Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The disabled just staying home when they cannot mask up

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

imfml wrote: »
    Where would you go if you could wear a mask? I wear a mask doing the weekly shop. Apart from that I never wear one because I work from home and only meet family and friends for walks outdoors...

I shop online. So very rare I need to wear a mask also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

beauf wrote: »
    Messed up everyone's life. Nothing special about that.

I have been of the opinion for some time we should open up more and take a few risks not because I have any data to support it because I don't my reaction is an emotional one.

Lots of people have lost their jobs and the world to me feels like a much smaller place.

Too be honest even the supermarket that knows of my situation makes me uneasy I don't want to be the only person without a face covering if I see one or two other people without them I kind of feel at ease a bit more.

I do drive thankfully and when I fill up I pay at the pump by card.

I am sorry my intention was not to wind people up I just hate 2020 with a passion.
    I am not the big man that stands up I mostly just go along with the rules and moan.

Surly the nation can not take another year of the same?

imfml wrote: »
    Where would you go if you could wear a mask? I wear a mask doing the weekly shop. Apart from that I never wear one because I work from home and only meet family and friends for walks outdoors. You can do your shopping in your local shop that knows your situation. Seems sensible to do it at a quiet time too, and remember people may expect you to give them more space to avoid putting them at risk if you are mask less. Covid anxiety is real and people are trying to protect their health. Where else are you so keen to go that needs a mask?

The bit in bold I don't really know to be honest not much open I suppose.

I think maybe the fact I know I am restricted makes me feel I want to get out more.
    But if I could get out more without stress I might not bother if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maybe I should rephrase I just wish this whole situation was gone.

The whole issue of masks seems to have become political.

Communication is something I struggle with instead on saying I am against masks what I should be saying is this whole situation is awkward for me and want 2019 back.

I am against the overly strict with no exceptions mask rules or perceived because it messes my life up.

Says the man that's called them face nappies...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The bit in bold I don't really know to be honest not much open I suppose.

I think maybe the fact I know I am restricted makes me feel I want to get out more.
    But if I could get out more without stress I might not bother if that makes any sense.

We all know we are restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

Hopefully it won’t be another year, assuming the vaccines rollout successfully.

However there’s not really much choice. It’s not a political issue. Either we deal with the reality of controlling the spread of the virus, or we don’t and we deal with the reality of overloading the hospitals and have spikes in death rates.

So far, we’ve managed to keep things ticking over and with enormous disruptions that we have had no option but to just deal with.

It’s not a nice situation, but we are where we are and all we can do is use the tools at our disposal to ensure we get out the other side.

Wearing masks is annoying. Socially distancing is unpleasant and goes against the grain for most of us, but that’s where we are until we get the technical solutions in place to end the pandemic.

It’s a lesson, hard learned, that we aren’t as invincible as we think. We live in a very highly adapted, precarious balance where our immunity to viruses and bacteria keeps us in existence.

Unfortunately, in this case, the choices we have at our disposal are limited and all we can do is try and get out of this as best as we can.

It would be lovely if we could just wish this away, but we can’t and that’s just the reality of it.

I have been of the opinion for some time we should open up more and take a few risks n...

That's exactly whats IS happening.

You drive, don't have to get public transport.
    You're an essential worker, still working.
    You choosing to avoid shops, so thats not an issue.
    You're allowed out, but your choosing not to go out.

Even if all the restrictions were lifted, which you're not effected by anyway because of the above. You now say that wouldn't be doing anything would conflict with the restrictions anyway.

So basically the rules aren't causing you an issue because you never come into conflict with them anyway.

Wear a motorcycle helmet. Or wrap a scarf up over your mouth.

In fairness, if someone wants to avoid people in masks, (doctors and nurses), and wearing a mask is impossible (ventilators). Then I guess going to any medical facility, and any medical treatment is not really going to be option either.

Saying they MUST be worn is one extreme that was the counter extreme.

They are something I and many others cannot wear and it is not all due to breathing problems.

I do have breathing problems but not being able to ware a covering is down to another problem.

Going to one supermarket at a quiet time is the extent of my face to face dealings with a business.
    All other things I buy have been online.

Many people are not required to don a face covering and being one of them I don't like to push it I feel like my world has gotten much smaller.

Back in March and April I was still doing my shopping at any time I liked in any of the local supermarkets I cannot remember now when the requirement for masks came in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I am sorry for the face nappies comments.

Here is my situation I cannot manage to wear a mask and I am not alone in this.

Saying at home feels like not living just existing.

I know their is a virus and it is worse for some people and I am guessing I might be in the at risk category but I am not trying to be flippant but it should be my risk to take.

I have suffered a number of chest infections and they have hit me hard but I just find the panic about covid too much.

Right now I feel trapped and I feel the risk of living my life is worth it I just feel uneasy about other peoples reactions.

Yes I have breathing problems and this is not the main reason I cannot wear a mask.

But right now I am more nervous about other peoples reactions than I am about catching covid.
    I have asthma and at this time of the year, especially with the high humidity and very low temperatures at present, I need to use inhalers daily however at no point do I think that I should not wear a face mask when in public areas. I may have covid19 now and be asymptomatic so I don't won't to risk passing it on to someone else, especially someone who could end up succumbing to it.

OP, can you please explain what medical condition you have that you feel that not wearing a mask in public and therefore putting members of the public at risk of contracting the disease is deemed to be socially acceptable? I certainly don't think my condition warrants not wearing a mask.

Wear a motorcycle helmet. Or wrap a scarf up over your mouth.

..or just stay 2m+ away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

..or just stay 2m+ away from people.

Not much use in a room since it is aerosol spread

That's exactly whats IS happening.

You drive, don't have to get public transport.
    You're an essential worker, still working.
    You choosing to avoid shops, so thats not an issue.
    You're allowed out, but your choosing not to go out.

Even if all the restrictions were lifted, which you're not effected by anyway because of the above. You now say that wouldn't be doing anything would conflict with the restrictions anyway.

So basically the rules aren't causing you an issue because you never come into conflict with them anyway.

The one change I have made is to shop early when the supermarket is almost empty.
    I am choosing to avoid shops yes not because I am super afraid of covid I am avoiding them because I cannot wear a mask and I don't want the hassle.

I am not the only person all I am asking is that people with an exemption are cut them a bit of slack these people most likely already feel awkward and are not going to want to hang around too long anyway.
    Even after saying that for the duration of this whole situation I am likely to avoid most shops anyway.

Going to one supermarket at a quiet time is the extent of my face to face dealings with a business....

You don't NEED to do that either. Most things can be ordered online. You said you were saying at home and avoiding it.

Mind you you also said you had "significant contact" with colleagues who had the virus, and I assume all continue to work in the same place.

These kinda things have a way of fixing themselves.

The one change I have made is to shop early when the supermarket is almost empty.
    I am choosing to avoid shops yes not because I am super afraid of covid I am avoiding them because I cannot wear a mask and I don't want the hassle.

I am not the only person all I am asking is that people with an exemption are cut them a bit of slack these people most likely already feel awkward and are not going to want to hang around too long anyway.
    Even after saying that for the duration of this whole situation I am likely to avoid most shops anyway.

If you are avoiding people with masks, and keeping 2m+ away from them. Then there isn't an issue.

It's time to explain what happens when you put on a mask. Like actually tell us what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,033 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Post history is a bit different the sob story being spun now.
    I don't wear a mask and lunatic posts like this will not make me change my mind.
    I do not use public transport and any business I go into I do not wear a mask.
    If any business tries to challenge me they will lose my business.
    I am not sick I will not be wearing a mask.

Also, seems you have the answer all along
    Fair play to you online shopping is a Godsend.

As regards the bit in bold seeing him of TV never helps me either.

You don't NEED to do that either. Most things can be ordered online. You said you were saying at home and avoiding it.

Mind you you also said you had "significant contact" with colleagues who had the virus, and I assume all continue to work in the same place.

These kinda things have a way of fixing themselves.

In work we are not on top of each other however I will say the 2M rule went out the widow sometime ago.

I keep my distance as much as I can.

Mask exemption is no problem in work and most other people have it off half the time anyway.

I have to work it's not something I feel like I really have a choice in.

khalessi wrote: »
    Not much use in a room since it is aerosol spread

Well don't go into a small room which has a load of people without masks in it?

• Advertisement

..Mask exemption is no problem in work ...

That multiple colleagues got it would tend to disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So you are well enough to work with others without wearing a mask - but yet wearing one causes tremendous physical difficulties - that are not related to breathing.

I too am very curious about the nature of your condition.

Arghus wrote: »
    So you are well enough to work with others without wearing a mask - but yet wearing one causes tremendous physical difficulties.

Does it really matter. He's effectively self isolating with the exception of his close living contract with his elderly parents and close contact with work colleagues who have already got the virus at least once.

Mellor wrote: »
    Post history is a bit different the sob story being spun now.

Also, seems you have the answer all along

Post history is bravado in reality I avoid conflict.

My point with past posts was there was a lawful exemption in place.

I will admit I am a keyboard warrior I am being honest now the real world is very different.
    Getting an odd look from somebody or feeling ill at ease is a very different beast than posting on an anonymous forum.
    I can act like I don't care what other people think online in reality I am always worried what others think.

This is not solely about me others have similar issues and they feel very uneasy going anywhere at the moment.

I just think people should realise this and maybe not be so judgemental of others in public.

I don't try to spin a story either rather a narrative and the narrative of Cinemaguy was there was an exemption in place and be very assertive about it.

The person behind the Cinemaguy username myself is not assertive I used the persona just to try and get the issue heard.

The real me does not want to be around a situation where I feel uneasy or unwelcome and there are plenty of others like me.

I also don't believe half the people here are really as outspoken as their online boards persona.

I have not come into conflict with anybody over the issue and I avoid shops as much as possible and when I do go in I feel uneasy.

So you are well enough to work with others without wearing a mask - but yet wearing one causes tremendous physical difficulties - that are not related to breathing.

I never said that bit in bold.

This was why I was using the false bravado telling people not to be nosey.
    It's not something I want to share and it is not something I am required to share.

Nonetheless it is real.

Post history is bravado in reality I avoid conflict.

My point with past posts was there was a lawful exemption in place.

I will admit I am a keyboard warrior I am being honest now the real world is very different.
    Getting an odd look from somebody or feeling ill at ease is a very different beast than posting on an anonymous forum.
    I can act like I don't care what other people think online in reality I am always worried what others think.

This is not solely about me others have similar issues and they feel very uneasy going anywhere at the moment.

I just think people should realise this and maybe not be so judgemental of others in public.

I don't try to spin a story either rather a narrative and the narrative of Cinemaguy was there was an exemption in place and be very assertive about it.

The person behind the Cinemaguy username myself is not assertive I used the persona just to try and get the issue heard.

The real me does not want to be around a situation where I feel uneasy or unwelcome and there are plenty of others like me.

I also don't believe half the people here are really as outspoken as their online boards persona.

I have not come into conflict with anybody over the issue and I avoid shops as much as possible and when I do go in I feel uneasy.
    To ask the question again, as has been asked multiple times, what is the actual reason that does not allow you to wear a face covering when in a public area? A personal preference to not wear one is not acceptable.

highdef wrote: »
    To ask the question again, as has been asked multiple times, what is the actual reason that does not allow you to wear a face covering when in a public area? A personal preference to not wear one is not acceptable.

Let me just say I have medical documentation to back this up and I had it long before covid.
    It is personal and private and not something I am required to disclose but I do carrie a digital copy of this with me all the time just incase I should need it.

Please listen to my point here there are many others too it is not just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I never said that bit in bold.

This was why I was using the false bravado telling people not to be nosey.
    It's not something I want to share and it is not something I am required to share.

Nonetheless it is real.

People are going to ask because it looks like the only reason you don't want to wear a mask is because you don't want to wear a mask, to be honest. You've admitted that it doesn't cause breathing difficulties and that it doesn't cause physical difficulties for you.

As a reader it's hard to take what you say at face value because you claim that you can't wear one, but yet you can't state why that is. It's not a state secret that you are being asked to give up here.

But, let's say for the sake of argument, that you have some serious reason for not wearing a mask - though it really reads that you simply don't want to - then you aren't obligated to wear one, it is that simple. Everyone sees people every day that are maskless.

Let me just say I have medical documentation to back this up and I had it long before covid.
    It is personal and private and not something I am required to disclose but I do carrie a digital copy of this with me all the time just incase I should need it.

And how do you present this digital copy to someone who requires evidence of it? Is it a text based digital copy that any Joe Soap can understand?

Why are you freely talking about your agenda on a public forum yet are so so so secretive as to what the background to your agenda is? You're certainly not helping when you give so little detail to aid your cause

• Advertisement

People are going to ask because it looks like the only reason you don't want to wear a mask is because you don't want to wear a mask, to be honest. You've admitted that it doesn't cause breathing difficulties and that it doesn't cause physical difficulties for you.

As a reader it's hard to take what you say at face value because you claim that you can't wear one, but yet you can't state why that is. It's not a state secret that you are being asked to give up here.

It does cause me breathing difficulties I never said it did not but if it was just this I would be able to put up with it.

I am being very precise with my language here it does not cause physical difficulties but it does cause overwhelming difficulties for me and many others in the same boat and they are not mental difficulties.

It is so obvious yet you are oblivious and I am not trying to tease you this is a private matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement