Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm with you now Tayto, throws up another question though how could we have any clue of the long term effects. It'll hardly be approved.

Yes a 94% effective vaccine won't be approved. That makes perfect sense.

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hmmm wrote: »
    It's not going to be much use finding out it's safe in 5 years time.

Trials are ongoing, regulators are reviewing the data, so far it is proving much safer than getting the virus.

Agree but not much use if the women who get it find they can't form a placenta and we're left breeding with the antivaxers.

You can hardly compare it to getting the virus we've tested on probably 600 million versus the 30,000 odd with the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Agree but not much use if the women who get it find they can't form a placenta and we're left breeding with the antivaxers.
    I don't think the antivaxers will be breeding anytime soon.
    https://www.lx.com/coronavirus/another-reason-to-wear-a-mask-covid-19-may-cause-erectile-dysfunction/25830/

By the time younger people are offered the vaccine we will have plenty of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hmmm wrote: »

Not to worry Pfizer has them taken care of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You can hardly compare it to getting the virus we've tested on probably 600 million versus the 30,000 odd with the vaccine.

This is the last time I'm quoting this warning, it's cards and bans from now on for this sort of stuff
    Mod: The purpose of this thread is baked into the title - COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures - it's not a platform to push an anti vaccination agenda. If posters wish to discuss the perceived cons of vaccinations, or push various theories regarding 'the agenda' (whatever that is supposed to mean), open a thread elsewhere on it.

Take that stuff to another thread or the Conspiracy Theory Forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Also not a bad hypothesis from David Higgins

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1334920654504644608?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Yes, if you can encode the protein with mRNA (should be basically any protein that a living cell can produce) then you can make a vaccine that creates an immune response against it. There might be ways how to solve some auto-immune disorders as well by creating proteins that bind to rouge antibodies but don't block the bodies own signaling proteins for the same receptors.

Hmmzis could you elaborate on how it may solve some auto immune disorders or point towards a link with some information. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have found Australia seem to be the slowest. But its true to say a lot of Med Device companies go foe CE approval well in advance of submitting to the FDA.

Interestingly having experienced regulatory body audits by FDA, Korea, Japan, Brazil, China, Australia and a number of notified bodies, by far and away the toughest auditors are those from HPRA

Yes tell me about it the TGA also known as the Therapeutic Thorough Goods Administration.

I have worked on Products that were in the field in Japan, SK and Australia for 2 years before submitted to FDA as they are able to iron out problems and it’s easier if the device been on the market beforehand. With FDA you change a few words in the service manual and it’s costs something like $28K

CE mark usually just means you won’t cut or burn yourself on the device and it doesn’t harm the environment, it’s not as extensive as proving it does what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

speckle wrote: »
    Hmmzis could you elaborate on how it may solve some auto immune disorders or point towards a link with some information. thanks

Honestly, that was just me pondering around the topic of what might be sort of possible to do - it's proteins on top of proteins after all.
    Now that you asked I did a quick google search, just to see what the proper smart people think about it. Well, they're already doing stuff:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-builds-clinical-validation-systemic-delivery-two

There is also a mention of an antibody delivered this way. Probably for people who can't make antibodies due to various immune system conditions.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yes tell me about it the TGA also known as the Therapeutic Thorough Goods Administration.

I have worked on Products that were in the field in Japan, SK and Australia for 2 years before submitted to FDA as they are able to iron out problems and it’s easier if the device been on the market beforehand. With FDA you change a few words in the service manual and it’s costs something like $28K

CE mark usually just means you won’t cut or burn yourself on the device and it doesn’t harm the environment, it’s not as extensive as proving it does what it says on the tin.

Interestingly recently we have had a couple of product go to the us first. This was unheard of up to a couple of years ago

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Honestly, that was just me pondering around the topic of what might be sort of possible to do - it's proteins on top of proteins after all.
    Now that you asked I did a quick google search, just to see what the proper smart people think about it. Well, they're already doing stuff:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-builds-clinical-validation-systemic-delivery-two

There is also a mention of an antibody delivered this way. Probably for people who can't make antibodies due to various immune system conditions.

Thanks reading that has made curiouser and curiouser like Alice getting lost down a rabbit hole of new interesting things to read.
    My oh my, they have alot of fingers in many different pies. I wonder if they will eventually be able to personally tailor some of it ...out of ones own rna, so as to not have the sense of 'other' than yourself doing the delievery/repair. The tech might even be able to possibly help diabetes T1 or even restore sight for some, as long as it works with no unintended side effects downstream.
    Which brings me back to a dream last April I had re being able to glue/bind the two ends of the sars coV 2 rna together to make it inert. (any nfp scientists out there want to run with my crazy idea?)
    Maybe someday I might be able to work with agencys overseas like my friends which I cant at the moment due to medical reasons.
    Anyhow that made my saturday night with nothing open and just the wind gusting and hail beating down outside, much less boring.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

speckle wrote: »
    Thanks reading that has made curiouser and curiouser like Alice getting lost down a rabbit hole of new interesting things to read.
    My oh my, they have alot of fingers in many different pies. I wonder if they will eventually be able to personally tailor some of it ...out of ones own rna, so as to not have the sense of 'other' than yourself doing the delievery/repair. The tech might even be able to possibly help diabetes T1 or even restore sight for some, as long as it works with no unintended side effects downstream.
    Which brings me back to a dream last April I had re being able to glue/bind the two ends of the sars coV 2 rna together to make it inert. (any nfp scientists out there want to run with my crazy idea?)
    Maybe someday I might be able to work with agencys overseas like my friends which I cant at the moment due to medical reasons.
    Anyhow that made my saturday night with nothing open and just the wind gusting and hail beating down outside, much less boring.
    Thanks

Today is Friday

Today is Friday

It's the covid time warp. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Wasn't it suggested that with one of the mRNA vaccines, immunity with the vaccine is better than wild immunity? If so, even in the worst case scenario (which is doubtful) that it lasts 3 months, our t-cells and antibodies will be on f*cking anabolic steroids and ready to Thanos snap any virus particles that make their way into the body.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Gael23 wrote: »

I think that they have made some errors but they've always erred on the side of (extreme) caution. Never mind them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Also not a bad hypothesis from David Higgins

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1334920654504644608?s=21

It may have been discussed on thread already, but if they manage to lash through all staff and patients of nursing homes, is there a risk of false side effects impacting the public’s perception of the vaccine?

How many residents pass away every month in nursing homes? I wonder will families of those begin to question its safety.

Then onto the general public. Let’s just say we get the vast majority done in 6-9 months. There’ll definitely be confirmation bias when someone says “oh I had a terrible X days after the vaccine” and the one thing we’ll all have in common is recently vaccinated.

Has such a wide scale vaccination happened before? At least with age-based vaccinations, correlations can be drawn. But everything from mild colds to more serious diagnoses will likely have people skeptical as they’ve “recently” taken the vaccine.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    If so, even in the worst case scenario (which is doubtful) that it lasts 3 months, our t-cells and antibodies will be on f*cking anabolic steroids and ready to Thanos snap any virus particles that make their way into the body.

Well if they only last 3 months you can have some of my t-cells... they are probably way more primed and snappidity.. in fact they never shut up... so unruly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Another way to get people take the vaccine maybe to pay people. Maybe give them a few hundred euro for taking the vaccine or additional tax credits or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Is the ex presidents actually taking the vaccine live on air?

Or is it just talk for now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

wes wrote: »
    Another way to get people take the vaccine maybe to pay people. Maybe give them a few hundred euro for taking the vaccine or additional tax credits or something like that.

Or vouchers to be spent in businesses that had close for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Is the ex presidents actually taking the vaccine live on air?

Or is it just talk for now

Yeah, it is just talk for now, with the vaccines not yet having been approved. They,ve been responsible, by not getting themselves sick, forcing doctors to administer unapproved medication to save their sorry asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Biden and Harris will also take it, once it's approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

It may have been discussed on thread already, but if they manage to lash through all staff and patients of nursing homes, is there a risk of false side effects impacting the public’s perception of the vaccine?

How many residents pass away every month in nursing homes? I wonder will families of those begin to question its safety.

Then onto the general public. Let’s just say we get the vast majority done in 6-9 months. There’ll definitely be confirmation bias when someone says “oh I had a terrible X days after the vaccine” and the one thing we’ll all have in common is recently vaccinated.

Has such a wide scale vaccination happened before? At least with age-based vaccinations, correlations can be drawn. But everything from mild colds to more serious diagnoses will likely have people skeptical as they’ve “recently” taken the vaccine.

Derek's latest blog post touches on that topic as well, he has a few numbers that highlight the perception problem at hand. Us humans are very prone to confirmation bias.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/04/get-ready-for-false-side-effects

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yes I have Cystic Fibrosis so I'll be taking it at the 1st oppurtunity I'd like to resume my somewhat normal life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The WHO still on about this :

"Vaccination will add a major, major, powerful tool to the tool kit that we have. But by themselves, they will not do the job."

So still restrictions and lockdowns alongside the vaccine? What the hell would the point of the vaccine then!? Feck off.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭jackboy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The WHO still on about this :

"Vaccination will add a major, major, powerful tool to the tool kit that we have. But by themselves, they will not do the job."

So still restrictions and lockdowns alongside the vaccine? What the hell would the point of the vaccine then!? Feck off.......

If restrictions are lifted before enough are vaxxed there could be a massive death rate. It is scaremongering to prevent that happening. Similar to the ‘masks are dangerous’ stuff pushed out last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A lot of the "vaccines will not solve things" comments are from the WHO who are worried about the entire world and rightly so, particularly poorer countries. The reality is that the developed world will have lots of vaccines.

There also seems to be a concern that we won't get enough vaccine, how hard it is to manufacture and distribute etc. I don't share these concerns, governments will spend unlimited sums on getting these vaccines made and distributed.

There's also a concern that vaccine hesitancy will prevent herd immunity. I don't share this concern either, societies are not going to put up with living in lockdown indefinitely because of the risk from unvaccinated people.

The last risk is the risk that the virus mutates, or vaccines deliver short-lived immunity. Vaccines can be changed, and we can get booster shots. Simplistic and naïve I know, but the unknowns that remain don't justify the scary news headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Irish Independent ask people will they take it

Obviously they could've edited this anyway they wanted, but it's great to see people from so many different ages say "yes"

The anti-vaxers don't stand a chance. Polls have them at 30% and I think more will come around to it by March

We got this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement