually, as I think the first season I saw was 25, so there's a few seasons there that I must have a gander at myself, now that we're in between seasons. ;)

New season starts next week... Something to look forward to every week over Christmas anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

New season starts next week... Something to look forward to every week over Christmas anyway...

I'm very excited about this! Think I'm going to save up the episodes of this and remaining TAR episodes to binge over Xmas :)

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'm very excited about this! Think I'm going to save up the episodes of this and remaining TAR episodes to binge over Xmas :)

I haven't gotten around to the current season of Amazing Race yet, was debating whether or not to bother with it anymore... Any use to the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

TAR has been a real slog but will hopefully pick up in the final few episodes.

Will give this another try this year, see if it grows on me at the third attempt.

Just watched the Double Agents Declassified preview episode which aired last night and it has me super hyped for the season...

Its essentially a who's who of everyone who's gonna be on the season and gives a quick rundown of pre-existing rivalries and alliances, as they arrive at the house prior to the first Challenge - usually the first episode proper dives straight in to the action, so this is pretty much an intro that whets the appetite and serves as a reminder of some stuff that may be helpful to know. Worth checking out, at least I think so anyway.

This has actually been by far the longest break between seasons of The Challenge since I've started watching it, and the preview just reminded me why this is my favourite Reality Competition Show.

That preview episode sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for the heads up. Do people watch this on MTV here or is there a massive gap between airing in the states and this side of the pond?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That preview episode sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for the heads up. Do people watch this on MTV here or is there a massive gap between airing in the states and this side of the pond?

I'm not sure when it airs here... Even if it was only 24 hours later, I'm not patient enough to wait that long... :D

Yeah i watch online.
    TAR has a few likeable couples this year but not many. I'll still always watch it. Few self drive (manual) disasters so that's always good.
    Must check out who is on The Challenge. I spotted Devin and Wes (I think) in the trailer so that's good for scheming. Very happy to see Jay from Survivor come back, he had great potential last season but the Target the Rookie BS really screwed him.
    Definitely my favourite reality show. Hope the Red Skulls work well this year.

• Advertisement

Actually, as well as the Double Agents Declassified preview episode, I'd also recommend this article, which is also a good who's who for the season, because in fairness the hardest part about getting hooked on the show is being unfamiliar with the cast, but once you're in, you're in... :D

https://sportingnews.com/us/amp/other-sports/news/the-challenge-mtv-double-agents-cast-format-watch/1kcnb3m3g0txg1wrscfr07g6at

The Season Premiere was great. There isn't any players I actively hate this season, and even the Rookies all seem pretty decent, which is always a good start.

Based on the way the game is structured this season, I think it has the potential to be one of the best yet.

Actually, as well as the Double Agents Declassified preview episode, I'd also recommend this article, which is also a good who's who for the season, because in fairness the hardest part about getting hooked on the show is being unfamiliar with the cast, but once you're in, you're in... :D

https://sportingnews.com/us/amp/other-sports/news/the-challenge-mtv-double-agents-cast-format-watch/1kcnb3m3g0txg1wrscfr07g6at
    To me there's nothing more The Challenge than having a preview article about the upcoming season be dominated by Johnny Bananas, a contestant who isn't even on this season. I continue to find it odd that the show relies so much on returning contestants and the Vets/Rookies dynamic.

In saying that I found that season opener to be a lot more accessible than previous attempts I've made at getting into this show. Maybe it helps that I am familiar with about half the cast.

To me there's nothing more The Challenge than having a preview article about the upcoming season be dominated by Johnny Bananas, a contestant who isn't even on this season. I continue to find it odd that the show relies so much on returning contestants and the Vets/Rookies dynamic.

In saying that I found that season opener to be a lot more accessible than previous attempts I've made at getting into this show. Maybe it helps that I am familiar with about half the cast.

To be fair, its hard to talk about The Challenge without talking about Bananas, he's been on more seasons than anyone, has history with so many of them, and has the most wins under his belt. Personally, I'm glad to have a break from Bananas for a season or so, but I'm sure he'll get referenced more than a couple of times.

I think once you've watched a few seasons, you get really invested in the vets/rookie thing and look forward to seeing who'll be back each season, what past rivalries will be dragged up, and which rookies will impress. I did find it a bit odd to get my head around when I first started watching, but now I'd hate to see a season of The Challenge with entirely new cast members. Returning characters each season is what makes it more enjoyable than other Reality Competition Shows.

Yeah, it's just a differently approach to a reality competition show, I've never thought of it as bad or the wrong approach though. The big downside is the difficulty in finding a logical starting point for those new to the show. The big upside is the dense history between players that enriches each season.

The last season I tried watching I think there was a massive blow up in Episode 1 as they decided on who to put forward for the Elimination Competition. The entire argument was based on what felt like the aftermath of the previous season and I had literally no idea what was going on so just gave up. This weeks episode had none of that. I think it did a really good job at emphasising the fact that pre-existing relationships are there but those relationships weren't pivotal to the ongoing action beyond 'everyone knows that these guys have both won before'.

I started watching when the Dirty Thirty season was on. It was kind of the start of a trilogy of seasons so it was a decent starting point for me.
    Agree about Bananas, very hard not to reference him when so many vets have been aligned/vendettas with him. Loved the dynamic with him and Wes last season. Am very very glad of another break from Paulie and Cara Maria. I really liked Cara when she focused on competing but now she's bitter AF and Paulie is a tool. Took great joy in watching him watch his brother win BB US while he sat at home.

I didn't manage to wait to watch the season opener. Really enjoyed both that and the preview, don't think I've ever watched the preview episodes before. Few cast that I'm not arsed are there but US rookies seem decent. Lolo is unreal in the challenges but I don't know how she will deal with the rest of the game. Not loving the new UK additions really but glad Big T is back. Think Kyle needs a season off.
    CT has totally turned his dad bod around. Hoping he stays. Wish they didn't do the cliffhanger ending though.
    Natalie from Survivor is a great addition too and I'm looking forward to seeing how she plays the strategic aspect.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Think Kyle needs a season off.

I'm actually interested to see how he does this season, because its his first season without any drama of Cara Maria and Paulie, no brown-nosing Bananas, and none of his big UK allies/frenemies like Jenny, Georgia, Bear, Rogan, Joss, Melissa, Theo etc. knocking about.

Himself and Big T are they only UK vets this season right? Or am I forgetting someone? Big T is new enough she'll have an attachment to the UK Rookies, but Kyle would be closer to the US crew at this stage and well liked enough by most of them and he's a pretty good competitor, so I want to see who he'll be loyal to and how he'll play without all the people mentioned above around.

I kind of see this season as a chance for him to shine and prove himself in his own right, without any of the baggage from his previous appearances.

I just think a season off would give us a chance to enjoy him more iykwim?

They might as well have called that episode "Rookies Gonna Rookie"... A masterclass in how not to play the game...

Say what you like about Kyle pooch, I like how he stirs thing up and says whatever the hell he wants to say, repercussions be damned.

And props to Big T, here confessionals are always great fun...

giphy.gif

Just to be clear, I actually really like Kyle and have loved seeing Non GS Kyle. I just felt like a season off would have done him good. That being said, he was back on form last night. That Joseph dweeb deserved what came to him. Loved Kyle calling out Fessy afterwards. No logical reason why he wouldn't have gone in. Wonder will him and Aneesa tell Kyle they knew how he voted?

• Advertisement

Definitely in for the long haul after these first few episodes. I've heard it being said elsewhere but this season is quite accessible, especially with the aid of the episode 0. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Definitely in for the long haul after these first few episodes. I've heard it being said elsewhere but this season is quite accessible, especially with the aid of the episode 0. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Yay! Glad you're enjoying it.

Getting through your first few episodes is always the hard part, but after a few seasons you'll wonder why you didn't start watching sooner... especially as the game changes season to season to keep things fresh, sometimes they play in big teams, sometimes as duos, sometimes as individuals, and the way voting happens is always different. So unlike say Big Brother US where everything is so frustratingly predictable, The Challenge will always keep you on your toes.

Sat down to watch this week's episode, only to find there is no episode this week...

Was looking forward to that...

What a disappointing way to end a sh*t year...

giphy.gif

I will never get tired of TJ Lavin breaking his hole laughing at the idiocy of certain players during Challenges... It's just pure unbridled joy and it makes me happy seeing him having so much fun... :D

I will never get tired of TJ Lavin breaking his hole laughing at the idiocy of certain players during Challenges... It's just pure unbridled joy and it makes me happy seeing him having so much fun... :D

Happened this week too. Both people in the elimination got the piss ripped out of them for different reasons. :)

The first challenge was fun too.

Happened this week too. Both people in the elimination got the piss ripped out of them for different reasons. :)

The first challenge was fun too.

Yeah, it was the least exciting elimination of the season, but it made up for it in hilarity. The mocking from the peanut gallery and TJ in hysterics is always great. And looks like next week is the Trivia Challenge, so cue lots more laughter from TJ.

There's a lot of quality talking heads this season too ; Kyle, Devin, CT, Big T, and Kam are my favourites for confessionals. With no Bananas and Wes gone early on, I was a bit concerned the talking heads wouldn't be up to scratch.

TJ's maniacal laughter during the trivia challenge was amazing. :o

TJ's maniacal laughter during the trivia challenge was amazing. :o

I never expected anything less. He loves the Trivia challenge. :D

Still on board but there's definitely something about the show that makes me think this just isn't 100% for me. Not sure if it's this cast or the show itself so will probably stick, with it for now to see if it grows more on me.

• Advertisement

Another good one this week. I think the twist at the end is just a replacement for
    Lolo
    . If it was a girls week, they could be
    forced to compete to earn their place back in the competition
    . See what happens next week I guess. :o

Advertisement