Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone 4G home broadband now 300gb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The speed cap isn't pro rata on your current speed, everyone will get the same max speed.

Regardless of whether you get 80Mbps or 2Mbps now, it will be max 10Mbps on the new X plan.

Is there not already a speed cap of 10Mbps on the 300GB VF 4G broadband plan?

No one knows yet what Vodafone mean by "unlimited", they're unlikely to allow a 3-like all-you-want situation. It's unlikely they will allow more than 300GB on Vodafone X as they would be competing with themselves.

VF might block any SIM that's not the broadband SIM in the router they supplied so a different device might be needed to test out a PAYG VF X SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Well according to the vodafone website it says the new unlimited plan has no fair usage policy, i will be testing it for the next month and regarding the speed cap 10mbps im pulling over 20.

Taken from vodfone website:
    Yes. Vodafone X does not have any data limits so you’ll have unlimited data, maximum speed 10MB/s, to use in Ireland and Europe. With Vodafone X unlimited really means unlimited.

Taken from extra.ie

Vodafone Ireland has launched an unlimited mobile data offering for new and existing customers, with no fair usage policy restrictions in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I've been using the 4G package with no issues for the last 2.5 years. Do the odd bit of gaming and I've noticed in the last 3 weeks the latency goes through the roof in the evenings where as before I got a steady ping that was grand for games. Anyone experienced the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I've been thinking about changing my plan. I'm eligible for an upgrade and was looking at the Red super, 30GB for €30. That's double what I'm currently getting for only a fiver more a month.

Reason I need to upgrade is I'm moveing a lot more raw video that I shoot. Starting to max out my monthly 15GB more often. I currently have pretty good download and upload speeds. My worry would be changed to a different APN and your speeds throttled.

I got onto vodafone this morning, what a nightmare to actually get to talk to a person, in person, on a phone! For a PHONE company......

Girl I was talking to in India (and struggling to hear/understand) was very pushy about the simply broadband for €40. I had'nt looked into that plan, so I kept asking to upgrade to the Red super for €30. Put me on hold, for 20 mins then said the upgrade dept were very busy and would get back to me. Obviously I'm still waiting.....

Will ring thm back again in the morning. I might actually chance the 300GB plan.

The quality of the vodafone network isnt what it once was , It seems that 3G is now officaly faster than 4G which is completely backwards!! ..
    And now with this unlimited vodafone x its really gonna go downhill one would think!

• Advertisement

robbiep958 wrote: »
    The quality of the vodafone network isnt what it once was , It seems that 3G is now officaly faster than 4G which is completely backwards!! ..
    And now with this unlimited vodafone x its really gonna go downhill one would think!

I'd beg to differ, as my post below will show! (from my experience anyway).

Right, I rang vodafone back again this morning. Got talking to a different girl in India or Pakistan, I'm still not sure if I've sold my soul or agreed to her marriage proposal :pac:

Anyway, after a lot of "sorry, can you repeat" and "sorry, can you speak a little slower" I think I've been upgraded to the 300GB tariff. After getting the confirmation email though, they are sending out a new sim and modem, a "Vodafone WIFI Modem R218 device" :confused: Not bothered with the modem, I've always had my own.

A little history....

I first got mobile broadband/midband back in 2006 or 2008, I can't rightly remember. Back then it was 3G with a mifi dongle on the end of a 18" usb lead. Did the job at the time, worked OK. As the interwebs speeded up, with the likes of youtube and social media being invented, these began to struggle.

Went through many different dongles during the years, each as bad as the previous. Then, around 2011 or 2012 I think it was, I cam across a company in Clare, selling the Dovodo router designed to work with the stick modem. This was a game changer at the time! Set it up in an optimum position and you had pretty good wifi all around the house. (I still use this router, as an AP on the network).

Dovodo Router
    dovodo-router.jpg

Speedtest 3G through Dovodo Router 2013
    Date - Ping - Download - Upload
    test-2013.jpg

In 2015 I upgraded my MBB to 4G and was now getting 15GB for €14.99 a month. I also upgraded my router to the much lauded Hauwei B593.

Hauwei Router

huawei-b593s-22_4g_router.png

These are the results, on average that I was now getting with 4G here.

Speedtest 4G Huawei b593 2015
    test-2015.jpg

In the last year or 18 months or so, there has been a huge improvment in the 4G speeds here. I use a signal checker app and it showed that vodafone have built another mast here near me. The phone seems to connect to the old mast, which is also 4G and the MBB now connects to the new mast. I'm thinking these are seperate networks for data, using different APN's?

Here's my latest speeds. I'll check again when I get moved over to the new tariff, see if there's any change.

Speedtest 4G Huawei b593 2020

test-2019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I'll check again when I get moved over to the new tariff, see if there's any change.

The 300GB plan is capped to 10Mbps according to the terms & conditions on their website.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'd beg to differ, as my post below will show! (from my experience anyway).

Well i guess its all down to location...

On 3G where i live believe it or now i can pull speeds of over 30mpbs!!! And that never drops below 20mbps no matter what time of the day it is.

Regards to 4G ... I can pull speeds of nearly 60mbps but thats at like 2am lol! Middle of the day dont go higher than 5mbps!

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Well i guess its all down to location...

On 3G where i live believe it or now i can pull speeds of over 30mpbs!!! And that never drops below 20mbps no matter what time of the day it is.

Regards to 4G ... I can pull speeds of nearly 60mbps but thats at like 2am lol! Middle of the day dont go higher than 5mbps!

Yeah, its down to contention and location of mast. Vodafone installed a second mast near me about 18mnts ago, that's what my router connects to all the time, even though its a little further than the existing 4g mast.

As regards capping at 10mbs, someone here said they are getting double or trible that? Anyway, if my speeds dropped from 50+mbs to 10mbs, that would still be plenty for me (at the moment anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Has anyone noticed a performance change as a result of this new price plan? I was just talking to Vodafone tech about their crappy service (used to be OK, now grinds to a halt or disconnects completely). The lady was insisting that the new plan guarantees a different/better performance but I don't see how that could be unless they're using some other APN?

My account was switched over to the new 300GB tariff at midnight last night. I did a few speedtests just before and after as well as a few during today. No great difference in speeds. Actually quite happy with them if they stay at this!!

results-22-may.jpg

Has anyone noticed a performance change as a result of this new price plan? I was just talking to Vodafone tech about their crappy service (used to be OK, now grinds to a halt or disconnects completely). The lady was insisting that the new plan guarantees a different/better performance but I don't see how that could be unless they're using some other APN?

Yes, I cant see how they do it either. Surely they are not monitoring every individual number with the capability to cap all speeds individually?

And if the signal is capped en masse, if the cap it so that the person near the mast is at 10, with contention that signal would be at 1 for somebody a few Kms away...

Maybe the idea of a cap is just a PR move so that people getting over 10 feel they are gettig an excellent service?

Vodafon used to say that they took measures to ensure network was never overloaded (unlike 3) but seem to be moving away from this.

Well, 2 days in on this new 300GB plan, and I must say, I'm pretty happy with the speeds! Streamed the local mass this morning for the mother, first time ever it streamed without a dropout or pause!

Am in the process of upgrading my network and adding a media server and connecting up smart tv's. Just as well I've changed to the new plan, I've nearly 10 gig used all ready, in 2 days. that would be 2/3rd's of my old monthly allowence!

One thing to note on this new plan though. If you rely on having to use a VPN, this plan seems to block it. Its blocking the VPN I use, luckily its not often I use it so its not much of a problem.

Speedtests since switching over.

test-24-5-19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Stewball

I can only dream of them speeds. I've been using it for the past two weeks and just cancelled the service within the 14 days. Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

I got a 4G Broadband plan today and so far I'm impressed with the speeds as I am in rural part of Cavan & Leitrim and seeing anything over 10mbps makes my eyes glow lol.

Seeing as I am gonna be working from home and I need a fast internet connection I am getting about 15-25mbps average download speed in my house. I was even getting as near enough to 50mbps in one of the old sheds on my farm but it's a fair distance from my house I may need a lot of cabling to leave it there.
    No sign of a 10mbps speed cap yet. I asked today in the store about the 10mbps cap but the staff there said: "it is there but not really but you'll be averaging 15-30mbps for most of the day".

Whatever the **** that means.

I say they don't know themselves why that is there. I assume in case the unlimited Vodafone X can't handle thousands of users at once Vodafone will decrease the speeds maybe it is just something to cover their ass in case people complain hence why it is in the small print of Simple Broadband plan whereas in the Vodafone X plan it is heavily emphasized.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sorry to bump this thread from last month, but I'm thinking of getting this 300GB 4G Vodafone Simply broadband thing.

It's the only network that gives me reasonable speeds (4-5Mbps) on my phone out at the new house.

Does anyone knowL
    1) if the speeds are limited to 10Mbps (doesn't look like it?)
    2) what add-ons are available for over 300GB usage (I use 700GB on average)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

fifth wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this thread from last month, but I'm thinking of getting this 300GB 4G Vodafone Simply broadband thing.

It's the only network that gives me reasonable speeds (4-5Mbps) on my phone out at the new house.

Does anyone knowL
    1) if the speeds are limited to 10Mbps (doesn't look like it?)
    2) what add-ons are available for over 300GB usage (I use 700GB on average)

Cheers.

My speed is not limited. I think it's an extra €10 a month for 100gb of data

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MFenix

Thanks everyone for the info here.

Does anyone know if the 300GB-capped "Vodafone Simply Broadband 4G" plan is capable of 4G+? I can't for the life of me find out where is read it, but I noticed somewhere that it was restricted to 4G only. I know the modem itself is capable of it (LTE Category 6), but I wondered if there is some network restriction.

Reason I'm asking is that I've done some testing with a different cat-6 router (B525) and a Vodafone PAYG SIM. Speeds are great with that setup. I can enable and disable individual bands and the router has an indicator when connected via 4G+. Speeds on 4G+ are much better.

Thanks for any help you guys have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

MFenix wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the info here.

Does anyone know if the 300GB-capped "Vodafone Simply Broadband 4G" plan is capable of 4G+? I can't for the life of me find out where is read it, but I noticed somewhere that it was restricted to 4G only. I know the modem itself is capable of it (LTE Category 6), but I wondered if there is some network restriction.

Reason I'm asking is that I've done some testing with a different cat-6 router (B525) and a Vodafone PAYG SIM. Speeds are great with that setup. I can enable and disable individual bands and the router has an indicator when connected via 4G+. Speeds on 4G+ are much better.

Thanks for any help you guys have.

4G+ Shows on my Router some of the time ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 MFenix

Thanks - I think I’ll give it a go toward the end of Aug and see how it goes.

Will post results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Can the Vodafone unlimited bill pay sim be used in the likes of a TP link 4g router? I'm shortly moving into a new build yet to be serviced by fibre, the only decent mobile signal is with Vodafone and I am a heavy user and would easily blow through the 300gb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Vodafone service is getting worse and worse every day...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115504292

zom wrote: »
    Vodafone service is getting worse and worse every day...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115504292

Since March I have been using Vodafone 4G consuming about 1TB per month and the service has been perfect for 99% of the time , Only actual downtime was last Friday Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

But broadband from Vodafone is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

zom wrote: »
    But broadband from Vodafone is rubbish

Not in my experience

just wondering has anyone else seen this on their Simply Broadband 4G account page?
    535756.png
    when i click to change plan i now get these options, previously there was nothing available.
    RED Unlimited Max Sim Only is tempting,
    i havent gone thru with it in case its a mistake on their end.

have used VF X in a router for the last month and it was ok, the 10Mb limit is noticeable sometimes.
    With the Simply Broadband 4G im better off to change that to 3G in the evenings lately.

Just wondering if anyone went thru with this?
    thanks

TimHorton wrote: »
    Since March I have been using Vodafone 4G consuming about 1TB per month and the service has been perfect for 99% of the time , Only actual downtime was last Friday Night.

can i ask what plan are you on? &
    do you know what APN you're using?
    don't think i'd ever go over 1TB, but i'm always watching the limit on the 300-400GB cap, would be nice to not have to think about it
    thanks

Lethean wrote: »
    can i ask what plan are you on? &
    do you know what APN you're using?
    don't think i'd ever go over 1TB, but i'm always watching the limit on the 300-400GB cap, would be nice to not have to think about it
    thanks

Its a business plan , No Idea what its called,I am using 2 of these Work Supplied SIMS, Each allows 500gb ,

• Advertisement

ah , ok , thanks,
    nice to have work paying for it :)

Advertisement